Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BE strike [Read 1st post before posting]

Options
  • 15-03-2017 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

We can't say until the outcome of the BÉ executive meeting today is known.

The union's have said they will be on all out from the day the cuts are implemented.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Where are you going to/from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Also consider Wexford Bus if the times and the stops suit
    http://wexfordbus.com/timetables/wexford-dublin-airport/

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Airport to/from Wexford.

Yeah, wexford bus is probably your fastest option. The train is painfully slow and by the time you get to connolly you'd be on the m11 already with the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Chances are next Monday or Monday after that, reckon BE will announce cuts to commence from 27 March.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Bus Éireann management and unions may re-enter talks to resolve their industrial dispute - if unions provide clarification later today that there is scope for flexibility on certain issues including overall pay.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0315/859836-bus-eireann/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was toying with taking the Expressway up home to Donegal for paddys weekend as it's a more relaxing, let alone cheaper travel, than driving. But I can't tell if the union would suddenly go on strike and then I could possibly be stuck if relying on the more popular private busses such as McGinleys. Expressway has the advantage that on off-peak time, you can get a double seat to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I was toying with taking the Expressway up home to Donegal for paddys weekend as it's a more relaxing, let alone cheaper travel, than driving. But I can't tell if the union would suddenly go on strike and then I could possibly be stuck if relying on the more popular private busses such as McGinleys. Expressway has the advantage that on off-peak time, you can get a double seat to relax.

the staff can't suddenly go on strike. the union must give notice of intent that the staff will strike. i believe it is 7 days minimum notice required.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

the staff can't suddenly go on strike. the union must give notice of intent that the staff will strike. i believe it is 7 days minimum notice required.

You're assuming that the staff is reasonable. If BE were to announce that they were going ahead with the indicated cuts, the union has said it would result in immediate action.
    "We will of course endeavour, on behalf of commuters and our members, to work towards resolving this crisis, however, the attitude displayed by Bus Éireann management to date has left us with no option but to advise our members that they should remain on a war-footing and be prepared to engage in an immediate all-out strike, should the company plough ahead with its Irish Ferries style attack on bus workers moderate terms and conditions," said Mr O'Leary.

You're assuming that the staff is reasonable. If BE were to announce that they were going ahead with the indicated cuts, the union has said it would result in immediate action.

the union has said it would result in immediate action, but it can't result in immediate action legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Looks like BE mgmnt has taken the inevitable step...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Looks like BE mgmnt has taken the inevitable step...

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

NBRU's reaction to BE's "Declaration of War" here. Hard to tell What it Means, seems to be indicating the Strike will be Called Quickly but not that Quickly, i.e. less than 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

n97 mini wrote: »
    NBRU's reaction to BE's "Declaration of War" here. Hard to tell What it Means, seems to be indicating the Strike will be Called Quickly but not that Quickly, i.e. less than 24 hours.

Cannot understand the logic of O'Leary going into talks and not being prepared to give an inch on workers pay.

Efficiencies are one thing but they won't save 50k a day or anything near it.

For the taxpayers sake I hope Ross has the cahunas to remain clear of this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

1st think cut the top heavy management.
    2nd stop contracting out to private operators.
    3rd get rid of extremely long term sick that are never going to come back.
    4th run better manageable times that will work.
    Many many other things and also fuel savings could be increased by capping how high engine revs and correct limiters.

1st think cut the top heavy management. 2nd stop contracting out to private operators. 3rd get rid of extremely long term sick that are never going to come back. 4th run better manageable times that will work. Many many other things and also fuel savings could be increased by capping how high engine revs and correct limiters.

1. Contract everything out to private operators.
    Problem solved

• Advertisement

Problem solved

Then it will be no different then the UK which turned out to be a mess similar to the huge issues with the rail also.

Bad idea giving up or losing publicly owned industries such as transport and other issues like housing and roads.

It just makes someone richer and richer while the rest will suffer.

1st think cut the top heavy management.
    2nd stop contracting out to private operators.
    3rd get rid of extremely long term sick that are never going to come back.
    4th run better manageable times that will work.
    Many many other things and also fuel savings could be increased by capping how high engine revs and correct limiters.

That's great, but it won't solve the main problem - that is the company has too many drivers, and that these drivers are doing overtime because of inefficient rosters.

Dealing with this issue will necessitate a reduction in take home pay as it appears many BE drivers have become accustomed to getting overtime rather than considering it an occasional bonus.

Just to add, that press release is a shambles. Is there not a professional PRO in the outfit at all?

Then it will be no different then the UK which turned out to be a mess similar to the huge issues with the rail also.

It's not the same as the UK allow for unregulated routes. The PSO can be tendered out for one or multiple routes.

On many routes already there are private operators anyway but they don't have the benefit of a subsidy.
    Bad idea giving up or losing publicly owned industries such as transport and other issues like housing and roads.

Like LUAS the state could own the infrastructure but tender out for operators. The taxpayer don't have to shell out extra for the recent wage increases that their divers received.

I dont see how we are better off having BE instead of paying for private operators to provide the same service.
    It just makes someone richer and richer while the rest will suffer.

At the moment BE staff are being richer and the transport users poorer. Aer Lingus was also considered the national air transport, and now everyone is better off, staff, passengers and Michael O'Leary

Problem solved

not problem solved as the cost are likely to rise long term as each company would have separate management among other things rather then the economies of scale be currently have. punisher's suggestions are very good ones and should have been done years ago.
    It's not the same as the UK allow for unregulated routes. The PSO can be tendered out for one or multiple routes.

On many routes already there are private operators anyway but they don't have the benefit of a subsidy.

even with tendering it would be more or less the same as the uk. routes are tendered by local authorities in the uk but a huge number have gone over the years because of cost.
    Like LUAS the state could own the infrastructure but tender out for operators. The taxpayer don't have to shell out extra for the recent wage increases that their divers received.

there is no evidence for that, as the luas contract won't be up until 2019. it is possible then the payment will have to go up to reflect the wage increases.
    I dont see how we are better off having BE instead of paying for private operators to provide the same service.

because it's less costly over all. BE can keep routes going even when times are really tough, and it's politically impossible to implement large scale closures of routes which is a good thing mostly.

All out strike from midnight tonight
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0323/861984-bus-eireann/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It will be interesting to see whether going on strike will generate the money required to keep BE afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭daheff

cant understand the logic of the BE workers on this. company is about to go bust and they wont accept a pay cut to try keep it going?

I understand a pay cut on its own wont solve the problem, but it will help. I know BE has to do other things to help resolve the issue, but staff unwilling to help save their own jobs is just illogical. Do they think Ross has a money tree to help them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,262 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

7 Day Notice you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,262 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

daheff wrote: »
    cant understand the logic of the BE workers on this. company is about to go bust and they wont accept a pay cut to try keep it going?

I understand a pay cut on its own wont solve the problem, but it will help. I know BE has to do other things to help resolve the issue, but staff unwilling to help save their own jobs is just illogical. Do they think Ross has a money tree to help them out?
    Even though I'm now going to be dishing out €75 tomoro to get to town and home I'm actually glad to spend it if it means BE goes bust and these moronic strikers go to the dole. They do annual strikes at this stage. They clearly dont want to work just complain and get extremely good pay. Just sick to death of them holding the country to ransom.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    7 Day Notice you say?

Notice was already given and only postponed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement