Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble's brewing for Spy

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I see. Spy must be an interesting place so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

"You wonder if those people human". That's got nothing to do with fads, or being cool, that's just you not liking them for being different. I brought up bloggers and gay people because a lot of the people you're talking about are bloggers and gay people.

so by throwing on a pair of drainpipe jeans, converse runners and a checkered shirt unbuttoned over a ripped vest, I suddenly qualify as different? Ah, good ole counterculturalism :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Can humans be that fake and plastic?

go to pubs in D4 and Blackrock and the likes and you'll see many of them!!

I'vee never been in this club an tbh ive heard nothing but bad reports about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

jtsuited wrote: »
    huh?

Am I not allowed to have problems with fashion designers and photographers now?

This is the only response that I respect to be honest. If you have a problem that's fine, but it's better to admit it than just give off snide remarks and say you don't have a problem.

Was up late studying for exams last night - half procrastinating on boards - hence the garbled unnecessary arguments. Don't really know what I was on about.

None of the ColourTV lads are on here are they? They deal with Spy a good bit, maybe they'd have some inside information. I've yet to talk to the guys from last night yet to find out what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i'll ask one of the colortv lads if you want. don't think they're on here.

tbh, i'm very confused about all this. i have a feeling i know what happened though.

look, if you're a promoter and the venue are not giving you the money that was agreed upon, the venue are in breach of contract. no need for protests or facebook campaigns etc.

however, if there was no legal agreement between the venue and the promoters, the promoters are gonna have to suck it up, and take it as a lesson that in this business, you need to have things on paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

why did being gay suddenly pop up in this argument, are all scensters gay or something

i'll ask one of the colortv lads if you want. don't think they're on here.

tbh, i'm very confused about all this. i have a feeling i know what happened though.

look, if you're a promoter and the venue are not giving you the money that was agreed upon, the venue are in breach of contract. no need for protests or facebook campaigns etc.

however, if there was no legal agreement between the venue and the promoters, the promoters are gonna have to suck it up, and take it as a lesson that in this business, you need to have things on paper.

I'm not sure of the details, hence why I'd like to find out. Some people were talking about staff as well on Twitter, but I don't know how much of that is true. If you've been running a night for years every week in a club, it's not really a lesson to not get paid for no reason all of a sudden. If it was just my mate that didn't get paid it'd be understandable, they've only done one or two so far, but War is more or less an institution in Spy, so it makes no sense to stop paying them.

brianc27 wrote: »
    why did being gay suddenly pop up in this argument

Mainly because I was sleep-deprived tbh.

If you've been running a night for years every week in a club, it's not really a lesson to not get paid for no reason all of a sudden.
    If you've nothing legally agreed it's your own fault tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

I'm partly defending the night because I've played there... I enjoy going there... but I'm mainly defending it because this kind of intolerance to the often gay community of photographers, bloggers...

I'd say about 10% of the crowd is gay and about the same being bi. War is not a gay night - its a night for mainly flamboyant exhibitionists with fake reading glasses and pronounced lisps to prounce around and take B&W or sepia-toned pictures. Fair enough, they're as entitled as anyone else to do so, but don't try and play it off as sexual intolerence.

As MikeHoncho said;
    Why the **** does it matter if some guy is a respected designer, photogropher, raving homosexual or whatever. He can still look and act like a complete toss pot and be called up on it.

And I mean going on about Bloggers? Of course you're going to get attacked. I'm sure there's tonnes of talented poets going into Coppers of an evening, but you don't see me raving on about it.

I don't go there for the same reasons that I don't go to say... Lillie's Bordello or... Tomangoes or Barcode - because the musics going to be bland and thoughtless and the people unfriendly and maintaing pretensions of exclusivity.

The intolerence to the nights Spy has become synonymous with (WAR for example) has a lot to do with the apathy of the staff, ADMISSION AND DRINKS COSTS and complete lack of space, air conditioning or an appropriate soundsystem. Spy is not really a suitable venue for a nightclub - more a multi-storey late bar. Wax would be somewhat like Kennedy's if it wasn't attached to that.

As for C.U.N.T. - which you mentioned - this was a case of copying a good idea which was executed better in England, and turning it into the blandest form of a counter-culture student night. I really really doubt it's going to be around next year - its establishment and success had as much to do with timing as anything else.

If I sound bitter or unenthused about all of this, then fair enough. I just think that a music nightclub should be about... well, the music. I've a problem that the few city centre locations which are willling to entertain non-chart music are occupied by students under the misapprehension that the dancefloor is a catwalk. I mean for gods sake, you say yourself
    How about packing 40 perfectly beatmatched tunes into an 1hr set? For someone who doesn't own decks I think he's doing pretty well.

This is the RESIDENT at C.U.N.T.? God help us all

Anyway, back on topic. Apparently even the staff of Spy aren't getting paid, i.e. barstaff and cleaners etc. I'd love to hear the full story, not just twitter posts from promoters.

Sadly, this is tip of iceberg stuff. There's a few huge promoters and clubs in serious (6 figure) issues as the moment, and one of the bigger ones has taken to ''renting'' its gear over the summer - I can think of at least 5 people on boards who know exactly what I'm on about.
    None of the ColourTV lads are on here are they? They deal with Spy a good bit, maybe they'd have some inside information.

They read it anyway. I think your man Louis might be a member. I'll be chatting to a coupe of the involved parties during the week anyway.

• Advertisement

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Sadly, this is tip of iceberg stuff. There's a few huge promoters and clubs in serious (6 figure) issues as the moment, and one of the bigger ones has taken to ''renting'' its gear over the summer - I can think of at least 5 people on boards who know exactly what I'm on about.

They read it anyway. I think your man Louis might be a member. I'll be chatting to a coupe of the involved parties during the week anyway.

TBH I agree with nearly all of that. As I said, up until what was it, 2/3 last night for a 9am exam this morning, was talking dribble.

I know Louis is on the Erol Alkan forum, so I thought he might be hanging around here too.

I've heard pretty ominous things about some of the huge promoters alright, would be terrible if one of the big 3 had to shut down in the coming years, would loose Ireland a lot of acts.

Who's in charge of Spy? and who are these 'new management' does anyone know? I always got the impression it was an independent thing, but I suppose being Dublin it probably isn't...

I've heard pretty ominous things about some of the huge promoters alright, would be terrible if one of the big 3 had to shut down in the coming years, would loose Ireland a lot of acts.

I'd claim the opposite to be honest. What it would mean is the likes of Zabiella playing a little less frequently, but a more proactive amount of people about rather than lumping everything into the bankholiday weekends. I'd like to see MCD venues and promoters relegated to pop music tbh, they're doing more damage than good.

What we need is someone like the promoters behind Pygmallion on a larger scale. If the venue was bigger it'd be insane. As it is, its got an underpowered sound system and its just too packed.

Then again, some people feel that the remedy is worse than the problem...

zing!!!!

Ha! What's I find strange is that although there were hundreds of tweets all about the cancellation and the protest etc, he hasn't said a thing. I'm still baffled by it all. It's it's a run of the mill company doesn't have any money anymore I'll be disappointed. I'd like it to have a nice story to it.

Yeah, I was half thinking that about the big guns, but for non-dance events I'd definitely miss the big acts coming to town. There's already a lot of small people doing good things, Pygmalion like you said, Bodytonic, the guys in the Good Bits etc, so I'd definitely take them in a pinch, but I wouldn't like to see something like Electric Picnic have to shut down.

so I'd definitely take them in a pinch, but I wouldn't like to see something like Electric Picnic have to shut down.
    Eh???

I'd love to see all the big guns go under tbh. It's a market so there are plenty of people who will take their place.

Eh???

I'd love to see all the big guns go under tbh. It's a market so there are plenty of people who will take their place.

Dance wise I'd love to see them go under, but if the big guys went under there'd be no more Radiohead etc gigs. Are there big enough European/UK companies to move in on Ireland? I'd fcuking love a change from MCD tbh.

...but I wouldn't like to see something like Electric Picnic have to shut down.

What, that once great, now quasi-folk music festival that has alienated its promoters, raised both capacity and price of tickets and is now (61% owned) run by the same crowd that run Oxegen (UK Promoter Festival Republic)?

When people think of the picnic they're generally thinking of the Body and Soul area. From what I gather, B&S management (as lovely a bunch of people as you could meet) are getting fairly sick of being short-thrifted and pushed around. Hence they now have their own festival and a diminished picnic prescence. Could be the straw that broke the camels back...

...and good ****ing riddance. I firmly believe that Neutronyx should stay in the woods in portlaoise and that LIFE and festivals with a completely different ethos like NPLD are about to have their day. 250 for 3 days? LIFE is half that price, is smaller and actually targets the electronic music audience rather than regarding them as a 'problem'.

What, that once great, now quasi-folk music festival that has alienated its promoters, raised both capacity and price of tickets and is now (61% owned) run by the same crowd that run Oxegen (UK Promoter Festival Republic)?

When people think of the picnic they're generally thinking of the Body and Soul area. From what I gather, B&S management (as lovely a bunch of people as you could meet) are getting fairly sick of being short-thrifted and pushed around. Hence they now have their own festival and a diminished picnic prescence. Could be the straw that broke the camels back...

...and good ****ing riddance. I firmly believe that Neutronyx should stay in the woods in portlaoise and that LIFE and festivals with a completely different ethos like NPLD are about to have their day. 250 for 3 days? LIFE is half that price, is smaller and actually targets the electronic music audience rather than regarding them as a 'problem'.

Well for one I don't want it to go under because then I'd be down one gig for the summer! I'm not talking about dance here. Of course I agree that dance shouldn't be run by big money-loving promoters, it should be done by people that love it, but for the general music scene in Ireland, big promotions companies are essential. I'd prefer if the ones we have were replaced by better foreign ones, but to get rid of them completely would stop people seeing a lot of their favourite artists.

but for the general music scene in Ireland, big promotions companies are essential.

how?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

oooh,grimey i think youve got it a bit wrong.

lets set it straight,theres absolutely no reason why any joe soap out there cant bookmost dj's for there gigs.

djs want to play out,they earn there living from it and the sort of acts that interest dance music followers(ie somewhat underground) will basically take a booking if the promoter has a suitable venue.

its not hard to book acts its just being able to cover your costs at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

how?

Who else is going to be able to afford to get the likes of Radiohead, U2, Lady Gaga etc into Ireland? Smaller companies just can't afford it, so you need the giants like MCD. For dance it's completely different, because even small groups can get really big DJs in, but for mainstream promotion the small groups just can't afford it.

seannash wrote: »
    lets set it straight,theres absolutely no reason why any joe soap out there cant bookmost dj's for there gigs.

But the big ones are attached to a single promoter - as in if they've been brought over for a previous gig, they would have signed an exclusivity clause so as to gig in Dublin again. Not to mention the fact that promoters and venues are in some case irreperably entwined.

Who else is going to be able to afford to get the likes of Radiohead, U2, Lady Gaga etc into Ireland? Smaller companies just can't afford it, so you need the giants like MCD. For dance it's completely different, because even small groups can get really big DJs in, but for mainstream promotion the small groups just can't afford it.

Bands like that don't do single gigs, they tour. If they're touring England they're generally doing Cork-Dublin-Belfast. And they just LOVE gigging in Ireland - we've the highest concert ticket prices in the Eurozone.

More to the point, you're finding a problem within a solution. Our issue here is not that the poor, misunderstood top 10 chart acts are going to suffer. Our issue here is that we're inundated with a plethora of gigs such as Bloody Beetroots @ 30 euro and Deadmau5/BoysNoize/GirlTalk @ like 40 euro inside completely unsuitable venues with inadequate soundsystems like Olympia.

If the oligopoly (because thats what they are - they don't really do promotions per se) were to fall, the big fish would be able to look after themselves.

Bands like that don't do single gigs, they tour. If they're touring England they're generally doing Cork-Dublin-Belfast. And they just LOVE gigging in Ireland - we've the highest concert ticket prices in the Eurozone.

More to the point, you're finding a problem within a solution. Our issue here is not that the poor, misunderstood top 10 chart acts are going to suffer. Our issue here is that we're inundated with a plethora of gigs such as Bloody Beetroots @ 30 euro and Deadmau5/BoysNoize/GirlTalk @ like 40 euro inside completely unsuitable venues with inadequate soundsystems like Olympia.

If the oligopoly (because thats what they are - they don't really do promotions per se) were to fall, the big fish would be able to look after themselves.

I don't mean the acts will suffer, I mean Joe Soap will suffer because he won't get to see his favourite band. A small promotions company wouldn't be able to afford to put on a gig in Marley Park.

lol. electrogrimey what planet are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

lol. electrogrimey what planet are you on?
    Planet Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

I'd enjoy to see the big guys fail more the human misery side of things which I get off on.

Where are these pics from VVIP at Spy?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

LOL what a shower.

25621_374505563086_20410398086_3848916_6022368_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

brianc27 wrote: »

Is that Johnny Moy in photo 53? He looks old and wrecked.

Advertisement