Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    That is insane. I can't borrow anymore money, tired of doing that after the whole illness benefit fiasco. When i get my money i am going to go to Thailand. Maybe get looked at over there. Their healthcare system is a million times better than here. You wouldn't think but it really is.

That's 100% the wrong thing to do.

Going to a doctor once or twice in Thailand isn't going to solve this issue, you're going to need a tonne of tests done before you get put on treatment, and you're going to need quarterly bloods done then once you're on treatment to make sure everything is in order. You're going to need follow ups with a dermatologist, and most importantly, the pharmacies in Ireland won't order in meds(most biologics are special order, and the pharmacy doesn't tend to hold stock) from doctors that aren't based in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

eeloe wrote: »
    That's 100% the wrong thing to do.

Going to a doctor once or twice in Thailand isn't going to solve this issue, you're going to need a tonne of tests done before you get put on treatment, and you're going to need quarterly bloods done then once you're on treatment to make sure everything is in order. You're going to need follow ups with a dermatologist, and most importantly, the pharmacies in Ireland won't order in meds(most biologics are special order, and the pharmacy doesn't tend to hold stock) from doctors that aren't based in Ireland.

Oh no i plan on getting looked after here but no harm getting a second opinion while over there, won't cost much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was reading of people finding magnesium chloride spray to be effective.

Epsom salts are magnesium sulphate, a different salt of magnesium. The chloride is supposed to get more magnesium into your system.

Some call it an oil spray, but it is just usually water and magnesium chloride, which then dissolved feels like oil. It can be got easily enough commercially.

https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Minerals-Magnesium-Zechstein-Chloride/dp/B001AD0HL8?th=1

I am going to get the flakes/powder and make my own. Think I already have some in work.

rubadub wrote: »
    I was reading of people finding magnesium chloride spray to be effective.

Epsom salts are magnesium sulphate, a different salt of magnesium. The chloride is supposed to get more magnesium into your system.

Some call it an oil spray, but it is just usually water and magnesium chloride, which then dissolved feels like oil. It can be got easily enough commercially.

https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Minerals-Magnesium-Zechstein-Chloride/dp/B001AD0HL8?th=1

I am going to get the flakes/powder and make my own. Think I already have some in work.

I wonder would the spray work to help with inflammation after training, aswell as the skin, i usually have 2 epsom salt baths a week, because i'm crippled from training, but if i could get a bottle of spray to just rub in after a shower...that'd be sweet.

Doctor gave me Dovobet, nizoral cream and fucidin. Pain in the ars* having to put them on, so time consuming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Doctor gave me Dovobet, nizoral cream and fucidin. Pain in the ars* having to put them on, so time consuming.

Fucidin is an antibiotic so you must have some infected patches.
    None of them are long term fixes. I really don’t have any time for Nizoral and my Dermatologist actually told me not to use it

Gael23 wrote: »
    Fucidin is an antibiotic so you must have some infected patches.
    None of them are long term fixes. I really don’t have any time for Nizoral and my Dermatologist actually told me not to use it

My shins are the worst and i think it's because i am scratching so much which is aggravating it. I need to look at my diet too and obviously get some sun.

I wonder would the spray work to help with inflammation after training, aswell as the skin, i usually have 2 epsom salt baths a week, because i'm crippled from training, but if i could get a bottle of spray to just rub in after a shower...that'd be sweet.

Seems it should be good. It is meant to absorb better than the sulphate (epsom salts) so you could get away with a spray rather than a full on bath. Some amazon reviews mention it.

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/why-i-slather-my-body-with-magnesium-oil-after-every-hard-workout/
    Large amounts of magnesium are lost when a person is under stress. The combination of heat and magnesium chloride increases circulation and waste removal, and this principle can be applied during breaks in competition as well as after the game in deeply relaxing baths similar to Epsom salt baths, but much stronger. A magnesium chloride bath helps draw inflammation out of the muscles and joints. Dr. Mark Steckel recommends a hot bath with Epsom salts after a long run when the muscles are just aching. He also recommends soaking once a week “as a treat to your legs, just to keep them happy!”

Switching to magnesium chloride will amplify this effect.

Transdermal magnesium chloride mineral therapy enhances recovery from athletic activity or injuries
    Dr. Jeff Schutt says that hamstring injuries can be avoided through nutritional support because contraction and relaxation are dependent on adequate cellular levels of magnesium.

“A shortened hamstring is a result of lack of available magnesium,” he says. Liquid magnesium chloride can be simply sprayed and rubbed into a sore Achilles tendon to decrease swelling. And soaking the feet in a magnesium chloride footbath is the single best thing—apart from stretching—that you can do to protect yourself from or recover from hamstring and other injuries.

As already explained, oral magnesium is not easily absorbed and at high doses creates diarrhea. Thus taking magnesium orally offers little to athletes while transdermal application opens up an entirely new universe to athletes as well as their coaches and doctors.

I found mine in work so will make some up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Pain in the arse the last few days. Little red dots popping up all over my forearm out of no where. Never there before.

Don't know whether it's something in my diet or aggrevated when working out as hey appear a bit redder after exercise.

rizzee wrote: »
    Pain in the arse the last few days. Little red dots popping up all over my forearm out of no where. Never there before.

Don't know whether it's something in my diet or aggrevated when working out as hey appear a bit redder after exercise.

Doesn't look too bad, some of my patches are bigger than a 2 euro coin. Don't really want to post pics.

• Advertisement

Mine always got worse with sweat, it was a bloody nightmare.

We also have essentially the same tattoo.....weird. :D

6 days over due a shot of stelara and i'm noticing one or two patches starting to return, one little one on my face and one in each ear.

Counting down the seconds until tomorrow morning when i get in to the nurse for my shot!

I made the "magnesium oil", it stings like crazy so if using some be sure you can get in a shower if needed. Some just dilute it more, you are meant to get used to it.

I have read more about it, seems that it is not just a topical treatment in the sense that it does not just benefit the areas you dab/spray it onto. e.g. People were putting it on their body and their scalp was clearing up. You are absorbing the magnesium through the skin and seems people have a deficiency in magnesium and it just benefits in general. Early days yet but I have seen improvment.

The stinging is much worse on any cracked skin. You could apply it to other areas and it should not sting as much but you would still be upping your magnesium levels. People put it on their armpits where it more readily absorbs into the skin via the pores. It is also meant to act as a deodarant or possibly an anti perspirant. People report much lower body odour in general after using it. Some sleep better too, and better breathing.

There is a long thread here about it, I am only partly the way through.
    https://www.inspire.com/groups/talk-psoriasis/discussion/something-that-really-works/

H&B have it https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/betteryou-magnesium-flakes-60098968?skuid=098967

I made mine by boiling flakes and water in a glass jar in the microwave, I kept adding more flakes until it would dissolve no more. It was fully liquid but upon cooling the salt comes out of solution and became a thick wallpaper paste. When fully cooled I added more water little by little until it was all clear again. So it was a fully saturated solution which is stronger than most commercial premade "oils". I did not bother with distilled water, some say it is needed to extend the shelf life but I cannot see how it would be effected, and I only made a small amount anyway.

Another treatment I came across was glycerine, which like the magnesium is pretty cheap, safe and easy enough to get. It is already in lots of moisturisers.

https://www.inspire.com/groups/talk-psoriasis/discussion/glycerin-hypothesis/

rubadub wrote: »
    Another treatment I came across was glycerine, which like the magnesium is pretty cheap, safe and easy enough to get. It is already in lots of moisturisers.

https://www.inspire.com/groups/talk-psoriasis/discussion/glycerin-hypothesis/

Might try this. The thing is i actually have oily skin so i try to avoid oils due to previous acne and dermatitis.

I try to use non oil based moisturizer after showering as my skin get's dry so my body starts pushing out more oil to compensate.

Might try this. The thing is i actually have oily skin so i try to avoid oils due to previous acne and dermatitis.

I got a little pot in tesco. I had some from a pharmacy ages ago which was cheaper per ml, had to ask them as it was out the back.

It was in the baking section in tesco, lots of dr oteker stuff all in a row, like icings and glucose syrup.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254914123

€1.15 for just 38ml. Worth a go before buying a bigger one. The bottle is tiny, look out for the dr oteker green/red labelling on other products
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

it is not as noticeable on the small bottle.
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

1000ml is £6.95 on amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012DNYIE0/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Can't believe how much people are quoting for derm charges. How do these docs sleep at night charging for something they know they can't cure.

If all they can offer is creams and UVB you could just buy your own UVB. I have a handheld unit but I rarely use it as it only will work for a while and its tedious. The plaques always come back anyway once you leave off the treatments for a while (which you have to do) and you can also burn yourself if you arent careful and attentive.

The times in my life when it cleared up it was never due to doctor prescribed treatments. I've heard of the biologicals being effective but I dont want the risks and side effects as mine is mostly moderate, unless the inverse flares up then it's total agony.

But as a lifelong sufferer, based on my own experience only, doctors and derms are useless and a waste of money for psoriasis. I would rather do anything else with my money. You wait and wait and they take your money and you end up getting your hopes up for nothing.

Only thing helps me is get proper diet, exercise, sleep and avoiding stress. it's not easy to do that all the time either and different things work for different people. But for more people it's usually removing or avoiding triggers that cause inflammation which gives improvement, not something you get prescribed. For example, if you have psoriasis and drink alcohol don't even bother going to a doctor, you're wasting your time and money, it will never go away if you are drinking any way.

Can't believe how much people are quoting for derm charges. How do these docs sleep at night charging for something they know they can't cure.

If all they can offer is creams and UVB you could just buy your own UVB. I have a handheld unit but I rarely use it as it only will work for a while and its tedious. The plaques always come back anyway once you leave off the treatments for a while (which you have to do) and you can also burn yourself if you arent careful and attentive.

The times in my life when it cleared up it was never due to doctor prescribed treatments. I've heard of the biologicals being effective but I dont want the risks and side effects as mine is mostly moderate, unless the inverse flares up then it's total agony.

But as a lifelong sufferer, based on my own experience only, doctors and derms are useless and a waste of money for psoriasis. I would rather do anything else with my money. You wait and wait and they take your money and you end up getting your hopes up for nothing.

Only thing helps me is get proper diet, exercise, sleep and avoiding stress. it's not easy to do that all the time either and different things work for different people. But for more people it's usually removing or avoiding triggers that cause inflammation which gives improvement, not something you get prescribed. For example, if you have psoriasis and drink alcohol don't even bother going to a doctor, you're wasting your time and money, it will never go away if you are drinking any way.
    It’s a small price to pay to massively improve your quality of life. I paid for 2 visits privately and then got transferred into the public system.

They offer much, much more than creams and UVB. Those are just what work for the majority of people, it didn’t for me. I’m on injections that suppress my immune systems and these cannot be prescribed by a GP. Also excessive exposure to UV light can cause skin cancer which is hard to treat but having it under the supervision of nurses in hospital manages that risk.

It took me 10 years after my diagnosis to get to biologic injections. Yes there are risks and possible side effects but it’s a case of risk v reward. I had no other options left and I have never looked back. Over those 10 years I was seeing a not very good dermatologist but my GP at the time was brilliant so I was happy for him to deal with it. Only when he moved away and my previous dermatologist had retired did I really tackle my Psoriasis properly.

There are definitely triggers that make things works but in 15 years at this point I know there’s no way I can treat myself effectively without medical intervention. I’m going though a bad period at the moment but we’ll sort that. I’ve spent a lot of doctors and consultants but now I control my Psoriasis rather than it controlling me, because I know how to property manage it. I never would without spending the money on dermatologists.

It’s no more expensive than going to see any other consultant, and it’s a price i’m happy to pay to be able to get it under control. And speaking from someone who was 80% covered, it’s under control now. Some slight blips along the way, but mostly completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭brevity

I’m happy it’s working for you but I have tried what you have tried and it never improved.

The only thing that works for me is the biologics or sun and sea. Not going to get much of the latter here so it’s the former.

Mine just seems to be getting worse and i'm getting tired putting on 3 different creams on twice a day. My arms aren't too bad but by forehead and legs and feet are bad, have a good few patches all over my body too.

• Advertisement

It really is a nightmare Bohs, it really is, i remember the absolute dose of applying cream multiple times a day.

The sooner you can get in to a dermatologist the better.

My arm with the tattoo has gone hectic the last few days, way worse than the picture I attached last week, don't know whether it's diet, exercise or change in the weather! I'd put on moisturiser and 2 minutes later it's back flaking away.

Mine just seems to be getting worse and i'm getting tired putting on 3 different creams on twice a day. My arms aren't too bad but by forehead and legs and feet are bad, have a good few patches all over my body too.
    Your going to be waiting a year to see a dermatologist going public but its the only way to get out of this cycle. That or go on a holiday.

My arm with the tattoo has gone hectic the last few days, way worse than the picture I attached last week, don't know whether it's diet, exercise or change in the weather! I'd put on moisturiser and 2 minutes later it's back flaking away.

When this happened to my tattoo, last year, i hate to say it but it never really healed properly until i started on Stealra, been fine since, but it peeled and popped daily until then.

Your going to be waiting a year to see a dermatologist going public but its the only way to get out of this cycle. That or go on a holiday.

Oh i know. At the moment all i really care about is trying get get my forehead clear. I have a wedding in Portugal in June so that gives me 2 months to try improve it, I probably won't get much sun as i am there for 3 day's.
    I am hopefully due some money soon so will be booking a holiday, a month if i can with a sun terrace so i won't have to scare others with my red patcy and scaly body.:D

When this happened to my tattoo, last year, i hate to say it but it never really healed properly until i started on Stealra, been fine since, but it peeled and popped daily until then.

Actually I didn't mention it , but now that I think of it, could be a huge effect - this day last week I had 5 cysts removed. Currently black and blue huge bruises on the arm (not tattoo arm) and chest. Trauma to the body/stress could be a factor in this.

Will see how the body heals in the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Mentioning in passing that the pollen count has been highish for the last few days ( said to be due to trees leafing )

Oh i know. At the moment all i really care about is trying get get my forehead clear. I have a wedding in Portugal in June so that gives me 2 months to try improve it, I probably won't get much sun as i am there for 3 day's.
    I am hopefully due some money soon so will be booking a holiday, a month if i can with a sun terrace so i won't have to scare others with my red patcy and scaly body.:D

Would you consider putting off the holiday and using the money to see a private dermatologist?
    Short term pain to drastically improve your quality of life.

Would you consider putting off the holiday and using the money to see a private dermatologist?
    Short term pain to drastically improve your quality of life.

What sort of money are we talking these day's ? I went private years ago and i think the consultation fee was only about €80 and i was given a prescription for meds that worked so didn't cost me a whole lot.

• Advertisement

I paid €200 for a first appointment and half price after but that was 4 years ago so other posters might have more recent experiences.
    After 2 visits private I was transferred into the public system which took about 6 weeks but that included Christmas.

Advertisement