Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

bladebrew wrote: »
    they send a letter to you,its €3 for the toll +€3 fine if its within 2 weeks (i think) i cant find it on their website now
    they have to scan the barcode on the top of the letter so you can pay it though,

how on earth can they scan the letter...!

i dont think phones are that advanced. :p

like I said, an ass of a system.

besides I am away from my home address, so got no idea on letters. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

You won't need the letter, just call them, give them the car reg and they'll have all the info they need. It's an appalling system but in fairness, the customer service people are decent (in my experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

how on earth can they scan the letter...!

i dont think phones are that advanced. :p

like I said, an ass of a system.

besides I am away from my home address, so got no idea on letters. :confused:

my dad went to a shop to pay my toll (he said he would pay it then forgot so it went to €6) they told him they would send a letter out to me and they had to scan it so i could pay it,i brought the letter to a shop and they scanned a barcode in the top right corner and id paid my €6,
    im not sure can you do this over the phone,

he tried to pay the €6 in a different shop and they said i had to wait for the letter,

tbh I was half expecting a fine of 30e a day......

its a sham of a system for people residing out of leinster who might not have even heard of the m50

im not a farmer or anything, but haven't been using the m50 for years. lol

my dad went to a shop to pay my toll (he said he would pay it then forgot so it went to €6) they told him they would send a letter out to me and they had to scan it so i could pay it,i brought the letter to a shop and they scanned a barcode in the top right corner and id paid my €6,
    im not sure can you do this over the phone,

do they expect everyone to be at home waiting for letters to arrive or something, what a joke of a system.

can you not go into a shop and give in your friggin rego and pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

its a sham of a system for people residing out of leinster who might not have even heard of the m50

im not a farmer or anything, but haven't been using the m50 for years. lol

In fairness, if you miss the signs you shouldn't be driving as you'd have to be legally blind not to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

do they expect everyone to be at home waiting for letters to arrive or something, what a joke of a system.

not according to spar in skerries! my dad went in to pay the €6(€3 toll+€3 fine) and they told they cant until i get the letter!!

You can pay at any Payzone shop around the country http://www.payzone.ie/outlets/ up until 8pm the day after you use the M50, but since you used it last week it's obviously too late now. Just give them a ring, if you leave it too long they'll expect a payment of €43 or something like that

not according to spar in skerries! my dad went in to pay the €6(€3 toll+€3 fine) and they told they cant until i get the letter!!

This is because the eflow system registers the toll as one payment due and the fine as another separate payment due. I guess the machine in the shops isn't capable of handling the fine part (without their barcoded letter). Rubbish system, I know, but would you expect anything better? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

is it hard to avoid the M50 altogether and not pay any toll? what is the best alternative route?

• Advertisement

if you want to add a few hours onto your trip driving onto all manner of jackheen roads its ok to avoid it i guess

if you want to add a few hours onto your trip driving onto all manner of jackheen roads its ok to avoid it i guess

a few hours? surely it isn't that bad, only the toll section i want to avoid

try it and let me know then....

:p

unless you are a taxi driver or have advanced knowledge of the greater Dublin region, you are pretty f*****ed.

unless you are a taxi driver or have advanced knowledge of the greater Dublin region, you are pretty f*****ed.

i'll try it someday when i go to norn iron

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Dankoozy wrote: »
    is it hard to avoid the M50 altogether and not pay any toll? what is the best alternative route?

Easy. Driving from Waterford to Belfast, I avoid both the M50 toll and the M1 toll, by using the N3/N2 and going through Slane.

According to the sat nav, this route takes 4 hours 30 mins.

If I were to use the toll roads, sat nav says it would take 4 hours 15 mins.

I'm happy to lose 15 mins, not give a penny to either toll road, enjoy the scenery of Slane and surrounding areas, all while saving at least a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

These a**holes keep charging me for trips I never make.

I'm trying to view the statement on their website but it just downloads as an ASPX file? I cant see to get the PDF? Anyone else notice this?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

With regard to the train of thought that the full letter of the by-law was not being fulfilled, as I mentioned I contacted Mr. Faughnan of the AA (who was on hols for a while).
    The response back is:
    Dear Mr Bannon –

Thanks for your email. It’s an interesting technical point on the legalities but I suspect that the existing display of the net toll price payable by the user may be sufficient.

I’ll look into it, thanks again...

Conor Faughnan
    Director of Policy
    AA Ireland
    I wonder will he actually look into it?

Elessar wrote: »
    These a**holes keep charging me for trips I never make.

I'm trying to view the statement on their website but it just downloads as an ASPX file? I cant see to get the PDF? Anyone else notice this?

if its trying to make you download a .aspx file they have ****ed up with setting up their web server.

try renaming it to .pdf or having a look inside the file with a text editor

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

you just have to cut through the phoenix park takes 15mins extra

browner85 wrote: »
    you just have to cut through the phoenix park takes 15mins extra

yea and get fined by an overzealous warden for doing 51km/h

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Hi lads,

I have a small nissan kubistar van (same as renault kangoo). I might be starting a job where i will have to pass through the m50 toll twice a day. What is my cheapest option of doing this?
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

newmills wrote: »
    I have a small nissan kubistar van (same as renault kangoo). I might be starting a job where i will have to pass through the m50 toll twice a day. What is my cheapest option of doing this?
    Thanks.
    By not passing through the M50 or by getting a motorbike!
    You could by-pass the M50 toll but we would really need to know whereabout you are going from and to!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

kbannon wrote: »
    You could by-pass the M50 toll but we would really need to know whereabout you are going from and to!
    Pfft :P
    newmills wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Thanks.
    EASY-Remove the front number plate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 basherzz

Sizzler wrote: »
    A guy about 10-12 pages previous in the thread reckoned once this has been tested in the courts it wont stand up. He gave the impression he knew what we was talking about, perhaps he was a solicitor or law student :)

There is one serious flaw about the M50 and trying to levy fines on it though from a drivers perspective, I am loathe to post it though in case they go and rectify it, why should I do their job for them :P

I'm going to be cheeky & ask can you pm me too. I've been fighting Pierse & Fitzgibbon since May and I have until tomorrow to pay up finally or go to court. I wasn't even driving the bloomin car - it was on loan and I was told the toll was paid. Didn't actually find out for sure that the toll wasn't paid till June (car was driven in March).

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

basherzz wrote: »
    I'm going to be cheeky & ask can you pm me too. I've been fighting Pierse & Fitzgibbon since May and I have until tomorrow to pay up finally or go to court. I wasn't even driving the bloomin car - it was on loan and I was told the toll was paid. Didn't actually find out for sure that the toll wasn't paid till June (car was driven in March).

Thanks for your help.
    Sorry but my observations wont help with your case I am afraid. Best bet would be to contest the case on the legaility of the toll, other than that, dont sign for the summons when its delivered! Or write to the NRA / National Consumer Agency / Consumers Assoc of Ireland or even ring Joe Duffy :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

kbannon wrote: »

Going from rathfarnham/terenure to the airport. Could go through town but sometimes the speed (never thought i'd say that about the m50) of the m50 would be great for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 basherzz

Sizzler wrote: »
    Sorry but my observations wont help with your case I am afraid. Best bet would be to contest the case on the legaility of the toll, other than that, dont sign for the summons when its delivered! Or write to the NRA / National Consumer Agency / Consumers Assoc of Ireland or even ring Joe Duffy :eek:

Thanks anyways. I've tried the NRA, my local TD's tried the NRA & the Solicitors. Even the local Senator in Listowel tried Pierse & Fitzgibbon on my behalf. So let that be a lesson - they'll get your money somehow. Doesn't matter who you know or don't know. May as well just pay the money & be done with it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I've received letters relating to two different occassions my pick-up allegedly went through the tollbridge. On neither date has the car been anywhere near the M50. I just rang them once on both occassions telling them they have the wrong car linked to my reg and further ignorine them until they provide full photographic evidence of my pick-up going through. The ANPR technology they use is not flawless, far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

benifa wrote: »
    Easy. Driving from Waterford to Belfast, I avoid both the M50 toll and the M1 toll, by using the N3/N2 and going through Slane.

According to the sat nav, this route takes 4 hours 30 mins.

If I were to use the toll roads, sat nav says it would take 4 hours 15 mins.

I'm happy to lose 15 mins, not give a penny to either toll road, enjoy the scenery of Slane and surrounding areas, all while saving at least a fiver.

If you use the N2 or N3 you'll have to go through the tolls coming from Waterford. You'd take the N4 and cut through Lucan and head to Clonee (N3) if want to avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Scottie99 wrote: »
    If you use the N2 or N3 you'll have to go through the tolls coming from Waterford. You'd take the N4 and cut through Lucan and head to Clonee (N3) if want to avoid them.

Ah, that might have been it. Unfortunately when I'm using the sat nav I find myself engaging in a little Stockholm syndrome, iyswim. Yes, I think you're right. N4 does ring a bell, now you've mentioned it.

Advertisement