Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Today I picked up 1 of each of these:
    Erdinger Dunkel
    Eichbaum Ureich
    Svyturys Wheat Baltas
    Svyturys Nefltrouotas Raw
    Lacplesis Premium Pils
    Zlaty Bazant
    Kriek Boon
    Shepherd Neame 1698
    Chimay White
    Maisels Weisse Original
    Kalnapilis Pilsner
    GFL (Gluten & Wheat free beer)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

last wend i was in Galway.checked into hotel then straight out looking for the Bierhaus.
    came across the Salthouse while looking and what a pub.i love the place.
    was with two mates who love BUD-CARLESBERG and Guinness.
    i told them we were not drinking any of the above or similar.

1st up was there own bay lager and i was impressed and the lads loved it.
    next we had there bay ale which was also good and my mates liked it.
    after that we had Or from trouble and followed that with a galway hooker
    mates tought this was the best so far.

we moved onto the Bierhaus as i belived they did food=they dont so we just had 1pt of hooker at 3euro a pt.
    went to Monroes and got dinner and another pt of hooker or two.

a funny bit to the rest of the evening is we left 2 or 3 pubs later without getting a drink as the didnt have hooker.

saturday we went to a pub for food n footy but left after the match and straight back to the salthouse where i got the lads there 1st taste of O Haras stout.
    in the words of one of the lads "best fcukin pts i ever had"

all in all a great wend and found the bay lager better than expected and loved the salthouse.
    cant wait for a return visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im going to the Czech Rep for a week. Heaven! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

blueshed wrote: »
    found the bay lager better than expected and loved the salthouse.
    Against the Grain on Wexford Street in Dublin is owned by the same people and serves the Bay beers as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Tonight I got a bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which wasnt quite up my street but was grand easy drink.

Now I'm about to crack a bottle of Brew Dog Paradox Isle of Aran Imperial stout, the off licence guy assured me I was in for a treat.

I've another bottle of schtuff in the fridge which i cant remember what, I'll fill it in later :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Brew Dog Tokyo.

Curious.

Not quite so sure about this Isle of arron, it's nearly overpowering in the booze department, smelling it is nearly making my eyes water and it's incredibly sweet.

smells like stale irish coffee... passable I guess, though I'm kinda lamenting not just buying another bottle of Ola Dubh 12...

I love drinkstore.ie

Today I had delivered 1 of each of the following:
    Coopers Pale Ale
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot 2011
    Belfast Blonde
    BrewDog 77
    Sierra Nevada Kellerweis
    Judas
    Belzebuth
    Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
    Blue Moon
    Copper Coast Red Ale
    BrewDog Trashy Blonde
    Flying Dog Road Dog Porter
    Brooklyn Pennant Ale 55
    Jever Pilsener
    La Guillotine
    De Molen Op & Top
    De Molen Pilz

And I got 2 free glasses. A Porterhouse An Brainblasta one and a Krombacher Pils one.

The Bigfoot is best left for a year or so. It tends to be very harsh when young.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Bigfoot is best left for a year or so. It tends to be very harsh when young.

Thanks for the tip. Im pretty sure I read the same about the De Molen stuff. Know anything about that?

• Advertisement

De Molen is always good :) The two you have are low ABV so should be drunk fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

In the spirit of the thread I AM DRINKING these even if I happen to sell them as well. ;)

Good aul Warehouse. :D

Asahi - no picture needed.

Goldings - New from Shepherd Neame(in country around 8 hours)
    9070cff9.jpg

Krombacher Dunkel - didnt like Erdinger Dunkel but you never know
    b5793594.jpg

Apparently China's biggest selling Beer
    ecc40934.jpg

Berty wrote: »
    New from Shepherd Neame(in country around 8 hours)
    Nah, Lidl have had that a few times over the last couple of years. Any chance you'd be able to tell the powers at Sheps that your customers (me at least) would be more likely to buy their beer if it wasn't in clear glass bottles?
    Krombacher Dunkel - didnt like Erdinger Dunkel but you never know
    Totally different style to Erdinger, being a lager rather than a weissbier. I look forward to picking this up when I see it. Dark lagers are lovely.
    Apparently China's biggest selling Beer
    Though brewed in Faversham by Shepherd Neame, right?

Nah, Lidl have had that a few times over the last couple of years. Any chance you'd be able to tell the powers at Sheps that your customers (me at least) would be more likely to buy their beer if it wasn't in clear glass bottles?

They are going to be rotating this with different products for each different season so this will only be around till August I'd say.

On the glass. :confused: I'll mention it to the boss.
    Totally different style to Erdinger, being a lager rather than a weissbier. I look forward to picking this up when I see it. Dark lagers are lovely.

I would like to be a fan so hopefully this will cure me.
    Though brewed in Faversham by Shepherd Neame, right?

Yep. They didn't fair too badly with Asahi so this should be good.

They are going to be rotating this with different products for each different season
    They've been running those seasonals in Lidl for a while now -- €1.50 a bottle. And they're really not very good, IMO.

They've been running those seasonals in Lidl for a while now -- €1.50 a bottle. And they're really not very good, IMO.

It's in the Fridge now. 'Erself is complaining because beer has a major monopoly on space in the fridge of late.

I'll let you know later what I think of it. I was a big fan of the Whitstable Ale you see so basing it on, being the same colour, im hoping for something similar.

Lidl are very cheap for it so. Found a few bottles of Masterbrew in an Off License in Co Limerick. They have been there a lonnngggggggg time. Probably found during a stocktake buried. They looked nasty. So old you couldn't even see the best before date. I'm guessing its passed its sell by date by at least 18 months. She said she would "pass on the observation" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Drinking the Brew Dog/Mikkeler blended 'I Hardcore You' tonight.

Its up there with the best, very impressed. Glad I bought two!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

slayerking wrote: »
    Drinking the Brew Dog/Mikkeler blended 'I Hardcore You' tonight.

Its up there with the best, very impressed. Glad I bought two!

Great minds thing alike :D I have not tried them yet though.

Tonight, as well as my own beer, I had Warrior IPA from Left Hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Speakeasy's Big Daddy IPA, purchased at Super Valu on Aston Quay.

It's my third time having it. A really delicious beer.

Pints of Tuborg in me local...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

At the Meantime brewery in Greenwich had Mean time pale ale from cask and was a really good beer.

Moved onto Dark Star Hophead on cask also excellent. Might stay here for a few more!!

Erdinger Swowbeer. Feck it, its best before June 11. Nobody is going to buy the measly 3 cases I had left. 6 bottles in fridge now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Was in Superquinn today so availed of the 6 for €12 deal, or rather 12 for €24! Usually get a combo of Chimay, Duvel, Paulaner and Staropramen but decided to add a couple of each O' Hara's Irish Red and Irish Stout to the mix. Not overly impressed by either - Irish Red is very musty and the Stout very bland. Not sorry I tried them but probably wont buy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    decided to add a couple of each O' Hara's Irish Red and Irish Stout to the mix. Not overly impressed by either - Irish Red is very musty and the Stout very bland. Not sorry I tried them but probably wont buy again.
    I have to fully agree with you. Anybody I meet that's into craft beers rant and rave about them but I just can't take to them at all. For me the Stout is very rubbery and leaves a chalky finish, very unsatisfying.

On the other end of the O'Haras spectrum I absolutely adore Leann Follain, it's the best Irish Beer out there at the moment imo. A craftpub I regularly frequent is rumoured to be getting a barrel of it on cask, I'm crossing my legs in anticipation;).

For me tonight I've a Belgian reliable lined up, a few bottles of Kwak.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

BenShermin wrote: »
    I have to fully agree with you. Anybody I meet that's into craft beers rant and rave about them but I just can't take to them at all. For me the Stout is very rubbery and leaves a chalky finish, very unsatisfying.

On the other end of the O'Haras spectrum I absolutely adore Leann Follain, it's the best Irish Beer out there at the moment imo. A craftpub I regularly frequent is rumoured to be getting a barrel of it on cask, I'm crossing my legs in anticipation;).

Excellent!

There's no beating good belgian beer IMO.

Hope you've got the right glass for the Kwak! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

BenShermin wrote: »

I don't know if people rant and rave about them but they're a decent example of an Irish stout and an Irish red, if such a thing exists. I'm still waiting to taste a good Irish red.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I don't know if people rant and rave about them but they're a decent example of an Irish stout and an Irish red, if such a thing exists. I'm still waiting to taste a good Irish red.

I liked the aldi specially selected irish red when it was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Haven't posted here yet guys but follow the thread as I'm a serious beer lover. I love the Belgian beers but like the occasional light beer around 5% :) Anyway, I'm a fan of Banana Bread Beers as I enjoy the taste & find it very refreshing. Today in Superquinn Lucan they were doing an offer on all Wells beers. 6 for €12 so I grabbed myself 6 Bananas & I'm enjoying them right now. Anyway, not sure if the offer is at all Superquinn branches but worth a look tomorrow. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Has anyone tasted ashai beer?its from japan,Saw it in my local super value for 3 euro a bottle :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Has anyone tasted ashai beer?its from japan,Saw it in my local super value for 3 euro a bottle :eek:

It's a pretty ordinary lager - not bad.

Was at a wedding yesterday so opted for my usual 'when in a crap bar beer' - Smithwick's. But this was strangely nice Smithwick's as opposed to the usual 'completely inoffensive' Smithwicks. It was sour. Nice sour! Almost like it had a touch of Lambic blended into it. I loved it and I didn't tell the barman about it until I'd had my last pint. I was urging him to taste it but rules and cameras meant that under no circumstances could he even pour a drop into a glass and taste it. Anyway, I was a happy camper and I feel fine today after a fist of pints!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement