Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Doubt thats true, I presume its more a psychological thing, that you are buying said item for LESS than 30 euro (at 29.99) or whatever the price is. It sounds better is all. It does actually work, especially if your buying large items. When I looked at a Telly recently the price was 999.99 and I thought to myself, wow its less than a grand for 50 inche screen. Took a full second to remind myself that there is a cent difference.

Although I could stand corrected? :D

I heard both reason but the psychological seems the most likely.

Although it isn't as bad as saying 'From x.xx' for a product.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Recently, there was a Pound shop in the UK, then a "99p" shop opened across the road. Everyone flocked to the 99p shop...:eek:

That happened in the Elephant and Castle shopping Centre, near me.

So guess what some smart fecker did?

That's right - 98p Shop!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

And most people probably don't take the 1p/2p change anyway or just put it in the poor box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭numanuma

This thread has cost me 4 days of work!

So an uncle of mine was visiting his best man after the wedding. The best mans dog took a bite at the arse of my uncle and ruined his trousers.

My uncle demanded the price of a new suit. Best man claimed it was an accident, we can have it fixed...

Uncle went to small claims court and won!

A friend of 20 odd years gone for some trousers. Now thats stingy IMHO.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    I hate when people get 19.99€ worth of petrol and hand me a 20 and then expect to get their cent back :\ if it was 20.01€ worth of petrol they wouldn't be expecting me to take their penny off them..........

I always just wait for my change out of habit, I wouldn't even think about how much it was. I don't think I'd be considered "tight" by the cashier because of that :confused:

But at the same time, if my petrol comes to €20.01, I automatically hand over the cent (if I have it in my wallet), or if I haven't a cent then the lowest coin/note I have on me. To be fair, they generally don't bother taking it if I don't happen to have the cent or whatever amount exactly, but I'd never presume that I'm not expected to pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

numanuma wrote: »
    This thread has cost me 4 days of work!

So an uncle of mine was visiting his best man after the wedding. The best mans dog took a bite at the arse of my uncle and ruined his trousers.

My uncle demanded the price of a new suit. Best man claimed it was an accident, we can have it fixed...

Uncle went to small claims court and won!

A friend of 20 odd years gone for some trousers. Now thats stingy IMHO.:eek:

I'd call the friend stingy for not offering to replace the trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Lo23

If I ever call over to my mates for a cup of tea she'll make a few of us (3 or 4) share the same teabag! Pretty stingy!

Oh and she NEVER has biscuits!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭numanuma

Red Alert wrote: »
    I'd call the friend stingy for not offering to replace the trousers.

True, I guess deep inside I just really dont like that uncle no matter if he is wrong or right :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Lo23 wrote: »
    If I ever call over to my mates for a cup of tea she'll make a few of us (3 or 4) share the same teabag! Pretty stingy!

Oh and she NEVER has biscuits!! :(

Do you ever bring biscuits over to hers when you go over for a cuppa? Some people don't like to have bikkies in the house cos they'll eat them all, a weight thing (I'm like that, out of sight out of mind. Saying that though, I would buy bikkies if I was expecting people.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Lo23

Do you ever bring biscuits over to hers when you go over for a cuppa? Some people don't like to have bikkies in the house cos they'll eat them all, a weight thing (I'm like that, out of sight out of mind. Saying that though, I would buy bikkies if I was expecting people.)

Yeah fair point but I have actually brought biscuits over a few times and she doesnt OPEN them? WTF? :( I hate when people do that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Lo23 wrote: »
    Yeah fair point but I have actually brought biscuits over a few times and she doesnt OPEN them? WTF? :( I hate when people do that!

Ooh I bet she is saving them to bring over to other people's houses (she IS stingy!). Or else she has horrific issues with food.

PS I'd open them myself! Can't be having tea and a chat with no bikkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

When i was younger I worked for a large Construction Company on their building sites. I met some of the stingiest fcukers you could ever come across. but there was one lad in particular, Liftshaft Frank we called him, or Frank Shaft for short. He was the most coniving, meanest chancer you could have the misfortune of meeting. he would do anything and everything to get out of parting with money. You name it and he has done it. and he was so proud of it as well. he was from limerick but living in fatima mansions in dublin.

he was living with a single mother so the house was provided by the council, obviously he wasnt registered as living there though.

he was anorexic thin and had dirty rotten teeth because he wouldnt spend the money on the dentist and because he worked he wasnt entitled to a medical card.

there was a canteen onsite that you could buy hot dinners and stuff. everyday he would go for lunch a few minutes before the rest of us. so when we got to the canteen he would have already ordered his dinner, but he wouldnt have paid for it. then when we went to order our dinner he would say "oh, you wouldnt mind picking up my dinner, it should be ready now". so you would ask the cook for Frank's dinner and then get stuck paying for it. the cook knew well not to let you leave with Frank's dinner without paying for it because he would never get the money otherwise.

if he heard anyone on the site mention they were going to the shops he would make sure to ask them to get him something, and he would fix them up later :rolleyes:

and anytime you did manage to drag him to the shops you would regret it. while we were deciding what to buy he would go to the counter and buy his few bits and piecess. then he would stand by the door as if he was waiting for us. but then when you got to the counter and you were paying for your stuff he would shout up to you that he had 'forgotten' to get milk, or a chocolate bar, etc and leave you to get it for him. and because he would say it in front of the other people queing and the counter staff, you could hardly say no or you would look like the stingy cnut. every day it was the same. he either caught you going to the shops or caught you in the shops. someone doing that once or twice is fair enough, but this was everyday.

he used to run a Lotto syndicate on the site and he would go around collecting money from everyone. he had about 60 people in this syndicate, but he wasnt buying 60 tickets. you see because it was a big site and not everybody knew each other, nobody actually knew who was in the syndicate or even how many were in it. so he could get away with collecting €2 off everyone and then he would buy about half the tickets he was supposed to and then pocket the rest of the money. the only way he would have been caught out was if we had won the jackpot, and that was never going to happen.

he used to always be one of the first people on the site in the morning and one of the last to leave in the evening. there were 2 reasons for this. one reason was the overtime as he would clock in straight away, and clock out as late as possible. there was no work done during these times so he was getting paid for doing nothing. the other reason was to rob the copper and lead that the contractors had installed the day before. for example the plumbers would spend all day kitting out the apartments with copper piping, then when they had finished for the day Frank would go in and rob all the copper. the guys who did the roof would lay down the lead, and then Frank would go up to the roof and steal the lead. he would stockpile all this stuff and then once a week he would take it home. when he had enough stuff he would bring it to the scrapyard and sell it. the contractors eventually had to start locking the apartments after they were finished working on them to stop him taking stuff.

even loose timber wasnt safe. any loose timber left lying around would be taken and chopped up as firewood. then in the winter he would go around the flats in fatima mansions and sell the firewood. apparently he did this every year.

there was a contractor who provided all the plasterboards and plasterers and because it was a massive site he would need his plasterboards brought to different areas for the plasterers to put up. so he would give Frank a few quid to make sure the labourers got the materials to where they were supposed to be on time. now Frank was supposed to divide this money between the labourers, as a kind of bonus for looking after the plasterers, but none of them even knew he was getting it. it was only one day when the materials werent where they were supposed to be and the plasters couldnt do any work that the contractor came down to the site and started roaring at the labourers about all the good money he gives them and how they had let him down. they had no idea what the contractor was talking about. of course when they approached Frank and asked where their cut of the money was all Frank could say was "What money? ah, sure dont mind your man, he is only saying that to get you doing the work for him, there is no money".

he always had watches and other jewellery for sale. he would buy stolen stuff off the robbers in fatima mansions and bring it to work to sell. or else it would be conterfit stuff. i bought a watch off him one morning and it had fallen apart by dinner time.

the reason he was actually called Liftshaft Frank was because while working on the site he had fallen down a liftshaft. now it was only a few feet drop, but of course he made out that he had really injured himself so he could put in a claim. the problem was he was conflicted between taking time off work and his claim. to get a good claim he would have to be out of work 'sick' for a decent amount of time, but seeing as he did absolutley NO work what so ever while he was on site he was basically getting paid a good wage for doing nothing. so his dilema was if he stayed off work he could make his claim look better and possibly get a good payout, but while he wasnt working he was losing good money by not being in work. so in the end he took a week off and then volunteered to come back to work, but not do any heavy lifting. so now he was back working and doing even less work than he was beforehand, if that was even possible.

we would often go for pints after work but he would never join us becuase he wouldnt spend the money. it was cheaper to have cans at home. and the one time we did organise a proper night out in town with a few of the lads, he arrived to the pub and proceeded to tell us some story about forgetting or losing his wallet. but he remembered to put on all his gold chains. he looked like a pikey Mr. T with all the gold chains. one of the lads was telling us that he wears the gold chains out so if anyone likes any of them then he can sell them, and then that would pay for his night out. after we left the first pub myself and a few of the lads ditched him the first chance we got :D

i got the last laugh with him though. as i said, most days he would have stuff for sale that he had picked up in fatima mansions. so one day he was showing us an old irish pound note from 1929. i was admiring it and he said i could have it for €2 so i jumped at the chance and gave him his €2 for it. he couldnt stop smiling and then i heard from some of the lads that he had been boasting about selling me a fake pound note for €2. the reason he thought it was fake was because there was no watermark on it. i didnt mind too much because even if it was fake it was pretty cool looking. so i was showing it to a friends father who is a collector of coins and stamps etc and it turned out it was real. there was no water marks on those notes but there was a kind of thread that runs through the note. i sold it a few months ago for €250 to a coin collector in town :D. so at least i got something back from all the lunches and pints of milk he stung me for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

Anyone who puts up with that kind of crap deserves it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

board_om ... on behalf of Limerick, I apologise for Liftshaft Frank. What a ****ing scab.

At board om, the fact that yeah all knew he was screwing yeah yet bent over each day for anoter rimming says more about you than it does Frank. Surely anyone with some cop on or back bone would tell such a cheap scrounger where to go fcuk himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

board om wrote: »
    When i was younger I worked for a large Construction Company on their building sites. I met some of the stingiest fcukers you could ever come across. but there was one lad in particular, Liftshaft Frank we called him, or Frank Shaft for short. .
    I was half expecting someone to have pushed him down the liftshaft. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Victor wrote: »
    I was half expecting someone to have pushed him down the liftshaft. :)
    After all that crap, I'm surprised someone didn't!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Thought it was funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

In Cork, the local swimming pool were having a fund raiser. Stopped at one fellas house saying "We're collecting for the new pool". Came out a minute later with a bucket of water. True Story.

It is true that well off people are the tightest.
    We had a 60th birthday for my mam a few years back, full meal provided etc. No expense spared kind of thing. Any way a well off aunt gave a €50 in the card. Fair enough she gave something but not the extra tenner. Also, there were boxes of Ferrero Rocher provided at each table, circa 8 people per table. As the night carried on, and people danced away to the DJ, she was seen going around from table to table collecting the Ferrero's!!!!

Another cousin of mine, a millionaire no less, used to steal soap and toilet roll from his brother's house. Whenever Cork played in Croke Park, he'd bring a rucksack filled with Bud and would drink them whilst hanging outside The Hill pub. He's the kind of fella who wears his tightness as a badge of honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

what about people who bring slices of easy singles cheese to mcdonalds or burger king so they dont have to pay extra for the cheese..........
    :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

hanner wrote: »
    what about people who bring slices of easy singles cheese to mcdonalds or burger king so they dont have to pay extra for the cheese..........
    :):):)

people actually do that:eek:?!?!?!

ah come on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Phew!! 5 days later, I finally get to the end of this post...

Its been class, funny and shocking at the same time! Great Thread OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LiftShaft Frank

i sold it a few months ago for €250 to a coin collector in town :D. so at least i got something back from all the lunches and pints of milk he stung me for.

You owe me €250....ya big Stinge!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

foxyboxer wrote: »
    In Cork, the local swimming pool were having a fund raiser. Stopped at one fellas house saying "We're collecting for the new pool". Came out a minute later with a bucket of water. True Story.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

You owe me €250....ya big Stinge!

excellent. i like your work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LiftShaft Frank

excellent. i like your work :)

ya,cheers! hey any chance your going down to the shop mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

A girl at school while we were eating lunch used to remove the elastics from her braces, leave them down on the table in full view of everyone, and put them back in when we were finished eating! Now these elastics are FREE from the orthodontist, you are supposed to throw them in the bin when you take them out, but she liked to recycle them. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Phew!! 5 days later, I finally get to the end of this post...

Its been class, funny and shocking at the same time! Great Thread OP!

i'm too stingy to read the whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

i got the last laugh with him though. as i said, most days he would have stuff for sale that he had picked up in fatima mansions. so one day he was showing us an old irish pound note from 1929. i was admiring it and he said i could have it for €2 so i jumped at the chance and gave him his €2 for it. he couldnt stop smiling and then i heard from some of the lads that he had been boasting about selling me a fake pound note for €2. the reason he thought it was fake was because there was no watermark on it. i didnt mind too much because even if it was fake it was pretty cool looking. so i was showing it to a friends father who is a collector of coins and stamps etc and it turned out it was real. there was no water marks on those notes but there was a kind of thread that runs through the note. i sold it a few months ago for €250 to a coin collector in town :D. so at least i got something back from all the lunches and pints of milk he stung me for.

I used to work as a coin collecter one day this guy i knew to be a real miser came in with with a bank note from 1929. I gave him 250 for it but it was actually worth 4 grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Bob Z wrote: »
    I used to work as a coin collecter one day this guy i knew to be a real miser came in with with a bank note from 1929. I gave him 250 for it but it was actually worth 4 grand

Your still gonna have to pay Frank!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement