Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

four18 wrote: »
    A friend working out in Cappagh Hospital tells me of a man from Cavan who was having a hip replacement. He asked the doctor could he have the old one for the dog....

Thats a silly request, a human hip wouldn't fit into a dog's hip joint!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

jimoc wrote: »

Woof :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Your Moma's so stingy I saw her walking down the road with one shoe.
    I said "Hey Lady - You lose a shoe?"
    She said "No, - I found one".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

jimoc wrote: »
    To eat...to chew on..give a dog a bone...not for transplant....oh I give up:confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

I think we should be really carefull what we say here... do we really want to give stingy people tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Quiet you - Youll ruin it for the rest of us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

Used to work in a newsagents, a regular bought a 1euro scratchcard one morning and then came back a few hours later with the card unscratched asking could he return it because he didn't feel his luck was in any more!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

four18 wrote: »
    give a dog a bone

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

My flatmate folds a spare duvet and uses it as his pillow.. We've repeatedly given him stick for it but he refuses to buy one because he says "it's ridiculous that two pillows cost a tenner."

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

I think we should be really carefull what we say here... do we really want to give stingy people tips?

Don't be so stingy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This thread is interesting. It really shows how spoiled Celtic Tiger cubs have become. When I lived in Ireland, nobody I knew, not one, had a wedding paid for by their parents, and nobody I knew would have expected their parents to pay for the wedding. Times were tight in the 80s, and nobody would have dreamed of putting their parent to that kind of expense.

I thought that the bride's parents paying for the wedding was actually more traditional, and that getting a loan of 30K for the wedding is more of a sign of the Celtic Tiger cubs.
    Maybe the recession will teach a bit about frugality being better than waste. When people stop wasting food and money, retailers will have to start providing value for money, and maybe Ireland will become less of a rip off. Their is nothing wrong with buying second hand - it's not necessarily a sign of stinginess, it usually has more to do with reducing waste.

That's not really what the thread has been mostly about though. Staying in because you can't afford to drink is being frugal. Going out and dodging rounds / scabbing drinks off other people because you can't afford to drink is being stingy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Eoin wrote: »
    I thought that the bride's parents paying for the wedding was actually more traditional, and that getting a loan of 30K for the wedding is more of a sign of the Celtic Tiger cubs.

Nah tradition is that the groom offer a dowry to the brides father. Common sense is saving 6 or 7K, not borrowing 30, to pay for your wedding. This thing of the brides parents paying for it is straight out of that "sweet valley high" program. Curse that show!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

newmug wrote: »
    Nah tradition is that the groom offer a dowry to the brides father. Common sense is saving 6 or 7K, not borrowing 30, to pay for your wedding. This thing of the brides parents paying for it is straight out of that "sweet valley high" program. Curse that show!!!!!!!!!!

6 or 7k? doesnt sound like any kind of sense to me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Then you're not getting married in the right places, SENSEible ken!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT STINGY PEOPLE NOT WEDDINGS!

Friend of mine turns off his car when rolling down a local hill towards his house to save on juice, despite the obvious danger and idiocy of it, the fcucking car is a cinquento, it doesnt use any petrol anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Was out one night with a now ex and his aunt and uncle. Ex consistently shirked his round and then at the end of the night I went to the toilet and his aunt said she needed to go as well. We got back to the two men having a drink. When I asked where ours were the ex replied the bar was closing. I said 'what, so they only gave you half your order?' and told him to get his stingy arse up to the bar.

God, he was so damn tight. We split up later that night after one almighty row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

slick89 wrote: »
    Used to work in a newsagents, a regular bought a 1euro scratchcard one morning and then came back a few hours later with the card unscratched asking could he return it because he didn't feel his luck was in any more!:P

When I worked in a newsagents an old woman came in and bought a magazine, 15 minutes later she came back and asked for her receipt, saying she might want to return the magazine if her daughter had already read it, bit obvious she wanted to read it and return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

They used to have ads on RTE back in the late 70s/early 80s about breaking the rounds system. The idea was that the round system ended up with people feeling that they had to drink at the same rate/same number of drinks as the group they were in. I think they were on to a good point - if you are out with 8 people, that means that if each gets their round, everyone has eight drinks. Some people might not WANT to have eight drinks, they may prefer to drink more moderately. Maybe there should be another campaign to break the the round system.

Are you serious, ads about the rounds system?...only in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Plus the money you make from all the presents remember the more you invite the more presents you can pawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Those of you who have worked/studied abroad will no doubt have experienced the cheap bastards that are Spanish/Greek students.

On a night out before with friends from my class and some of their Greek friends. Great laugh in the pub by all accounts, no stinginess was evident then.

Getting a taxi home that night, one of the Greek girl's (first time meeting her) shared it with me as we live quite close. So I drop her off first and she hands me her share of the fare, which according to our rough calculations and the meter should be about £2.50.

Anyway, off I go in the taxi to my place. It is then that I notice that she gave me the following change:

(a) Two 10p coins
    (b) Two 20p coins
    (c) Two 2p coins and one 1p coin
    (d) and one 5p coin......

The cheap, stingy ****er gave me the 10p coins as pound coins. I should have copped onto it at the time but it was dark in the taxi, and I've subsequently heard that this was not the first time she's pulled this act.

I know Greece is suffering financially, but so is Ireland ffs!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

A friend of mine got married abroad, so she invited everyone and insisted we all paid our own way ( accommodation, meal and fare to and from the country,(fair enough) but that included the people she had asked to be bridesmaids :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

Don't be so stingy.

That is an excellent tip for stingy people! Spread the word! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

I was in the pharmacists and bought patches for my wife about €27 but there was 7¸cent change when I asked for it the shopgirl looked at me like I farted in Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I was in the pharmacists and bought patches for my wife about €27 but there was 7¸cent change when I asked for it the shopgirl looked at me like I farted in Church.

Was that the look if you did an out loud noisy fart everyone heard, or the look for a fart which permeates the air with its acrid poisonousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

We used to play five a side every Monday. One euro each for an hour, every week the same fella would make a break for his car just as the game finished to avoid paying the euro. Needless to say this guy was the only one of the group working full time and also the only one living at home rent free also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I really find it hard to understand how some of you (in relation to the rounds system) keep ending up in one with cheap bastards! I really don't want that hassle on a night out and avoid them like the plague.

When I think of stinginess one guy sticks out. Worked in a bar and he used to come in with the wife very often.

"Two Carlsberg, no head on either of them." He'd complain to the manager if there was the slightest bit. Manager was his buddy so there was no way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Had a similar situation a few years ago in my local cinema, on two occasions I believe. Spent about €15, and as I stood waiting for my 10c change, they guy was about to serve the next customer. He looked stunned when I asked for it, and made a show of grudgingly reaching all the way into the till to get it. I can understand if places don't give you back 2 or 3c, but only if they don't have the exact change or you say to put it in the charity box. But if you were to give up 10c whenever you bought something it'd make quite a dent in your finances pretty quickly.

Therefore, the cinema was stingy, but accused me of stinginess.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

c_man wrote: »
    I really find it hard to understand how some of you (in relation to the rounds system) keep ending up in one with cheap bastards! I really don't want that hassle on a night out and avoid them like the plague.

When I think of stinginess one guy sticks out. Worked in a bar and he used to come in with the wife very often.

"Two Carlsberg, no head on either of them." He'd complain to the manager if there was the slightest bit. Manager was his buddy so there was no way out.

That's about 16c he saved there.That man could teach Eddie Hobbs a thing or two.(He probably spilt most of it though cos the glasses were too full)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Merch wrote: »
    Was that the look if you did an out loud noisy fart everyone heard, or the look for a fart which permeates the air with its acrid poisonousness.
    Poisonous but everyone knows it was you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

zerks wrote: »
    He probably spilt most of it though cos the glasses were too full)

Exactly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement