Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Votes to leave EU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I hate to tell you but Brexit is not going to be the economic train wreck you hope it will be.

I don't hope it is a train wreck as I work here. I have a lot of good friends here too. I have a lot of sympathy for what the UK's going through now. I can understand gloating at brexitiers but I have zero desire to see the worst off in the country suffer. I think people like Boris lied to people.

He took advantage of angry people. People who have less than a hundred in their account left by the end of the month. They, rightfully angry, voted against an establishment and eejits like me didn't think it would happen.

I disagree with some of the past actions of the UK but I haven't had a bad word said against me since I got here. Just because I disagree with things in the North ect doesn't mean I hate anyone. I lived in poverty for years and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I don't hope for a recession but I think a hard Brexit will lead to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I'm not interested in discussing politics with you because I find your posts needlessly aggressive and negative. Please don't reply to my posts in future. I've never added anyone to ignore and I don't want to start now.

After reading this I'm not entirely convinced you understand the nature of a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Theres one option of course that could end this whole debacle: If it takes parliment to block it theres a good chance they could do so. Besides the fact the referendum wasnt binding alot of the arguments for leave are turning out to be flawed. May might have done good by waiting till March before doing anything because:

1) It gives time for legal arguments to be hammered out and
    2) More of the stuff that the "leave" campaign campaigned on is turning out to be inaccurate or downright lies.

Throw in more economic chaos caused by a plunging pound and given enough time it could be enough to undermine the Brexiteers entirely and if Ultimately its parliment that has to vote on triggering Brexit enough amunition to stand up and say "look if we do this its economic suicide".

Personally I would love to see this happen not only because it would at least avoid the massive damage that would come with withdrawing and at least give the brits a chance to dodge the bullet but it would be epic punch in that gobshyte's punchable face Farage who pretty much talked bull**** and hoodwinked angry people into voting for something that ultimately will make them worse off. It would also serve as a bloody warning for the EU to shape up and get some cop on and sense and fix their instiutions before they completely fall apart from their own arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

karma_ wrote: »
    After reading this I'm not entirely convinced you understand the nature of a public forum.

A public forum is not a platform for you to post abuse at other other posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Infini2 wrote: »
    Theres one option of course that could end this whole debacle: If it takes parliment to block it theres a good chance they could do so. Besides the fact the referendum wasnt binding alot of the arguments for leave are turning out to be flawed. May might have done good by waiting till March before doing anything because:

1) It gives time for legal arguments to be hammered out and
    2) More of the stuff that the "leave" campaign campaigned on is turning out to be inaccurate or downright lies.

Throw in more economic chaos caused by a plunging pound and given enough time it could be enough to undermine the Brexiteers entirely and if Ultimately its parliment that has to vote on triggering Brexit enough amunition to stand up and say "look if we do this its economic suicide".

Personally I would love to see this happen not only because it would at least avoid the massive damage that would come with withdrawing and at least give the brits a chance to dodge the bullet but it would be epic punch in that gobshyte's punchable face Farage who pretty much talked bull**** and hoodwinked angry people into voting for something that ultimately will make them worse off. It would also serve as a bloody warning for the EU to shape up and get some cop on and sense and fix their instiutions before they completely fall apart from their own arrogance.

What's the point in having a referendum if your just going to ignore the results

They fought a somewhat disastrous wars to bring democracy to the middle East....but will ignore it at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Oireachtas committee about Brexit and Trade on now (Room 2)

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/watchlisten/watchlive/allcommittees/

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

A public forum is not a platform for you to post abuse at other other posters.
    You're in the wrong forum for serious discussion about Brexit, this is afterhours where the main focus is sadistic flagellation.

Try the economics or current affairs forums.

How can Ireland minimise economic damage after Brexit?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Continue increasing our global presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,050 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think if Britain goes for Art 50 then we have a decision to make.
    Are we gonna sit on the fence wait for what whatever happens or are we going to actively try and capitalise and attract some of those who will be looking elsewhere.

And if we believe in a UI then we have to start working towards one practically.
    We cannot let the progress made slide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

catbear wrote: »
    Continue increasing our global presence.

Diaspora?

Diaspora?

Well it worked for me.

Export more to Europe.....possibly subsidise ferries.

Failing that force through special conditions of travel for Irish goods through the UK...IE...no taxes.etc for goods to pass through on way to Europe

Make this a precondition of negotiating with the EU for a trade deal???

And if we believe in a UI then we have to start working towards one practically.
    We cannot let the progress made slide.
    The important thing though is that we kept up our end of the GFA, it's perfidious albion letting that show down.

Our own economic growth must come first, a UI would be welcome but we can't let it happen whereby the UK simply offload a liability. There has to be consent on all sides and while an all-island forum keeps the door open nothing really can start happening until brexit is completed.

Failing that force through special conditions of travel for Irish goods through the UK...IE...no taxes.etc for goods to pass through on way to Europe

Good points. Needing bigger boats was one of my first thoughts. Expansion of Rosslaire and Cork, Limerick even?

Good points. Needing bigger boats was one of my first thoughts. Expansion of Rosslaire and Cork, Limerick even?

There's also a possibility of larger airplanes...cargo type.....though government subsidy...though how close this runs to competiton laws is???

There's also a massive port in believe.... massively under utilised....mainly for milk powder...but afaik publicly owned

Good points. Needing bigger boats was one of my first thoughts

I'm not sure Shark fishing is the key to economic success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I guess you dont though. There are opportunities for the republic to it should make a big push for relocating banks and european HQs of multinational, but it will be hard for you to offset the losses that the trade decrease with the independent UK will cost.

I guess you dont though. There are opportunities for the republic to it should make a big push for relocating banks and european HQs of multinational, but it will be hard for you to offset the losses that the trade decrease with the independent UK will cost.

Where are these people from these banks etc going to live???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

only one carrier is ever going to be in use at any one time and the Royal anvy has enough ships to cover it.
    A pair may not be enough for independent policy. They sold the Harriers to the USMC for half nothing. It'll be years before the F35 will be flying from the carriers.

The Royal Navy has four missile subs to be sure that one can be on patrol at any time since another could in port, another undergoing routine maintenance and the fourth on a major refit like refuelling the reactor or upgrading weapons or systems.

The French have four missile subs too for the same reason. And like the UK they are very quiet and difficult to detect.

And of course it's probable each country could depend on the other.

However,in an face palm of epic proportions back in Feb 2009 HMS Vanguard and Le Triomphant collided and had to return to port. No casualties except perhaps the myth that four subs is enough to guarantee one will always be on station.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/7892294.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

First Up wrote: »
    Predicting something is not the same as wishing for it but I also expect to see a gradual decline in Britain's prosperity and global standing.

I make no apology for the satisfaction I will take for being proved right but that is more than outweighed by regret over the damage this idiotic decision will do.

Yes, they maybe, even will most likely be a decline in Britain's prosperity and global standing. But what of it ? Why are people always judging the democratic will of the British people as if they have shot themselves in the foot and the only thing of concern in such a decision should be economics. This is NOT what the referendum was about. Outsiders, criticising it on this, are missing the point completely. There will be no great credit going to you for being 'prooved right' - every dog in the street knows there will be a price to pay. But a price worth paying to take back control. Britain knows this. Respect the decision, and come down from your condescending high horse.

There's also a possibility of larger airplanes...cargo type.....though government subsidy...though how close this runs to competiton laws is???

There's also a massive port in believe.... massively under utilised....mainly for milk powder...but afaik publicly owned
    Milk powder is already traded seasonally with new zealand, same milking stock, similar grass conditions. Combined I believe together Ireland and New Zealand share 40% of the global baby formula market.

If direct trade with the continent increases then shipping shouldn't need any incentives.

now the biggy. Changing the side of the road we drive on. Thoughts?

A pair may not be enough for independent policy. They sold the Harriers to the USMC for half nothing. It'll be years before the F35 will be flying from the carriers.

The Royal Navy has four missile subs to be sure that one can be on patrol at any time since another could in port, another undergoing routine maintenance and the fourth on a major refit like refuelling the reactor or upgrading weapons or systems.

The French have four missile subs too for the same reason. And like the UK they are very quiet and difficult to detect.

And of course it's probable each country could depend on the other.

However,in an face palm of epic proportions back in Feb 2009 HMS Vanguard and Le Triomphant collided and had to return to port. No casualties except perhaps the myth that four subs is enough to guarantee one will always be on station.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/7892294.stm

Four aircraft carriers? I think that's a bit ott.

The French are taking theirs out of service next year for a two year refit, I'm sure they will be safe in the meantime.

Actually, the Royal Navy could build four and lend two to catbear for all his exports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

In the link I provided above the IDA were explaining just that to the Oireachtas committee.

They've been consciously directing indigenous business's to export further afield than the UK, since the crash. Not as an effort to snub the UK but so that all out eggs are not in one basket so to speak. If I recall what they said correctly, they stated that while exports to the UK have increased since then, the overall proportion of exports to the UK has dropped.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yes, they maybe, even will most likely be a decline in Britain's prosperity and global standing. But what of it ? Why are people always judging the democratic will of the British people as if they have shot themselves in the foot and the only thing of concern in such a decision should be economics. This is NOT what the referendum was about. Outsiders, criticising it on this, are missing the point completely. There will be no great credit going to you for being 'prooved right' - every dog in the street knows there will be a price to pay. But a price worth paying to take back control. Britain knows this. Respect the decision, and come down from your condescending high horse.

Except what your saying is untrue. There were multiple reasons including 350 million for the NHS, and control of immigration etc. Promises of freedom to make trade deals with the whole world and as such more money for the economy.

You have rewritten history to suit yourself. Fact is people had many different reasons. Things start to go side ways and you rewrite history and hopes no one notices. It certainly a blood strategy, if ultimately futile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

now the biggy. Changing the side of the road we drive on. Thoughts?

Great idea. Danny Healy Rae proposed that we just drive down the middle of the road as an interim measure for a few weeks until we got used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Illegal under WTO.
    Already exists. Bonded trade is common.
    We are not negotiating with the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

First Up wrote: »
    We are not negotiating with the EU.
    They may tell us every visitor from the UK has to have a visa, cost €50.;)
    Ah well, we wanted out independence, shure we may as well pay for it.

And we will need a visa to pass through N. Ireland on the way to north Donegal (from Dublin) if we want to take the most direct route. And people wanting abortions in England will end up having to get a visa.

wes wrote: »
    Except what your saying is untrue. There were multiple reasons including 350 million for the NHS, and control of immigration etc. Promises of freedom to make trade deals with the whole world and as such more money for the economy.

You have rewritten history to suit yourself. Fact is people had many different reasons. Things start to go side ways and you rewrite history and hopes no one notices. It certainly a blood strategy, if ultimately futile.

just before Brexit, there was an article in the Guardian from a typical middle class wealthy liberal guardian type, who was saying that she was treated as a pariah amongst her peers because she was voted to leave the eu.

Her reason, was that whilst everyone is PC and in to employing the local Polish builder because he's good and not only that, is a lot cheaper than the British, no one actually stops to think how the British builder is actually doing. She then went on to talk about self employed trades people saying how they had seen their rates reduced enormously over the last few years due to cheaper labour coming in to the market.

This article seems to reflect that. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37678065

Maybe, a lot of the Brexit vote wasn't so much xenophobic, just self preservation. If you were earning less now than in 1995 and you were given a potential way to address that, would you take it?

• Advertisement

maryishere wrote: »
    They may tell us every visitor from the UK has to have a visa, cost €50.;)
    Ah well, we wanted out independence, shure we may as well pay for it.

I see no problem with this....except visitor from the north as their irish and can have an Irish passport

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement