Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Woddle wrote: »
    weeks. Very warm out there and I'm still sporting a pink/purple face
    Ah youre only working hard when you get white patches on your deep red face. :D

Have thought about Bunclody but its off my list for this year, I might go up to cheer everyone on tho, Ill be watching this space to see if you enter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Oryx wrote: »
    Have thought about Bunclody but its off my list for this year, I might go up to cheer everyone on tho, Ill be watching this space to see if you enter.

Just signed up now, so that's 5 races I'm in now

May 15th - sportsworld 5 miler
    June - ?
    July 9th - tri 795
    July 16th - 5 miles race series
    Aug 20th - 10 mile race series

The sportsworld 5 I think gives me enough time to go sub 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

June - 10k in Dunshaughlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

June - ?

WW Relay June 11th :)

WW Relay June 11th :)

Doubt I'll be recovered in time :D

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    June - 10k in Dunshaughlin

No but I did it in 09 and it's a cracking race, actually all the Meath races are excellent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Doubt I'll be recovered in time :D

You doing something else other than the Cork relay? Portumna 100k? :pac:

5 miles this evening, very enjoyable and no thoughts of walking, pace was about 9'10 which is quicker than what I have been doing but felt good. I ran up the back roads on the way to marlay,the park was beautiful and quiet just how I like it.
    Decided I'd listen to marathon talk as I reckon I was just in bad form the last day when complaining about them. Tonys trials had me in fits of laughter and there was a nice piece on caffiene.
    Took my turbo out of the press and the plan is to use it in the mornings. Baby tends to go back to bed at 10 and sleeps till about 12 so plenty of time.

My new runners arrived today, mizuno wave rider 14. Bought them from wiggle and have never inspected a pair from this brand before. When I first looked at them I wasn't happy, I'd never buy a pair of trainers with a heel like this. Too late to return them as the shoe box already had windows and doors in them and a family of plastic pigs living in them.
    Anyway gave them a bash and for the first couple of miles the outside of my right foot was feeling funny but after I'd finished climbing things settled down and I'm actually very happy with my purchase.
    Fantastic 5.7 miles this evening. Decided to head uphill along Edmonstown road then over by Tibradden and in to Marlay park, then out of Marlay park and in to St Endas park, lovely route and again nice and quiet. Probably ran it too fast again but will sort this out starting tomorrow.
    5.72 miles @ 9'01 pace
    AHR 170/80%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

looks like you are getting back into it nicely.Wave rider my favourite shoe at the moment.good luck with the training.kev

• Advertisement

looks like you are getting back into it nicely.Wave rider my favourite shoe at the moment.good luck with the training.kev

Cheers man and it's good to see you going so well but glad your having a down week :D

Went indoor footy last night, only 9 turned up and I was on the 4 so plenty of running and little sprints, best game I've had in a while and I can feel the fitness returning.
    That's 4 days on the trot of doing sth and the legs felt tired so day off today, going to try and do some kind of time trial tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

you might not be saying that tommorow :eek:
    time trial after footie wouldnt be ideal,maybe do it sat or sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

you might not be saying that tommorow :eek:
    time trial after footie wouldnt be ideal,maybe do it sat or sunday?

agreed. football muscles very different to running muscles. Run easy for a couple of days!

Took the above advise from RR and thirstyworker and just ran an easy 5 and for a change it really was easy. Even when finished the run there was no arsing about and I was straight into the shower.
    5 miles at 9'34 a mile
    AHR 160/74%

I'll definitely be doing sth a little faster tomorrow rather than Saturday as I want to hit 10 on Sunday or at least try.

Last 2 days have been filled with excuses. My wife and I have come up with a time when I can go on my runs. Weekend = before kids wake (I was always good at this so shouldn't be a problem) and Weekdays =3:30 when she gets in from work but I must have dinner ready and be in my gear ( I can do that).

This morning
    13.73 miles, pace slow, AHR 162
    Time to be honest in this log. I signed up for the full marathon in Cork two weeks ago so that gives me 11 weeks. Tomorrow is 9 weeks. I don't really care what time I do as long as I finish.
    Because I'm only getting back into it I've decided to do a Jeff Galloway and run/walk it. In todays run I went with a 3 mile run 5 minute walk and it seem to be going well.
    My course selection today was not smart though and it was very hilly towards the start which seemed to zap the legs. I didn't bring any gels or water as I didn't think I'd be out there that long but I was and it was getting warm. I got to 12.5 miles and decided I needed to get a drink (I always bring €2 with me for long runs) and man was I thirsty, I had that BPM drank in about 2 minutes which then led to a bit of a stitch.
    Overall I'm fairly happy, pace was slow but so what and having made a good deal with the wife I'm looking forward to next weeks training.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Time to be honest in this log. I signed up for the full marathon in Cork two weeks ago so that gives me 11 weeks. Tomorrow is 9 weeks. I don't really care what time I do as long as I finish.
    Sneaky! Good luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Best of luck with the training dave. Glad to see you ve something to focus the mind on.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    something to focus the mind on.

:D
    That's it in a nutshell, I felt 11 weeks was just enouch to keep my attention.
    Glad to see you back out on the bike today, must go for a few spins over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Great stuff - from an idea to get back in a barcelona pub to training for a marathon in one month. Thats how you make a comeback......:cool:

Look after yourself though and enjoy the training! Should set you up for the summer in any case

• Advertisement

Booo I liked being in on the secret. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Best of luck woddle, fair play to ya for going for the full. Ive had a disastrous week that started with me drinking a half crate of budweiser on monday and went downhill from there. Starting the weight loss challenge tomorrow though so a new start eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Time to be honest in this log. I signed up for the full marathon in Cork two weeks ago so that gives me 11 weeks. Tomorrow is 9 weeks.

I take it the graded meets (800/1500) are no longer on the cards :)

I take it the graded meets (800/1500) are no longer on the cards :)

still the plan, I reckon this can only help with building an aerobic sytem and I've decided on one workout a week, mile repeats. Mcmillan reckons it's the best work out for all distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hopefully you will not have to contend with the weather conditions like last year, it was a shocking day out.

Hopefully you will not have to contend with the weather conditions like last year, it was a shocking day out.

I was there taking pics. I think I'd take the wind and rain over the sun from the previous year.

5 miles tonight, pace just over 9 minute miles. Legs were very tired but my heart rate remained low, very happy with that.

Rough plan for the rest of the week.

Tue - 30 mins or rest
    Wed - mile repeats, no idea how many, maybe 3, I'll play it by ear on the day.
    Thur - 5 miles easy
    Fri - 200 meters uphill x ?, not sure on recovery, again will play it by ear.
    Sat - rest
    Sunday 15-17 mile lsr run/walk

I'm going to give indoor footy a miss this week.
    Diet was really good today.

Decided Tuesday would be a rest day, then Wednesday I was laid up with a sore back that was still annoying me slightly today but it wasn't going to stop me getting out.
    I headed to Marlay park and when I got there I felt OK so decided to do 4x1k, recovery would be a walk until the HR returned to 130 bpm.

1. 4'07, AHR 177
    recovery 2'24
    2. 4'10, AHR 180
    recovery 2'15
    3. 4'20, AHR 180
    recovery 2'05
    4. 4'28, AHR 180
    recovery 1'55

10k in total today, http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79159798

Couldn't do a 5th as I was losing all form and starting to retch. I was surprised that the recovery was getting shorter, I would have thought it would have been getting longer, interesting. I'll try for 5 next week for sure and will try and pace better but overall I'm not too disappointed, first speed workout this year and when I used to do this session I'd be running at 3'50 with 2 mins recovery and the first 2 reps weren't a million miles from that.

Happy Birthday!

Missed Fridays run due to a combination of a sore back and drink. Also gave Saturday a miss as back was still acting up and I didn't want to jeopardise my long run on Sunday.
    I was woken at 5am by the baby so decided to take some pain killers in preperation for the run, got up properly at 6'30 and was out the door by 7am.
    My target was 15-17 miles and again I would be adopting a walk/run approach.
    I decided I'd walk for the first time at 5 miles but due to trying a slightly different route, that would have left me at the bottom of a huge hill and I didn't really want to waste my walking break walking up a hill so stopped at mile 6 instead and walked for 5 minutes, then I ran the next 4 miles and walked for 4 minutes and then ran 3 miles and walked for 3 minutes, so in total 12 minutes of walking.

So in total 16 miles in 2'39'43, pace 9'58
    AHR 161/74%

• Advertisement

Decided to see how many seconds you lose by walking and I'm a bit surprised, it's not that much.
    Walk/run pace for today was 9'58
    run pace excluding todays walk breaks 9'39

Advertisement