Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sundrive Track League

Options
  • 11-04-2014 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Ok guys and gals, the Sundrive Track League is starting this year on the last Wednesday of April (April 30). The following link is very useful as it includes what the different races for each Wednesday are for each group:

http://www.trackcycling.ie/?tribe_events=sstleague1

If you need any of the race types explained, I'm sure one of the trackies will explain it. Usually asked about the "Unknown" though, this is a race where we are not told how many laps we have, then bell is rung for last lap (Or maybe numbers are shown on the board, I can't bloody remember now).

If you want to race, you HAVE to be accredited and have a CI licence. Get there early and get your warm up in, cos it's hell for leather from the get-go.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Deadly. I don't think I have enough done to do the summer league but I'd love to come and help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

gadetra wrote: »
    Deadly. I don't think I have enough done to do the summer league but I'd love to come and help out.

You're not going to have enough done NOT doing the league either. This racing is regarded by most of us as training for the bigger events like the Nationals etc. You really should do it, they already have enough helpers. You'll come on leaps and bounds doing it.

Well twist my arm!! Someone has to come last right? :pac:

A bit more PMA needed there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

Delighted I'll get to do both leagues this year, definitely the best league racing around.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Seriously - give it a go - you will probably surprise yourself. There are different handicap groups but even then there is a wide range of abilities. Last year there were sufficient women to run largely women's only races at the "Group C" level and it seemed to work out very well.

I'm not going to be racing for a while but as soon as they let me drive I'd like to come down a few nights to help out (and have a natter!!)

Beasty wrote: »
    Seriously - give it a go - you will probably surprise yourself. There are different handicap groups but even then there is a wide range of abilities. Last year there were sufficient women to run largely women's only races at the "Group C" level and it seemed to work out very well.

I'm not going to be racing for a while but as soon as they let me drive I'd like to come down a few nights to help out (and have a natter!!)

That goes for everyone I'd say. If you've ever wanted to get into racing, these nights are one of the best ways to start.

You get to sit around and talk sh!t after every race and there's rarely any shouting and lots of that other stuff that goes on on the road.

Another one to whet appetites

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Doc07

I live near Sundrive. What time do the races run until. Are spectators/nosy Parkers welcome?

Doc07 wrote: »
    I live near Sundrive. What time do the races run until. Are spectators/nosy Parkers welcome?

Usually 9pm at latest. Always welcome. You just need to be really careful crossing the track into the green or you can watch from outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Doc07

Usually 9pm at latest. Always welcome. You just need to be really careful crossing the track into the green or you can watch from outside.

Thanks. Will pop down so and maybe bring the little lad and see if I can get him(or me) inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

Looking forward to it better get training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Guys, would this be a good league to do for a road race novice? I've got a lot of XC racing experience, train a lot but lack a bit of road race confidence. Would a few of these help get me up to speed for open road races or is it a different kettle of fish entirely?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guys, would this be a good league to do for a road race novice? I've got a lot of XC racing experience, train a lot but lack a bit of road race confidence. Would a few of these help get me up to speed for open road races or is it a different kettle of fish entirely?
    You must gain accreditation first. Although it's good experience for riding in groups and certain skills such as sprinting qnd racing shorter distances at a generally higher speed, road races are much longer and require a slightly different approach. Having said that most "trackies" tend to supplement their training with road racing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Thanks Beasty, I think it might make sense just to jump in to the open races again in a week or two! Tons more training done for it this year just need to get over the mental hump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

after youve done accreditation and a couple of tranining sessions you'll have no problems, you'll be put in the C group which is the most exciting group to be in. anyone too strong will be moved up to B

I had very little training done when I started in the C's, the race fitness comes quick. the only benefit towards road cycling would be sprint technique and bike handling/awareness skills.

you can chat to other riders for tips during the wednesday league nights, more experienced riders are always happy to give advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

I recently took up track cycling (albeit in Herne Hill) when I moved to London, got my training and race accreditations asap and have been racing since mid March.

It's quite a bit different to road, I was A3 on the road last year and struggled in the B cat at open track races (no C cat). I'm not sure if it was a case of being tactically inept, a bit more unfit than I was last year, undergeared, or not able to spin a high cadence (or all four).

HHV track league started last week, though I only made it up this week, started out in the C cat and was much more competitive, managed 2nd in the devil and 4th or 5th in the other races.

My cadence is improving, and I don't doubt it'll stand to me when I try my hand at a few 4th cat road races this season, though I aim to focus more on track as it makes more sense from a logistical point of view (track is close to home and work).

A reminder toget accreditation done ASAP to get the most out of the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

A reminder toget accreditation done ASAP to get the most out of the races.

When is the next accreditation session for first-timers? The one this Saturday seems to be second stage only (intro to racing).

24th May according to this link:

http://www.trackcycling.ie/?tribe_events=intro-to-racing

But mail them and see if they've had to include anymore due to demand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I too will be out, have my multiple cogs as I have no idea what should be using, probably will try a 48x15 to see what happens (training was on a 48x16 and I felt there was room to push further). How many from here will be in the C cat?

Follow up question, done my accreditation and training, they all seemed happy but I didn't receive the pink slip that people have mentioned (or is that just an expression). I will be out again on Saturday morning if I can get out of the house but should I ask about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

Not sure about the pink slip but as long as you're on the list of accredited riders you're good to go. Raced all last year, was never given a pink slip, seen them once or twice always wondered what they were.

On the gear, I'd bring a 14 too, a bit too big if it's very windy, otherwise it's perfect for most nights, in my opinion anyway.

CramCycle wrote: »
    How many from here will be in the C cat?
    Have made representations and can provide plenty of medical backup but suspect it may fall on deaf ears.....

How many from here will be in the C cat?

Me anyway.
    Does anyone know what the gearing is on the rental bikes? That's what I'll be on. I have decided to call the one I usually rent out Geoffry. I think it'll make us faster :D

Does anyone know what the gearing is on the rental bikes?
    49x16 is what is meant to be on all the rentals

49x16 is what is meant to be on all the rentals

I'd say it takes awhile to find the gear you like, but being able to mess with gears and fit is the main reason that people eventually buy their own.

If you've been using a specific rental bike in training and are happy with it, make sure you get there early on Wednesday and grab it before anyone else can. You'd rather not spend your first race trying to get the fit right.

I'd say it takes awhile to find the gear you like, but being able to mess with gears and fit is the main reason that people eventually buy their own.

If you've been using a specific rental bike in training and are happy with it, make sure you get there early on Wednesday and grab it before anyone else can. You'd rather not spend your first race trying to get the fit right.

Yup as soon as funds allow I shall be getting my own one. Until then me and Geoffrey shall do our best :D

post-25179-you-can-do-it-gif-Waterboy-Img-JC2V.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

just saw the league starts next wednesday!! Ive done 3 turbo sessions since September, have felt quick during commutes but they are 3km and not exactly race conditions!

first monday training session starts next week, also race program is up so you can check what the schedule is for each night.

Ive subconsciously left my own prep till the last minute, gorilla legs, little pot belly, garmin asleep, weight lifting shoes collecting dust under my bed. first race is a 12 lap progressive, 4 controlled laps, lap 5 stop at fence, drag myself to track centre, try keep dinner in my belly, make friends with the grass

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement