Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble's brewing for Spy

Options
  • 07-05-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Just got a text from a friend who's running a night in Spy tonight, and his night and War (which is big night by any standard) are both cancelled in protest of Spy's new management's new policy of not paying any DJs or promoters. They're having a protest outside tonight.

I'd heard a lot about the management of Spy not being the best to work with, but that's taking the piss.

*I'll take out the name of the club if the mods want.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Don't think the name of the club should be taken down, its not libelous to state something that is true, if that is the case.

Best of luck to the lads protesting outside. Its not easy and usualy thankless but hopefully they deter people from going in tonight and send a strong message to the management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I went to spy a few times back about two years ago. They refused to give out tap water and charged €3 for bottles of water. Im going to go and say whoever the manager is (if he's still there) is a hungry bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

horrible kip of a place, the management dont give a fvck about the place, wax is falling apart, i was in there 1 night and the place was packed and they had 1 fvcking bar man on, i hope the place goes under

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

brianc27 wrote: »
    horrible kip of a place, the management dont give a fvck about the place, wax is falling apart, i was in there 1 night and the place was packed and they had 1 fvcking bar man on, i hope the place goes under

I don't hope it goes under, I just hope the people that are giving it the treatment it's getting leave. It could be great if there were some people who cared in charge. It's got a bit of a reputation as a decent place because of all the good DJs they've had in, but recently it's gotten terrible.

just looking at pics from that south william street vvip party, scenster heaven, are these the types protesting out side right now?

• Advertisement

just looking at pics from that south william street vvip party, scenster heaven, are these the types protesting out side right now?

That night was particularly bad, because only the hippest kids were invited. Tonight it's more like people like Philth, who dropped by after supporting Deadmau5, and other DJs and promoters.

that vvip yoke made me cringe something horrid! You wonder are those people human

that vvip yoke made me cringe something horrid! You wonder are those people human

What makes you wonder that?

Can humans be that fake and plastic?

Oh, so you know them quite well to know they have fake personalities yeah? There's a few tosser looking types, but a lot of them are lovely people, and a few are good friends of mine.

• Advertisement

state of them in fairness, i wont judge on anything but their style, but jesus tell your mates to sort it out

I just look upon people who put more effort into their looks and appearance as being superficial overall. Just look at that C.U.N.T. night in Crawdaddy. Have a gander through the photos and youll understand what im on about. I went to it one night and felt like I was at a fashion event. Im into music and generally hate fashion and everything that goes with it. But I guess every type of music will always have its fair amount of 'fad' followers, even moreso with the underground genres - its cool you see, and socially deviant

state of them in fairness, i wont judge on anything but their style, but jesus tell your mates to sort it out

It's fair enough to say my mates wouldn't be the ones with the stupidly flamboyant clothes, skinny jeans and a fringe would be about the most, but I still don't see any reason to insult or disrespect people who do dress like that.

C.U.N.T is run by a Fashion student in NCAD, who's also a pretty respected designer, and a photographer/blogger also in NCAD, so it's not really unusual for it to get that crowd. It's still one of the most popular nights in Dublin, and the two of them are also great DJs, even if they don't only play dance. They can mix pop and hip-hop better than 90% of club DJs in Dublin.

I don't see why it has to be a 'fad' to go to a popular night with good DJs and cheap drink.

They can mix pop and hip-hop better than 90% of club DJs in Dublin.

I wasnt impressed with the DJing in the slighest, although one of the DJs was playing good stuff before the crowd got big - which is always the case. And comparing them to 'club dj's' in dublin - that means nothing.

I dont think mixing blondie into the beastie boys is a mean feat to be honest. Although ive only been there twice, its not a place you'd go and be dying to ask the DJ what tunes he is playing, simply because its stuff that's been around a while.

Also, lady gaga was played there when I was there.

I wasnt impressed with the DJing in the slighest, although one of the DJs was playing good stuff before the crowd got big - which is always the case. And comparing them to 'club dj's' in dublin - that means nothing.

I dont think mixing blondie into the beastie boys is a mean feat to be honest. Although ive only been there twice, its not a place you'd go and be dying to ask the DJ what tunes he is playing, simply because its stuff that's been around a while.

Also, lady gaga was played there when I was there.

How about packing 40 perfectly beatmatched tunes into an 1hr set? For someone who doesn't own decks I think he's doing pretty well.

I get it, you don't like pop music, or general mainstream music. They want a crowd, so they play crowd pleasing music. At least they play the better end of it, like Blondie and the Beastie Boys, not JLS and Justin Bieber like the rest of the clubs in Dublin.

I get it, you don't like pop music, or general mainstream music. They want a crowd, so they play crowd pleasing music. At least they play the better end of it, like Blondie and the Beastie Boys, not JLS and Justin Bieber like the rest of the clubs in Dublin.

I do like quite a bit of pop music from time to time and have no problem going to the likes of D2 or Diceys every now and then (i dont head out much anyways) but what I have a problem with is that they claim to be all 'indie' and put on this hip facade. As you've stated, they play crowd pleasing music, just like all the other clubs, but at least the other clubs dont claim to be alternative - in other words, there's no bull**** to them.

I do like quite a bit of pop music from time to time and have no problem going to the likes of D2 or Diceys every now and then (i dont head out much anyways) but what I have a problem with is that they claim to be all 'indie' and put on this hip facade. As you've stated, they play crowd pleasing music, just like all the other clubs, but at least the other clubs dont claim to be alternative - in other words, there's no bull**** to them.

They market themselves as playing pop, indie and hip-hop. That's what they play. All the 'indie' kids go to it, as you have been giving out about. So, a night that plays indie which indie kids go to isn't allowed advertise itself as being indie?

I'm partly defending the night because I've played there, and look forward to playing again, partly because I enjoy going there, but I'm mainly defending it because this kind of intolerance to the often gay community of photographers, bloggers, DJs, designers etc really annoys me, because it's completely unfounded. If someone came on talking about 21s or whatever, I'd free admit that the DJs are usually terrible, which is a fact, but I wouldn't start giving out about the people that go, even though they aren't a type I'd like to associate with.

Anyway, back on topic. Apparently even the staff of Spy aren't getting paid, i.e. barstaff and cleaners etc. I'd love to hear the full story, not just twitter posts from promoters.

I'm mainly defending it because this kind of intolerance to the often gay community of photographers, bloggers, DJs, designers etc really annoys me, because it's completely unfounded.

What are you on about?

What are you on about?
    I guess every type of music will always have its fair amount of 'fad' followers, even moreso with the underground genres - its cool you see, and socially deviant

No intolerance there no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

my 2 cents-they need air conditioning!

was at boys noize in spy a good while back and nearly passed out from the heat in there.

• Advertisement

df1985 wrote: »
    my 2 cents-they need air conditioning!

was at boys noize in spy a good while back and nearly passed out from the heat in there.

Definitely. Was at that gig, and most of the other international DJ gigs, and they were all like that. I assume it's something to do with a listed building or something not allowing them putting in air conditioning. That's the major downside of it as a club.

No intolerance there no?
    Intolerant? Its funny how you replied to my post about the bull**** aspect of these sort of clubnights by labelling me as being intolerant.

If I came on here saying something along the lines of 'if hitler came back to life they should be first on his list', then that would be intolerance of the highest order. However, by just pointing to how cool some people on this planet try to be, that doesnt make me intolerant. Im talking about the whole 'fad' aspect here, remember? Given that I stated that genres will always have their fad element, I once again fail to see how this is intolerant - Am I not pointing out reality? There's genuine music lovers and people who are there just because its cool.

And finally, why is it that you brought up bloggers and gay people and the like? What had that got to do with anything I was saying? Or are you just trying to change the subject.

Mr.S wrote: »
    +1 the main room gets turned into a sauna.

Will be a shame if Spy/war stop being popular, its a good spot to be fair.
    Is the soundsystem downstairs still piercingly loud? Your ears would be ringing for quite a while after going there.

Intolerant? Its funny how you replied to my post about the bull**** aspect of these sort of clubnights by labelling me as being intolerant.

If I came on here saying something along the lines of 'if hitler came back to life they should be first on his list', then that would be intolerance of the highest order. However, by just pointing to how cool some people on this planet try to be, that doesnt make me intolerant. Im talking about the whole 'fad' aspect here, remember? Given that I stated that genres will always have their fad element, I once again fail to see how this is intolerant - Am I not pointing out reality? There's genuine music lovers and people who are there just because its cool.

And finally, why is it that you brought up bloggers and gay people and the like? What had that got to do with anything I was saying? Or are you just trying to change the subject.

"You wonder if those people human". That's got nothing to do with fads, or being cool, that's just you not liking them for being different. I brought up bloggers and gay people because a lot of the people you're talking about are bloggers and gay people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

"You wonder if those people human". That's got nothing to do with fads, or being cool, that's just you not liking them for being different. I brought up bloggers and gay people because a lot of the people you're talking about are bloggers and gay people.

No you brought up gay people so that anyone who argued the toss with you looked like a homophobe. Get a grip mate. People dont like scenesters. Deal with it. When you put yourself out there you are liable to criticism. Why the **** does it matter if some guy is a respected designer, photogropher, raving homosexual or whatever. He can still look and act like a complete toss pot and be called up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

but I'm mainly defending it because this kind of intolerance to the often gay community of photographers, bloggers, DJs, designers etc.

huh?

Am I not allowed to have problems with fashion designers and photographers now?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

So are these scenesters the lot that hang out around Central Bank?

Or the horrendous 80s look?

abba-costumes.jpg

This was an especially good image from the 80s that I tend to go for these days... I'm the guy in the middle pointing.

scen.jpg

I've heard of gays and photographers but what are bloggers?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I've heard of gays and photographers but what are bloggers?!

guys who this kind of stuff on a regular basis i think......

FAT%20VENOM.jpg

Advertisement