Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Votes to leave EU

• 24-06-2016 6:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Great news IMO ,Hopefully we join them along with others in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Can't believe it. Irish, living in England, voted remain. Starting a new job Monday.

Seriously questioning my decision now... Return to Ireland is back on the table. For me anyway. This country is so divided and ugly in many ways.

I just feel sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

Wow, didn't think they d win. Something is wrong with EU . Scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sterling falls through the floor. Yep. Great news for UK with an economic recession literally overnight.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

We'd be absolutely stupid to do the same thing!
    I really can't believe they were actually foolish enough to vote leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Why exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Ireland leaving the EU would be worse than stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

ruahead wrote: »

Yes something is wrong with EU .They no longer listen to the people only to big business and vested interests that use scare mongering to get their own way.And ignore democratic votes ,and call for a revote if they don't go the way they want them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Inda won't be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

ruahead wrote: »

Sentiment towards it is definitely changing across the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

When the markets open......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

They will
    Just have to vote again to get the correct answer isn't that how this works :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Start shopping on amazon now....

Sterling falls through the floor. Yep. Great news for UK with an economic recession literally overnight.
    Gamblers taking their winnings & investors dumping sterling & snatching back their money.
    Once the dust settles they'll be back to buy back what they just dumped for less than they got when they sold.

The next recession is already baked into the mix, the brexit vote won't change anything.

When the markets open......
    SELL!, SELL!, SELL!, SELL!,

buy.

Very poor turnout in London and Norn Iron..

Very poor turnout in London and Norn Iron..
    It seems that in areas of England that have a large English population, the Leave vote was higher than other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Was it ever going to be any other way?

Britians situation in the EU had become untenable.

Angela Merkal has only herself to blame.

With any luck more countries will follow suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Speculators. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Big boys kickstart a sale with some of their money. (Still more than most will see in their lives)
    Everybody panicks and loads of stuff is sold for feck all.
    Big boys start buying stuff back at the lower price, "creating demand", raising the value.
    Big boys sell off some of their gains, having made many millions in profits.

Happens the whole time :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

This is a great day, can our CS and pols now stand up for us too or are they truly The EU's bitches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Political earthquake, I not surprised as talking to literary hundreds of English people this year and the majority wanted out, Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to stay in, Wonder what happens there ?

And of the markets will be all over the place but they will settle down, border posts back up in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Got to admire the leavers. They decided that being governed by unelected burecrats in Brussels dictating ridiculous and punitive regulations with threats etc .......they had enough. The fast track that Germany is granting Turkey entry .....ffs Turkey has shag all to offer the Eu. Sovereignty is all a country has . The eec originally was to allow free trade, ease of travel, not as a central dictate.

Got to admire the leavers. They decided that being governed by unelected burecrats in Brussels dictating ridiculous and punitive regulations with threats etc .......they had enough. The fast track that Germany is granting Turkey entry .....ffs Turkey has shag all to offer the Eu. Sovereignty is all a country has . The eec originally was to allow free trade, ease of travel, not as a central dictate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Political earthquake, I not surprised as talking to literary hundreds of English people this year and the majority wanted out, Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to stay in, Wonder what happens there ?

Scotland had their chance and they didnt take it... they wanted to remain in the uk... the uk has spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Does this mean we can buy stuff from Amazon again?

tharmor wrote: »

Great deal on exchange for a car purchase= instant discount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Stig Inge

Got to admire them leavers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

And of the markets will be all over the place but they will settle down, border posts back up in Ireland.

With any luck it'll be the death of the United Kingdom.

You can bet that Soros will be in the middle of it...AGAIN

NikoTopps wrote: »
    With any luck it'll be the death of the United Kingdom.

*'They're so disgustingly racist, wanting to control immigration!'
    *I really hope the UK collapses and everyone in there (which would include immigrants there already) goes through untold misery...'

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1100248/images/o-FARAGE-facebook.jpg

• Advertisement

The greedy, Nazi collaborating pig collapsed the UK pound before. I'm sure he'll find a way to do it again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I never actually believed there were so many idiots in the UK, but there clearly are.

*'They're so disgustingly racist, wanting to control immigration!'
    *I really hope the UK collapses and everyone in there (which would include immigrants there already) goes through untold misery...'

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1100248/images/o-FARAGE-facebook.jpg

I believe Scotland should be its own country and Ireland should be United as one, hence my distaste for the United Kingdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

can we come too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭thomasj

Calling the breakup of the UK. Heard an interesting programme the other day saying london would go for independence in the next decade or so. Could be sooner based on brexit.

I can see Scotland getting their second chance and taking it and maybe the north pulling out too.

He probably has his finger on the "buy" button waiting for when he thinks it's hit bottom.

• Advertisement

ectoraige wrote: »
    I never actually believed there were so many idiots in the UK, but there clearly are.
    It seems that the EU propaganda machine has successfully got people to believe that the only way is the EU way.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

ectoraige wrote: »
    Idiots ? People who don't like being told what to do and who are brave enough to stand up for themselves ?

Best of all is the Brits can tell the Eu to solve the carbon tax another stupid laws up their arses,

Enda has called an emergency meeting according to skynews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,192 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

So how long now until war is declared.

• Advertisement

tharmor wrote: »

I'd imagine the euro will sink too?

Enda has called an emergency meeting according to skynews

Yeah, meeting is around half 7 according to the Indo.

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Yeah, meeting is around half 7 according to the Indo.

Early start for him

R7SGGpU.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Wow, I just mean Wow, how did that happen!

It's like Scary, Amazing, Dangerous, Unknown, Destructive, Liberating, Fantastic, Polarising and Crazy all at the same time!

We have never witnessed anything like this before (Big country exits the EU).

Sooooo many questions re our relationship the the UK re trade, citizenship, tariffs, import duty, export duty (and the resurgence of the New/old Land border) between the ROI and the United Kingdom!!!

I'm stunned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I'd imagine the euro will sink too?

Why will the euro sink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have to admit, I woke up half an hour ago and I'm very surprised to hear that it's Leave - but then again, I'm sorta not.

This is the latest backlash against what has been an increasingly undemocratic and unrepresentative EU over the last few years, and how this has spilled over into individual member states with the rise of far-left and right parties in general elections.
    Ordinary people have been increasingly marginalised in favour of the interests of politicians and corporates, and issues like how the financial crisis in Greece and the "refugee" situation in the Med have been dealt with have not gone unnoticed with the EU (and most notably Germany) throwing its weight around to force policy on those States - policy which itself has been made up as it goes along regardless of any "rules".

Lot of questions now really...

- This is a serious blow to the EU IMO and its "Federal Superstate" notions. The reality is that an increasing number of its citizens don't want any part of that and want the ability to control the destiny of their own Governments and homelands back.
    This should serve as a serious wake-up call to those bureaucrats and officials in the EU and the ideal situation would be that it prompts a serious reexamination and discussion of the direction and ethos of this supposed Union. Personally my preference would be a return to a EEC trade bloc arrangement without the USofE notions

- What next for the UK? With Scotland and Northern Ireland having voted to remain, and many Scots already wanting to leave the UK, will it trigger another referendum there? Could they and NI go it alone, or come to some sort of deal with ROI/Europe seperately?

- And what will happen here? With such a weak Government made up of pro-EU sycophants like Enda Kenny, will we take a position in Ireland's best interests here, or will we just simply do what we're told (as usual).

Interesting times ahead to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

There are going to be a lot of confused and angry Fenians waking up in Norn Iron this morning when they realise Brits Out doesn't mean what they want it to mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Fair fcuks to them

EU and Ireland will have to accept the vote....people have spoken :)

Really didn't think they would!!
    But any word on the way Scotland voted (aswell as the North)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Fair fcuks to them

EU and Ireland will have to accept the vote....people have spoken :)

Really didn't think they would!!
    But any word on the way Scotland voted (aswell as the North)

Approximately half the people (of the UK) have spoken against Europe...

Scotland, London, and Northern Ireland voted to stay within the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gamblers taking their winnings & investors dumping sterling & snatching back their money.
    Once the dust settles they'll be back to buy back what they just dumped for less than they got when they sold.

The next recession is already baked into the mix, the brexit vote won't change anything.

It just did. Sterling is at it's most volatile in modern history.

http://news.sky.com/story/1716537/sterlings-most-volatile-day-in-modern-history

You can't just dismiss this if nothing is going to happen. The UK and Irish economies are about to goto into tailspins.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement