Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Orion wrote: »

I'd been guzzling Coke and eating a lot of chocs/sweets etc. I've obviously cut all them out. Made some changes to diet - cut out white bread in favour of brown. Instead of crisps/choc having yoghurt or fruit. Apart from my coke/chocs my diet wasn't all that bad but I was snacking a lot. I do a lot of baking so found some low sugar recipes - breads I make are usually wholegrain anyway. Always looking for recipes so fire some my way.

So anyway sugars heading in the right direction. My routines are changing to eat better and more regularly. Looking at this more like an opportunity to be healthier than something limiting.

Its great that your doing alot of excersise, that and diet are the main things so your off to a fab start.
    You should start looking at the carbohydrate content of food it's more important then the sugar. With baking you can always swap sugar for artificial sweetner. Almond flour is great for baking and low carb but it's pricey. Look up low carb recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Almind Flour is really pricey but ground almonds are cheap enough and are basically the same thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Orion wrote: »
    My blood sugar was too high for his machine to read - so over 27. He sent me straight to ED after telling me I have diabetes - not quite what I expected to hear.
    Wow, it's been awhile since I had bloods that high. Any other symptoms if you don't mind me asking?
    2 nights in hospital and feeling like a pin cushion. HbA1c was 124! Got it down to 15.1 and the let me home on Medformin with instructions to take a week of Diamicron if it stayed over 10 at the weekend - it was 11.3 so taking that for a week since Sunday (later than day I did a 30k hilly cycle and it dropped to 6.4 but up a little since).
    That is an epic come down in a short period, nothing short of simply incredible. I fear you may have many others jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

CramCycle wrote: »
    Wow, it's been awhile since I had bloods that high. Any other symptoms if you don't mind me asking?

That is an epic come down in a short period, nothing short of simply incredible. I fear you may have many others jealous.

Frequent urination, dry mouth, weight loss, chronic fatigue. They're the only ones I can think of.

One strange one since diagnosis - my eyesight has improved. I've been wearing glasses for 40 years. Last couple of days no glasses while working on the computer. Nurse told me to wait 6 weeks before getting an eye test to allow it to stabilise.

6.4 this morning so very happy with that. That stir fry for dinner was worth it :D

Found a lovely lunch recipe for a gluten free/low carb toastie. Going to try this today.
    http://www.thrive-style.com/2012/02/fancy-grilled-cheese-on-coconut-flour-flatbread-gluten-and-grain-free/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

kippy wrote: »
    Hi All,
    So I've some form of Diabetes. Diagosed around the 23rd of March. I hadn't been feeling any of the usual pointers to diabetes but I had taken a blood test with a kit at home a week before the the levels were off the charts so went to the doctor.
    I've since been to the clinic where further blood tests have been taken to see what Type I have.
    In the meantime I had been put on 500mg of Metformin twice a day.
    Over the past two weeks I've been put on insulin (Basel 9 units) and the rapid acting insulin prior to meals in consultation with the nurse who I speak with every couple of days.
    Since I took the home blood test I've cut out almost all "bad foods" and gotten at least 30 minutes activity in each day, started on couch to 5K also and taken up cycling.

Based on the insulin I am taking I am thinking and have been told it may be late onset type 1 but will await proper results on that. My BP, Kidney function is fine however I have slightly elevted colestrol which I have been given medication for - I would hope my lifestyle and dietry changes will bring this under control anyway.

I am almost 40 and my father, uncle and various cousins have had type 2 for varying amounts of years.

There's some great information and stories in this thread, thanks to all of you.

At the moment I am working hard to adjust my pre meal intake to match the meal and working with the nurse to amend my doses in general.

I don't have any questions that havent been answered as of yet but that will probably change.

Thanks for reading.

Just an update.
    So diagnosis came back a few weeks ago at this point. Type 1.
    Don't know how long I've had it but I know its no more than 3 years. Should probably have been checking the bloods more regularily in the intervening period.

In the meantime I've been getting used to the insulin with meals, the carb counting and the general requirement to plan my day out when it comes to meals and activities.
    Getting on top of the numbers slowly with the daily average readings coming down bar the odd spike. Finding the activity the main difficulty in allowing for and monitoring Blood Sugars a lot more regularily when I am doing any physical work.
    Again, great thread here for various reasons - thanks for reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Exercise/physical work is a problem, esp if you don't know how much it'll be and it's out on location somewhere. I tend to go low - if the blood reading is 6 at breakfast inject 3 and do a blood test just before you start the work. If the reading is say 8 then you're okay for a while but if you know you are unlikely to be able to test again just make sure to have carbs with you and eat after an hour and then again an hour later (unless you know you're heading for a hypo of course!).

Just got my appointment for a virtual consultation with my diabetic nurse for next week.

25 minutes chat not sure how we spun it out that long! The nurse who was not my usual one but she said she is about to join the team at UHW. She liked my mmol/l HbA1c for the last 90 days as read by the machine, said in a blood test it would be lower than the stated 7.3/6.2 and that it continues a downward trend towards the green zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I got the dexcom g6 in the post today. Just waiting on my pharmacy to get the sensors in. Iv been on the g4 and then g5 but for some reason I got all emotional and teary when this arrived. Iv been finger pricking since 1996. Just cant believe I dont have to anymore. Technology is truly amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Hi Folks,

Since it doesnt look like the Libre is going to be made available fully on the LTI any time soon, can anyone fill me on in the requirements for getting the Dexcom?

I love the Libre, its great, but the cost is just too much at the moment :(

Thanks

Wanton wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Since it doesnt look like the Libre is going to be made available fully on the LTI any time soon, can anyone fill me on in the requirements for getting the Dexcom?

I love the Libre, its great, but the cost is just too much at the moment :(

Thanks

Hi , if you self fund it's 188 a month (after claiming vat back)
    To get HSE funding your endo has to apply for you and you need one of the following

• More than 1 episode a year of severe hypoglycaemia with no obviously preventable precipitating cause.

• Complete loss of awareness of hypoglycaemia.

• Frequent (more than 2 episodes a week) asymptomatic hypoglycaemia that is causing problems with daily activities.

• Extreme fear of hypoglycaemia.

• Hyperglycaemia (HbA1c level of 75 mmol/litre [9%] or higher) that persists despite testing at least 10 times a day (see recommendations 3.6.11 and 3.6.12).

• Advertisement

Hi , if you self fund it's 188 a month (after claiming vat back)
    To get HSE funding your endo has to apply for you and you need one of the following

• More than 1 episode a year of severe hypoglycaemia with no obviously preventable precipitating cause.

• Complete loss of awareness of hypoglycaemia.

• Frequent (more than 2 episodes a week) asymptomatic hypoglycaemia that is causing problems with daily activities.

• Extreme fear of hypoglycaemia.

• Hyperglycaemia (HbA1c level of 75 mmol/litre [9%] or higher) that persists despite testing at least 10 times a day (see recommendations 3.6.11 and 3.6.12).

Many thanks, I dont meet any requirements so :(

They dont make it easy.

They dont make it easy.

Hi just to say I didnt meet any of those criteria when I got mine. I was living alone and having hypos at night. That's why I got it. Hope that helps!

They dont make it easy.

Ask your consultant what you need to get it, then tell them you have that thing. or even better find out who your Nurse in charge of them is, and try to meet them instead of the consultant, they will know the actual system better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

CramCycle wrote: »
    Ask your consultant what you need to get it, then tell them you have that thing. or even better find out who your Nurse in charge of them is, and try to meet them instead of the consultant, they will know the actual system better.

+1 on this, if you have a nurse practioner led clinic get on to them and see what they advise.

banie01 wrote: »
    +1 on this, if you have a nurse practioner led clinic get on to them and see what they advise.

I am under Dr Hatunic in the Mater public. I tried to bring it up with him after I saw good result while self funding the Libre, but he was beyond dismissive. Made me feel like a 10yr old kid. Its been a long time since I was 10yrs old.

I will need to check and see the next time I am due back in with the nurses in the day clinic.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I am under Dr Hatunic in the Mater public. I tried to bring it up with him after I saw good result while self funding the Libre, but he was beyond dismissive. Made me feel like a 10yr old kid. Its been a long time since I was 10yrs old.

I will need to check and see the next time I am due back in with the nurses in the day clinic.

Thanks.

It is a pity you and I are not ten years old, then the ageist rules wouldn't preclude people like us from getting such a helpful device....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭uli84

Unfortunately with all the cuts on health spending upcoming due to coronavirus it’s not going to be easy

Had a spike this morning and wondering what might have caused it. I'm 7.5 - up from 5.2 yesterday morning. Food yesterday was weetabix and bacon/eggs for breakfast. Some seeded brown bread with cheese for lunch. And a homemade thai curry for dinner. Also had some popcorn later on. Everything except the curry I've eaten since diagnosis without spikes so was it the curry. I made the curry myself - coconut milk, Mai Ploy curry paste, 1 spoon coconut sugar, fish sauce, lime leaves, veg and chicken. Coconut milk I thought was ok and the spoon of sugar was in a meal for 4 people so didn't think that would impact greatly. I did have half a naan bread and basmati rice. Also a couple of hours of light exercise yesterday which should have helped.

Anyone seen the same with a curry? I'd hate to have to cut out that meal - it's a regular staple. Last weekend I gorged on an Indian takeaway including rice, naan and popadums but spike only went to 6.5 from 5.0.

7.5 isn't a spike really! It's going to be hard to isolate which food created a slightly higher reading, I'd ignore it other than to make a note (which you've just done in effect)

Do you just test in the mornings ? I would say it was either the nann bread or the rice or a combination of the two. I would try just haveing one with the curry next time

• Advertisement

7.5 isn't a spike really! It's going to be hard to isolate which food created a slightly higher reading, I'd ignore it other than to make a note (which you've just done in effect)

+1 also it is hard to say anything based on one morning reading. A spike to me is something that happens immediately after the food, not something I could diagnose the next morning. 7.5 could be from a bad nights sleep, a good nights sleep, being awake too early or sleeping in, it is really hard to say without more info but I wouldn't be concerned unless it stays up or continues to rise over time.

I'd give half a pancreas for a 7.5 morning reading, let alone after an Indian ;)
    My usual morning reading is between 9 and 11 :(

That said it does come back into far better control during the day and my HbA1c over the last few years has averaged at @6.5.

An Indian, particularly Korma or Biryani even without Naan will always leave me in double digit the next morning.

Endo reckons I have a leaky liver and dawn phenomenon, couple that with an awful sleeping pattern and I've learned that in my own particular case i'm far better focusing on afternoon readings pre-dinner and my HbA1c for a more realistic picture.

I'd love to have a libre or other continuous glucose monitor to see just what the fúck my pancreas gets up to! :pac:

Thanks. That's a relief - was concerned it was creeping up. The Indian I had without a sauce due to a nut allergy so less sugar but did gorge on the carbs parts. The Thai last night was homemade so I knew exactly what was in it.

Yes my readings are nearly all mornings. It's the highest it's been since I got it under 8 (only diagnosed on the 26th May) so that's why I was concerned but reading the above has allayed that concern. I keep a food diary too to try and spot patterns. Considering I was over 27 when I saw my GP I'm happy enough to be under 8 still anyway :)

04/06/2020 08:15:00 6.5
    05/06/2020 08:10:00 7.2
    06/06/2020 08:30:00 5.1
    06/06/2020 14:00:00 4.6 (after a 45km cycle)
    07/06/2020 12:00:00 5.0
    08/06/2020 08:00:00 6.7
    09/06/2020 08:00:00 5.9
    10/06/2020 08:30:00 6.2
    11/06/2020 08:30:00 6.9
    12/06/2020 09:00:00 7.0 (Lasagna for dinner day before)
    13/06/2020 10:00:00 5.7
    14/06/2020 09:00:00 5.2
    15/06/2020 09:30:00 7.5 (Thai curry day before)

I'd give half a pancreas for a 7.5 morning reading, let alone after an Indian ;)
    My usual morning reading is between 9 and 11 :(

That said it does come back into far better control during the day and my HbA1c over the last few years has averaged at @6.5.

An Indian, particularly Korma or Biryani even without Naan will always leave me in double digit the next morning.

Endo reckons I have a leaky liver and dawn phenomenon, couple that with an awful sleeping pattern and I've learned that in my own particular case i'm far better focusing on afternoon readings pre-dinner and my HbA1c for a more realistic picture.

I'd love to have a libre or other continuous glucose monitor to see just what the fúck my pancreas gets up to! :pac:

My dad and me and a good friend all used to be exactly the same mornings always over 10. Then I went on tresiba and it was a game changer and the other 2 switched over and had the same results. Morning nearly always between 4 and 6.

calfmuscle wrote: »
    My dad and me and a good friend all used to be exactly the same mornings always over 10. Then I went on tresiba and it was a game changer and the other 2 switched over and had the same results. Morning nearly always between 4 and 6.

I've yet to find a GLP-1 that agrees with me, great effect on my control when I was on Victoza but the side effects weren't worth it.

I may give the newer generation a try, Ozempic or one of those when they get approval here.

I was shifted to a combo of insulin and oral meds a few years ago and I've been lucky enough to get my control tight enough that I've been off insulin now for 16 months and kept control tight.

I've yet to find a GLP-1 that agrees with me, great effect on my control when I was on Victoza but the side effects weren't worth it.

I may give the newer generation a try, Ozempic or one of those when they get approval here.

I was shifted to a combo of insulin and oral meds a few years ago and I've been lucky enough to get my control tight enough that I've been off insulin now for 16 months and kept control tight.

Im on Ozempic, i find it great to be honest.

Hi all I have some g5 sensors and a g4 receiver here if anyone wants them. South Dublin north Wicklow area.

Lockdown has absolutely killed my glucose control I reckon.
    It is at least 2 months since I've tested below 8.5 in the morning :(

Then at 40, I've managed to get my 1st case of Athletes foot!
    3 toenails lost and but no other real issue.

Went to see my GP yesterday for a non-diabetes related issue and in fairness to him!
    Got a very good going over, and as my Endo appointments were pushed out to November, he has arranged a set of bloods for next week to see where I stand.

Now in what I hope isn't a diabetes related question, but could well be!?

Does anyone have any experience of ilioinguinal or inguinal nerve blocks for long term pain?

Banie, you should ask in the Fiabetes in Ireland facebook group. I've seen people post similar before but never looked into as right now it doesnt affect me.

Appointment in Beaumont this week was supposed to be obee the phone but got a text to say they want to see me. I can only assume my hba1c is horrendous :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

I should be doing bloods this week for my regular 6 monthly clinic in a couple of weeks but nurse at the clinic advised they will be in touch on the phone to assess/triage me and see if I need to come in, or can they skip for 6 months. I've no idea what my HbA1C is though - certainly it would have been sky high at the start of lock down until I got a better routine established.
    Are people experiencing a similar response from their clinics?

Also, I know there have been some announcements re other screening programmes. Anyone hear anything on retinopathy?

Advertisement