Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit: The Last Stand (No name calling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Peregrine wrote: »
    Play nice.

Old thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057613669

If you were banned from posting in the old thread, you're still banned from posting in this thread.
    Good luck with that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

U locked mah threeeeeeeeead! :D
    What's the point in having a referendum if your just going to ignore the results

They fought a somewhat disastrous wars to bring democracy to the middle East....but will ignore it at home

Lets be clear here if the referendum was based on sound fact's from both sides it wouldn't be an issue but the fact is it was barely carried and alot of it was due to misinformation and because it was more seen as a protest vote as well. There's also the fact that the vote itself was deeply divisive across generations and territories and its a complete mess. The whole thing only started because it was the damn tories being stupid in the first place and blaming Europe for their own inadequacies. Now they risk the UK breaking up in the next decade because of it.

The only thing that might save them is if it's decided that parliament has to vote on triggering it and if things get bad enough beforehand there might be enough pressure on the MPs and enough shift in public opinion to basically say "screw this" and call it quits on this. The fall in the £ and the risk of prices rising across the board and job losses can swing things very quickly if it bites hard enough.

As for the middle east dont make anyone laugh that whole region is a cesspool filled with ignorance stupidity and Darwin Award State, they didnt exactly bring much democracy there only blew open pent up frustrastions. Russia and 'Murica aint making things any better but the place is a dump as it and it'll take a century or more or a nuclear war before they wise up and realise how stupid they are. Once the oil dries up out there they're screwed big time all that bad karma will come back to bite em.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I can't believe it's not brexit

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Infini2 wrote: »
    U locked mah threeeeeeeeead! :D

Dey tuk ar threds!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

but you'll never take their freedom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looking at the coverage of the UK government briefing on Brexit, it looks like the penny is starting to stop (and not just in value!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I missed the first thread so apologises if this has already been discussed but something I'm interested in is if there is any likelihood of another referendum being called in the UK instead of the Britex process being triggered officially? Has there been any talk of that?

I only ask based on previous votes in Ireland such as the Nice or Lisbon treaty where by a referendum was run a second time and the people changed their mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Brexit v2?

Could we not call it 'The Brexiting'

• Registered Users Posts: 66,874 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I missed the first thread so apologises if this has already been discussed but something I'm interested in is if there is any likelihood of another referendum being called in the UK instead of the Britex process being triggered officially? Has there been any talk of that?

I only ask based on previous votes in Ireland such as the Nice or Lisbon treaty where by a referendum was run a second time and the people changed their mind.

It has been suggested and ruled out by May.
    Personally I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Hopefully it won't harm the British economy too much because it'll be bad for all of us if it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hopefully it won't harm the British economy too much because it'll be bad for all of us if it does.

It will harm us either way I think. Hopefully lessons will be learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

being politically attached to Britain was a disaster for us. brexit is the heave we need to break the lure of that easy market.

It would be wrong to waste a good crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Brexit v2?

Could we not call it 'The Brexiting'

Brexit Harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

catbear

Why would a small open economy wilfully decide to reject an English speaking economy of 62 million poeple right next door?

catbear wrote: »
    being politically attached to Britain was a disaster for us. brexit is the heave we need to break the lure of that easy market.

A Britain going it alone will be more susceptible to boom and bust.
    You are right we should start seeking to end us catching a cold every time it sneezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

We're going to trade with a market of +60m people, only a few miles across the sea, one way or another. To think that we could avoid it is unrealistic.

More like "The Brexit saga - series II".

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Brexit Harder

Next one will be Brexit with a Vengeance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Brexit Boogaloo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If we ever reach a good day to brexit hard I think I may just leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Thread title had me hoping they decided to leave the UN.

I am disappoint.

Interesting point by Naomi Long on Spotlight, no secretary of state on the cabinet Brexit Committee.
    Looks like it's gonna be like it or lump it come decision time. Whatever about NI, it seems impossible to avoid annoying the Scots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

We're going to trade with a market of +60m people, only a few miles across the sea, one way or another. To think that we could avoid it is unrealistic.
    We actually trade more with the EU and also globally than we do with the UK.

Anyway how
    Brexit II, the Empire Strikes Back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

The Brexit Chainsaw Massacree!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

It will be interesting to see what the High Court and Supreme Courts rule on May's authority to trigger Article 50 without the consent of Parliament.

It could be what undoes this omni-shambles of a mess.

With any luck. Parliament will get their say surely, and if they do there must be a growing realisation there of what a complete cluster fxxx this really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

saving nice bobs on a car from the UK soon. And this Xmas should be sweet with sterling getting weaker. Enjoying Brexit so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

BrexIn the Next Generation

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Legally such a thing would be possible. Politically, however, it's a non-starter. If political circumstances change it could happen in the future, but I really don't think we're talking about the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

catbear

Why would a small open economy wilfully decide to reject an English speaking economy of 62 million poeple right next door?
    It's they who are dong the rejecting, surely? Right now they're in a single market with (among others ) us, and they want out. That's unfortunate for us, but we can't actually stop them leaving.

Should we leave with them, in the hope that they'll set up new single market with just little old us? No, that would be silly. Why leave an actual single market with 450 million people in it in the hope of possibly getting a single market with just 70 million people in it?

Harry, send me your next month's paycheck, and if I like you there's a good chance that I'll send you back about 13% of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement