Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Bambi wrote: »
    Is that not Fantomas?

There has to be at 4-5 bjj venues around parnell square now so

Nope, i train there so im pretty sure thats where it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Moved to Parnell Street. Just across the road from the Parnell St entrance to the Ilac centre.

Im feeling good today. I managed to hit a bunch of sweeps that actually worked last night, (i looked them up on youtube the night before lol..some ankle picks when starting on the knees, and hit another guy with the "idiot trip"), landed my first ever submissions too. Americana and an armbar. Normally i'm the one getting rekt every class, and im sure next class ill be getting smashed again but its good to know not everything i do is totally useless.

I know how you feel! Landed armbars against 3 of the guys who have been training since March of last year, I started in January this year! Usually i'm caught in every variation of a choke I know but not last night :) Although next Monday i'll probably be absolutely destroyed again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

TheSegal wrote: »
    I know how you feel! Landed armbars against 3 of the guys who have been training since March of last year, I started in January this year! Usually i'm caught in every variation of a choke I know but not last night :) Although next Monday i'll probably be absolutely destroyed again...

Congrats man, enjoy it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

1st class back in a few weeks ( I hurt my ankle kickboxing and have been resting it as much as possible) the ankle held up just about. Didn't do much rolling but seen as a I missed a few weeks I was just glad to be back on the mats

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

I have sprained my baby toe two days ago.. didnt get stuck in the mats, I just went funny on it.. how long does it take to heal up? Its quite bruised but not really swollen and I can move it about can only bend it to a certain angle and I feels the pain.. any of ye do major damage to the digits?

• Advertisement

I have sprained my baby toe two days ago.. didnt get stuck in the mats, I just went funny on it.. how long does it take to heal up? Its quite bruised but not really swollen and I can move it about can only bend it to a certain angle and I feels the pain.. any of ye do major damage to the digits?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Went to my first ever class in ECJJA on Tuesday. Loved it. We were shown a cross collar GI choke and an armbar from mount. Wouldn't be the most athletic man on earth, so it was akin to trying to speak a different language.

The sparring at the end was a different type of exhausted. Generally speaking, if exercise beats me I can put the weights down, or stop running. I've never been absolutely bolloxed with some other chap on top of me with bad intentions.

All in all, loved it. Definitely going back. Only concern is my absolute novice status with any sort if athletic endeavor. Anyone one here start from absolute zero?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm doing it 8 months now, absolute zero exercise or martial arts experience before starting it but the fitness definitely comes. It's a mixture of getting fitter but also relaxing more in sparring. Adrenaline tells you go hell for leather as the other new guy most likely is as well but you eventually start to relax in positions and try technique instead of powering through moves. It's so easy to burn yourself out where you get to a point that all you can do is lie there waiting to be subbed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Zero-cool hits the nail on the head. Learning to relax is a big thing especially if you're unfit starting off.

I started out very overweight and with zero cardio. It really is a skill in itself to learn to relax and not go hell for leather constantly as you just burn out whatever cardio you have.

I'd be holding grips with my coach, just grips in standing position, and he'd tell me off for being too tensed up!

I've been going to BJJ for about a year, but only fairly regular for about 9 months with a 3 month break in the middle due to injury (torn QL) and holidays etc. I love it.

You really need to get there regularly to actually learn and improve and reach the stage where you do the right things without even thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Back in to it after a few months off. Jesus found it tough. People who I was beating or giving a good fight to are now absoltely smoking me. I'm delighted they, people who I'd consider my friends, stuck at it and improved their game. Just wondering though what's the best way to improve stamina when rolling? Is it time on the mats rolling? Would a jog twice a week or whatever mean I'm burnout on the mats or would that help too?

Would ideally love to do 4*3 minute rounds with about 2-3 minutes of in between

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

BOHtox wrote: »
    Back in to it after a few months off. Jesus found it tough. People who I was beating or giving a good fight to are now absoltely smoking me. I'm delighted they, people who I'd consider my friends, stuck at it and improved their game. Just wondering though what's the best way to improve stamina when rolling? Is it time on the mats rolling? Would a jog twice a week or whatever mean I'm burnout on the mats or would that help too?

Would ideally love to do 4*3 minute rounds with about 2-3 minutes of in between

Roll, roll and more rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 39,036 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gordon Ryan is really really good at Ashi/SLX and the log lock game.
    Why would you put your hips anywhere near his hips, when it's clearly what he wants.

BOHtox wrote: »
    Just wondering though what's the best way to improve stamina when rolling? Is it time on the mats rolling? Would a jog twice a week or whatever mean I'm burnout on the mats or would that help too?
    Some people talking about need specific fitness. ie BJJ fitness, running fitness, swimming fitness, etc. That they are able to go for longer because they've trained that specific fitness, rather than general cardio fitness. But I'm not a big subscriber to that theory tbh.
    Your muscles/heart/lungs don't know what activity you are doing. You don't get to tap into a latent endurance reserve for certain sports. But people see otherwise "fit" people getting smoked when trying BJJ/swimming/cycling etc so that buy into it.

I see it as a product of your general cardiovascular fitness, and your ability to do the activity. The fit newbie who runs 10km every sunday is gasping after a 5 min roll because, he is simply not that good at jiu jitsu. Every movement is inefficent, he wasting energy and tire out faster than his opponent. Similarly, the overweight purple belt, who does no cardio ever can roll all day - because he is way more efficient.

If the output is the product of those two aspects, then you'll improve fastest by working on both aspects. Roll more, do more jiu jitsu to improve your technical output, and work on you cardio/fitness to improve your physical outpu. Goes without saying that everyone can always improve the technical side, but there are probably diminishing returns of the cardio side. Once it's at a decent level you are fine, no point taking away from other training to develop olympic level cardio.

TL;DR
    Train more jiu jitsu to move better. Work on your cardio separately if you feel your fitness has fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mellor wrote: »
    Gordon Ryan is really really good at Ashi/SLX and the log lock game.
    Why would you put your hips anywhere near his hips, when it's clearly what he wants.

Did he bait yer man by actual giving him full mount?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm finding some improvement in my game just by getting in twice a week and rolling more. But my overall fitness is still terrible. It has improved from rolling of course but I'm also trying to get some running and swimming done to improve my overall fitness and reduce weight.

Hopefully they will be mutually beneficial.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Did he bait yer man by actual giving him full mount?

Pretty much. It was an escape to SLX. And he's one of Danaher/Renzo's top guys, and they renown for their SLX/Heel Hook game.

He could have pulled guard, worked to that position and got the same finish. But'd he'd have faced lots of resistence. In the above the other guy got into position for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Joey mofukin Diaz just earned his Blue Belt.

What a hero!!!

coco.png?resize=696%2C419&ssl=1

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/3-years-joey-diaz-earned-blue-belt/

Makikomi, who says judoka can't fight on the ground!

Here's some cool Newaza from the Olympics.

https://twitter.com/dps831/status/762104345475227650/video/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mellor wrote: »
    Makikomi, who says judoka can't fight on the ground!

Here's some cool Newaza from the Olympics.

https://twitter.com/dps831/status/762104345475227650/video/1

Of the four ways to win a Judo fight, three are on the ground ~ chokes/strangles, hold down & joint locks.

• Advertisement

Gordan Ryan vrs Keenan sub-only, no time limit match from the weeked.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/d0bu.mp4

It lasted
    nearly 90 minutes
    The winner was
    Gordon Ryan by Heelhook after 90 mins. This kid is so legit its insane. Keenan was a nogi world champ and many people thought Gordon had yet to face anyone on Keenan's level. He just relentlessly imposed his leglock game on him. Very impressed. Danaher's system continues to impress.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭don corleone

I took up training about a month ago in Jorge Santos gym. Im 29, and coming from a GAA background so its totally new to me. I find the coaches at JS extremely welcoming and informative. Im very early into BJJ and I am finding it an amazingly interesting experience so far. I would consider myself reasonably fit having played GAA at senior level for 11 years now. One thing I found was I have absolutely s*** flexibility, even doing simple roll and escape techniques. I have even seen slight improvements in them which is great.

Funny a lot of people are worried about their age when starting 'late'. I had convinced myself at 28 I missed the boat for any form of martial arts. It was only when I looked into it properly, particularly BJJ, that I realised I could still give it a go. Threads like these are a great source of information for people stepping into an unknown alone and probably do as much as anyone/anything to encourage people to join up.

This thread is currently has the 4th most posts and views.
    Definitely a good move to keep it all together

Gordon Ryan calls out the entire Marcelo Dream Team.
    Proposed back to back no time limit, sub only, challenge match

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=894444007366047&set=a.105172899626499.8397.100004013685037&type=3&theater

New guy started training where I train, he was training somewhere else before hand but im sure his motto is make them tap anyway possible.. he throws everything into the sub and today he grabed my leg and bent the siht out of it, the damage was done before I could respond with a scream or tap... it wasnt even on the toes or achilies like a normal leg lock is,, it was high on the calf.. he has been told to calm down only last week.. how is someone like this delt with?

New guy started training where I train, he was training somewhere else before hand but im sure his motto is make them tap anyway possible.. he throws everything into the sub and today he grabed my leg and bent the siht out of it, the damage was done before I could respond with a scream or tap... it wasnt even on the toes or achilies like a normal leg lock is,, it was high on the calf.. he has been told to calm down only last week.. how is someone like this delt with?
    Did he grab it like a normal Footlock and went nuts?
    Or was it pulling the leg down with his shin behind?

He's just being a dick to be honest. He might not realise it. The old school way of dealing with it would be a gym enforcer type tying smashing him until he rolls lighter.

It wasnt like the normal position for a leg lock. He just grabed it and fell back and went full strength, and to make it worse he is a big strong guy, def over 95 kg.. I was limping of the mat coz my calf was in bits.. I def wont be rolling with him again..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,818 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It wasnt like the normal position for a leg lock. He just grabed it and fell back and went full strength, and to make it worse he is a big strong guy, def over 95 kg.. I was limping of the mat coz my calf was in bits.. I def wont be rolling with him again..

Sounds more like a calf slicer rather than a leg lock. Nasty feckers they are.

Best bet would be some of the higher level/coach guys rolling with him and just tying with him for a few sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

I def wont be rolling with him again..

Problem solved, tell your instructor so they know not to pair you up. If a few people do the same he'll either change his ways to have someone to train with, or leave for somewhere that's a better fit.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Sounds more like a calf slicer rather than a leg lock. Nasty feckers they are.
    That's what I was thinking too.
    Not a sub you should crank hard. And not one guys should be playing with some sort of understanding.

Advertisement