Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Stream has arrived in Ireland

Options
  • 16-07-2023 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭

I was just browsing the Sky Ireland website and it has a banner for Sky Stream. It states to phone Sky for further information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Full details are here:

https://www.sky.com/ie/tv/stream

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭doc22

A more expensive NOW tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

€20 a month to be able to watch FTA channels and netflix hardly a bargain but it has its uses I guess where someone can't have a dish.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No it’s different, this carries your RTEs, VMTVs, BBCs, etc - Now TV is (mostly) just Sky’s own channels

Essentially this is the service that powers Sky Glass, but you bring your own TV instead of buying a new one.

It’s not just FTA channels. This is the full Sky TV package, the same one available via satellite, more or less. (Don’t expect to be able to manually tune the likes of ITV or Channel 5 with it though, it’s strictly channels that are part of the Sky TV package).

The downsides are the same as with Glass. As well as the aforementioned lack of Manual Tuning, there’s all the recording restrictions. This affects the BBC the most and the limited version of iPlayer (we are not allowed call it that!) doesn’t mitigate one bit I’m afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

It also has 4k for an extra price unke Now tv.

I wonder would it work abroad in my holiday home, probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭baz9375

I have the UK version of Sky Stream from NI. Tried this in Portugal in March, worked perfectly using UK mobile as hotspot. Can't see why Irish version wouldn't do the same with Irish mobile hotspot.

Also tried it on Portuguese wifi network - didn't work at all using that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...surely vpn would work?

...what are these services like in regards buffering/freezing etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Father-in-law has Sky Glass and has had no issues with connectivity but he does have a solid broadband connection. Only issues he has had is with the interface itself being buggy at times but has improved with updates.

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement

No discussion of circumventing regional restrictions please

is there any noticeable delay in signal, id say its next to impossible not to have some sort of delay, nature of the beast?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭cena

I don't see it saying anything about recording shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭baz9375

Haven't tried it with VPN but I know from trying VPNs in the past with Sky Go that Sky are very good at detecting VPNs.

The service is flawless and I've never has any issues with buffering/freezing - I'm on FTTH with a steady 500Mb download speed.

One thing that may be an issue for sports fans is the lag behind "live" terrestrial broadcasts - its around 30-40 seconds behind live TV (when comparing it to BBC on Freeview).

There is a slight delay yeah, I noticed it watching the football and friends whatsapping about a goal before it happened. It is only 30 seconds or so though but I'd say that will improve eventually.

I've heard Sky are making a move away from the dish altogether so it will be the standard in a few years i'd say.

...delays are just part and parcel of the business unfortunately, they ll struggle to get it below that 30 second delay, without introducing severe buffering and freezing, it will be interesting to see how it develops though....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see ad skipping is free for a year, then €6 a month. If I was shelling out for the basic package plus Sports and Sports Extra thats €60 a month, rather poor to have to pay an additional €6 a month on top.

It is a very attractive proposition for a large number of homes in Ireland.

Sure, you can use Saorview / satellite FTA / Now TV / Netflix to get close to this - but it requires effort to setup and maintain, and some expense if you don't have a dish already.

This is one simple box with and a flat cost and a combined interface.

It's streaming and catch up service only. Recording is not part of this. Besides, I think it's fair to say that a lot or people are recording less and less these days.

Not quite, there’s a Playlist feature that takes the place of recording. You add shows to your playlist but how it treats them then depends on whether the channel has catch up or not. If there’s a catch up service adding it to the playlist creates a link to the catch up service. If there is no catch up then subject to rights there is a cloud recording feature.

There is BBC catch up, but it’s limited.

This is essentially the same as Sky Glass, minus any features specifically dependant on the hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I think there is definitely a market for this even in my case I have the main TV with SkyQ 4k so that's fine but I have two other 4K TVs with no option but HD.

Now I can cancel the two SkyQ mini boxes and get Sky Stream problem solved as they have 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos - Happy days.

I never wanted Sky Glass as they are inferior TV's.

whats the problem with sky glass, doesnt sound great at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

If you have an irish account, and are looking to temporarily use it in another EU country, that should work with no need for any funny business thanks to EU rules.

If you just want a basic 4k TV and soundbar it's fine but certainly not something I would rely on for top-notch quality.

Take a read of this review

Technical specs for Sky Stream attached

Sky Glass may suit some - maybe the type of person where a TV is just a TV and they might even throw one into their trolly at Tesco?

Personally I'd rather purchase TVs from known brands where I can check reviews in advance. I'll be using it for at least 5 years so I want it to last and not annoy me with a clunky interface or be locked in to some platform.

This is why Sky Stream is more interesting, it's not locked into a specific TV.

Will be interesting to see if the live stream devices ever see themselves "jailbroken" for lack of a better word, and what that could bring. I doubt the sky streams themselves can be directly accessed considering Sky have been at that aspect for a while now but I imagine the GUI itself coming in handy if you can build dodgy IPTV streams into it.

What really annoys me about Sky's streaming service is the 1080p limit for most on demand movies. People paying serious money for old HD when every other streaming service is throwing out atmos and UHD for far less. I was recently in my wife's parents house who have Glass and noticed that the new Avatar was only available in HD, which is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You can do that but 2 of these will cost you more than the 2 mini boxes will it not?

Im not sure you even can, not sure if Sky will allow you to have Q and Stream at the same address.

Even if they do, you would have to be pretty desperate to want 4K in every room to be willing to pay two full price subscriptions instead of just getting multiroom. Especially since you’ll have to pay for Whole House (the Stream name for multiroom) anyway to have two stream boxes! There isn’t even that much 4K content to watch on it, last time I checked the only sport was Premier League and some cricket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

I know you shouldn't assume but I am assuming the channels are HD at least .. it doesn't say so on the channel list but I am sure I saw it somewhere just want to confirm.

Advertisement