Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

E global central

• 22-02-2014 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Website I found that delivers new cameras to Ireland. Has Dslr's at amazing prices. Just wondering if anyone has used it? Seems legit but I'm always weary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

saw advertisements for them myself, but the prices were so low, it made me very wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Will ship from hongkong and you will need to pay VAT and import duty on the prices. I suspect any savings you make on purchase price will quickly get eroded by this.

Keeping an eye out on camerapricebuster.co.uk is really your best bet. Youd be amazed at how much the prices of the best deals fluctuate with, say a Nikon D610 going up or down by about 200 sterling from one week to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

I was wary too but all of my research so far is looking good. Here is what I want to order, any idea how much I would have to pay on vat and import duty?

Thanks.

http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/canon-eos-60d-body-only-digital-slr-camera.html

according to http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

Total customs value (CIF): €460.00 This is the amount that customs values your import at
    - Duty: €0.00
    - VAT: €105.80
    Total import duty & taxes due: €105.80 This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs
    Total landed cost: €565.80 This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes

according to http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

Total customs value (CIF): €460.00 This is the amount that customs values your import at
    - Duty: €0.00
    - VAT: €105.80
    Total import duty & taxes due: €105.80 This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs
    Total landed cost: €565.80 This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes
    Cheers for that.

Even with the added cost, it's still an amazing price. 600 is good for a used one in Dublin right now. Any thoughts?

Also how does one go about paying the extra cost? Will they hold it and call me?

• Advertisement

you get sent a letter saying what you owe from whichever shipping company is handling it, you pay it and it gets forwarded to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

From their site -

Competitive Prices with No Hidden Costs

We offer competitive pricing on a daily basis for all products on the website. To ensure that our customers have a reliable online shopping experience on our online shop, there are no hidden costs: no import tax fees, no customs fees and no shipping fee 1. The price that you see on our online ship is the only price that you have to pay for it.

Going by that there are no additional costs attached??
    Has anyone tried them yet? The prices are certainly very competitive.
    The Nikon 300mm F2.8 is €350 cheaper than B&H and €1200 cheaper than the shops here..
    Time for some research!!

EDIT:

Good reviews here - http://www.trustpilot.ie/review/eglobalcentral.eu

Shocking reviews here - http://www.trustpilot.ie/review/eglobalcentral.eu

The reviews on the 2nd link are all related to having to pay VAT and Customs Fees despite the website saying that you don't.
    Apparently they will refund the fees but it can take months according to some reviewers.

What to do, what to do.......

From their site -

Going by that there are no additional costs attached??
    Has anyone tried them yet? The prices are certainly very competitive.
    The Nikon 300mm F2.8 is €350 cheaper than B&H and €1200 cheaper than the shops here..
    Time for some research!!
    Thanks for the info everyone. I couldn't resist, just ordered a canon 60d with a lens for 525 euro. Estimates 6-8 days for delivery. All good so far, I'll be sure to come back and let you know how it went.

Good man!!!
    I'll let you test the water so :D

The lens I'm looking at attracts €1299 in taxes which makes it €100 dearer than I can currently get it from a shop here so it wouldn't be worth it (i.e. I can't afford it!!)

I'll be waiting to see how you get on before I make my mind up.

Cheers..

It just seemed to be worth the risk for me, if I end up having to pay extra charges, it will only be about 120 euro, still a major saving. However I am anticipating the old fake invoice on the package trick that other hong kong sites use.

Either way I fully expect to get my camera. Even the bad reviews which were in the minority seem to end with, 'and then it finally arrived' or 'I had to pay vat.'

I'll post updates when applicable.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update, my order was 'Packing and Delivering soon' on Friday but then nothing happened over the weekend which is to be expected. This morning it was shipped and is now with DHL, I can track it online with them and the last update has it leaving Hong Kong this afternoon, hopefully bound for somewhere in Europe. I'm optimistic!

Well that escalated quickly. It arrived today! Extremely efficient service and all is great so far, just charging the battery and reading a manual I downloaded from the canon site as mine is in Chinese. Camera was also in Chinese, mini heart attack averted by using a youtube video to show me how to find the language setting, it's in good old English now.

I didn't have to pay any import/VAT or anything, the invoice was labelled 'computer parts,' 18 euro... Those crafty Hong Konian bastards! :P

Anyway it goes without saying that although it worked for me, it's definitely a little bit risky. I think there are random checks that could be preformed at customs leading to you having to pay. My advice is, be willing to pay the VAT, just in case, and good luck.

That's great news and awful news because now Im very tempted to spend money I don't have..

Nice one Mr Chase..

I'm still nervous about it due to the total cost of duties (€1299)
    I emailed them but they were a bit vague about paying the duties just repeatedly stating that the website price is the final price you pay. I have the money for the lens but I reckon I'd be a bit short for the duty and in any case the full duty makes the lens more expensive than here.
    Apparently others that have been caught to pay have had it refunded from them but only after chasing after it for a few months. It's a bit of catch 22 as if I turn the parcel away they still have my original money and I'd have to chase that back.
    I have a chance of picking up the same lens a bit more reasonably here so I'm going to wait off a few more days. if the price difference isn't too much I'll just get it here.

Thanks again for the info Chase. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm pulling the trigger on a 6d from EGC
    I don't even mind if I have to pay extra on arrival. It's just nerve racking dealing with such an unknown entity. :confused:

It would be great to see more peoples experiences on this thread.

I'll keep yall posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Aventure4

I have ordered a LG G2 mobile phone on this site before, all was safe, on time without the VAT issue

so now I am very tempted to buy a Nikon D7100 because OMG they have spring sale now!

http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/spring-sale-15-euro-off-items.html

Original price just 689.99 euro and now additionally 15 euro discount.. the price is just amazing compared to any other online store like amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭onedowg

Aventure4 wrote: »
    I have ordered a LG G2 mobile phone on this site before, all was safe, on time without the VAT issue

so now I am very tempted to buy a Nikon D7100 because OMG they have spring sale now!

http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/spring-sale-15-euro-off-items.html

Original price just 689.99 euro and now additionally 15 euro discount.. the price is just amazing compared to any other online store like amazon

let me know if you get that as im really want to get that camera myself :)

onedowg wrote: »
    let me know if you get that as im really want to get that camera myself :)

Seems the spring sale will expire in 5 days...(seen from here -> http://www.deals2spot.com/eglobalcentral)

I'm still struggling!

condra wrote: »
    I'll keep yall posted.

That was Monday. Camera arrived today - Saturday.
    No duty requested. (DHL Express)
    Will use Eglobal Central again, confidently.

condra wrote: »
    That was Monday. Camera arrived today - Saturday.
    No duty requested. (DHL Express)
    Will use Eglobal Central again, confidently.

Nice :D, I have also placed my order for Nikon D7100 on Sunday, will keep on updating

• Advertisement

What kind of post did you selected? Are u using EU site or .com?

onedowg wrote: »
    What kind of post did you selected? Are u using EU site or .com?

I used .eu and selected the "dhl express" shipping method which was about 8 euro extra

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tammy firth 1976

Hi, i'v just bought a lens from eGlobal Central and there are looking for more information scanned drivers licence, and scanned visa lazer card..only showing first and last four numbers..my card is a different name to the email and account as i used my husbands name to set up the account
    as anyone ever experienced anything like this before..very strange, never seen anything like this before..

I payed with my verified Paypal account and had no problem at all.

Glad to see others have had success :)

As for asking for additional information like that, I have never come across anything like that myself personally. However in my research of the site I did find several people mentioning that this happened. They supplied what was asked for and everything was fine.

I think it says somewhere in the FAQ on their website that they might request more information, I really have no idea why. If you have already been charged, then maybe just supply the info, if not maybe just leave it if you don't feel comfortable. The card image you send them should be the same one you used for billing, you would have put the card name in then I assume anyway.

That's my best guess, let us know how it turns out.

Chase3 wrote: »
    Glad to see others have had success :)

As for asking for additional information like that, I have never come across anything like that myself personally. However in my research of the site I did find several people mentioning that this happened. They supplied what was asked for and everything was fine.

I think it says somewhere in the FAQ on their website that they might request more information, I really have no idea why. If you have already been charged, then maybe just supply the info, if not maybe just leave it if you don't feel comfortable. The card image you send them should be the same one you used for billing, you would have put the card name in then I assume anyway.

That's my best guess, let us know how it turns out.

I haven't experienced this before too by using paypal :)
    I think, maybe, this is to verify that you are not using fake credit card or something like that so as to avoid fraud ?

yep, focalprice.com do the same if you pay by credit card. I was really freaked out by it until they explained it was ok to black out everything except the last 4 digits so I blocked the name and the rest of the number and it was all ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 reubenfields

Im just looking for a bit of reassurance from people here. I ordered a D610 On Wednesday, paid by Mastercard on worldplay. Got an instant reply on my email with the order number. That evening i was asked for ID and Credit Card proof, so i sent them a copy of my driving license and picture of the credit card with the numbers blocked out except for the last 4 as requested. Then i got an email asking the following:
    "We shall need you to send us an email reply from your Work/ Paid Email , i.e. company email, internet service provider email confirming your shipping address in order to further process your order."
    I sent a reply from my work email. That was yesterday afternoon and havent heard anything back since. I have checked on their website and its status is: Verifying (W/P E)
    Did anyone else have anything like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 reubenfields

Hi Tammy Firth, how did this turn out for you?

• Advertisement

Please if someone have more success on this reply and let us know... really wanna buy that nikon d7100. so far looks like i gonna try to do that next week :) fingers crossed :)

Advertisement