Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Radiohead are s hit, and their fans seem to be annoying little twerps with an inflated sense of musical superiority.

But you don't come across like that at all ;)

And how can you say Eminem is crap? His lyrics, rhythms, and rhymes are all incredible, all the time. I'd agree with you on 50, and Jay Z is pretty good, but Eminem is completely incredible.

http://youtu.be/0NjEkruY5TA

Edited for the uncensored version, the clean version has about 60% of the lyrics :p

Incredible rhyming through the whole song :eek:

(skip to around 2:50 there)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Michael Jackson is perhaps the most overrated musician ever, and a vile human being.

Try not to drag this thread off-topic, it happened a while back with the whole John Lennon a wanker thing. This thread is about musicians and our opinions on their music not their personality.

You made a few good points in my opinion, most notably;
    David Bowie is massively overrated.

Bowie is the king of meh.
    Beyonce has some great songs, yet gets lumped in with all the other crap pop acts for some reason.

The same goes for Robbie Williams.
    Eminem, 50 Cent, Jay Z; all the most famous rappers, yet all crap.

All rap is crap.

I wouldn't agree on any of your other arguments. Beady Eye you mentioned are a hugely underrated band. I hate Liam with a burning passion but I don't condemn his band now nor did I with Oasis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

karaokeman wrote: »
    All rap is crap.

Ridiculous statement.

All rap is crap.

Have a listen to the two videos I posted above?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

All rap is crap.
    You haven't heard enough of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

El Pr0n wrote: »
    But you don't come across like that at all ;)

And how can you say Eminem is crap? His lyrics, rhythms, and rhymes are all incredible, all the time. I'd agree with you on 50, and Jay Z is pretty good, but Eminem is completely incredible.

http://youtu.be/0NjEkruY5TA

Edited for the uncensored version, the clean version has about 60% of the lyrics :p

How do I come across that exactly? It;s called unpopular opinions, and my opinion on Eminem is certainly unpopular, but it's my opinion nevertheless and you can't tell me I'm wrong.

How do I come across that exactly? It;s called unpopular opinions, and my opinion on Eminem is certainly unpopular, but it's my opinion nevertheless and you can't tell me I'm wrong.

I was referring to you calling all Radiohead fans 'annoying twerps with an inflated sense of musical superiority'.

In a nutshell;

Take That are an amazing band as singers, songwriters and musicians. They play the best live show ever and their music is constantly changing. And together with Robbie Williams its another story, just incredible. The fab five in my opinion.

U2 and Coldplay are two of the greatest rock bands who ever lived. Most people who hate either are just trying to be cool.

Green Day are better than Metallica, Nirvana, AC/DC and Led Zepellin.

Kelly Clarkson is better than Adele, Alicia Keys and Whitney Houston.

Shania Twain is a very good songwriter.

Red Hot Chili Peppers write good lyrics.

Thin Lizzy were the best metal/hard rock band EVER!!!!!!!!

Blink 182, My Chemical Romance and Fallout Boy all suck. Bands who think they are rock just because they can play hard, seriously what else can these guys do?

The Beatles early stuff is complete and utter diatribe. Yellow Submarine especially is s***.

Madonna and George Michael are both dire, the two most overrated pop stars in music history.

Girls Aloud have some good songs and they are better than they're given credit for. Nadine and Nicola are the two most talented members of the band, they both write their own songs and play instruments.

Beady Eye are actually a very good band but no where near as good as Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds.

Stop Crying Your Heart Out is the best Oasis song.

Radiohead aren't that good I agree with ItsAWindUP on that one. Oasis were right to bash them around all these years.

Everyone loves ABBA, The Carpenters and any power ballads especially Foreigner and REO Speedwagon.

Rap is a load of bull****. That much is obvious from my previous posts about rap.

Eminem is an ok songwriter, I don't really get his appeal. Would rather have Chris Martin, Noel Gallagher, Gary Barlow or Alex Turner as a great lyricist anyday.

The Prodigy are quite overrated but then again that opinion might change when I do get to see them live.

Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash. Neither of them could sing a note.

Will Young can't sing either.

X Factor is absolutely terrible. Especially this year and last, only person worthwhile who came from that show who is likely to have longevity is Leona Lewis.

Modern boybands have no spark whatsoever. McFly, Jonas Brothers, JLS, The Wanted, completely meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

The Beatles early stuff is complete and utter diatribe. Yellow Submarine especially is s***.

I didn't realise that I want to hold your hand was actually an abusive denunciation… Silly me.

Tell one thing though, is the lobotomy reversible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I think you've got the wrong word at the end of the first sentence.

di·a·tribe: a bitter, sharply abusive denunciation, attack, or criticism.

What word did you mean to put in there?

Edit: Damn Android 666 got there first :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

In a nutshell;

Take That are an amazing band as singers, songwriters and musicians. They play the best live show ever and their music is constantly changing. And together with Robbie Williams its another story, just incredible. The fab five in my opinion.
    I have to say, I've been at a live show (for free, long story :P ) and it was actually really brilliant entertainment.
    U2 and Coldplay are two of the greatest rock bands who ever lived. Most people who hate either are just trying to be cool.
    If U2 had stopped in the 90s and Coldplay had stopped about halfway through the 2nd album, I'd more or less agree with you. I still love Parachutes.
    Another band who should have stopped earlier. After Insomniac would've been on the highest note, but I'll say after Nimrod because of Hitchin' A Ride. Either way, before Warning.
    I still wouldn't put them above any of the other bands mentioned though, particularly Led Zeppelin.
    Don't know enough about these singers to comment fairly, but in terms of her vocal ability, she's not better than Whitney Houston anyway. Songs might be better, I don't know.
    "Ok, so you got a car... That don't impress me much"
    Please.
    Present tense, no.
    BSSM is still one of my favourite albums, but Californication should have been the stopping point.
    They really weren't. Good band, but not the best by a long way.
    Blink 182, My Chemical Romance and Fallout Boy all suck. Bands who think they are rock just because they can play hard, seriously what else can these guys do?
    At times, they can do/have done a lot more than Green Day. But overall, they're not great.
    Look up what diatribe means.
    Madonna and George Michael are both dire, the two most overrated pop stars in music history.
    Most overrated? Come on now.
    Girls Aloud have some good songs and they are better than they're given credit for. Nadine and Nicola are the two most talented members of the band, they both write their own songs and play instruments.
    They are far worse than they are given credit for, like most musicians.
    Beady Eye are actually a very good band but no where near as good as Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds.
    Don't know enough to comment, I've only heard two songs by Beady Eye and none by NGHFB (!) I wasn't impressed with Beady Eye at all though.
    Not a massive Oasis fan, but Supersonic, Morning Glory and Live Forever are far better songs off the top of my head.
    Radiohead aren't that good I agree with ItsAWindUP on that one. Oasis were right to bash them around all these years.
    Radiohead are excellent, the Gallagher brothers are annoying petty mudslingers.
    Everyone loves ABBA, The Carpenters and any power ballads especially Foreigner and REO Speedwagon.
    Beyond ridiculous. Foreigner though are actually a pretty good band, beyond the cheese factor of certain tracks.
    Rap is a load of bull****. That much is obvious from my previous posts about rap.
    I agree that rap tracks that tend to make the charts are awful club-bangers. There really is so much great music in the genre though. Even popular rappers will usually have terrible money-making singles, with pretty good album tracks behind them. Eminem would be a good example of that.
    Eminem is an ok songwriter, I don't really get his appeal. Would rather have Chris Martin, Noel Gallagher, Gary Barlow or Alex Turner as a great lyricist anyday.
    Basically I disagree.
    The Prodigy are quite overrated but then again that opinion might change when I do get to see them live.
    Music for the Jilted Generation is really excellent, as is most of the earlier material. I lost interest with the newer stuff, but of what I heard it seems ok.
    Didn't really matter. By the standards of really excellent singers, most popular artists are shite. It's not always about technical accuracy in performance. The people you've cited as good singers? Maria Callas and Pavarotti they ain't.
    As above.
    X Factor is absolutely terrible. Especially this year and last, only person worthwhile who came from that show who is likely to have longevity is Leona Lewis.
    Agreed, except for the Leona Lewis comment.
    Modern boybands have no spark whatsoever. McFly, Jonas Brothers, JLS, The Wanted, completely meh.
    Yeah.

In a nutshell;

Wouldn't disagree.

Neither have been good in years.

Maybe better than AC/DC, but that wouldn't be hard.

She's not technically a better singer than Whitney Houston.

Very debatable.

No.

Pff.

I didn't realise this was an unpopular opinion.

Oh, words and their meanings...

Well that's just not true.

They have a couple of catchy songs.

Unimpressed by either band.

I don't really like any Oasis songs, but I can think of better ones than this.

Radiohead are, were and always will be a million times better than Oasis ever were, even if Oasis were half the band they thought they were.

I don't think I've met anyone who denies themselves a bit of ABBA.

Utter rubbish. I seriously doubt you've listened to "all rap" to be in a position to make such an absurd statement.

Eminem is a better songwriter than any of the above, and also far more iconic than all of them.

No, they're not.

Very debatable on the Johnny Cash issue, but it doesn't really matter anyway.

Who cares?

Leona Lewis is sh*te too.

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

:pac:

U2 are one of the greatest rock bands even if they never make a good record (and they haven't for decades). Coldplay have one good album, the rest varies from decent to atrocious - they are not a great rock band.
    Some of the hate stems from the fact that the frontmen of both bands are utter gob****es though.

No they're not and I have no great love for 3/4 of those bands you mentioned. Green Day were never even a good punk band. American Idiot is a testament to their pomposity and utter stupidity

Anthony Kiedis is bar a couple of exceptions, a horrible writer and a stain on an otherwise talented band (and I like RHCP)

My disenchanted diplomat,. asleep inside the laundromat :confused::D

Define early stuff - I see this opinion trotted out on a regular basis yet there is no specificity- is it all the albums up until Revolver or is it after With the Beatles? They are some great songs on Help, Hard Days Night and Rubber Soul

Both are ****e and have been creatively bereft of ideas for decades

I suppose it was easier to criticise their peers than to look critically at the ****e they produced themselves. The Gallaghers are great at getting press attention but not so great at actually writing songs.

:pac:

None of the above are great lyricists

Leona who? Oh yeah she's best known for a cover of a cover of a cover :)
    Like much of the ephemera that defines the weird and wonderful world of the X-Factor, contestants and winners are now largely irrelevant. The X-Factor is principally a vehicle for the huge egos of the judges

What do you expect from eunuchs?

In a nutshell;

Take That are… completely meh.

I'm not going to quote the whole thing because it is too long but I'm going to address a couple of things. You seem to live in MOR land in which the safest option is the best and it seems extraordinarily dull. All the people you list as being good are people that are or have become devoid of any personality or tension in their music. Christ, it's beyond boring. Not something I'd normally recommend but you need to invest in some class As and some totally out there music. Listen to music that makes you feel alive whether it's through being a relentless punishment, a cradle of sadness or a melody that makes you take flight. Not music that sits in this bland soup like Shania fúcking Twain or the fúcking Script or U2 or whatever lumpen bollocks that constitutes AOR these days. Listen to Slint, Mogwai, Super Furry Animals, Fúcked Up, The Eels, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Carcass, Napalm Death, Underworld, B12, Joy Orbison, Roy Orbison, Hüsker Dü, Jesus Lizard, Ministry, Radiohead, Brendan Benson, Portishead, Massive Attack, Steven Jesse Bernstein, Death, Aphex Twin, George Fitzgerald, Autechre, The Shins, And You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead…, They Might be Giants, Big Star, Ben Folds, Martyn, The Mountain Goats, The Sabres of Paradise, Patsy Cline, The Monks, Bad Brains, anything…

There is so much good music out there, why waste your ears on what record companies deem is the safest bet for mass consumption? Listen to stuff that can inspire beyond foot tapping. It's fúcking great!!!

Oh and Anthony Keidis is probably the worst lyricist out there at the moment. Bob Dylan mightn't have been able to sing but listen to the emotion he could convey on songs like Just like Tom Thumb Blues and Like a Rolling Stone. Magnificent stuff altogether…

fruvai wrote: »
    Define early stuff - I see this opinion trotted out on a regular basis yet there is no specificity- is it all the albums up until Revolver or is it after With the Beatles? They are some great songs on Help, Hard Days Night and Rubber Soul

Really I'm not that big into anything written by the Beatles from 1962-1966.

Yellow Submarine is possibly the most overrated song in history. Just the fact its lyrics could be used for a children's television show. It's just not my taste.

I'm also not mad about any of The Beatles solo material, Lennon, McCartney, Harrison or Starr.

In short yes I do find The Beatles to be pretty overrated. Agreeably they are the most influential band of all time but to me that doesn't qualify them as the best.

Madonna also is a huge influence on modern pop stars and yet she is totally overrated. I'm not trying to compare Madonna with The Beatles because The Beatles are much better musically and vocally than Madonna is or ever was back in the day, but my point is that the person who influenced another act is not always better.

Coldplay and U2 are another example. U2 influenced Coldplay but Coldplay are still better.

Back to The Beatles, their material I like is mainly the later stuff like Hey Jude and Let It Be, those are the songs that deserve recognition not nursery rhymes like Can't Buy Me Love, A Hard Day's Night, Ticket To Ride and Please, Please Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I like the Chilis, but

lyrics from Around the World
    "I know, I know, for sure/ding ding dang ding ding ding don ding don dang"

No. Just no.

I like the Chilis, but

lyrics from Around the World
    "I know, I know, for sure/ That life is beautiful around the world / I know I know it's you / You say, "Hello" and then I say, "I do"

No. Just no.

Please tell me what's wrong with these lyrics you just referred to?

This thread is fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Let's just say W.B. Yeats can rest easy in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It really is. So many utterly wrong opinions in one giant 24 page thread :).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It's starting to irk me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Throwaway lyrics at best. I'm sure Anthony Keidis would even admit that himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Here are a few.

U2 are neither good enough nor bad enough to get excited over.

Pink Floyd are nothing special.

Amy Winehouse was great and Back to Black is a fantastic album.

Radiohead's electronic albums are every bit as good as their guitar based ones.

I don't care that Adele has a fantastic set of pipes on her, she's boring and her supposedly very emotional stuff seems contrived.

I completely love the Beatles, but I admire people who hate them. Only because the idea that you have to love them is really pompous and needs deflating. Usually when people defend bands by saying that you have to like them because they're 'classic', they're referring to boring middlebrow crap like the Eagles or Direstraits or something similar. By getting all precious and defensive about the Beatles, people are inadvertently lumping them in to that dreaded classic status- safe, middle-aged, stadium filling tosh. The Beatles are far too original and brilliant to be considered in this group.

Lady Gaga may be an interesting person but musically she's as dull as dishwater.

Not everybody who dislikes Abba is lying and trying to be superior. They honestly make my f**king skin crawl. I'm not pretending.

And finally AC/DC may keep releasing the same song over and over again, but it frigging rocks. Especially this version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Incredible rhyming through the whole song :eek:

(skip to around 2:50 there)

I don't really like Eminem but that shows amazing talent TBF. Interestingly even Seamus Heaney considers him to be a wonderful lyricist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I'm not going to quote the whole thing because it is too long but I'm going to address a couple of things. You seem to live in MOR land in which the safest option is the best and it seems extraordinarily dull. All the people you list as being good are people that are or have become devoid of any personality or tension in their music. Christ, it's beyond boring. Not something I'd normally recommend but you need to invest in some class As and some totally out there music. Listen to music that makes you feel alive whether it's through being a relentless punishment, a cradle of sadness or a melody that makes you take flight. Not music that sits in this bland soup like Shania fúcking Twain or the fúcking Script or U2 or whatever lumpen bollocks that constitutes AOR these days. Listen to Slint, Mogwai, Super Furry Animals, Fúcked Up, The Eels, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Carcass, Napalm Death, Underworld, B12, Joy Orbison, Roy Orbison, Hüsker Dü, Jesus Lizard, Ministry, Radiohead, Brendan Benson, Portishead, Massive Attack, Steven Jesse Bernstein, Death, Aphex Twin, George Fitzgerald, Autechre, The Shins, And You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead…, They Might be Giants, Big Star, Ben Folds, Martyn, The Mountain Goats, The Sabres of Paradise, Patsy Cline, The Monks, Bad Brains, anything…

There is so much good music out there, why waste your ears on what record companies deem is the safest bet for mass consumption? Listen to stuff that can inspire beyond foot tapping. It's fúcking great!!!

Oh and Anthony Keidis is probably the worst lyricist out there at the moment. Bob Dylan mightn't have been able to sing but listen to the emotion he could convey on songs like Just like Tom Thumb Blues and Like a Rolling Stone. Magnificent stuff altogether…

Hattie Jacques' pretentious cheese wog.

I don't really like Eminem but that shows amazing talent TBF. Interestingly even Seamus Heaney considers him to be a wonderful lyricist.

It's because he is. If you study his writing style (which I have, by the way), he's quite old fashioned. He deals a lot with very traditional themes and poetic techniques, while mixing it with colloquialisms. When you actually properly read his stuff, the level of time and effort he must put into it is amazing. It's very intricate stuff. On top of that, the writing style very often compliments his style of delivery (the kind of angry, stop-start style of rapping, building tension, etc.) so even when you're reading it, you're reading it the way should be delivered. The feeling from the lyrics is not just in the meanings of the words, but also in the structures of the sentences, rhyming techniques and alliteration, and such. I do not see how anyone who properly listens to his stuff can argue that he's not a great lyricist.

Hattie Jacques' pretentious cheese wog.

Nah, cake would be too strong. I was thinking along the lines of something that wouldn't make him puke up his pelvis bone…

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    It really is. So many utterly wrong opinions in one giant 24 page thread :).

Thankfully not one closet Justin Bieber fan has posted here yet.

Advertisement