Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

basherzz wrote: »
    Thanks anyways. I've tried the NRA, my local TD's tried the NRA & the Solicitors. Even the local Senator in Listowel tried Pierse & Fitzgibbon on my behalf. So let that be a lesson - they'll get your money somehow. Doesn't matter who you know or don't know. May as well just pay the money & be done with it.:(
    Ah jesus no, has to be a better way than getting bullied into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Moliform

I have to pay a 152.00 payment for a 3 euro penalty which I actually tried to pay but the system wouldn't allow me to. I contacted them by email because I didn't want to give over any more money by phoning them. The fine is from April, they got back to me in June with another automated letter (no email reply) stating there is no record of payment and thus the fine owing is now 41.50. I contacted them again saying I tried to pay (and did pay the original 3euro toll of which I have a record on my AIB statements), I also said I still wanted to pay the fine but as I was in contact with them within the original 14 day period surely I should only owe the original fine. No contact as of yet but now I have a letter from the solicitors. I contacted the solicitors and they say I should of rang eflow as its eflow policy to only sort these things out by phone and so the fine stands-now 152.00. I told them in their penalty notice it mentions the original fee is still owing but that I have a record on my aib of paying this. They say eflow used this payment to pay a subsequent passage in May and so I still owe everything!

How can they use a previous payment to pay a subsequent bill and not inform me of this? I contacted eflow to get a breakdown of passages and corresponding payments-they said they do not have this information-is this true? Has anyone been to court or should I just suck it up and pay the fine? I just feel by paying its allowing them to continue with this dodgy way of doing things but by going to court I'm potentially giving those solicitors down in Kerry more income from their plum number with eflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Moliform wrote: »
    ....... I contacted eflow to get a breakdown of passages.........

Plenty of passages working for e-flow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I can't help wondering what would be the effect of putting before a judge even only the many posts that have been created in this thread.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I gotta email back from e-flow two weeks back. They're sending me a refund
    of the €3 they tried to 'take' from me some months ago.

As yet no refund has arrived. Has anyone else been promised a refund
    and never recieved it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 goosey gander

Hi really in a dilemma here
    Used the toll bridge twice and paid at four o clock next day,thought all fine exept twelve days later got a fine for both passages!!! i was away on hols at time(only to galway to stay with friends mind you!!!!) My mam opened the letter but she had no way of knowing where the reciept was so i rang customer care and explained i couldn get the reciept within the 14 days to which i was told without the reciept the fine will go up to 41.50... and to make matters worse i now cant find the reciept!!!! what the hell am i going to do???? i cant afford to pay 80 euro im a single mum and a student im barely coping financially as it is!!!! Any help would be greatly appriciated!!!

Used the toll bridge twice and paid at four o clock next day,thought all fine exept twelve days later got a fine for both passages!!! i was away on hols at time(only to galway to stay with friends mind you!!!!) My mam opened the letter but she had no way of knowing where the reciept was so i rang customer care and explained i couldn get the reciept within the 14 days to which i was told without the reciept the fine will go up to 41.50... and to make matters worse i now cant find the reciept!!!! what the hell am i going to do???? i cant afford to pay 80 euro im a single mum and a student im barely coping financially as it is!!!! Any help would be greatly appriciated!!!
    Tell them where you bought it and when. Not your fault if they lost the payment.

Theyre claiming that without the reciept they cant trace the payment!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 basherzz

If you paid, you paid. I don't know the procedure but if you have to key in your reg no when paying, then they should surely be able to trace the payment that way. Reading through other posts, sometimes they won't apply that payment to the particular trip but that's just wrong. Your best bet if eflow are acting stupid is to email info@nra.ie. I got great help from a girl there (she wasn't able to help me in the long run - that's a whole nother story) but the impression I got was that they do what they can for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 basherzz

I have to pay a 152.00 payment for a 3 euro penalty which I actually tried to pay but the system wouldn't allow me to. I contacted them by email because I didn't want to give over any more money by phoning them. The fine is from April, they got back to me in June with another automated letter (no email reply) stating there is no record of payment and thus the fine owing is now 41.50. I contacted them again saying I tried to pay (and did pay the original 3euro toll of which I have a record on my AIB statements), I also said I still wanted to pay the fine but as I was in contact with them within the original 14 day period surely I should only owe the original fine. No contact as of yet but now I have a letter from the solicitors. I contacted the solicitors and they say I should of rang eflow as its eflow policy to only sort these things out by phone and so the fine stands-now 152.00. I told them in their penalty notice it mentions the original fee is still owing but that I have a record on my aib of paying this. They say eflow used this payment to pay a subsequent passage in May and so I still owe everything!

How can they use a previous payment to pay a subsequent bill and not inform me of this? I contacted eflow to get a breakdown of passages and corresponding payments-they said they do not have this information-is this true? Has anyone been to court or should I just suck it up and pay the fine? I just feel by paying its allowing them to continue with this dodgy way of doing things but by going to court I'm potentially giving those solicitors down in Kerry more income from their plum number with eflow.

You have paid and you have the proof. Get straight onto the NRA info@nra.ie. Once it goes to those apes in Listowel, eflow just won't deal with you. I've just lost a 4 month battle with the gangster solicitors. The NRA own eflow so start on at them as fast as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Eflow would be a good subject for a documentary about poorly run businesses. Anyone making it yet!!!

I reckon Eflow would be top of the list, I have never dealt with such an incompetent company.
    I am only still with them since they are the only ones to offer post payment by direct debit.
    If any of the other companies out there offered the same I would switch instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

That eflow system is the biggest joke.

I went through the barrier twice on the 11th Aug 2009, I logged into the eflow website and made a payment of €6 on the 12th (all shud be fine).

But no I get a letter in the post few days later saying I owed the original toll plus and extra fine of €3 each way, so €12 in total.

I rang up and it transpires that the account I logged in as had my old car registered on it, forgot to register new car (bought new car recently). They said they couldnt transfer over the payment. They can see from reg that I would not have been using old on the 11th, and that the payment was made in good faith.

Anyway rang back a few mins later and talked to different, explained situation and and she just said ah thats fine, Ive regsitered the new reg and transferred the payment over and all is fine !!!

Just glad I dont have to use the barrier much, what a shambles tho. Its just another rip of Ireland money making scheme, make it as stupid and awkward as possible to trick people out of money !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 simples

I contacted eflow to get a breakdown of passages and corresponding payments-they said they do not have this information-is this true?

Blatant lies. Under your reg they will have dates and times of each journey made, and also a history of payments made. They don't seem to give this out very easily though, when I was there I requested this information for many customers but was advised that although the request would be sent to eFlow, it would be unlikely the customer would receive it.

The same went for receipts, if you paid over the phone and wanted a receipt it would be unlikely for you to get one even though we requested these many times.

sounds to me like you may have paid against an incorrect registration? the receipt is key for you, maybe you could check with the store you paid in if they can help you out? i'm assuming you paid in cash? if not then if you could prove through bank statements it could help.

simples wrote: »
    sounds to me like you may have paid against an incorrect registration? the receipt is key for you, maybe you could check with the store you paid in if they can help you out? i'm assuming you paid in cash? if not then if you could prove through bank statements it could help.

Tried the shop and they say that they dont keep records of the regs only the number of payments they recieve! I even know the exact time and date i paid! Do they record all calls that are made to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

im too angry to even type how much i want to kill everyone at eflow.. i will calm down for a few days and come back to this thread, they are trying to screwwwww me at the moment!! just remember yer old pal heathen when you read about the "accidental demolition" of the bridge!! lol

Tried the shop and they say that they dont keep records of the regs only the number of payments they recieve! I even know the exact time and date i paid! Do they record all calls that are made to them?

Yup, at least they should be recording all their calls. Did the guys at eFlow try alternate digits on the plate? Like the letter 'o' instead of the number '0' or similar sounding letters? I used to give that a go, sometimes it helped to play around with it a bit to see what I could find.. it's good that you know the time and date you paid cos that gives them a reference if they find an alternate reg to see if any payments were made that match yours. Did you pay by cash or card?

thank you ill ring them i have a feling the girl typed in lm insted of mn so i might try that thanks

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Eflow would be a good subject for a documentary about poorly run businesses. Anyone making it yet!!!
    You know what, RTE Primetime should do this, might not be any harm if they were prompted ! A little email into one of their researchers might not be a bad thing.......

Theres enough material on this thread for them to do a 3 hour special!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

Hi all, quick query here. I received a letter by registered post this morning from the Pierse & Fitzgibbon Solicitors requesting that I pay over €2000 in toll fines from M50 journeys between january & march. Now this is the first letter I have received from them and they want the amount to be paid within 10 days????? :confused:

I have no problem paying the €3 amounts for each journey as it is very well possible that I didn't pay them seeing as I travel through the toll at least 10 times a week, so some may have slipped through.

But there is no way in hell I am paying €2000 to these robbing bastards.

Have any of these cases gone to court yet? I'm not sure whether to ignore the letter or return the "Intention to Defend" docket and go to court on the date stated to plead my case?

Thanks for the advice :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Rozbeef wrote: »
    Hi all, quick query here. I received a letter by registered post this morning from the Pierse & Fitzgibbon Solicitors requesting that I pay over €2000 in toll fines from M50 journeys between january & march. Now this is the first letter I have received from them and they want the amount to be paid within 10 days????? :confused:

Did you receive any letters from eFlow? You should have got at least three letters from them by now: one saying that you owe €6 per trip (3 + 3), another one for €47.50 (3 + 3 + 41.5) and a final demand for €152 (3 + 3 + 41.50 + 104.50).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

markpb wrote: »
    Did you receive any letters from eFlow? You should have got at least three letters from them by now: one saying that you owe €6 per trip (3 + 3), another one for €47.50 (3 + 3 + 41.5) and a final demand for €152 (3 + 3 + 41.50 + 104.50).

Never received any letters from eflow when I had that car. I now have a new car and I've received reminder letters from them and have payed the subsequent tolls. Will that make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Rozbeef wrote: »
    Never received any letters from eflow when I had that car. I now have a new car and I've received reminder letters from them and have payed the subsequent tolls. Will that make any difference?

It's worth a try - I'd be surprised if they could levy fines without notifying you. They specify the fines on this page under Penalties at the bottom. Try ringing eFlow and see what they say.

Also, if you're using it 10 times a week, wouldn't it be worth your while to buy a tag from someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I got a court summons from those solicitors in kerry today demanding €981.34

€912 in unpaid tolls x 5 .. the rest (€76) is for "costs"

This refers to 5 unpaid journeys I took in April 09.

I probably did make those journeys - I can't be sure as I use the toll bridge irregularily - I might use it 7-8 times in a 2 week period and then not use it for 4-5 weeks.

I only bought the vechicle in question in late March and there was an issue which meant the previous owner of the vechicle been sent the intial reminder/fine letters.

Long story short in June I logged onto the eflow website, entered one of STR notice number and paid whatever fines were outstanding at that time, some where for €6 and some where for €54 or whatever I can't remember the details but as far as I was concerened I had cleared my eflow account.

So whats my next move... had over the cash or fight this eflow mob in court.

I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What is the exact wording of their claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

i also got the summons this morning lookin for 1300 of me very annoyed i too woulh have no mproblem paying original €3 now i was looking through the detail of there summons and i have actually paid some of the trips they claim i havent but i got reciepts so i can sort that on monday!!! grrrrr!!!!

Bond-007 wrote: »
    What is the exact wording of their claim?

The 1st page is a standard cover letter, and the back of it list the 3 payment methods to pay the fine to the solicitors.

1) Online via www.pierfitz.ie/payment
    2) telephone payment 0813 ......
    3) Cheque made payable too

The 3rd page is titled "civil summons" FOR A DEBT OT LIQUIDATED MONEY DEMAND

Me Vs NRA

The plantiffs claim is to recover against you the defendant the sum of €xxx.xx

Amount due xxxx
    Cost xxxx
    Total xxxx

4th Page is title "Indorsement of claim"

..followed by a paragraph regarding section 64 of the roads Act blah blah blah.

.. followed by the particulars of the toll in question.

Page 5 gives me 4 options
    a) If I dispute the claim I must complete 2 Notices of the Intention to Defend

b) Pay the claim & costs

c) Admit the claim and arrange time to make the payments

d) If I do not act in accordance with a b or c ... then the NRA will see you in court!

Page 6 is the address page

browner85 wrote: »
    i also got the summons this morning lookin for 1300 of me very annoyed i too woulh have no mproblem paying original €3 now i was looking through the detail of there summons and i have actually paid some of the trips they claim i havent but i got reciepts so i can sort that on monday!!! grrrrr!!!!

I'll meet you in the district court house canteen for a coffee beforehand! ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I posted some grave legal weaknesses in their system in this thread in June .

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I posted some grave legal weaknesses in their system in this thread in June .
    I had a look through the thread and this is the one you posted, fair play, I think you have hgihlighted some fair points. It would be my honest opinion that if one case was properly contested by a decent solicitor then the case would be thrown out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60742855&postcount=1371

Any barristers / solicitors on here willing to take the above posters cases on pro-bono :confused::)

Some interesting points also raised here by Bond...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60740374&postcount=1368

My own tuppence worth, where exactly does it say on the M50 that they will try and nail you for up to €150 if you dont pay the toll? You can't assume compliance for all road users just because thats the system they have in place. I'd say theres literally hundreds of people that use it on a daily basis who have no clue about this. How can a road user make a reasonable decision without the facts?

I would LOVE to see Prime Time blow this sham apart, its plainly not fit for purpose.

Advertisement