Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I just got my hands on my old launch model PS3, it's still working flabbergastingly enough. The thing sounds like a late-90's trojan-addled P.C,
    mind. Tense time ahead, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I just got my hands on my old launch model PS3, it's still working flabbergastingly enough. The thing sounds like a late-90's trojan-addled P.C,
    mind. Tense time ahead, lads.

Mines still going strong. It still good :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've an american 60 GB PS3 still going strong. I dread if it ever goes because I won't get an american one back and Sony more than likely won't touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've an original 60GB PS3 still going strong since the day it was released myself.

Upgraded the internal drive to a 640GB and put some decent thermal paste in there and it doesn't heat up quite as much(so doesn't make as much racket).

Sony did a crappy job applying the paste in the first place, really amateur job on it so I recommend the thermal paste upgrade to everyone.

It's very cheap to grab a bit of Arctic Silver from ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

My 60GB PS3 is the only console of this generation not to konk out on me.

On my third 360 and my second Wii.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think I'd hire someone to do the paste thing, I don't do well with consoles' innards, as my poor Dreamcast can attest to (she's still going, praise the Sega gods). My original launch model YLODed after 6 hours of consecutive play. Sony replaced it for free, out of warranty-the big, awesome bastards. Mind, I'd long moved out when it got shipped back, only picked it up again this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

o1s1n wrote: »
    When your girlfriend won't let you wear an item of clothing for fear of embarrassment, you definitely know you're doing something wrong.

The truth hurts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found the Wii DVD drives to be really flaky. If I used it as much as the 360 I'm sure it would have died years ago. I'm playing of a HD from now on, same with the PS2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Mines still going strong. It still good :cool:
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've an american 60 GB PS3 still going strong. I dread if it ever goes because I won't get an american one back and Sony more than likely won't touch it.
    Steve SI wrote: »
    I've an original 60GB PS3 still going strong since the day it was released myself.

Upgraded the internal drive to a 640GB and put some decent thermal paste in there and it doesn't heat up quite as much(so doesn't make as much racket).

Sony did a crappy job applying the paste in the first place, really amateur job on it so I recommend the thermal paste upgrade to everyone.

It's very cheap to grab a bit of Arctic Silver from ebay.

DinoRex wrote: »
    My 60GB PS3 is the only console of this generation not to konk out on me.

On my third 360 and my second Wii.

4 ylod's coming right up. Never say your PS3 is still working...everybody knows that :D It's like they're waiting for you to say it, & then they flake out :p All I'll say is I've a 60GB launch model.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Found the Wii DVD drives to be really flaky. If I used it as much as the 360 I'm sure it would have died years ago. I'm playing of a HD from now on, same with the PS2.

The only way to roll :cool:

The world has already given me two fingers with not being able to afford Dark Souls. With my luck at the moment I can be assured that the PS3 will explode the minute I get the game and put it into the drive.

• Advertisement

Is anyone playing Dark Souls on the xbox? I can't imagine it works as well... Those shoulder buttons can't be easy to use for basic attacking and blocking..

I'm too cheap for Xbox Live so PS3 it is. That and the fact that paying for the privilege to play online seems wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,447 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DinoRex wrote: »
    Is anyone playing Dark Souls on the xbox? I can't imagine it works as well... Those shoulder buttons can't be easy to use for basic attacking and blocking..

I am. It works great! I didnt play demons souls so cant really compare... But i couldnt imagine using a playstation controller for any game in this day and age. The design is a few generations out of date. Ergonomics ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

o1s1n wrote: »
    I applaud the person who can stick to one single platform. I really do. It's just not possible.

If you ask me, its a "waste" of money to buy up stuff that you don't really want or need at a given time. As an example, I stopped collecting DS actively last year a I had a major backlog - if I'd of bought anymore at that point in time - a time that I had no desire to buy more, then it would have been a waste of money for me. Instead, I poured my resources into my Saturn shmups library, which I was very keen to expand at the time.

Right now however, I'm back to the DS as I'm enjoying the format once again, having shmupped like a lunatic for the last six months or so.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is follow your nose and just enjoy stuff and try not to fall into a trap where you're just not enjoying it anymore, and your wasting resources on stuff you just don't want, just so you can stay true to an original ideal. This is why I believe going for complete collections is wrong - you end up buying loads of crap just to say you have every game for a particular format. Those resources could surely be put to better use on other systems? What ends up happening is the gamer gets fed up with it, having spent a fortune on P&P, and then the whole lot ends up on eBay a year after - a good example of this is Retro Gamer Magazine's editor Darren, who attempted to collect up every Dreamcast game to get released on PAL format, and then a year into it he sold the lot before getting every one.

Its easy to end up taking games collecting a little too seriously - its only games at the end of the day - a hobby, and its important that people keep it that way lest it take over a signifant chunk of your wages which is not going to do anyone any good.

[/rant]

I only buy games I want to play. I might never get around to said game but I buy it with the intention of playing it.

October issue of Edge magazine free on the iPad at the moment for those interested and equipped.

Its a promotion because of news stand etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you ask me, its a "waste" of money to buy up stuff that you don't really want or need at a given time. As an example, I stopped collecting DS actively last year a I had a major backlog - if I'd of bought anymore at that point in time - a time that I had no desire to buy more, then it would have been a waste of money for me. Instead, I poured my resources into my Saturn shmups library, which I was very keen to expand at the time.

Right now however, I'm back to the DS as I'm enjoying the format once again, having shmupped like a lunatic for the last six months or so.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is follow your nose and just enjoy stuff and try not to fall into a trap where you're just not enjoying it anymore, and your wasting resources on stuff you just don't want, just so you can stay true to an original ideal. This is why I believe going for complete collections is wrong - you end up buying loads of crap just to say you have every game for a particular format. Those resources could surely be put to better use on other systems? What ends up happening is the gamer gets fed up with it, having spent a fortune on P&P, and then the whole lot ends up on eBay a year after - a good example of this is Retro Gamer Magazine's editor Darren, who attempted to collect up every Dreamcast game to get released on PAL format, and then a year into it he sold the lot before getting every one.

Its easy to end up taking games collecting a little too seriously - its only games at the end of the day - a hobby, and its important that people keep it that way lest it take over a signifant chunk of your wages which is not going to do anyone any good.

[/rant]

Ah, you appear to be in the wrong forum here, collecting is what we do, heck, its what we are.
    Seem to remember another poster here making noises about how ridiculous Retro game collecting is, you're not him are you?
    And its probably for the best if you never come to a Beers in my house, if the collection of masses of cool Retro goodness is not your thing, could send you right over the edge!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah, you appear to be in the wrong forum here, collecting is what we do, heck, its what we are.
    Seem to remember another poster here making noises about how ridiculous Retro game collecting is, you're not him are you?
    And its probably for the best if you never come to a Beers in my house, if the collection of masses of cool Retro goodness is not your thing, could send you right over the edge!

Probably best if he never comes to my house either. I try to collect at least 2 of everything :o

That'll drive him over the edge, twice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Steve SI wrote: »
    October issue of Edge magazine free on the iPad at the moment for those interested and equipped.

Its a promotion because of news stand etc.

That on Zinio? I'll grab that now, let me just double click my home screen. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Arkham City is out on Friday, must have this game!
    The last one was so so good, this should he awesome!
    Yet another game to stand in the way of my buying either LA Noir or Deus Ex :(

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    That on Zinio? I'll grab that now, let me just double click my home screen. :D

Not sure on zinio.

Its available on the actual Edge mag app.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm going into 'La la la not listening' mode for a few weeks until I get to play Gotham Asylum. Can't wait to play it, but with a convenient birthday around the corner and a compulsion bordering on addiction for Dark Souls, it shall be early November before I get to dig in.

Reviews are absurdly positive though, so consider me HYPE, yo.

With a 40th birthday coming up in January, what should I be looking for in terms of retro-gaming gifts?
    I reckon I may be able to push the boundaries a bit on this one!
    One of those fancy-schmancy rebuilt to better than perfection PC Engine Duo-R's?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

With a 40th birthday coming up in January, what should I be looking for in terms of retro-gaming gifts?
    One of those fancy-schmancy rebuilt to better than perfection PC Engine Duo-R's?

Forget the retro gifts, you need to be reserving your space in an old folks home :P

Serious answer: PC Engine!!

Candy? Cab? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sim Mid-Life Crisis is apparently well worth a purchase.

Lots of replayability too, due to various win conditions: 'Buy a Porsche', 'Have regrettable affair with person half your age', 'Quit job and go back to college to study horticulture' etc... Just want to watch out for various pitfalls: Last of the Summer Wine repeats are a bugger.

Sim Mid-Life Crisis is apparently well worth a purchase.

Lots of replayability too, due to various win conditions: 'Buy a Porsche', 'Have regrettable affair with person half your age', 'Quit job and go back to college to study horticulture' etc... Just want to watch out for various pitfalls: Last of the Summer Wine repeats are a bugger.

Actually I'm more of a Antiques Roadshow, Songs of Praise and Matlock repeats fan, but point taken.... ;)

And having an affair with someone half your age has diminishing returns the older you are!!!
    But then, where am I going to find an interested 20 year old young lady who likes men who hitch up their pants with a white belt, enjoy Werthers and wear a wide selection of orthapedic appliances?

You know you're getting old when you stop calling surgery "an operation" and start calling them "procedures".
    Also, once over 40, the best contraceptive is nudity :(

Arkham City can wait until it's 15 euros for me. I liked the last game but thought it was way overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I think you may be guilty of underrating it there, AA was a masterpiece imo, Probably my favorite game in the last 10 years, perhaps longer. If I weren't broke Arkham City would be an instant purchase this Friday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement