Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Exactly, thats its intended purpose, whats the intended purpose of an Irish penny!! hrmmmm, see where this be goin.

"intended purpose"? Cop the hell on! Or was that you working in the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I think his point was that traditionally most Irish shops would accept an English penny and most English shops would accept an Irish penny. I know I often used English coppers and got no complaints and when I was in London years abck used some Irish coppers and the shopkeep had no problem taking them.

But the shopkeep is in no way obliged to accept foreign coinage..ipso facto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Look dont fight. i'll give youse the penny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

My ex used to dry tea bags out on the radiator, then re - use them. In the summer, he'd leave them on a plate in direct sunlight.
    My valentin's gift was a re-cycled christmas present his brother had given him.

It's not like he was short of a quid or two either, he was a manager in a private bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

i know someone who holds the burning end of a smoke up so it doesnt burn as fast when they arent taking a drag

• Advertisement

But the shopkeep is in no way obliged to accept foreign coinage..ipso facto.

But come on, anybody who gets hung up on someone being a penny short is pulling the piss. I know people will say what if everyone is a penny short but over the course of a shops business day more customers will say keep the penny change than wait around for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

Me and 3 mates were in a taxi in America fare came to $8 we said we'd trow in $3 dollars each for the fare and a tip.

The 3 of us in the front handed our mate in the front $9 he pocketed a dollar and gave the other 8 to the driver thinking we wouldn't notice! Scabby bastid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Great thread, helps me get through the day in work.

I used to work in Tesco, and some customers would just be crazy for the tesco clubcard points, as in some would wait in line at the customer service desk for up to 10 minutes just to get 1 or 2 points added to there card, usually after they would buy a litre of milk.
    There was one particular woman who would regulary go through the bins at the entrance lookin for receipts other customers threw away and get them added to her card, bearing in mind 1 point was equal to 1c in vouchers, every little helps I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

I used to work in a certain supermarket in Dublin and part of my job was to reduce stock to clear about an hour before we closed. Practically every night, I had two men follow me around, trying to get "bargains", such as packets of ham for 50c. Now, I'm fully aware that food has a few days on it after the display until date, and will have a snoop in the "reduced" areas myself, but these guys panned their evenings around buying crappy short-dated food. Scarily, one of them owned a nearby B&B, and he would buy anything that was going cheap, own brand sausages that were out of date that day were his favourite, felt sorry for his guests.
    That wasn't a bad as my other regular, who used to come in at 6pm, find short-dated stuff and hide it. He'd then come back at 9pm and ask me to reduce it. It could be mouldy youghurt/grey meat and he'd still want it. The worst was when he tried to get me to reduce four litre cartons of milk which had "blown" and were all swollen-couldn't understand why I wouldn't sell it to him. The same guy used to root through the bins for receipts with points on them, came in with over 50 receipts once, each with one or two points on it. Later found out he drove around all of our stores to get "bargains" each night, and always searched payphones for abandoned change.
    Life's too short for this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I used to work in a certain supermarket in Dublin and part of my job was to reduce stock to clear about an hour before we closed. Practically every night, I had two men follow me around, trying to get "bargains", such as packets of ham for 50c. Now, I'm fully aware that food has a few days on it after the display until date, and will have a snoop in the "reduced" areas myself, but these guys panned their evenings around buying crappy short-dated food. Scarily, one of them owned a nearby B&B, and he would buy anything that was going cheap, own brand sausages that were out of date that day were his favourite, felt sorry for his guests.
    That wasn't a bad as my other regular, who used to come in at 6pm, find short-dated stuff and hide it. He'd then come back at 9pm and ask me to reduce it. It could be mouldy youghurt/grey meat and he'd still want it. The worst was when he tried to get me to reduce four litre cartons of milk which had "blown" and were all swollen-couldn't understand why I wouldn't sell it to him. The same guy used to root through the bins for receipts with points on them, came in with over 50 receipts once, each with one or two points on it. Later found out he drove around all of our stores to get "bargains" each night, and always searched payphones for abandoned change.
    Life's too short for this!!!

Sounds like someone I know who runs a B and B tbh

• Advertisement

Quint wrote: »
    I was in a bus station in London before the Euro came in. I bought a bottle of coke which cost £1.05, handed in the exact money and was refused because one of the pennies I handed was an irish one instead of sterling!
    They were the same size and weight, who cares?

Similar thing happened to my brother when he was in the UK-they'd be losing out what? 0.2p in exchange rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dmullar

i charge 1 euro per 500 words typed for customers wanting documents typed, a customer refused to pay me when i typed 497 words up.

Should have just stuck in "screw Ned Flanders" at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

A friend of mine wont give ya the steam off his p1ss.

I recall him complaining that his girlfriend gets dinners in his house some days but wouldn give money to his mother for them. Its your girlf your supposed to feed them when they in your house

He would always leave ya short in money for stuff eg getting drinks for him he would give ya 3€ for a pint etc and then have cheek to ask for 1€ that you owe him :mad:

And funnily enough as i write i just recieved a "call me" from him :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

I borrow the loo-roll out of the gym cause its cheaper than what they sell in super-value. Hurts the ring though if you rub too hard too often. My mate says I have piles because of it, so i suppose thats karma:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The HSE closing the Scoliosis unit for kids at Crumlin Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

seven-iron wrote: »
    I borrow the loo-roll out of the gym cause its cheaper than what they sell in super-value. Hurts the ring though if you rub too hard too often. My mate says I have piles because of it, so i suppose thats karma:mad:

"borrow"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Walking an hour and a half to work because they wouldn't pay €1.60 for the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

If the person is entitled to a bus pass then they should carry it. They are not entitled to free transport during morning rush hour.

Regarding jobsworths, I am aware of a Dublin Bus driver being fired because a passenger didn't have a ticket.

And a guy I knew who was a conductor told me it was like pulling teeth to get some pensioners to show their passes. And we all know that a lot of old people can be very stingy and would take a freebie over having to show their passes.

They are entitled to free travel at all times of day... the scheme was extended a few years ago.

Regarding a driver getting fired for a passenger, I call shenanigans. At most that would be a misdemeanour, and would get a warning for it. Its not gross misconduct (such as refusing to drive). Besides if that happened I'm certain there would have been a sympathy strike, considering it doesn't take much to get Dublin Bus drivers to walk out.

RonMexico wrote: »

Exercise?

segaBOY wrote: »
    Exercise?

No they said they wouldn't pay the 10c price increase because in Poland they could buy a Ferrari for 10c and still have money for a holiday.

Well not quite but you get my drift...tighter than a camels ass in a sandstorm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Ste.phen wrote: »
    "borrow"?

Yeah "borrow" as in they are going to leave it back when they're finshed wipin their holes with it.

No they said they wouldn't pay the 10c price increase because in Poland they could buy a Ferrari for 10c and still have money for a holiday.

Well not quite but you get my drift...tighter than a camels ass in a sandstorm

I'm from Polska......is this awkward...

Nah only joking :p I get your drift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

The cheapest person I know is actually a relative.

She's related to my dad and she's been friends with my mum since their college days.

They've exchanged gifts for years, on birthdays and at Christmas etc.

My mum's gifts have always being very thoughtful and generous, with the received gifts never quite matching up!

Her presents were never anything to look forward to, but a few years ago, one she gave my mum really took the piss -

A pair of Dunnes stores 'mink' coloured tights that had been taken out of the box, tried on and obviously shoved back in along with a cheap fridge magnet with my mum's name on it!

Nothing says 'Happy Birthday' quite like that!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

My uncles bday was just after xmas and I grabbed some left over smelly stuff from xmas and wrapped it up for him. I left the present wit him and the following week he pointed out that he could see a pen imprint on the box saying "happy christmas from your uncle paul"

Cringe :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

my south african housemate(well ex-housemate now) moved out there last monday and even brought a half empty bottle of washing up liquid with him,it was like the really cheap stuff from tesco aswell...i couldnt believe it....we had tea bags in a big pot aswell and he emptied the pot so he could get his few tea bags...thank god he is finished college already...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I do this most of the time on the way home from college, I prefer walking in the fresh air. It's a damn sight better then having to sit next to some scumbags smoking joints for 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

I do this most of the time on the way home from college, I prefer walking in the fresh air. It's a damn sight better then having to sit next to some scumbags smoking joints for 20 minutes.
    Yeah me too, for a few reasons : sometimes you wait forever for a bus or I can't find the damn bus stop, going through the city centre by bus is only marginally faster than by foot depending on the time of the day, and then I'm often so broke I can't even afford it :pac:

I do this too. And frequently I would get to my destination before the bus even would.

Yeah but ye are missing the point. They used to get the bus all the time and when the fare went up 10c they refused to pay and instead walked hail, rain or rain and then bitched about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Yesterday there was a Simpsons comic being given away with The Mirror. The Mirror costs One Euro. We had one woman come in claiming she bought the paper but didn't get the magazine in it. She said she bought it ten minutes ago too. So I asked could I see the paper. no. Or a receipt. No.

So out of goodwill, I gave her one, but told her it was only a Euro.

She came back when I was off the till looking for another one off one of the other members of staff. The girl on till didn't know what to do so she called for someone to help her - and I turned up. Before I got to the till she spotted me and waddled out!

That hassle for a euro! :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement