Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3b - Physical Competence Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

horse1 wrote: »
    ya. they all seemed to be failing on the push n pull machine. i think they get to retry the physical in a few weeks. not sure though

for the push-pull would it be the same as benching 25kg for 20 secs or what would be similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

shakin wrote: »
    for the push-pull would it be the same as benching 25kg for 20 secs or what would be similar?

be easier than that if small can see why some people would struggle alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

shakin wrote: »

No it wouldn't because when you are benching you are using your chest, shoulders, triceps and biceps.. with the push-pull machine you are using those muscles AND your upper back. Also to stabilise yourself, your using your lower body. I've never done the PCT but looking at the vids that is what I see! Just do some heavy weights workouts, total body workouts! There's plenty about!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Rowing machine can be good too but you need all over strength of sorts.

The key though is technique ... when pulling back you need to drop down and pull it into you and when pushing you are pushing kind of upwards.

Worked for me anyway and that is how you are shown on on the day - everyone is different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

Hi guys this may seem like a stupid quesion considering that there probably wont be a recruitment drive in the near future, but is there any word on an open day. Its just Id love 2 get a look at the push/pull machine and the actual layout of the PCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mbeire

bettyboo1 wrote: »
    Hi guys this may seem like a stupid quesion considering that there probably wont be a recruitment drive in the near future, but is there any word on an open day. Its just Id love 2 get a look at the push/pull machine and the actual layout of the PCT.

you dont get a good look at the push pull machine on the open days. :confused:

i'll save you the trip down to Templemore and show you a video of the same Push pull machine which is used West-Midland Police. :cool::cool:

i dont know how to edit the video, so its only revelent for the last 47 seconds. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JOT

Hey all. Quick post to say had the pct this morning, Passed, absolutely delighted, and fair play to everyone that was down there this morning. Dont think anyone failed. Fingers crossed now that this embargo gets lifted and we get the all important call asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭michealc_87

Well done to everyone that passed their PCT today. Just wondering what batch's were down there???

Hey michealc_87,
    can only speak for myself for definate but i was may batch 1. Think some of the people there were may batch 1 too. How far along the process are you?

• Advertisement

Well congrats anyway im sure you have been waiting long enough to get to this stage. Im in May batch 4(ive never seen anyone else on this saying they were in this batch so im a bit worried), I done my interview in Nov last year and havent heard a thing since. Do you think you will get in this year,especially with all the pressure from the GRA??

I hope so. Unfortunately thats all any of us can do at this stage.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

JOT wrote: »
    I hope so. Unfortunately thats all any of us can do at this stage.:(

How come they are still running PCTs if there will not be any more intakes til 2011?? I presume they will just hold onto this group of people rather than running a new recruitment campaign.. hhmm! just thinking out loud there :eek::eek:

jake59 wrote: »
    How come they are still running PCTs if there will not be any more intakes til 2011?? I presume they will just hold onto this group of people rather than running a new recruitment campaign.. hhmm! just thinking out loud there :eek::eek:

Thats what im hoping for anyway. Id say they will keep us on the waiting list so that if they do want another intake they will have people ready an waiting to go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

Hey guys (well question for the ladies ), that have done med, whats the story with weight and bmi ??? Just rough idea pls :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

rugby wrote: »
    Hey guys (well question for the ladies ), that have done med, whats the story with weight and bmi ??? Just rough idea pls :D

I think BMI is the same for guys and girls, could be wrong tho. Must be under 30.

Basically takes your height and weight into account.

You can do one yourself, type it into google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

I think BMI is the same for guys and girls, could be wrong tho. Must be under 30.

Ta for that figured thats what it was... did u start yesterday ???

Just under 30? Or proportionate to your height?

eroo wrote: »
    Just under 30? Or proportionate to your height?

It takes into account your height and weight. Must be under 30. Average is 24-25

It takes into account your height and weight. Must be under 30. Average is 24-25

I know what it takes into account.. but when you say under 30.. what if you show as being overweight for your height but are well under 30? This is isn't the case with me.. just curious!:)

• Advertisement

eroo wrote: »
    I know what it takes into account.. but when you say under 30.. what if you show as being overweight for your height but are well under 30? This is isn't the case with me.. just curious!:)

Again it takes into account your height and weight :rolleyes:

If you are overweight for your height, doesn't matter if you are 5 foot 2 or 6 foot 2 your BMI will be in the range of 27 - 30 odd

Basically you can't be overweight for your height and be WELL under 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

hi lads, ive my pct tommorow morning, i passed my medical in sept. just reading a previous post that said they take height and weight again tommorw, i lost weight for the medical and prob hav put it all back on, will they fail me tommorw if my bmi is over 30 or does it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

The day i did my medical i barely passed on the BMI. But one of the lads on the same day was well over on BMI and could not understand how he passed. I would say that you would be fine as this is a test on your ability to round a course in a set down time, and push and pull to a certain level. Even though they take weight and height, i'd say it is just for their own records in Templemore. PCT is no problem. Best of luck and let us know tomorrow how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 E.M.J.M

im doing my pct tommorow too, when are they calling people down if you pass the pct tomorrow or anybody know?

Some of us have the Med & PCT done since April for the Regulars. Are ye for regulars or reserves ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 E.M.J.M

im in for the regular.. i done my medical in september.. so there is a fair waiting list so? how did you find the pct?

PCT is absolutely no problem. If you have any level of fitness at all you will pass. Your through the worst now. Well, apart from the wait. Try and get as much info as ye can from the guys there and report back to the rest of us tomorrow evening. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 westcork11

hey hav my p.c.t aswell in d morning play a good bit of soccer and football,so ya reckon a fairly standard level of fitness should pass it ya??also how long will we be there roughly??thanks and good luck ta any1 else doin it tmoro,c ye there......

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

When I did mine in October I was finished in an hour it all depends where they put you on the list. Its fairly easy the worst part is how dry your throat gets after doing it make sure you have a bottle of water in your gearbag. For the push pull concentrate on the beeps and your sorted. Best of luck to everyone doing it tomorrow let us know how ye get on and if ye can get any info on an intake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

westcork11 wrote: »
    hey hav my p.c.t aswell in d morning play a good bit of soccer and football,so ya reckon a fairly standard level of fitness should pass it ya??also how long will we be there roughly??thanks and good luck ta any1 else doin it tmoro,c ye there......

you'll be down there for roughly hour..standard level even below average level of fitness you could pass its that easy..all the best hopefully you might here something down there about possible intake all the best..if you were watchin prime time investigates tonight...good motivation to become garda

Advertisement