Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The boss battles were absolutely terrible and the combat was very simplistic if fun. Also thought the scarecrow levels weren't as good as people made them out to be. It had a good game world to explore and it was lots of fun and most of all the stealth combat was spectacularly good and I wish there was an awful lot more in it. It was great but had problems and wasn't perfect. If it didn't have batman in it I'd say it wouldn't have reviewed as well. It's in the high 80's for me, not the 95+ that some places gave it, that would be reserved for near faultless games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's in the high 80's for me, not the 95+ that some places gave it, that would be reserved for near faultless games.

You say high 80s as if it's a bad thing :pac:

By the sound of reviews, Arkham City improves upon everything. The sheer empowerment of AA was spectacular. A bigger, better sequel? Insignificant flaws be damned! I just want to leap off tall buildings as Batman, and glide to safety while kicking someone to the ground!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

The boss battles were absolutely terrible and the combat was very simplistic if fun. Also thought the scarecrow levels weren't as good as people made them out to be. It had a good game world to explore and it was lots of fun and most of all the stealth combat was spectacularly good and I wish there was an awful lot more in it. It was great but had problems and wasn't perfect. If it didn't have batman in it I'd say it wouldn't have reviewed as well. It's in the high 80's for me, not the 95+ that some places gave it, that would be reserved for near faultless games.

Valid points although I wouldn't say the boss battles were terrible.

I thought the combat was perfect, neither button masher nor an overly complex combo system, I thought it had a great balance of finesse, timing and cracking skulls. its rare to find a game where having 20+ enemies coming at you has you rubbing your hands together with glee.

For me where the game excelled was the exploration, riddler finding and over all atmosphere all of it was near perfect and compelling with Mark Hamill's Joker as the cherry on top.

I don't think really there is such a think as a perfect game, not with the scope and complexity of games now, they all contain flaws in somerespect but I felt Batman AA's were very small. That said I don't believe in handing out perfect scores either, AA would be a 90 though, only Uncharted would come close to that this generation, although in fairness there is plenty of stuff I've not played.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I still think it's a good game but the way people go on about it is a bit much sometimes.

I usually hate collection hunts in games but I did do all the riddler trophies and found it great fun solving clues to their locations rather than having the collectibles strewn randomly throughout the levels.

As a boss battle connoisseur I stand by the boss battles being rotten. Not MGS4 rotten but close.

I'llpick the new one up at some point, just dark souls and my DS game hunt takes priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I too found Batman to be over rated... I enjoyed it, but I've never been inclined to go back and play it again.

Great games make me want to play them again.

• Advertisement

Bah... ordered a CD32 off eBay a month ago, got on to the seller yesterday to let him know I hadn't received it yet and he said it had it had been returned saying my delivery address couldn't be found.

It was my exact address, couldn't be more precise without writing directions for the postman on there.

Anyone have any experience with An Post fecking up like this? Any chance they have a mechanism for me to be compensated? As I'm down about €30 now and looking at another €30 to have the thing delivered again.

I get mail all the time and the building, while new, has been there for about 3 and a half years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DinoRex wrote: »
    Bah... ordered a CD32 off eBay a month ago, got on to the seller yesterday to let him know I hadn't received it yet and he said it had it had been returned saying my delivery address couldn't be found.

It was my exact address, couldn't be more precise without writing directions for the postman on there.

Anyone have any experience with An Post fecking up like this? Any chance they have a mechanism for me to be compensated? As I'm down about €30 now and looking at another €30 to have the thing delivered again.

I get mail all the time and the building, while new, has been there for about 3 and a half years.

Have it sent to my address if you like. I'll be sure to pass it on to you at some stage <during the century>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just want to leap off tall buildings as Batman, and glide to safety while kicking someone to the ground!

Or, in pdbhp's case, a Friday night!

So, what really happened to the car, did you lodge it in the window of a HMV during a ram-raid and could back it out, so ran on foot with your bag'o swag over your shoulder????
    You have a myth to protect here, a reputation of awesomeness to uphold!

• Advertisement

I heard a group of annoyed ebay master system sellers formed a group, tracked him down and tried to have him killed. The car was ruined in an epic M50 chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I suppose what I'm trying to say is follow your nose and just enjoy stuff and try not to fall into a trap where you're just not enjoying it anymore, and your wasting resources on stuff you just don't want, just so you can stay true to an original ideal. This is why I believe going for complete collections is wrong - you end up buying loads of crap just to say you have every game for a particular format. Those resources could surely be put to better use on other systems? What ends up happening is the gamer gets fed up with it, having spent a fortune on P&P, and then the whole lot ends up on eBay a year after - a good example of this is Retro Gamer Magazine's editor Darren, who attempted to collect up every Dreamcast game to get released on PAL format, and then a year into it he sold the lot before getting every one.

I can empathize to an extent, but I don't have a problem will collectors as much as I do out-and-out hoarders. The kinda guy who'd buy his 7th copy of Mario Allstars, not to invest in it or to sell it on or whatnot, just 'cause it's cheap and there. I just struggle with the logic, really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have you ever been standing at a urinal and thought this time could be more efficiently spent if you were playing videogames at the same time?

No?

Well some mad ****er in Japan did.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/20/segas-urinal-game-where-you-play-as-a-peeing-statue/

The gameification of life marches ever onwards.

That looks the shit... I mean piss... I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, what really happened to the car, did you lodge it in the window of a HMV during a ram-raid and could back it out, so ran on foot with your bag'o swag over your shoulder????
    You have a myth to protect here, a reputation of awesomeness to uphold!

Well my car at the moment is being repaired due to the timing chain snapping, so sorry to say no wild stories of manhandling shop assistants who neglect to stock the most obscure Japanese cute-em-ups.

It's my Birthday next week so am thinking of either getting Judgement Silversword or Ketsui Death Label both slightly pricey shmups but since someone else is paying I don't care:).
    I've been dropping hints all over the place and leaving Play Asia pages open with said games bulging off the screen in their shmuppy goodness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I heard a group of annoyed ebay master system sellers formed a group, tracked him down and tried to have him killed. The car was ruined in an epic M50 chase.

I found some footage of it all....

And

And the lesson is
    Never try to drive a Micra after playing Forza 4, just don't do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

I only buy games I want to play. I might never get around to said game but I buy it with the intention of playing it.

So do I sometimes, but people who devote themselves to single formats with the interntion of buying games for just that end up buying loads of crap - you're much better off buying the best games for all the systems available as opposed to buying up Game X just because its on your favourite console.

Re-reading that post of mine there I don't think I made the point clearly or concisely. I guess I was respectfully disagreeing with Oisin's view that single format collecting is a good idea - I don't think it is. You're better off with the top twenty or thirty games for all of the most popular systems as opposed to a mixed bag of 300 games for one machine only in my humble opinion.
    Ah, you appear to be in the wrong forum here, collecting is what we do, heck, its what we are.
    Seem to remember another poster here making noises about how ridiculous Retro game collecting is, you're not him are you?
    And its probably for the best if you never come to a Beers in my house, if the collection of masses of cool Retro goodness is not your thing, could send you right over the edge!

There's this whole argument about collecting vs. playing going on across YouTube at the minute. To be honest with you, I'm a player first and think that's the way to go in general, but I do collect games as well, but only good ones that are worth my time and money. So if a game is good then I'll "collect" it if you see what I'm getting at.

Having said that, my credentials as a collector are in place - I only buy mint and complete retro games for example and have a collection of about 500 games. Plus I love a good poke in bargain bins and whatnot in search of decent deals.

I hope that clears things up.

I'll collect when the price is right, and I'll always buy with the intention of playing (doesn't always work out, of course).

