Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Cycle 2 Wave 1 Wednesday 4/02/09

Bench

warmup

All paused:

75% 95 x 5
    80% 102.5 x 5
    85% 107.5 x 6

Accessory (also all paused):
    60% 77.5 x 10
    70 x 10
    62.5 x 10
    57.5 x 10
    40% 50 x 10

Chins:
    x8
    x5
    x3

Ab PD's 112.5kg:

Stetching

Decided I'm gonna throw in some extra accesory work on bench and military days juts to hit my weakpoints. So lots of chins, abs and lower back work.

Cycle 2 Wave 1 Sat 07/02/09

Deadlift:

warmup

75% 157.5 x 5
    85% 167.5 x 5
    85% 177.5 x pulled up

Skipped accessory deadlifts

Standing Ab Pd's

112.5kg
    x15
    x9
    x6
    x5
    x4

Stetching

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKCCCCKKCCK!

One week before my first comp and I pull domething in my lower back. I'm disgusted. I didn't actually injure it in this session, it had been a little stiff all week but I didn't feel like it was weak or hurt, just a little sore.

The pulls just didn't feel right from the start and the twinge was there all the time. At 177.5 I could feel I was only going to get hurt pulling it so I had to stop.

Dunno how I'll be fixed for Saturday, I don't care though I'm not missing this. I'll end up a crumpled heap on the platform before I cry off injured.

So this week's log will be all about the back rehab and how much recovery can be done within a week! Think of it a case study, that might end up with me in a wheelchair (edge of your seat stuff).

At the moment my condition is I have a little tender spot at the bottom centre/right of my back, pretty sure it's just muscular, no spinal crap going on. I can walk around, bend down to pick things up, put my pants on etc. So for the avergae joe this wouldn't be considered a bad back but I planned on attempting a 240kg pull on Sat so it's all relative, this is a disaster.

I'm gonna concenrate on getting as much blood to the area as possible this week. The more blood the more oxygen, nutrients, whatever get to the source, I don't understand the science but "blood=good". So that means high rep (30+) sets on low weights in things like pull thru's and good mornings. The worst thing I could do is rest, or so my research tells me, It'll slow down my recovery. I'm also gonna spend most evenings lying on a golf ball and rolling the crap out of the sore spot (lets hope it's muscular so and not a disc!).

To sum up. God hates me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I echo your hopes, definitely don't want a disc injury. You might already be doing it, but using an ice pack intermittently for 10 mins or so, then off for about 20, then repeat, might get blood flowing into the area (by restricting and then opening the wee pipes). Have you been to a therapist yet? Again I hope its not a disc injury or almost a disc injury, but you want to know that before you go on the platform, it would suck to miss a comp, but it sucks more to miss months and months of training and future comps.
    At least you had the sense to stop, get better fast dude.

What does it feel like at the minute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

I echo your hopes, definitely don't want a disc injury. You might already be doing it, but using an ice pack intermittently for 10 mins or so, then off for about 20, then repeat, might get blood flowing into the area (by restricting and then opening the wee pipes). Have you been to a therapist yet? Again I hope its not a disc injury or almost a disc injury, but you want to know that before you go on the platform, it would suck to miss a comp, but it sucks more to miss months and months of training and future comps.
    At least you had the sense to stop, get better fast dude.

What does it feel like at the minute?

+1 go see a professional first to get it checked out - if you think about it you will be going max effort in the comp which you aren't doing right now - so better to be safe than sorry...

Thanks lads. I might pop into a physio during the week if work allows, which it mightn't.

What's the name of the one on Kildare St? I've heard good things from a few here about them. Might be an idea to confirm it's just muscular. Hanley suggested to me it may be an SI injury and to be honest that fits the bill pretty well symptiom wise and is a pretty common "lifter injury".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    Thanks lads. I might pop into a physio during the week if work allows, which it mightn't.

What's the name of the one on Kildare St? I've heard good things from a few here about them. Might be an idea to confirm it's just muscular. Hanley suggested to me it may be an SI injury and to be honest that fits the bill pretty well symptiom wise and is a pretty common "lifter injury".

Sports Med. Ireland on Schoolhouse Lane?? It's just off Kildate street, opposite the Dail.

When I hurt my SI there was a definite "pop" feeling. Happened twice actually, minor pull first, then a few days later I was leaning over my computer desk in an awkward fashion and it went properly. I hurt it attempting to deadlfit 160kg x3 at the time.... Memories!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

That sucks.

Please don't go attempting a max deadlift if you're back if playing up.

Take it on the chin and miss the compeition. Don't make it worse. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Agreed...if its hurting lad dont go lifting...think about it... you could go for 240 now and hurt yourself and miss nationals in april or hold out and go for 250 in nationals in april :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It could be a facet joint ligament. I injured myself deadlifting in 2007 and that's what was diagnosed. On a few occasions I thought it had healed only for it to recur while deadlifting. I ended up stopping conventional deadlifting for most of 07.

Back luck for you coming up to competition. 157 and 177 kg probably feels like a feather to you normally but it just shows that injuries can occur with weights that feel light and are well below your 1 RM. My injury also occured on a "light" set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Aw Kev, I'm sorry to hear about the injury!!

You sound just like Hanley when something happens to him - bloody determained to go do your best anyway! Just be careful, try to get into the physio if ya can!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Hanley wrote: »
    Sports Med. Ireland on Schoolhouse Lane?? It's just off Kildate street, opposite the Dail.

When I hurt my SI there was a definite "pop" feeling. Happened twice actually, minor pull first, then a few days later I was leaning over my computer desk in an awkward fashion and it went properly. I hurt it attempting to deadlfit 160kg x3 at the time.... Memories!

Oh, C'mon!! Is no one gonna ask Hanley what he was doing "leaning over his computer desk in an awkward fashion"?? Let's at least score some points off him with remarks like "You'd do anything to get that promotion, wouldn't you, Big Fella??" and so on and so forte... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

take it easy man, we all know you're an animal, wether you prove it next week or in the next three months doesnt matter. dont push it tooooo far man:(

and as we're pluggin physio's, sports plus in limerick made my life bareable

Hanley's gonna kick me in the back for thanking that post but it's funny.

Cheers for the advice and condolences all. You may as well be telling a dog not to lick it's balls but thanks anyway :D.

This is a single lifts comp so if it boils down to it I might just squat and bench, I feel I could squat ok with this, hard to describe the feeling. I'd know after a light squat opener how I was fixed in any case. Like if I woke up with a nurse looking down at me I'd know I was still a little off.

I'll try and see a physio this week for the
    Me: "If I deadlift on saturday will I die?"
    Physio: "No, but..."
    Me: "Byeee..."

conversation.

Monday 09/02/09 Back rehab

Leg swings:
    Per leg x 10,000,000 :)

Pull thru's:
    22.5kg plate
    5 sets of 30 reps

Good mornings:
    20kg Oly Bar
    4 sets of 30 reps

Reverse Hypers:
    4 sets of 30 reps

Stretching

(At home) rolling around on a golf ball - 10 mins.

Pain pretty much dissapeared once I got my back muscles warm and pumped.
    Big improvement today but as I said it call be undone with one deadlift.

Update.

Did somne more blood pumping work Wednesday and things have been getting progressively better. Work has been a beee-atch but I've time today to get to a physio so I'm going to see Orla McGarrion in SportsMed Ireland at 2.

I suppose I'll know by 3 whether I can lift or not. I have to say I'm not confident, the pain isn't bad but it just doesn't feel strong.

If she does diagnose a root cause for this I suppose I'll feel better if I do have to miss the competition. Will be worth avoiding future injury and focus my energy on April's comp.

To be fair that right lower side of my back is always the place that gets tweaked so there's probably something not right that was gonna flare up at some stage.

Hope its nothing serious dude. Good luck.

Woooohooooo!!!!!!! Screw you Linda Martin! (theres a thought, dunno if Roper reads this but he has previously expressed an interest in ageing RTE celebrities...)

Got the all clear to at least give it a go. I might not be able to perform 100% but I'm not in any danger with the injury.

Basically it's my lazy ass's fault. Or dormant glutes in physio speak.

My right glute isn't firing in my lifts, my left one is. The left side of my lower back is compensating for my right glute, thus causing those muscles to spasm and impinge my lower RIGHT back! Talk about a chain reaction.

I've been given glute activation exercises to help get them both firing for both warmup and rehab purposes. Nothing structuraly wrong with my back, all solid.

She showed me how my left love handle bit is so much higher up than my right because of the muscle imbalance. Really noticeable once you spot it.

Such a relief that I'm not as injured as I thought I was. Doubt I'll really be on top form tomorrow but I'm looking forward to it so much....if I can find it. Where the jaysus is Rathcairn?!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Good news. Best of luck tomorrow!

That's great dude, and it has the added benefit of identifying a muscle imbalance/firing issue that you wouldn't have realised before. Once you fix that up you'll be squatting and deadlifting stronger than ever. good luck with the comp.

• Advertisement

results????

never mind ofund them :)

nice squatting man!!

big fúckin squat!

Monday 16/02/09

Dumbell Bench:
    30kg bells
    x17
    x10
    x15 (after chat break)

Lat Pulldowns:
    52.5kg
    x28
    x15
    x12

Pull Thru's:
    52.5kg
    x10
    x10
    x10

Good Mornings:
    50kg
    x20
    x20

Wednesday 18/02/09

Dips:
    +20kg
    x8
    x8
    x8
    x8
    x7

Preacher Curls
    30kg
    x10
    x6
    x4
    x4
    x4

Hack Squat Machine
    40kg ATG
    x15
    x15
    x15

RDL's
    50kg
    x25
    x25

Friday 20/02/09

Dumbell Bench:
    35kg
    x12
    x10
    x8

Lat Pulldown:
    67.5kg
    x20
    x12
    x10

Hammerstrength Leg Press:
    160kg
    x8
    x8
    x6

Lying Leg Curls:
    40kg
    x15
    x10
    x7

Standing ab pulldowns:
    112kg
    x9
    x7

Vid:

impressive i wish i was this strong at these... i never thought of keeping the feet behind the hips...ill so be trying that!! good man

P.S wtf is the guy in the background doing? its like step step side lunge wtf? i hope you beat him for that :)

Interesting to see the ab pull down vid. I usually do these with my hands behind my neck / ears and my grip at the very end of the rope, whilst kneeling. I must try your version.

impressive i wish i was this strong at these... i never thought of keeping the feet behind the hips...ill so be trying that!! good man

P.S wtf is the guy in the background doing? its like step step side lunge wtf? i hope you beat him for that :)

Having your feet back completely takes any assistance you may get from your legs out of the equation. Just don't leave your towel on the ground while doing them, you're guaranteed to cramp up when you bend to pick it up!

Never noticed the bloke in the background. You see so much sh1te in TF you stop taking it in after a while.
    BossArky wrote: »
    Interesting to see the ab pull down vid. I usually do these with my hands behind my neck / ears and my grip at the very end of the rope, whilst kneeling. I must try your version.

With the ropes over your shoulders and standing it doesn't fatigue your arms as much because you kind of pull down with your shoulders rather than having the weight supported by your arms.

• Advertisement

He appears to be trying very hard to tear his groin

Advertisement