Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Nice early start! Thats a good ol run, the amount of walking is hardly worth talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

My legs were very tired after Sundays run so treated them to a day off. My back is nearly 100% again.
    My wife is on easter holidays so I'm going to take advantage of this fact and get out early which is exactly what I did today.
    A beautiful morning for a run (5.5 miles) but my legs and heart didn't think so. It was a very laboured effort. I'm not concerned though as I know the body is still recovering from Sundays long run.

The rest of the week should go like this
    wed-5
    thu-7 with 5x1k
    sat-5
    sun-12 run only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Are you going to use the run/walk thing during the marathon too?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Are you going to use the run/walk thing during the marathon too?

Absolutely as I know I won't get around otherwise.

Woddle wrote: »
    Absolutely as I know I won't get around otherwise.
    Cool , was reading about some of this a few months ago and it seems that you should get your walking early in the race and not at the point when your getting tired.

I'd say you have read this already

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381--236-2-3X5X7X8-5,00.html

Basically run 1 mile walk 60 second. Think it would drive me crazy :)

• Advertisement

Cheers for that shels, will give it a read later.
    I was listening to Galloway on marathon talk a few weeks back and he made the same point as yourself about walking earlier. I'm experimenting with the long runs at the moment to see what suits and what I'm leaning towards is a 4 mile run followed by 4 minutes walking. The walking would then coincide with gel and water intake.

4.2 hilly miles today. Legs and heart back to normal but I may have spoke too soon regarding my back. It's more of a discomfort than a crippling pain. When I move in certain ways it seems to aggravate it but not so much when I'm running or maybe that's the pain killers talking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I think there is only one cure for the back pain. Simply put, it involves getting rid of the belly :p

menoscemo wrote: »
    t involves getting rid of the belly :p

:D
    Doing my best.
    You want to have seen the sissy fit I had because I couldn't get a top to fit for todays run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

4.2 hilly miles today. Legs and heart back to normal but I may have spoke too soon regarding my back. It's more of a discomfort than a crippling pain. When I move in certain ways it seems to aggravate it but not so much when I'm running or maybe that's the pain killers talking :D

Have you any tightness around hips or hamstrings? My back pain originates from tight hip flexers. Might be worth your while doing some extra stretching, point of pain (back in your case) may be due an imbalance somewhere else in the body.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Have you any tightness around hips or hamstrings? My back pain originates from tight hip flexers. Might be worth your while doing some extra stretching, point of pain (back in your case) may be due an imbalance somewhere else in the body.

+1 on this advice. Have back pain myself at the moment and it down to my hips and my glute minimus (above my ass but below my back:D) glutes piriformus and hammy s can all add to these kinda pains

No real tightness anywhere else, I've been very good at stretching of late.
    I did however foam roll my back earlier which was quite painful, there's a knot on the lower left side just above the waist. If the problem persists I'll go get it looked at properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

+1 to what the lads say, i ve a problem with my QL muscle at present but the physio also found the hip flexors being tight adding to it significantly.

Definitely get it looked at sooner rather than later - painkillers arent the answer. Maybe go herbal and try devils claw for any inflammation.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    +1 to what the lads say, i ve a problem with my QL muscle at present but the physio also found the hip flexors being tight adding to it significantly.

Definitely get it looked at sooner rather than later - painkillers arent the answer. Maybe go herbal and try devils claw for any inflammation.
    Does that stuff actually work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

shels4ever wrote: »
    Does that stuff actually work?
    Hmm, it's next to impossible for me to prove it working for me if you get me but i feel it does. My physio swears by it and was nagging me to take it - i was on difene but the arguement being that the painkillers allow you to overstretch without feeling pain (therby doing damage) whereas something more natural would reduce inflammation but doesn't hide the pain so you restrict movement accordingly. Makes sense to me.

Last weeks workout
    1. 4'07, AHR 177
    recovery 2'24
    2. 4'10, AHR 180
    recovery 2'15
    3. 4'20, AHR 180
    recovery 2'05
    4. 4'28, AHR 180
    recovery 1'55

4k in 17'06, AHR 179, max HR 188

1. 4'14, AHR 176
    recovery 2'06
    2. 4'15, AHR 180
    recovery 3'16
    3. 4'16, AHR 181
    recovery 2'06
    4. 4'24, AHR 181
    recovery 1'48

4k in 17'11, AHR 180, max HR 191

Exact same session as last week and all the figures are similar. I was more consistent with pacing today though as I had the workout set up on the garmin, made life alot easier. No idea how it took me 3 minutes to recover after the 2nd (recovery = time till HR gets to 130bpm)

I hadn't been in the humour for this but realised I'm still afraid of tough workouts. I nearly convinced myself to go on a 12 miler instead.

Day off from running tomorrow so going to get the bike out instead as tri795 is only round the corner aswell.

Over the last couple of days I've been trying to set a target for Sportsworld 5 miler in a couple of weeks time and it just so happens I decided not to run an lsr this week as I know last weeks 16 took alot out of me. So perfect timing for a 5 mile time trial :D
    So I decided to warm up on the turbo and then straight from the front door just try and run controlled and keep within a certain HR. As usual I didn't follow the plan. Started way too quick and the first 1/2 mile is all uphill , very silly but still not a bad effort and I reckon sub 40 is on and maybe in a couple of weeks even sub 38.

Mile 1 - 7'59
    Mile 2 - 8'16
    Mile 3 - 8'19
    Mile 4 - 8'21
    Mile 5 - 8'36

41'31, AHR 178

I ran another 5 after this at a very slow pace and it felt like I was out there forever, torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

You git, very jealous. That's good going mate, delighted for you. Things bode well.

You git, very jealous. That's good going mate, delighted for you. Things bode well.

Cheers Xavi. Good to see you back in action and I'm sure you'll be flying in a few weeks after a bit of consistency.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thats good stuff. Its that time of year again when everyones banging it out :) good luck in your race.

On the back pain thing, I get whats been mentioned above, tight glutes, or rather the muscles in your lower back. Gives horrible backache. Running makes em stiff, but deep massage or needling sorts it out for me for ages. In case it helps.

• Advertisement

Body was far too tired to do anything yesterday and today I decided to just go indoor footy. I was going to wear my HR monitor and see how much an hour of football takes out of me. To my surprise it takes a damn lot out of you.
    For the hour tonight my AHR was 173 and was maxing at 192, just to give you an idea of what that means my easy runs are 150-160 and Sundays 5 mile time trial was 178.
    Don't quite know what it all means but still some interesting info.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81801746

Rest of week
    Wed - 8-10 miles easy
    Thur - 7 miles inc 5x1k
    Sat - 5 miles easy
    Sun - 18-20 miles walk/run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Body was far too tired to do anything yesterday and today I decided to just go indoor footy. I was going to wear my HR monitor and see how much an hour of football takes out of me. To my surprise it takes a damn lot out of you.

Yeah I have the dirty football habit as well. It does take a lot out. When training for barcelona I honestly felt worse the morning after ball than I did the morning after some of those awful Daniels long runs with 7-8 tempo miles thrown in. I didnt log it too much because I knew what id get :D Its all the sprinting and stop-starting I reckon. Still, all worth it when you score that one screamer :)

Keep up the training - interested to see how this weeks intervals go - I found the third session back was when I started to find them a little easier.

Keep up the training - interested to see how this weeks intervals go - I found the third session back was when I started to find them a little easier.

Cheers for that.

I had a shocker tonight, I was just so slow and sluggish.
    I'm going to have company for the intervals this week so no excuses for not getting the 5 done.

Last weeks workout

1. 4'14, AHR 176
    recovery 2'06
    2. 4'15, AHR 180
    recovery 3'16
    3. 4'16, AHR 181
    recovery 2'06
    4. 4'24, AHR 181
    recovery 1'48

4k in 17'11 (4'18 per k average), AHR 180, max HR 191

1. 4'08, AHR 174
    recovery 2'30
    2. 4'15, AHR 181
    recovery 2'30
    3. 4'18, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'18, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'15, AHR 184

5k in 21'14 (4'15 per k average), AHR 180, max HR 193

For some strange reason I was getting myself into a tizzy in anticipation of this session which led to a headache. I started to feel the way I do before races, a dose of anxiety. I finally copped myself on and played it down a little in front of meno and gerard65.
    I had Menoscemo for company and this turned out to be a godsend as the reps went quicker and just the fact that he was there helped me get through the 5th, thanks man.
    Actually delighted with this session. It felt alot easier than the previous two weeks even though my heart rate was slightly up and maybe should have done a 6th. Another reason for the session feeling easier could be that I increased my recovery in between to 2'30 (this was to make sure I got the 5 done) instead of the average 2.
    On the cooldown home the legs still felt good which is another good sign.
    Twas a good day :D and thank you Mr solpadine, headache is near gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good work Woddle.

What a lovely run I had this morning. I ran the back road up to marlay and then out of marlay into the hermitage (st endas park) and when your running easy the parks really come alive.
    5 miles at 9'20 pace
    AHR 156bpm/71% HRR

miles to add 5

Plan was for 18-20 miles. I decided to use a different route that myself figs and Ral3 used to do. I remembered it as being easier than my hilly route around Ballyboden, it's not :D
    I woke at 6:30 and was really looking forward to the run, first objective though was to not wake the baby as this would lead to a huge delay. When I was in the kitchen I could hear sth going on but it was just the 5 year old, thanked God and then out the door at 7am.
    The plan was to keep the HR way down (150s) and that went well for the first 5 miles and everything felt easy but then the HR started to rise. I tried in vain to correct my pace. When I look back over the course elevation you can see that the first 5 miles are downhill (easy) and then pretty much the rest are all slight inclines (hard) bar 1 or 2.
    The nutrition plan when setting off was to stop every 4 miles and walk for 4 minutes while taking a gel (thanks RK :D as my wiggle delivery still hasn't arrived) and water but I didn't stick to it. It's just under 6 miles from my house to the phoenix park so I thought I'd take the first one then, as I wasn't enjoying the run along the dirty streets and having to dodge alcohol filled vomit lakes and really just wanted to get into the park asap. This turned out to be a disaster and the nutrition plan failed.
    I then died from about 13 miles on and walked far more than I should have. So in total 18 slow miles and a few lessons learned, the high light by far was running in the phoenix park but next week I'll be sticking to the hills just up from Ballyboden and into marlay park.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/82655547

Plan for next week is 20 and and sticking to the nutrition plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

The nutrition plan when setting off was to stop every 4 miles and walk for 4 minutes while taking a gel (thanks RK :D as my wiggle delivery still

Plan for next week is 20 and and sticking to the nutrition plan.

why plan for timed walk breaks,if you u are running to HR,why not just walk when ur heart rate goes over whatever limit u set and run again when it goes below...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

you did more miles than me today;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Either way, it's still time on your feet and that's a very good thing at this stage.

Advertisement