Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Chart, Forecast Analysis & Warnings- 29/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Aye, my stag weekend has been called off unfortunately. Gonna get **** faced and watch the weekend unfold on the forum instead :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Anyone seen the 18Z run yet:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Aye, my stag weekend has been called off unfortunately. Gonna get **** faced and watch the weekend unfold on the forum instead :o

haha...A load of lads around a computer looking at baords all pure Locked going crazy looking at reports of snow on its way! hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

Wind has just picked up in south west Mayo, from the SW. Feels weird to have a warm wind in your face, temp jumped straight up to +2, and i'd say its going to rise a few more degrees,
    aint gonna be no snow here in the am. Bummer

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Wind has just picked up in south west Mayo, from the SW. Feels weird to have a warm wind in your face, temp jumped straight up to +2, and i'd say its going to rise a few more degrees,
    aint gonna be no snow here in the am. Bummer

sorry to hear. i wonder would Su Campu call sleet in the east.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

inabina wrote: »
    sorry to hear. i wonder would Su Campu call sleet in the east.

This is Su's thinking on it ,

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/12/closer-look-at-fridays-frontal-system.html

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Feels weird to have a warm wind in your face, temp jumped straight up to +2

Seems strange to be calling +2 'a warm wind'. It's all relative I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Anyone seen the 18Z run yet:confused:

Looks like a band of snow for the southern half of the country on Saturday after tomorrow's snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Min wrote: »
    Looks like a band of snow for the southern half of the country on Saturday after tomorrow's snow...

Someone mentioned this looks more like rain on the latest GFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

baraca wrote: »
    Someone mentioned this looks more like rain on the latest GFS

Probably snow at first and then turning to sleet and freezing rain.

• Advertisement

In midnight reports, mullingar is up to -9, but oak park is down to -9 and casement -8. I have a feeling casement or oak park will get the coldest temps tonight being the further east stations, mullingar will warm up with the weak front earlier than the other ones. Gurteen is only at -7, i thought it would be lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I hate the Pale. East wind and the snow only goes a bit inland. NW wind and it'll rain here but snow heavily in the midlands and east. UGH!

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I hate the Pale. East wind and the snow only goes a bit inland. NW wind and it'll rain here but snow heavily in the midlands and east. UGH!

It went a long way inland some days, to athlone and even further. Its only today really that the streamers died out after hitting kildare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It looks like a band of mostly light - moderate snowfall will cross the country this morning giving some extra accumulation (3 - 5cms). It should clear by mid afternoon but could have a very brief period of rain or drizzle. Temperatures will rise to 8 or possibly 9C in Western costal counties initiating a fast thaw there. Showers will follow here as the front clears. These will mostly be of rain but some hail is possible too. Over the rest of the country temperatures staying at or near freezing so no real thaw. A calm day in terms of wind. A very cold night tonight with temperatures as low as -6 away from windward coasts so ice and frost a problem again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Had 4 - 5 inches of snow here this morning (4am-9am) I see a large bank of cloud slightly NW of Donegal in the Atlantic.. what is it carrying?

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Frezing rain wll be the big issue over the next 24 hours. so don't drive unless it's an emergency

Showers will make their way across the country from east to west in the eary hours. The showers will be of rain and sleet in most places, except for the midlands, parts of the north, and the northeast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

How are we looking for the weekend and into next week? Are we going to come out of this mild spell or is this it?

gens-0-0-96.png?12

gefs_cartes.php

More cold uppers on the way for tuesday . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

snaps wrote: »
    How are we looking for the weekend and into next week? Are we going to come out of this mild spell or is this it?

This is the only mild bit you could see for a while, models are hinting at a very cold spell again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It doesn't make too much difference for that chart but just in case you didn't know, thats actually the GFS control run. It's the same as the operational run but it's at a lower resolution so its not usually as accurate in the medium term because it can miss things that the operational run doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

What's the best site again for the various models? I had one bookmarked before but can't seem to find it now.

It doesn't make too much difference for that chart but just in case you didn't know, thats actually the GFS control run. It's the same as the operational run but it's at a lower resolution so its not usually as accurate in the medium term because it can miss things that the operational run doesn't.

Oops, copied the wrong one! Thanks for pointing that out!

What's the best site again for the various models? I had one bookmarked before but can't seem to find it now.

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

gens-0-0-96.png?12

gefs_cartes.php

So does that mean more easterlies / north easterlies and snow streamers off the Irish sea again ?

Not wrote: »
    So does that mean more easterlies / north easterlies and snow streamers off the Irish sea again ?

Possibly but it wont be as cold as this week was .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

From my research, the most likely error in model output past day five in the current situation would be under-predicted retrogression. In other words, large-scale features may actually move west faster than depicted (if depicted at all). And looking at the output we have today, that would mean a greater tendency to cold northerly flow patterns re-emerging as they did before the recent very cold week.

I would look for several shots of arctic reinforcement later this month, and perhaps at least one as impressive as this past one was -- timing for these colder shots would be something like 6-7, 12-13, 19-21 and 28-29 Dec. Around those times you could expect waves to be dropping south or southeast and after those dates, colder weather than before those dates. The energy peak on 19-21 could be a very significant winter storm event for Ireland and the U.K. Watch for this to emerge on reliable time frames of models as we get into mid-month. Various sketchy solutions will come and go before then, the models tend to be less accurate than my research indices at day 7-8 on average, and I blend the consensus of reliable models with the research output for my own 1-2 week outlooks.

I've seen some cases where the GFS is totally wrong on large-scale patterns past day 7 and sometimes by day 16 (the end of its run) what is depicted is not even close to a verifying pattern even if you shift it around considerably. My explanation for that is fairly complicated, but the short version is that energy cycles in the atmosphere have typical life spans of 7-10 days, while large-scale features can also change considerably in that time. Therefore trying to blend short-range computer forecasting methods, no matter how fine the grid for initial time may be, is a hopeless way to construct a 10-20 day model (let alone anything much further out).

Let's just put it this way -- one of the more significant weather events of the winter is likely to take place around 20-21 Dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

There was an interview with John Hammond (one the weather forecasters on the BBC) on the BBC News channel. He said there was no indication whatsoever of a return to an Atlantic westerly regime and even hinted at current conditions (blocking anti-cyclone setup) lasting into the new year!

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    There was an interview with John Hammond (one the weather forecasters on the BBC) on the BBC News channel. He said there was no indication whatsoever of a return to an Atlantic westerly regime and even hinted at current conditions (blocking anti-cyclone setup) lasting into the new year!

Here is the link for that http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11913530

Mayo Exile wrote: »

Have you got a link?

• Advertisement

oooops sorry just posted it now

Advertisement