Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs that pay way too much for the work done

Options
  • 17-01-2009 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Was having a conversation in de public house last night on jobs that pay well over the odds for what is involved. We came to the conclusion that the vast majority are in the public sector but there are also some in the private sector too.

One was train drivers. Fairly responsible job but one of the lads said a cousin of his does it and freely admits that the €50k p.a. he gets paid is waaaay too much for the level of skill and training involved. He just sits there and pulls a few levers/ presses a few buttons all day.

Another was my own sister, a consultant anaesthetist. It is quite a responsible job to be fair, like people might die if she screws up. However when I go around to her private clinic to pick her up for lunch I often have to wait until the last patient is seen. In the ten minutes it takes her to see them she makes €160. Lunch is always on her. In fairness she worked v.hard for 12 years to get where she is now but I still don't see how €250k p.a. is justified.

Any others ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

taxi drivers!

probably my own job.

most jobs actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

taxi drivers!

Bait in the water:D
    probably my own job

Health and Safety Inspector ?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

Why would your sister or anyone else study all those years for no reward. Medicine is hard going. She might as well have stayed in bed, while there are people in bed who have never worked a day. Strange times we live in the rich get poorer and the poor get poorer so whose getting the money:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

RATM wrote: »
    Was having a conversation in de public house last night on jobs that pay well over the odds for what is involved. We came to the conclusion that the vast majority are in the public sector but there are also some in the private sector too.

One was train drivers. Fairly responsible job but one of the lads said a cousin of his does it and freely admits that the €50k p.a. he gets paid is waaaay too much for the level of skill and training involved. He just sits there and pulls a few levers/ presses a few buttons all day.

Another was my own sister, a consultant anaesthetist. It is quite a responsible job to be fair, like people might die if she screws up. However when I go around to her private clinic to pick her up for lunch I often have to wait until the last patient is seen. In the ten minutes it takes her to see them she makes €160. Lunch is always on her. In fairness she worked v.hard for 12 years to get where she is now but I still don't see how €250k p.a. is justified.

Any others ?

how much value do you place on a life?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A certain footballer may be getting paid a lot more than he's worth soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jackncoke wrote: »
    depends on whose life. Average about fiddy quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

Health and Safety Inspector ?

banker me

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Long term unemployed.
    Why should the rest of us pay for people who are too lazy to scratch themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

kathy2 wrote: »
    Why would your sister or anyone else study all those years for no reward. Medicine is hard going. She might as well have stayed in bed, while there are people in bed who have never worked a day. Strange times we live in the rich get poorer and the poor get poorer so whose getting the money:D

This blog http://doctoryblog.wordpress.com/ might shed some light on the work of a junior doctor.

Yes consultants get paid quite a bit, but dont label all doctors with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The highest paid politicians of all OECD countries who spend the least amount of time in parliament i.e. ours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Accountants - P1ss easy and they've proved with Anglo Irish that they can't even get it right.

Conveyance Lawyers - Shouldn't be required at all. I for one am glad that a lot of them will lose out with the housing downturn.

ESB employees - Hold the country to ransom each decade.

Pharmacists - Shopkeepers with an attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Because they care about helping people through their medical problems perhaps?Isn't that the ethos of studying medicine?
    I'm not saying doctors don't deserve to get paid well considering the amount of work they put in to get there. I am saying €250k p.a. is an obscene amount of money for the work involved. Vast majority of doctors in the world earn only a fraction of this wage and seem perfectly happy working for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

All people in senior positions in semi state bodies / Goveremnt positions in Ireland, esp when they get massive rewards for incompetence. eg the guy who resigned from FAS. Massive golden handshake and a pension way higher than most of us would dare dream of as a salary.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Take your pick from anyone in middle management and work your way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

kowloon wrote: »
    A certain footballer may be getting paid a lot more than he's worth soon enough.

All footballers get paid way too much.Iam just glad kaka donates his part of his wages to charity.:)

Every politician gets paid far too much.

lecturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The system of public/private medicine in this country is designed for the personal enrichment of those involved and not for the benefit of the patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

No, he donates it to a very dodgey couple who front a church in Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Prostitutes.

My wallet has never been so emp....Oh damn. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

footballers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

RATM wrote: »

You go from mentioning a train driver to someone who stupied for 12 years?!?!?!?!?!

If she studied for 12 years, she deserves it...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You go from mentioning a train driver to someone who stupied for 12 years?!?!?!?!?!

If she studied for 12 years, she deserves it...
    In that case I deserve it, I went to school for 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Going and actually learning are different :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

politicians enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The board of directors from Anglo Irish.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

glaston wrote: »
    Long term unemployed.
    Why should the rest of us pay for people who are too lazy to scratch themselves.

:rolleyes:, do unemployed people not pay tax when they buy food or when they pay bills ?

do unemployed people not pay tax when they buy them selves a drink ? thats the most dumb ass responce ive ever read ....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I obviously meant University..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The legal profession - when you consider what they actually do they are massively overpaid. Total monoply no competition.

Train Drivers I'd agree with - a reasonably awake 15 year old could be a train driver after probably 15 mins training.

Chemists/Pharmacists - I don't understand why they get paid so much. All they seem to do is read doctors' perscriptions and hand over drugs. A monkey could do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

jackncoke wrote: »

That's hardly the point is it, she's hardly gonna be better at her job because she gets paid more. How good you are at your job and how much you get paid aren't necesserally relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The legal profession - when you consider what they actually do they are massively overpaid. Total monoply no competition.

Train Drivers I'd agree with - a reasonably awake 15 year old could be a train driver after probably 15 mins training.

Chemists/Pharmacists - I don't understand why they get paid so much. All they seem to do is read doctors' perscriptions and hand over drugs. A monkey could do this.

RE; Chemists. Its because the writing is so small!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kiwikid

Eglinton wrote: »

Pharmacists - Shopkeepers with an attitude
    lol - totally agree!

lecturers - ones who don't support their research students.

cant think any more

Advertisement