Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words that bug you - written or spoken

Options
  • 22-10-2011 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

Some words that really bug me:
    Spoken:
    .... dude

Written:
    .... would of (and all similar "of"s which should be "have").

And in general the poor state of spelling on so many forums, (there for their etc). I don't believe that these are typos but poor spelling by the posters.

I also hate all text message abbreviations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

tweak, as in we need to tweak that report

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

ya know,
    actually,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

like.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Spell Czechs is a good outlet for grammar nazis (like me!).

There are a number of words that annoy me, sadly brain-fry has struck and I can't think of any of them! I'll be back if they return to my consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

"k" or "kk", especially in texts. I mean how are you supposed to reply to that?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 shay2010

awfully good

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shay2010

rapid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Jacks as in going to the jacks, really bugs me. It annoys me even more because people who use it don't even know why they call the toilet 'the jacks'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

'kid' instead of 'child'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    'kid' instead of 'child'

A kid is a young goat but would you call an Old Goat a mod?

Sorry, I couldn't refuse that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

"Much" as in "jealous much / angry much" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I hate it when people keep saying, "you know" and "like" when telling you something.

"Like he went for the ball you know, and you know he got it like so it was not a foul like, you know."

Rubecula wrote: »
    I hate it when people keep saying, "you know" and "like" when telling you something.

"Like he went for the ball you know, and you know he got it like so it was not a foul like, you know."

'Like' by Joseph O'Connor. It's brilliant!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx-siLoRmgc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Amn't.

While it's not technically grammatically incorrect, it's bloody irritating. I'm not is a far more aurally pleasing contraction if one is necessary. (:o)

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Amn't.

While it's not technically grammatically incorrect, it's bloody irritating. I'm not is a far more aurally pleasing contraction if one is necessary. (:o)

I would have thought 'amn't' is a question as in
    'I am right, amn't I?' (I am right, am I not?)

Whereas 'I'm not' is a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol_

jos28 wrote: »
    Jacks as in going to the jacks, really bugs me. It annoys me even more because people who use it don't even know why they call the toilet 'the jacks'.

Is it because the Americans call it "the John" presumably after john crapper, and we call it "The Jacks" because well John/Jack

That's what I always thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Amn't.

I was brought up to reply to someone who used "amn't", that you only put almonds in cakes.

In Ireland, amn’t I (am I not) is also be heard with relative frequency. One could possible argue that amn’t I is surely the correct interrogative negative form and not “aren’t I”; after all, the long form is am I not and not are I not!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Marty_Orr

"And all". Happens much like "like". at the end of every sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I love using amin't simply because it messes with peoples (non-natives AKA Mrs.Goat) heads.
    What irks me most of all is the abuse of 'seen'. I seen him do it. I seen it yesterday. I seen it happen.

Also, as a cronic speller myself I really get antsy when the grammar and spelling troupe decide to point out my mistakes. I'd just like to point out that we don't misspell on purpose just to annoy you. We are not all lazy ill educated illeritates and we DO resent it being pointed out to us day after day after day, post after post after post. (<---ha, pick the bones out of that you grammarists).
    Particulary galling is that after using a spellchecker just to placate the grammarists n' spellers I STILL got lambasted because the spellchecker chose the wrong spelling of the words I wanted to use, break rather then brake, plane rather then plain etc.. These days I fix my mistakes when I see 'em but I'm not bothered if leave them out there in public. My ability to spell words is no reflection on my abitily to use those words.

There are numerous reasons as to why someone may mispell in their posts. Threads like this one are useful to point out some common mistakes that are genuine mistakes (such as expresso/espresso and chimbley/chimney) but when I see someone who I know to be seriously dyslexic have good posts get trashed for no other reason then a smug sense of superiorty it really saddens me.

Spellcheckers are not always readily available particulary in the heat of some keyboard warrior battles.

I should also like to point out that the 'm' and 'n' of my keyboard have been switched around in an effort to make me watch the screen rather then look at my keyboard while typing. It's mot always successful. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Hear hear OG. Typos are a fact of life, the best writers in the business make them too. (That's why they have proof readers.)

Leave off with all the poking fingers at the typos. They happen. Live with it!

• Advertisement

:) I think one of the rules of online forums is that you certainly do not criticise anyone for bad spelling or grammar and I have never criticised anyone. The reason for some of us being irritated by it is possibly because (like me) they are old enough to remember having to type reams of text on an old Royal/Remington/Underwood typewriter, complete with 1/2/3 carbon copies, and if there were any mistakes then that section had to be typed all over again and you had to stay late in work to get it done, and the boss had to stay late in order to sign the rotten thing, and then you had to post it on the way home. When that is your experience, you tend to get your spelling and grammar right because that horror stays with you for the rest of your life.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

:) I think one of the rules of online forums is that you certainly do not criticise anyone for bad spelling or grammar and I have never criticised anyone. The reason for some of us being irritated by it is possibly because (like me) they are old enough to remember having to type reams of text on an old Royal/Remington/Underwood typewriter, complete with 1/2/3 carbon copies, and if there were any mistakes then that section had to be typed all over again and you had to stay late in work to get it done, and the boss had to stay late in order to sign the rotten thing, and then you had to post it on the way home. When that is your experience, you tend to get your spelling and grammar right because that horror stays with you for the rest of your life.:)

Or taking dictation straight onto a wax stencil...now that's stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Oh dear, thats just brought the memories of metronomic typing lessons flooding back.
    A now, S now, D now, F now. Wrists up girls, and you Boy! Keep the pace. J now, K now...

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Don't they not
    They do be
    I seen that

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gotten
    irregardless

I know some folk from 'Norn Iron' who say this:

'I love chocolate so I do'
    'I already washed it so I did'
    'he's a little darlin' so he is'

Why are the extra words needed? :confused::)

And the word 'wee' is just everywhere in conversation.:D

looksee wrote: »
    Or taking dictation straight onto a wax stencil...now that's stress!
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Oh dear, thats just brought the memories of metronomic typing lessons flooding back.
    A now, S now, D now, F now. Wrists up girls, and you Boy! Keep the pace. J now, K now...

Have you ever used a gestetner for copying? Oh. mi-gosh! There was ink all over the walls on my first day using that devilish contraption!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

I've come accross this in Wicklow!

V Eight wrote: »

I've come accross this in Wicklow!

Really! I have Wicklow relatives and haven't heard it from them. Maybe yours have some 'Norn Iron' blood in their veins!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Gay, as in - that's so gay.
    Can't STAND the word being used in that context.

Advertisement