Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Triathlon in 2011 thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Oryx wrote: »
    I did the dublin tri last August, its a shortish course, but a really well run event.

It it just the swim thats short ??? Also i wonder how much of the olympic is upstream, i think i'd be happier swimming in a river than the sea.

1st brick session tonight with the club, should be fun.

Monday i'm starting early morning swimming again and will give myself 4 weeks to make a decision on Dunmore, not confident enough for an open water swim.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The sprint bike is 16k and the run was about 4.6 in Dublin. The swim is handy, not much current and half downstream anyway. Cold tho!

The oly is part of a championship so Id say distance is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭griffin100

....not confident enough for an open water swim.

What aspect of the swim? If you can do a pool 750m then an OW will be no bother to you in a nice buoyant wetsuit - if you get tired or panicked at all slow down and have a rest while you float :).

OW swims for a beginner are more about confidence than anything else, dont let the sea state upset you and you'll be grand. I remember my first Tri OW swim was in Dunmore 3 years ago (:eek:) and the sea was massive so they cut the swim in half. I was panicked about getting in but once in I had to get on with it and I haven't had to swim in sea as rough since. After loads of OW swims I still get the odd wtf am I doing here moment and want to get out but it passess when I HTFU;)

Oryx wrote: »
    The sprint bike is 16k and the run was about 4.6 in Dublin. The swim is handy, not much current and half downstream anyway. Cold tho!

I'm actually thinking of not doing Dunmore and focusing on doing the Olympic in Dublin instead........it will give me more time to work on my swim and Olympic is the season goal.

I can still do the club test and maybe find a sprint to do in July if the dates suit !

griffin100 wrote: »
    What aspect of the swim? If you can do a pool 750m then an OW will be no bother to you in a nice buoyant wetsuit - if you get tired or panicked at all slow down and have a rest while you float :).

OW swims for a beginner are more about confidence than anything else, dont let the sea state upset you and you'll be grand. I remember my first Tri OW swim was in Dunmore 3 years ago (:eek:) and the sea was massive so they cut the swim in half. I was panicked about getting in but once in I had to get on with it and I haven't had to swim in sea as rough since. After loads of OW swims I still get the odd wtf am I doing here moment and want to get out but it passess when I HTFU;)

Just general fitness, longest i can go at the moment is aobut 100m without stopping so its about building fitness and distance. The time will be what the time will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'm actually thinking of not doing Dunmore and focusing on doing the Olympic in Dublin instead........it will give me more time to work on my swim and Olympic is the season goal.

I can still do the club test and maybe find a sprint to do in July if the dates suit !

The Dublin Olympic is my season goal too. Got my first ever tri on Sunday and am a bit nervous.

How did the club session go? Would you recommend joiing a club?

The Dublin Olympic is my season goal too. Got my first ever tri on Sunday and am a bit nervous.

How did the club session go? Would you recommend joiing a club?

Joining a club was the best thing i ever did. Great training sessions, advice, swimming coaches etc.

What you doing on sunday ??

I might look into it again then. In Dublin it seems that they all meet in different places for each part of the tri. So if the swim is convenient the run and cycle training are not. Or if the cycle training is ok then the swim is miles away.

I'm doing the Fingal Tri on Sunday. Sprint distance and pool based.

Just hoping no one is taking pictures as I run from the pool to T1 in just my trunks :D

i got a tri suit and its great, saves a lot of time and you don't even notice it in the pool.

I'm looking at Tri795 in Wexford on Jul 9, dates suit and its an afternoon race so that a plus as well. Any feedback, Oryx your area i think ???

i got a tri suit and its great, saves a lot of time and you don't even notice it in the pool.

I'm looking at Tri795 in Wexford on Jul 9, dates suit and its an afternoon race so that a plus as well. Any feedback, Oryx your area i think ???
    Im debating doing Bunclody, as I have my A race (HIM) two weeks after. Its a great race. Short pool swim, then a nice hilly bike and a run thats uphill for 2.5k then back down the same hill which makes for a fast finish. Very well run last year, so I expect great things from tri795 this year.

• Advertisement

Great i think i'll sign up when the wages hit my ac tomorrow..........i hope they have good music........

Just general fitness, longest i can go at the moment is aobut 100m without stopping so its about building fitness and distance. The time will be what the time will be.

The thing about 750m is that when its laid out in front of you in an OW swim it looks very very long. Dont think about the distance, just get in and start to swim. Try and get an OW swim in beforehand so that you're not freaked out by what might be cold and possibly dark water. Start near the back or to the sides so you dont get creamed bi faster swimmers. If you get tired on the day stop and have a rest or turn over onto your back. The wetsuit is a big help!
    I'm looking at Tri795 in Wexford on Jul 9, dates suit and its an afternoon race so that a plus as well.

Tis a great race, I can well reccomend it. Unlike Oryx however I am biased in that this is my club race. Swim is in an outdoor pool so is a bit different; bike and run are testing but fair courses.

griffin100 wrote: »
    The thing about 750m is that when its laid out in front of you in an OW swim it looks very very long. Dont think about the distance, just get in and start to swim. Try and get an OW swim in beforehand so that you're not freaked out by what might be cold and possibly dark water. Start near the back or to the sides so you dont get creamed bi faster swimmers. If you get tired on the day stop and have a rest or turn over onto your back. The wetsuit is a big help!

Tis a great race, I can well reccomend it. Unlike Oryx however I am biased in that this is my club race. Swim is in an outdoor pool so is a bit different; bike and run are testing but fair courses.

Defo going to do this then, the afternoon is a good time for as i can bring the wife and kids.

But i will say i hope you have good music !!

Oh timing chips ?

But i will say i hope you have good music !!

I missed last years race as it was the same day as IMUK but at our last MTB race the music sounded good at the top of the mountain where I was marshalling:)
    Oh timing chips ?

Absolutely!!

I'm sold, i'll register in the morning.

Have to get a roof rack for the bike so i can bring the car for the family !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great more boardsies the better, I'll be there also as I loved last years race. Don't have the time to get any swimming in as yet though till after Cork.

Woddle wrote: »
    Great more boardsies the better, I'll be there also as I loved last years race. Don't have the time to get any swimming in as yet though till after Cork.

Does it have its own thread yet ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Does it have its own thread yet ??

Don't think so but here's last years
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64719499
    I'll set it up now.

well I bit the bullet and bought a tri suit. It's not the most flattering thing I've ever worn! Still better than having my belly in full view after the swim and blacks meant to be very slimming...:p

well I bit the bullet and bought a tri suit. It's not the most flattering thing I've ever worn! Still better than having my belly in full view after the swim and blacks meant to be very slimming...:p

Well done, good luck and i feedback please !!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Woddle has me sold on this one aswell. I just need to soften someone up to get them to come with me so I can get my bike there. :cool:

Aw jeez lads. I gotta do it now if its a proper boards event :)

Woddle has me sold on this one aswell. I just need to soften someone up to get them to come with me so I can get my bike there. :cool:

Great to hear,

To celebrate i bought a new bike:D

couerdelion how did it go ??

What bike you get elvis?

Upgrading from my Giant Defy to Trek 2.1 with areo bars. Its not a world beater but a step up.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/sport/2_and_1_series/2_1/#

So, my first ever triathlon... and for some strange reason I actually enjoyed it!

I cycled to the event as it was only a few kilometres away from home. I got my transition area set up and then wondered around waiting for the breifing and I knew my swim wave didn't start till 10:40. As I was in the second wave I went upstairs and watched the first wave set off and after seeing the quicker ones finish I then went down and got changed and got ready for wave two.

Those of us in my lane had a quick chat and tried to sort out an order to swim based on our estimated swim finish times. Although that didn't go that well as even though I had a quicker predicted swim time than a fair few others they put themselves in front of me. After the first length I was happy with that as most went out at full blast and I was worried that my predicted time was much too quick for my ability. I went out at a normal pace though that I maintained and then spent lengths just following and trying to overtake. Although I wasn't too bothered about a quick swim time, although I did breaststroke for 5 lengths which slowed me a lot. Still I know for next time to tap more legs!

I finished the swim in just over 18 minutes My T1 time was appalling at nearly four minutes. Some of this is due to the run to the transition area and then it took me a while to get ready. I put a cycling top over my tri suit as it was pretty cool and this rolled itself up so I struggled. I also manage to leave T1 wearing just one glove and only noticed after about 15km. I must have looked like a poor Michael Jackson impersonator!

I did the 20km bike in less than 39 minutes. I felt strong through the cycle and after gettting passed right at the beggining by number 326 I got my head down, reeled him back in and manage to get a good pace going. I passed plenty of cyclists and until the final few km felt really good then we turned into the wind and I couldn't get and sort of rhythm. Number 326 passed me again going down pastthe Texaco garage on a slight uphill and I followed him down to the roundabout and the left turn where I manage to get a bit of pace up and then flew past him (relatively speaking) and got to the dismount line a couple of km further on ahead of him. He managed to overtake me on the run in though. Still it was good to have somone on the bike to target.

I finished the run in just over 25 minutes. I didn't enjoy it at all and found it really hard to get my breath for the first km or so. I didn't get the expected number of people flying past me and only about 5-6 ran past. I got into a nice rhythm and probably even managed a negative split on my run time. the last km had a grass section which was horrible. The ground was uneven and it destroyed the rhythm I had. I got cought on the run in and didn't even bother to try and kick and sprint in. My run was terrible compared to others so at least I know that is somewhere I can make a big difference.

Overall time under an hour and thirty minutes (1hr 29m 39s) and I am really happy with my first triathlon! I've got my targets now and am going to work on beating this time for next year. As I'm 18st I reckon just losing a few pounds would go a long way :D

So, my first ever triathlon... and for some strange reason I actually enjoyed it!

I cycled to the event as it was only a few kilometres away from home. I got my transition area set up and then wondered around waiting for the breifing and I knew my swim wave didn't start till 10:40. As I was in the second wave I went upstairs and watched the first wave set off and after seeing the quicker ones finish I then went down and got changed and got ready for wave two.

Those of us in my lane had a quick chat and tried to sort out an order to swim based on our estimated swim finish times. Although that didn't go that well as even though I had a quicker predicted swim time than a fair few others they put themselves in front of me. After the first length I was happy with that as most went out at full blast and I was worried that my predicted time was much too quick for my ability. I went out at a normal pace though that I maintained and then spent lengths just following and trying to overtake. Although I wasn't too bothered about a quick swim time, although I did breaststroke for 5 lengths which slowed me a lot. Still I know for next time to tap more legs!

I finished the swim in just over 18 minutes My T1 time was appalling at nearly four minutes. Some of this is due to the run to the transition area and then it took me a while to get ready. I put a cycling top over my tri suit as it was pretty cool and this rolled itself up so I struggled. I also manage to leave T1 wearing just one glove and only noticed after about 15km. I must have looked like a poor Michael Jackson impersonator!

I did the 20km bike in less than 39 minutes. I felt strong through the cycle and after gettting passed right at the beggining by number 326 I got my head down, reeled him back in and manage to get a good pace going. I passed plenty of cyclists and until the final few km felt really good then we turned into the wind and I couldn't get and sort of rhythm. Number 326 passed me again going down pastthe Texaco garage on a slight uphill and I followed him down to the roundabout and the left turn where I manage to get a bit of pace up and then flew past him (relatively speaking) and got to the dismount line a couple of km further on ahead of him. He managed to overtake me on the run in though. Still it was good to have somone on the bike to target.

I finished the run in just over 25 minutes. I didn't enjoy it at all and found it really hard to get my breath for the first km or so. I didn't get the expected number of people flying past me and only about 5-6 ran past. I got into a nice rhythm and probably even managed a negative split on my run time. the last km had a grass section which was horrible. The ground was uneven and it destroyed the rhythm I had. I got cought on the run in and didn't even bother to try and kick and sprint in. My run was terrible compared to others so at least I know that is somewhere I can make a big difference.

Overall time under an hour and thirty minutes (1hr 29m 39s) and I am really happy with my first triathlon! I've got my targets now and am going to work on beating this time for next year. As I'm 18st I reckon just losing a few pounds would go a long way :D

Well done, whats next ????

The above shows me how bad my swimming is:(

Well done, whats next ????

The above shows me how bad my swimming is:(

I swam a lot as a young kid (<11), but not a lot since. What time did you do your swim in? I think swimming is probably the most difficult discipline to improve in without lessons. I reckon I can go and swim aimless lengths and perhaps knock 1-2 mins off that time. But with proper coaching it would be possible to go much lower. You've joined a club so you can only get better.

Next up I'm doing the try-a-tri at Athy.

A couple of reasons for the shorter event... Brother in laws first event and he's just learnt how to swim, my first time swimming in a wetsuit, and my wife is doing the Ladies Mini Marathon on the Monday so doesn't want to do a sprint on the Sunday and I can't really justify a trip on the Saturday for her and one on the Sunday for me.

I swam a lot as a young kid (<11), but not a lot since. What time did you do your swim in? I think swimming is probably the most difficult discipline to improve in without lessons. I reckon I can go and swim aimless lengths and perhaps knock 1-2 mins off that time. But with proper coaching it would be possible to go much lower. You've joined a club so you can only get better.

Next up I'm doing the try-a-tri at Athy.

A couple of reasons for the shorter event... Brother in laws first event and he's just learnt how to swim, my first time swimming in a wetsuit, and my wife is doing the Ladies Mini Marathon on the Monday so doesn't want to do a sprint on the Sunday and I can't really justify a trip on the Saturday for her and one on the Sunday for me.

My swim for 750 was 33 min..........but i only started swimming 9 weeks before my 1st tri so i was happy to get it over with. BUT i did have lessons with the club coach and am working away by myself. I have a test tri on sat morning and in the last one 220M took me 7:45 so i'll judge my improvment on how that goes.

I'll be work at that tri so say hi to the guy with the mic !

Next up for me will be tri795 on july 9.

• Advertisement

Signed up for Tri795.........who's next !

Bike decision is down to Trek 2.1 and Focus Cayo 105 :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement