Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stop, Search, Seize (Sky1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

The customs officer made no allowance whatsoever for the fact that the guys first language was not English and secondly that his own "Flurry" of words were spoken so fast that even an Irish person would have to ask what was the question again. He needs to relax a bit in my opinion.
    Far too much arrogance in his approach and he has a bad attitude himself. It was very obvious that he deliberately tried to make the passenger look small and the officers demeanour would make anyone feel as if they were trying to hide something -which was not the case in this instance, much to the officers disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

I agree 100%, that Cogavin guy is a terrible representative for this country. I was angry at the way he treated the Dutch kid.
    He should be ashamed treating visitors in that aggressive, arrogant, patronising manner. If I managed him he would be slapped back to a position whereby he doesn't deal face to face with non nationals. I'm sure he's an OK guy and maybe the camera being on him highlighted his communications weaknesses but Jesus man, get a grip. He acted like a school ground bully with the Dutch guys belonging's and the little grin to say yes I have nothing on you but I am going to waste more of your time. Total arse.
    His line of questioning is ridiculous. His suspicion based on the fact the traveller was Dutch and used differing airports...... do your job, find what you're looking for or not, apologise if not, and wish them a safe journey. Jesus I hope people complain and he sits and analyses his performance.

Another mention goes to the girl searching the bags, stopping a traveller because he was In Spain twice in one year. I was almost ready for the "no recession in your house" line. Yes the guys travels, yes he travels more than you. That does not make him a dealer. She even said "if I was ever had two holidays a year, i'd remember them". ****s sake love, people travel, people have more interesting lives than you. This is the way it is. Suck it up.
    The auld codger then saying how relaxed the guys was and asking him if he smoked???

I don't agree with the process here at all. If you are in possession then fine, say what you want, if not get the **** out of my way and let me continue my journey without being patronised and having insinuations thrown about.
    Good programme, some of the workers need to cop on though.

In my opinion Cogavin ,if thats his name, should not be in a position where he can use his arrogant bullying disposition to treat totally innocent people like they were criminals. He is obviously not well trained. And, perhaps its the old fashioned system we have here in Ireland thats at fault . In comparison to any other country I have travelled through I would say that display of a superiority complex that Cogavin seems to suffer from, was the worst I have seen in my dealings with customs around the globe and i travel a fair bit with my work.. No one expects, or should allow themselves to be treated like a criminal when coming to another country, and a complaint should have been made by that passenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Another mention goes to the girl searching the bags, stopping a traveller because he was In Spain twice in one year. I was almost ready for the "no recession in your house" line.

They also seemed really suspicious of the fact he flew to Shannon when he was travelling up to Dublin....which wouldn't be that unusual, he said he got a cheap deal and saved a few bob.

Same story a few episodes ago with a guy who arrived in shannon from Malaga late one night and was leaving on to Manchester the next morning as again he saved a packet travelling last minute, they were convinced he had swallowed narcotics

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

I think they need to look at how people are treated in these situations. It's almost as if your rights mean nothing when faced with the all knowing mighty force of these airport officials.
    I have a fairly short fuse when dealing with keystone cop types, and if I had nothing to hide I'm afraid to think of how I would react and the implications to follow.
    If I was treated how the Dutch kid was I am certain I would laughed in his face and try and wind him up as much as possible to get a reaction from him.
    I would have certainly asked to speak to his superior. These guys in fairness, do have an important job, but the power is being abused and its laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

Went through airport last week terminal 2 saw Bruce. Wasn't stopping anyone. Kinda disappointed!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Is this on again tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Is this on again tonight?

Yes sky 1 10pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Bruce and Cogavin would both seriously benefit from some basic customer handling training... I say basic because they don't even have that right...

Seems like every time they stop someone it goes something like this...

Bruce: Howaya buddy. Where the **** do you think you're going ? Are you a drug smuggler ?

Passenger: Eh sorry, I was eh....

Bruce: I ****in knew it. You're carrying drugs aren't ya. There's me badge. I'm a wannabe law enforcement officer. Look, have you seen me badge ??

Passenger: Eh did you want to look in my bag or something ?

Bruce: How dare you speak to me !! I'm asking the questions amigo, You really need to sort your tone. This isn't how you speak to a wannabe law enforcement officer.

Passenger: Eh, I was happy to stand here and deal with you in a civil manner but you're really starting to piss me off with your aggressive tone....

And on and on it goes.

Yes Bruce you are a customs officer, yes you are "technically" a law enforcement officer so well done. Yes you have a big badge to show your authority, well done on that too. Unfortunately however, contrary to what you appear to believe, your badge and uniform do not command respect.

You have to earn that yourself through the manner in which you deal with people.

If you're wondering why so many passengers seem to have a bit of an attitude with you, maybe you and Cogavin should sit down and watch how the rest of your colleagues manage to do it.

They adopt a little respect, humility, and a civilized tone when approaching people. And funny enough, they get it back in return.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    Bruce and Cogavin would both seriously benefit from some basic customer handling training... I say basic because they don't even have that right...

Bruce: Howaya buddy. Where the **** do you think you're going ? Are you a drug smuggler ?

Bruce: I ****in knew it. You're carrying drugs aren't ya. There's me badge. I'm a wannabe law enforcement officer. Look, have you seen me badge ??

Bruce: How dare you speak to me !! I'm asking the questions amigo, You really need to sort your tone. This isn't how you speak to a wannabe law enforcement officer.

Passenger: Eh, I was happy to stand here and deal with you in a civil manner but you're really starting to piss me off with your aggressive tone....

And on and on it goes.

Yes Bruce you are a customs officer, yes you are "technically" a law enforcement officer so well done. Yes you have a big badge to show your authority, well done on that too. Unfortunately however, contrary to what you appear to believe, your badge and uniform do not command respect.

You have to earn that yourself through the manner in which you deal with people.

If you're wondering why so many passengers seem to have a bit of an attitude with you, maybe you and Cogavin should sit down and watch how the rest of your colleagues manage to do it.

They adopt a little respect, humility, and a civilized tone when approaching people. And funny enough, they get it back in return.

The above post just about says it all . They should be sent for re training and learn to get down off their superiority horses. And , maybe a few lessons on how to pronounce certain words in English so that everyone, including the Irish passengers, might understand what they are asking.
    Yes, If you give respect you will receive respect and flashing a badge 2 or 3 times to the one passenger will never gain you respect unless you learn how to act and talk without having to resort to showing your badge. Awful examples of arrogant attitudes to tourists and travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

This could be Bruce!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Why can't they just leave the Mexican flight alone til they move on, are they not traumatised enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,432 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This is me badge Amigo.

Bruce is on the case!!

Bruce for Minister for Foreign Affairs

• Advertisement

"Don't you get narky, grumpy or aggressive with me buddy"

Pot and kettle eh, Bruce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bruce is back baby! God what a horrible little man

Swanner wrote: »

And on and on it goes.

Great impression of Bruce!

He's up to his old tricks again in tonight's episode. Can't believe he said the Chinese lad was aggressive

i dont understand why they are so determined to find drugs on this flight, leave it to the French

M

Is it wise for customs to be rooting around panels in a plane that will be taking off with passengers without engineering staff supervising them?

Edit I stand corrected, no passengers will be getting on but I still think engineering staff would want to see what they are looking at, it's a lot different in a plane to a ship.

• Advertisement

D for Dog....good name

super disconcerting...damn hippies

M

Tinfoil wrapping cigarettes, it's up there with putting CD's on your car windscreen to avoid speed camera.

Roaring laughing at your man finding the experience "super disconcerting " then trying to swipe his grinder back at the end!

How many badge flashes will we have after the break??
    Tis like the Bruce show tonight ;-)

Tinfoil wrapping cigarettes, it's up there with putting CD's on your car windscreen to avoid speed camera.

Ha yeah and hairspray on the number plate to avoid the tolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Christ, they took his grinder and empty bag cos it might have cannabis particles on it :rolleyes:

Purple shoes, he should be arrested for crimes against fashion

The tension of that bag scene! Some great action shots

M

Do French customs lads put on an Irish French accent when they are trying to speak to Irish passengers in France?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Ha that's brilliant "I like to give them the benefit of a doubt, it's not my job to judge them"

M

The cigarettes are nicely wrapped to go under a Christmas tree.

Bruce: "I'm a customs officer"

I thought he was just there to make up the numbers

The cigarettes are nicely wrapped to go under a Christmas tree.

Yeah it looked more like silver wrapping paper than tin foil

Cienciano wrote:
    Christ, they took his grinder and empty bag cos it might have cannabis particles on it

I'd imagine drug paraphernalia cannot be brought through a port or airport

I'd imagine drug paraphernalia cannot be brought through a port or airport

Not if it has traces on, if I bought a new bong they'd not be able to take it would they?

Another week where all they found was a few fags, I walk home every evening past lads openly dealing drugs on the street, are smugglers outwitting the customs completely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

"Don't you get narky, grumpy or aggressive with me buddy"

Pot and kettle eh, Bruce!

He left out how he's trained in martial arts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Not if it has traces on, if I bought a new bong they'd not be able to take it would they?

Another week where all they found was a few fags, I walk home every evening past lads openly dealing drugs on the street, are smugglers outwitting the customs completely?

On the others version of the show Aussie/UK/US/Candada they don't seem to have the same people every week. This would lead me to expect they follow a large number of individuals and then select the best bits.

For the Irish show they appear to only have been given access to a handful of individuals, expecting one of these handful to be one of the ones responsible for a significant haul is going to be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

I see 'CSI Columbo' Bruce tailing the guy in the arrivals hall having used his keen eye to spot the luggage label on the rucksack. Result? No. Nothing. Gave him an opportunity to wave the badge, so not all was lost :)

• Advertisement

I think its a safe bet to say that cogavin one has delusions of grandeur due to the fact that he knows he is being filmed and giving the knowing smarmy grin to the camera as if to say ....Well I found nothing but I made him miss his bus to the Northern part of the "island of Ireland" ...
    What a donkey !! Bad ambassador for customer relations or should I say: Custom Relations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

degsie wrote: »
    I see 'CSI Columbo' Bruce tailing the guy in the arrivals hall having used his keen eye to spot the luggage label on the rucksack. Result? No. Nothing. Gave him an opportunity to wave the badge, so not all was lost :)

Bruce will be a busy boy so, unless Are Lingus and Ryanair tell him that they tag excess hand luggage and put it in the hold.

I wonder are customs getting any complaints about Bruce or the other ignoramus. I am ashamed to have these men represent my Country. Tourists must be disgusted to be greeted like that.

I wonder are customs getting any complaints about Bruce or the other ignoramus. I am ashamed to have these men represent my Country. Tourists must be discusted to be greeted like that.

I'd say they're disgusted also.

degsie wrote:
    I'd say they're disgusted also.

Is your life really that boring? Jesus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What's worse is that this is a UK show, when RTE did their pathetic attempt at it (oh look at the lovely dog playing) it was only really shown in Ireland.
    What must the UK think about Ireland?

• Advertisement

Is your life really that boring? Jesus!

Yep, that's why I watch crappy TV shows and boards posts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Just seen last night's show. God I can't stand bruce he is so rude. He suffers from small man syndrome

iano.p wrote:
    Just seen last night's show. God I can't stand bruce he is so rude. He suffers from small man syndrome

Are you insinuating something here pal? Don't be getting all aggressive ok, he is a law enforcement officer, do you understand that amigo?

Are you insinuating something here pal? Don't be getting all aggressive ok, he is a law enforcement officer, do you understand that amigo?

ah here now, where you from? China is it, uno momento

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

ComfortKid wrote:

Sorry bud I was in a rush to get out. He never showed his badge bud

• Advertisement
Advertisement