Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Maryborough portlaoise ISSUES

Options
  • 06-03-2022 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

We have a deposit on a house in Maryborough Village in portlaoise a year now . We have been having serous issues with the auctioneers , lies and no communication. We have been left in the dark so long regarding completion dates . Was meant to be December 2021, then March 2022, then July 2022, told two weeks ago it was October then got a vague email saying completion “ before Christmas “ . Has anyone had issues ? What have you been told ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bluebart

Hi. I have bookeed my house around May last year. Was aslo told about finish date to be December 2021, then March 2022, then June 2022 and now December 2022. I got call from agent and she inform me that developer have issues with Irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 newtoportlaoise

It’s been quiet frustrating. I know people in Quaker’s woods had same issues. What area have you bought ? I’ve heard they are pushing us off as it’s cheaper for the developer to get more houses connected at once . It’s been going on too long now

House is located in The Courtyard part. Hard to say of this is true that they pay less for more house connected at once. As far I know Irish Water charge for connection per unit ( there is pdf file on IW website for download with instruction how to apply and with price list ).

We are beside the courtyard . Have you had much communication with the developer or estate agents !?

Just email. But some times it take them a bit of time to respond. Last week was first time agent call me when i asked why there is another completition date change. I have to go to Portlaoise to talk with school principal about my daughter and i will go to talk with site foreman as well. Thats the only way to get correct information.

• Advertisement

It’s quiet frustrating being left in the dark . Hopefully we get some solid answers and some transparency soon

Hi.

I talk with foreman around 2 weeks ago. He told me that there are few reasons why there is delay - short of workers due to Covid, materials supply delays and irish water.

Houses will be ready from september but he did say what numbers will be first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rajesh Alexander1972

Hi,

Would you mind disclosing the numbers if you do not mind? Just curious whether ours is there or not

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Flashdan

Same issues.

Paid deposit last March. Was told September 2021 then Christmas 21. Then in changed to March 22 then September 22.

We went and spoke to the Agent, Foreman and auctioneer in March.

Agent said October

Auctioneer said November

Foreman said that we would be in "by Christmas"

The foreman was very helpful, he said some of the houses would be ready on October in the estate but ours would not be.

The problem being as they have everyone over a barrel. You can pull out and they will refund you your deposit because they can now sell them for 50k more. Due to house shortages they would have no problem selling it and as prices have gone up in a year we would not get the same value for the money we put down last year.

So even if they delay it again what choice do we have? Where can you buy a 3 bed house for around 250k that has good travel links to Dublin and is a major town?

• Advertisement

Pm me and I’ll give the numbers of my house . And maybe will be there same area

• Registered Users Posts: 17 zan4ik89

Hey all, we also are waiting for the house in Maryborough. Deposit paid in August 21, John promised house to be ready in march 22, then summer 22, now it's "lucky if Jan 23"... Very stressful time, who knows what will happen in autumn this year due to a war... Hope we all will move eventually 😐

It is really stressful : what area did u buy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Lads, it’s a tactic from the builder. He wants you to pull out so they can sell for extra. They’re now building houses they quoted you for 2 years ago when materials were 30-40% less. They’re making huge losses on these new houses so there only hope is for you guys to pull out, then they re sell for 50-60k more and that’ll cover their losses. I guarantee there’ll be more delays after Christmas ‘22. The more of you that pull out, the less money the builder losses

Oh I hope that there won't be any more, rent market is also crazy at the moment 😳

Hi all! Did any one got any updates yet?

I spoke with Joe and I asked him about our house, are we still looking at Jan 23, and he told that he can't give me an answer, he sounded quite confused, so I assume it's a"no" :(

Just in cay we are waiting in dunluce, hop hill

I’ve decided to set up a group for all of us to give and get information on the new builds and start to build a community around our new homes 

Please click link 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/344859614392563/?ref=share

Ah crap, I didnt see these replies! ill get on the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Alwandy

Same .. Since May last year. Constantly pushing date. I'm at the Maltings area. Tried joining group but was rejected?

Post edited by Alwandy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

^^^ lads, I’m telling yee this is what’s going on. Get on to your solicitors

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Alwandy

Solicitor response:

Further, it is most probable that with Covid etc. they have experienced a number of difficulties with obtaining contract workers and this has delayed them. Perhaps you could update us as to what stage the house is currently at?

In relation to connections to utilities and ESB there has been a nationwide delay with ESB connecting new houses together with Irish Water. Therefore their excuse being August 2022 is something that we have heard on other building sites.

The problem with Irish Water and ESB is endemic in all 26 counties. 

Hi i was in this group and at the moment im not in it any more. Group is deleted or just me get kicked out for no reason?

The group was deleted by owner unfortunately, maybe we could create new one? It would be handy for updates and stuff 🙂

I made a new one. If the other one comes back up I'm sure we can go back to that one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1165417594332901/permalink/1165419017666092/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lroseb

Hi, just wondering if this is still an issue for everyone? Going to view the showhouse next week and possibly put down a deposit for completion end of 2023 but would be hesitant if there are ongoing issues.

I understand the price has likely gone up now at this point but interested to hear how people have found the process aside from delays? Some developments are asking for crazy deposits etc.

Any guidance greatly appreciated :)

Hi Iroseb,

Its has moved to a very strange situation.

Put it this way. I put a deposit down in March 2021. I was told Sept 2021 then delays have been going on and on etc put down to COVID

last time I was told "before Christmas" now it looks like Feb next year so that's nearly 2 years after I put a deposit down. I am also told I am "lucky" to be getting the house as so many people have been given deposits back.

It could be the same with all developments i don't know but that's my situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Annabelle2023

Hi Everyone,

Myself and my partner found this thread after another set back with our house!! Literally the exact same situation as the majority of this thread! Deposit summer of 2021, then advised to would be Feb of 2022, then they were saying “Q4 of 2022.”

Hume auctioneers told us in November that everything would be finished in January 2023. We have visited the site on numerous occasions. It was only in October that we finally got to view our home just before it was to be plastered. We recently found out that our home is still not even painted??

Has anyone moved in from this phase??? Greatly would appreciate any insight!

• Advertisement

Hi Annabelle . What area are u moving to ?

we are pretty much in the same position. No end or snag date yet we were told we were to be in December. If you would like anymore information just private message me , I know a few people waiting on these houses

Advertisement