That said, I'm also a bit cynical the concept of a complete collection. Nice, sure, but I'd rather quality over quantity any day of the week. If you have the money, fair enough. But if you're purposefully buying crap just to own them / bragging rights, then perhaps it's time to step back (unless 'complete' only means a very small amount of bad games, in which case I'm sure you could make an acceptable exception).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

I'll collect when the price is right, and I'll always buy with the intention of playing (doesn't always work out, of course).

That said, I'm also a bit cynical the concept of a complete collection. Nice, sure, but I'd rather quality over quantity any day of the week. If you have the money, fair enough. But if you're purposefully buying crap just to own them / bragging rights, then perhaps it's time to step back (unless 'complete' only means a very small amount of bad games, in which case I'm sure you could make an acceptable exception).

The only format that is possibly worth getting a complete set for is the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Mainly because the line-up is mostly excellent, and a few crap games here and there is no big deal.

I've seen some crazy **** though lately - Finngamer on YouTube - great guy it has to be said - has a complete N64 collection now. I ADORE the N64! However... he bought some awful video games. He even spent $250 for a manual for ClayFighter 63 1/3: Sculptor's Edition just so he could have a "complete" copy :rolleyes: Think what he could have bought for that money elsewhere?

Sera says she is bored of general retro discussion. She wants me to start an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

And the lesson is
    Never try to drive a Micra after playing Forza 4, just don't do it!

After playing forza all I wanted to do was dump one of these into my micra :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I love a good poke.

Doesn't everyone? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Sera says she is bored of general retro discussion. She wants me to start an argument.

Milestone games are great! I love Karous! So nerrrrrr!!! :D

I play it via a Nes emu on my HTC Desire, using the touch screen instead of a zapper Gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Final Fantasy X and XIII are absolute crap and anyone who enjoyed them obviously wears womens clothing.

That a good start? :pac:

Oh and just to throw more fuel on the fire in relation to some of the above comments - if you haven't spent a load of money on a crap game just because it's rare and you want the prestige of owning it, you're not a real videogame collector in the true sense of the word.

/grabs popcorn. Sits back.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Final Fantasy X and XIII are absolute crap and anyone who enjoyed them obviously wears womens clothing.

I'm starting to doubt myself about FFX. I played it around my 'ZOMG FFVII best game ever!' idiotic youthful phase. After watching Spoony's deconstruction of it the plot seems a bit rubbish alright although I liked some bits of it. I will go on record saying that it has one of the best battle systems of all time.

FFXIII isn't great but not complete crap. The story seems interesting, gets a bit crap and then ends with the most retard deus ex machina ever. Lack of a world map isn't a big deal, the FF series since FFVII has been totally linear anyway. The battle system however is wonderful stuff. It's one of the poorer FF games but still got some enjoyment out of it. It's no Legend of Dragoon.

I never got the big hype with FFX either. The post game is interesting (if it wasn't for the game breaking Dark Aeons) but until then it's frustratingly linear and narratively overwrought. And the **** was up with Blitzball?

FFXIII is beyond crap. I stuck with it until it opened up, but by then the crippling apathy it inflicted was too much to bear. Nice graphics, and the battle system is interesting for a few hours (shame it takes them ten hours to trust you with it) but a genuinely poor game. Serious voice acting lulz, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm starting to doubt myself about FFX. I played it around my 'ZOMG FFVII best game ever!' idiotic youthful phase. After watching Spoony's deconstruction of it the plot seems a bit rubbish alright although I liked some bits of it. I will go on record saying that it has one of the best battle systems of all time.

FFXIII isn't great but not complete crap. The story seems interesting, gets a bit crap and then ends with the most retard deus ex machina ever. Lack of a world map isn't a big deal, the FF series since FFVII has been totally linear anyway. The battle system however is wonderful stuff. It's one of the poorer FF games but still got some enjoyment out of it. It's no Legend of Dragoon.

Ah, the engima that is Retr0. The slightest spark can set him off and yet when you try to troll an arguement out of him he agrees with you.

Attempt number two -

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement