Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Got myself a nice few Belgians from the Drinkstore this evening:

Gruut Wit
    Nostradamus
    Gouden Carlos Triple
    Saison Silly
    Watou Triple
    and some Jupiler*

Picked up a few yanks aswell;

Sierra Nevada Porter
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
    Sierra Nevada Stout
    O'Dell's Cut Throat Porter

Tonight I'm giving the American Porters a try, at the moment I'm drinking the O'dells one and I'm in two minds about it, the smell is amazing, smells like mammy's baking brownies in the kitchen (honest:o), however I feel the taste lets it down kind of a watered down feel with a hint of a roasted feel, the finish is very nutty. I'm just not sure about it.

*I don't want to hear the inbev snobs:p, I've had many a great night in Brussels on tens of glasses of Jupiler, and I think it's excellent for a mainstream beer. When in the party mood it ain't responsible to hit the 11% trappists;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    2 X Spitfire Kentish Ale
    Best British ale in my opinion:).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Prohibition Speakeasy I love. Some great beer choices you have. Enjoy it while you can
    You'd like San Francisco then. It's available in every other pub, and more often than not, $3-$4 for a US pint. The 6-pack I bought (beer store) set me back the princely sum of around €6. :)

Today, after a run over the Golden Gate bridge, I happened across the 'Rogue Ales' public house. An impressive 20+ beers on draught, I started with the Rogue Dead Guy Ale, which (maybe I've been spoilt recently) I found a little dull and uninspiring. For one of their signature beers, you'd imagine there'd be a bit more going on. Next, I had a Stone smoked Porter. This is a lovely porter, but I reckon O'Haras has it licked. O'Haras tastes smokier, despite not being a non-smoked beer. It's that whole 'peaty' taste you get from O'Haras stout.

I also greatly enjoyed my bottle of Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale (which won't be travelling home with me:)). There's one central theme with all of the Stone beers. Bitterness. If you like bitterness, Stone beers are for you. For me, I reckon Prohibition Speakeasy has an edge. But I do have a sweet-tooth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Went into The Palace to get a pint of Dungarvan on cask and it went just as the barman was pulling three pints for us... Drat. Settled for Galway Hooker.

Also had five Brooklyn Lager at home. A six pack is ten euro in O'Briens- can't argue with that price.
    Most people in the US thinks its an import

That's worrying if true - doesn't it say 'North American Craft Beer' right on the front of Blue Moon's label?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

doesn't it say 'North American Craft Beer' right on the front of Blue Moon's label?
    Which might suggest Canada, and with MolsonCoors having Canadian roots, I think that's where the confusion creeps in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

BeerNut wrote: »
    Which might suggest Canada, and with MolsonCoors having Canadian roots, I think that's where the confusion creeps in.

Ah, quite plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Glass of Hardcore IPA in Mulligans, gorgeous stuff.

I've been drinking Metalman Pale Ale quite a bit lately and I actually think it may be fastly becoming my go to ahead of Galway Hooker!!!!
    It's a touch hoppier than Galway Hooker, I think thats what keeps me coming back!! Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

The Metalman Pale Ale should be on cask at PH Temple tomorrow. Just sayin' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

They opened a new Metalman Pale Ale on Friday night in L.Mulligan and I could have sworn it was a spicier flavour.

No matter still a fine ale. Has me torn between Galway Hooker also and O'Haras pale ale as my fav. Irish pale ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Got stuck into bottles of 5am Saint, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and 8 degrees Sunburnt Irish red over the weekend.

All nice beers but maybe I was expecting to much from the Sierra Nevada, I guess Pale Ales are not just my thing as I was not gone on O'Haras IPA either. Fair play to the 8 degree guys, a nice beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Called into Against The Grain last night for my debut there and impressed isn't the word! A huge range with no Diageo type products to be seen and a handpub to boot; a decent wine list is also on offer for those who wish for such a drink. For a Monday, the pub was also very busy; something is clearly being done right in their shop :)

Had for my sins, a pint of O'Hara's stout (lovely soft chocolate under taste going on and dry enough not to lose it's taste), Trouble Brewing's Dark Arts porter (Fabulous brew with the malt doing a good job and not too sticky as some porters go), Bay Ale (A good solid ale) but the one beer that impressed me was a one off keg of Dingle's Crean lager; soft and sweet but with an impressive lack of aftertaste that such a sugary beer would usually leave behind. They only got the one keg of it in this time round so move fast before it's too late.

All in all a thumbs up; I'll come back to you on the food during the week but I fear it will be good :)

Crean's, eh? Does that clock say "lunchtime"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Crean's, eh? Does that clock say "lunchtime"?

I'll clock you out, you get us two stools :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Called into Against The Grain last night for my debut there and impressed isn't the word! A huge range with no Diageo type products to be seen and a handpub to boot; a decent wine list is also on offer for those who wish for such a drink. For a Monday, the pub was also very busy; something is clearly being done right in their shop :)

Had for my sins, a pint of O'Hara's stout (lovely soft chocolate under taste going on and dry enough not to lose it's taste), Trouble Brewing's Dark Arts porter (Fabulous brew with the malt doing a good job and not too sticky as some porters go), Bay Ale (A good solid ale) but the one beer that impressed me was a one off keg of Dingle's Crean lager; soft and sweet but with an impressive lack of aftertaste that such a sugary beer would usually leave behind. They only got the one keg of it in this time round so move fast before it's too late.

All in all a thumbs up; I'll come back to you on the food during the week but I fear it will be good :)

Have to find an excuse to get to Dublin for a night....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Very slow off the mark but picked up my first few porter house bottles..

2xHop head
    2xWrasslers
    1xHersbrucker
    1xPorterhouse red

And an Odell's IPA for good measure.. Very impressed with the porterhouse stuff after hearing so much about them here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dtd.douglas

Has anyone tried the College Green Brewery beers??
    The Belfast blond is amazingly crisp, refreshing and tasty, while the Mollys Chocolate stout is definatly worth trying!! They also make a cask beer which i had in O'Neills on suffolk street, dublin, WOW, now thats something different, smooth and tasty! they have well over 40 different beers on tap, and more than half are craft brews!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Has anyone tried the College Green Brewery beers??
    The Belfast blond is amazingly crisp, refreshing and tasty, while the Mollys Chocolate stout is definatly worth trying!! They also make a cask beer which i had in O'Neills on suffolk street, dublin, WOW, now thats something different, smooth and tasty! they have well over 40 different beers on tap, and more than half are craft brews!!!

I'm a big fan of Mollys Chocolate stout and Headless Dog (if available) is one of my go to beers in Wetherspoons. And I've heard about O'Neills having 40 beers on draught? 40? Is that for real? Must take up some amount of space.

Anyone tried the historic ales Williams brothers? Tempted to treat myself and put an order in. http://www.williambrosbrew.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=46

irish_goat wrote: »
    I've heard about O'Neills having 40 beers on draught? 40? Is that for real?
    They could easily have 40 taps across the four bars, but not 40 diferent beers. They do have a good selection, though, plus quite a bit of dreck.
    Anyone tried the historic ales Williams brothers?
    Fraoch's lovely and Alba is one of my all-time favourites. I'm sure it's easier to buy them in a Dublin offy than order online though.

Fraoch's lovely and Alba is one of my all-time favourites. I'm sure it's easier to buy them in a Dublin offy than order online though.

Bit out of the way unfortunately. Won't be back in Dublin until college starts and even then I am only ever coming/going to Busaras, Connelly or Westmoreland street with a heavy bag so walking to a decent offy isn't an option unless it's close by.

Yeah but DrinkStore will deliver to you anywhere in Ireland; Williams Bros., according to their website, won't.

• Advertisement

Yeah but DrinkStore will deliver to you anywhere in Ireland; Williams Bros., according to their website, won't.

Getting it sent to my brother's flat in Derry. Works out at £3 a bottle which is slightly cheaper than Drinkstore would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Off to visit Erdinger in Germany tomorrow so its safe to say I will be drinking Erdinger for the next few days. Might slink in a few Jagermeisters of course. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Off to visit Erdinger in Germany tomorrow so its safe to say I will be drinking Erdinger for the next few days. Might slink in a few Jagermeisters of course. :p

I'll be in the White Horse. Call in when you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Picked up a Breweyed Blonde tonight. I'm really enjoying it, one of the nicest beers I've had in a long time. 5 for €10 in Redmond's too, so I might have to go buy some more. Also have two of the 8 Degrees beers to try in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I had a Anchor Steam - Old Foghorn this evening was really nice and not really what i was expecting but will pick it up again. I need to get some cash to hit up against the grain and try some of their selection again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Had a pint of Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere in Porter House North, then Torpedo, both full of mad hoppy taste, followed up by Shepard Neame Whitby Bay which was rather bland and tasteless after the other two.
    Then got stuck in to a good few bottles of Headless Dog, which is nice but had a strange after taste for me.

Had a pint of Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere in Porter House North, then Torpedo, both full of mad hoppy taste, followed up by Shepard Neame Whitby Bay which was rather bland and tasteless after the other two.
    Then got stuck in to a good few bottles of Headless Dog, which is nice but had a strange after taste for me.

I've always thought Whitstable bay was a particularly bland beer, with pretty much zero taste to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I had a bottle of Delirium Tremens last night. I'd forgotten how nice this beer is. Sweet, fruity flavours with a dry, warming finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

I am just after picking up a btl of dungarvins helvick gold will report back later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I've always thought Whitstable bay was a particularly bland beer, with pretty much zero taste to it.

Grand, so it wasn't just me. Thought I'd try it as it was €4 a bottle. Haven't had much luck with Shepard Neame stuff, have friends that go on about their stuff but its all a bit bland to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement