Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

JohnyDarko wrote: »
    I do hope this game is good though... but again I'm going to hold against getting excited till we see some screens from it... its also going up against Dragon Age 2 this time, so hopefully the developers will pull out all the stops.

You mean oblivion gate 1-50000 vs loading screen&loading screen&loading screen? :(
    Morrowind was the better game, hope they take inspiration from that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I hope they really step up the storyline and voice acting. The days of half a dozen ham actors voicing everyone in an RPG should be long gone. Mass Effect 2 has set the bar very high and it makes it hard to go back to games which dont lavish the same attention on these aspects of the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd rather the ****ty voice actors and graphics if the game was nothing at all like me2, horrible dissapointing game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems like it's a brand new engine. I still expect it to be riddled with bugs but sure that's what you have to expect from hugely ambitious games. Not a fan of oblivion so I'm hoping for a Fallout sequel announced on the engine and given to Obsidian.

i'd rather the ****ty voice actors and graphics if the game was nothing at all like me2, horrible dissapointing game.

Why so?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it just felt like a straight fps with a few dialogue trees thrown in on top of it. didnt take to any of the characters either bar garrus and miranda and I really really hate the paragon/renegade options in the dialogue. It just bored the pants off me. I'm not a huge rpg fan so i'm not coming at this from a perspective of 'omgz its not morrowind eleventyone', i havent even played morrowind, but me2 just did not grab me at all.
    of course I realise I am just about as alone as anyone can get in that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No, they did a really horrible job in the storytelling department. Frankly, each Elder Scrolls game has had some variety of problem in that regard. At least the 2 I played. Morrowind's unreadable journal system meant you had to play this game pretty much at a constant just to remember what was going on. And in Oblivion it was just a mash of voice actors and random characters. You would think that being fans of storytelling, storytelling would be what they're best at, but what you get is this often uncontrollable mesh of sidequests and everything else that do what they can to marginalize the main plot because the main plot really isn't given a whole lot of gravity. Especially not when everything is the same: the voice acting is all the same, for one, but the leveling was all the same. You basically are overwhelmed at any one point because you can go - well, anywhere, without much sense of consequence, knowing you could probably run down just about any mob you come across with enough tact. Theres no "Damn I have to come back to this area later" or feeling of "yes I'm finally strong enough to save the world" etc.

Not to mention the whole "Lone hero saves the world" thing is getting pretty dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

I'm a massive of Bethesda and the Elder Scrolls series and for anyone to say Morrowind is definitively better than Oblivion is ignorant. Oblivion is the better game; Morrowind, the better world. Dialogue and interaction needs to be fixed: never worked in Morrowind and ham-fisted approach with Oblivion and Fallout 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    for anyone to say Morrowind is definitively better than Oblivion is ignorant. Oblivion is the better game; Morrowind, the better world

Only thing they did better in Oblivion was combat and graphics (although you can make Morrowind look quite amazing with a few mods and I do believe there is another mod to make the combat more like Oblivion's), everything else in Morrowind is better imo. The lore, the story, the sense of immersion etc.

I will always consider Morrowind the superior game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Advertisement

I love those guards. Remember playing one day where someone was chasing after me and a guard stepped in and killed him. The guard then proceeded to take a few steps forward, before running back exclaiming, "there's been a murder!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davearthurs

In my book the levelling and re-spawning in Oblivion ruined it but the story was pretty lame too.
    Morrowind was an amazing game. Much better story and a lot more hidden oddities like the mudcrab trader, secret weapons etc.,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The one thing Bethesda desperately need is a good script writer and someone that can doing dialogue choices well. They'd be on to a real winner then. Bethesdas storytelling so far has just been terrible. Still didnt stop me enjoying the hell out of Fallout 3 but Oblivion was too bland and cliche and I just gave up.

I suppose it depends on what you want from a game. I came to RPGs late and Im in no way an aficionado. I played Morrowind and enjoyed it, the same for Oblivion. But they never got me the way ME2, or even ME1 did. Its because I primarily played fps's and tps's before and to get the action of those genres mixed up with the depth of an RPG is what I like most. Old school RPG's just dont do it for me.
    The trailer for Skyrim is very Lord of the Ringsesque, so I think if they could produce a game with the same sort of epic storyline, cutscenes and engaging characters as ME and put that in the Elder Scrolls universe, it would be a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Oblivion was my first elder scrolls game so when i played it it completely blew my mind. Huge open world, fast action combat, new interesting leveling system.
    Will definitely get this but the magic may be gone for me.

Worst thing about playing oblivion was that i realised what i missed out on with morrowind. Id played pretty much every decent PC rpg but i just assumed morrowind sucked, even though i didnt know what kind of game it was. Serious fail :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Spunge wrote: »
    Oblivion was my first elder scrolls game so when i played it it completely blew my mind. Huge open world, fast action combat, new interesting leveling system.
    Will definitely get this but the magic may be gone for me.

Worst thing about playing oblivion was that i realised what i missed out on with morrowind. Id played pretty much every decent PC rpg but i just assumed morrowind sucked, even though i didnt know what kind of game it was. Serious fail :(

You can still play it - sure it looks dated, but thats not a huge issue. I still play it now and then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

You can still play it - sure it looks dated, but thats not a huge issue. I still play it now and then! :)

yeah just pissed i could have been playing the **** out of it since 2003 and my mind would have been blown all over the ceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

still think diablo III is going to be THE rpg of the year. Really is great looking RPG games coming out this year,.

I hate Diable so not for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

oh f**k yes i just came in my pants also, cant wait, november 2011 is gonna rule, you got uncharted 3, and now oblivion 5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fallout 3 / New Vegas may have better characters & voice acting, but for me Oblivion has the better experience & sense of wonder. Sure the main story was forgettable (and at times amateur), and the voice acting left a lot to be desired, but then really: who actually played Oblivion for the main quest? Oblivion is very much one of those situations where the journey is far more entertaining than the destination.

I still recall the very first time I got out of the sewers; I ignored the quest marker pointing me the way to go, and just went off wandering. That first meeting with a guard on horseback (I want his horse!), or finding a random tavern just off the main road (beer please). Marvellous. In many ways it felt more like a real world than Fallout, despite the shoddy writing. Sure there were one too many identikit caves / dungeons, but again I just ignored them except when I needed the cash.

Goddamnit, stuff New Vegas, I'm off to Cyrodil again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

wonder will we have levitate this time :) loved being able to fly in morrowind

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Elder Scrolls V: Mass Effect :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Agricola wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on what you want from a game. I came to RPGs late and Im in no way an aficionado. I played Morrowind and enjoyed it, the same for Oblivion. But they never got me the way ME2, or even ME1 did. Its because I primarily played fps's and tps's before and to get the action of those genres mixed up with the depth of an RPG is what I like most. Old school RPG's just dont do it for me.

This is something I desperately want it to avoid, but I've a strong suspicion it's going to be RPG-lite to get mass appeal. I wasn't mad on the main plot of ME1 or the lack of plot for ME2, but the side quests and character development were fantastic and is something I'd like Bethesda to strive for. But that type of action based game play should be avoided, in my opinion.

But then again, I was brought up on old school RPG's and old habits die hard. :D
    Magill wrote: »
    still think diablo III is going to be THE rpg of the year. Really is great looking RPG games coming out this year,.

I'm looking forward to Diablo 3, but it's hardly the same type of game as this. It's more of an action click-fest (and my fingers still hurt after Torchlight!).

As said before, Bethesda need to sort out their scriptwriting department (and their casting department). It's going to be very tempting for them to just make something similar to games out there already, but I'm hoping beyond hope that they're trying to create something new. I want a huge Daggerfall sized map that would take you months just to explore, with side quests that draw you into the lives of the characters in the game, as opposed to just doing a few jobs for someone and never talking to them again.

I know it's asking a lot, but it's not outside the realms of possibility. And I can dream... :o

edit: actuall, out of curiosity, I looked for some info on the size of the Daggerfall map and found this:

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/large-video-game-worlds2.jpg

Oblivion was roughly 16 square miles and Daggerfall was roughly 62,394 square miles, so maybe I am asking a little too much. :D

I'd be happy with an Morrowind/Oblivion sized map, with fast travel turned off. You don't want massive empty plains, with nothing at all of interest in them. Realistic maybe, but damn boring.

Also, that picture can't be right surely. Lord of the Rings online's world isnt 375 times as big as Warcraft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

humanji wrote: »
    Oblivion was roughly 16 square miles and Daggerfall was roughly 62,394 square miles, so maybe I am asking a little too much. :D

Yeah, but Daggerfall's terrain was just randomly generated . . . :p

I just want a landscape that is diverse, like Morrowind had many different zones of vegetation and the like. I still loved the landscape of Oblivion though . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd be happy with an Morrowind/Oblivion sized map, with fast travel turned off. You don't want massive empty plains, with nothing at all of interest in them. Realistic maybe, but damn boring.

Also, that picture can't be right surely. Lord of the Rings online's world isnt 375 times as big as Warcraft.

I was wondering that myself. But LOTRO is pretty f*cking huge. Wow seems more compact, but has more going on in it. LOTRO has lots wide open space with not much going on. I'd actually be curious to see if there's an image like that which only shows MMO's (I guess they can leave out Eve, because that's just unfair :D )
    Yeah, but Daggerfall's terrain was just randomly generated . . . :p

I just want a landscape that is diverse, like Morrowind had many different zones of vegetation and the like. I still loved the landscape of Oblivion though . . .

I'd actually quite like if they could figure out how to randomly generate the terrain. It's a huge task, but would make each persons game unique. Just have certain sections that remain the same.

And while I'm demanding how the game should be made, I want a magic system like Two Worlds 2. That was brilliant fun to play around with.

And I want no more Oblivion Gates!!!!

And I'd like there to be werewolves and vampires that can turn you.

And I want a horse named Ken.

That should do it for now.

Pretty silly - ruling out playing Skyrim even before any actual details have been shared with us. I am confident that Bethesda will be addressing some of the concerns with the levelling system - considering it was widely criticised by all in Oblivion.

TES is probably my favourite series of games. Yes, Morrowind was excellent and yes some of the features introduced in Oblivion were a step backwards. It seems as time goes on and people look back at the "old days" they are becoming more and more blind in regards recognising some of the failures of Morrowind.

Morrowind was far from perfect in itself. The combat system for example, to be frank, was awful in so many ways.

There is a deeply conservative element within TES's fan-base which can be found throughout the fan-bases of RPG games, where change in general is greatly lamented.

• Advertisement

However Morrowind was far from perfect in itself. The combat system for example, to be frank, was awful in so many ways.

This is pretty much the only thing thats stopping me from spending many more hours/days playing Morrowind again. Sitting outside the starter area, swinging your sword at a mudcrap, missing 14/15 times, was amazingly annoying. Give me Morrowind, with Oblivions graphics and combat engine, and i'd be a very happy person.

Advertisement