Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year's Eve concert Merchant quay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jakelamotta

It's ridiculous to say you can't complain if you're not prepared to organise an event yourself - it was supposed to be a professionally organised event and I agree with the posters who said it was brutal. 20-odd quid a head, the organisers are throwing the 2 fingers to 2,500 people with that bar,stage and a most impressively ballsed up countdown. If you were happy to put up with that carry on then you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AlwaysOutraged

What an absolute farce of a night. I've been to NYE parties and events all over the world but have never witnessed anything as bad as this, No planning what so ever. And to miss the count down, the whole purpose of the night!!! You couldn't make it up. When and how can i get a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Fascinating analysis.

Too bad your degree from Mary I hasn't helped your contributions other than having a bone up your arse whenever someone actually has an opinion.

Too bad your degree from Mary I hasn't helped your contributions other than having a bone up your arse whenever someone actually has an opinion.

Ah the good old b.ed, they don't encourage or develop opinions on that course.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

It's ridiculous to say you can't complain if you're not prepared to organise an event yourself - it was supposed to be a professionally organised event and I agree with the posters who said it was brutal. 20-odd quid a head, the organisers are throwing the 2 fingers to 2,500 people with that bar,stage and a most impressively ballsed up countdown. If you were happy to put up with that carry on then you deserve it.

Actually i don't think the "professionals" were too happy with the concert location but they had no choice in that matter...that was a civic/political decision that was made long before the event management pros got involved.
    The layout was for public safety. They needed two fire exits which were to the left and right of the stage meaning the crowd would not be ushered back over the bridge which would cause a bottle neck and result in injuries to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kevinkmb36

i was at the event myself and thought it was a joke. my girlfriend and i went in around 9. we were gonna get a drink but the queues were massive. saw dolorus o riordan and thought she was ok like, but only played three songs which was very disappointing. started raining, we managed to skip the queue to the bar to find it only served hot whiskey or wine or few more **** drinks. people behind the bar hadnt a clue, were getting world of abuse off people as the were so disgruntled with the organisation and queueing in the cold..i got 2 hot whiskeys, and herself got 2 poxy little glasses of wine....cost €20. one hot whiskey was stone cold and was stink. girlfriend wouldnt drink the wine either...went into the heinekin tent, but queues were still massive...that stage we had enough, we fecked off to the lock bar and enjoyed rest of the nite.
    defo would never go to a gig like that again..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

In fairness the only persons opinion you seem to give a **** about is your own, your last few posts seem a bit aggressive to be honest. You really do seem to take great pleasure in the flaws that occurred at the event, some of which do need to be addressed. You seem to think that anyone who enjoyed themselves are working for the organisers or lying.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 20 aonchraic

Just to put things in perspective. Was in brusseles last night for new year. Big fire works display, if a third of the crowd had a decent view of display i would be surprised. Any body who was off centre in the square ( which was the majority) had an impeeded view due to buildings being in line of the display. Can,t put a figure on crowd but reminded me of cork homecomings after winning all ireland so roughly 50 000 thousand but could have been more. Allso even though pa system was were in place so there was no countdown at all which was dissappointing. When people couldnt see fire works display everyone tried to push toward best viewing area whch was dangerous.and caused a crush. I know its hard to compare this event to limericks but it shows that eventsl like the aforementioned obviously arent as easy to organise as some suggest.

kevinkmb36 wrote: »
    i was at the event myself and thought it was a joke. my girlfriend and i went in around 9. we were gonna get a drink but the queues were massive. saw dolorus o riordan and thought she was ok like, but only played three songs which was very disappointing. started raining, we managed to skip the queue to the bar to find it only served hot whiskey or wine or few more **** drinks. people behind the bar hadnt a clue, were getting world of abuse off people as the were so disgruntled with the organisation and queueing in the cold..i got 2 hot whiskeys, and herself got 2 poxy little glasses of wine....cost €20. one hot whiskey was stone cold and was stink. girlfriend wouldnt drink the wine either...went into the heinekin tent, but queues were still massive...that stage we had enough, we fecked off to the lock bar and enjoyed rest of the nite.
    defo would never go to a gig like that again..

The only thing about this is that the prices, stock levels, number of staff etc are set by Heineken.
    The operation of the bar had nothing to do with the organisers other than them picking Heineken over any other brand.
    I volunteered at Springsteen too and the prices and queues were similar as they were at every other event I was at in the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kevinkmb36

i went to christy moore in the marquee in cork during the summer....now that was a very well organised event. there was no queue for the bar when we went in, got few drinks each and went in.i agree that the price of drink at events is always high anyway but atleast the drink was decent. well we thought last nite was a complete shambles and waste of €52 which it cost by buying the tickets at ticketmaster..and im sure plenty of others thought the same..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

These types of events are usually crap anyway. Not unique to Limk.NYE is an over rated over crowded over hyped crap night most of the time. As for the misery of having to ring in the new year with tripe such as the warbling coronas. The strypes and dolores, you deserve everything you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

h3000 wrote: »
    In fairness the only persons opinion you seem to give a **** about is your own, your last few posts seem a bit aggressive to be honest. You really do seem to take great pleasure in the flaws that occurred at the event, some of which do need to be addressed. You seem to think that anyone who enjoyed themselves are working for the organisers or lying.

Note he also takes great pleasure bad mouthing anything positive in the city as well as this forum and many if not all the posters!

Is there an ignore function on boards because I'm getting sick and tired of the constant negativity spouted this grump!

Here's a new years resolution Marcus, get a life and cheer up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

seachto7 wrote: »
    These types of events are usually crap anyway. Not unique to Limk.NYE is an over rated over crowded over hyped crap night most of the time. As for the misery of having to ring in the new year with tripe such as the warbling coronas. The strypes and dolores, you deserve everything you get.

Ah now, The Strypes are genuinely a good little band.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭phog

I wasn't at the fireworks nor the concert but met a few relations/friends who were and they enjoyed the pagent, the fireworks and the concert.

In fact none of them had anything negative to say about it and I was surprised to read so much negativity online afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

lasno wrote: »

How embarrassing, scroll down to the comments section to gauge the reaction- This has just heaped a whole load of new negativity at the city....Mr Wallace's comments at the end are clearly a dig at how much of a shambles the NYE event was and it seems to be the straw that broke the camels back.....

Typical, typical Limerick.... I really hope the organisers redeem the situation and that the year is a success but it's hard to see it panning out to be anything but a disaster and a huge fall out to boot. Why, oh why, can we NIR get our act togetherin the same way other cities can?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jacksyhoulahan

I was genuinely looking forward to this concert but it was very disappointing.
    The queue for the bar was just ridiculous.
    The location of the stage meant that not everyone could see the bands.
    There was nothing else. I had visions of different stalls being around the place and some other simple attractions.
    Ended up back in a pub at 11 o'clock. Never again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Just out of interest, the people complaining about the queues at the bar, how many of you have been to an outdoor festival or gig before?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jakelamotta

I would think most people have. I saw Springsteen in Thomond Pk and in Kilkenny last summer. Nowlan Park was a huge affair, lots of performers, big audience like new years eve. There was enough food, minimal wait at the bar because it was staffed properly and you could move around as you pleased so it can be done right in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It never ceases to amaze me how often events management companies get something basic like a bar so wrong.

You are charging €5 a pint. The cost of staff for a few hours at the event like that are negligible. All you need to sell is maybe 20 pints per staff member to cover your costs. Less if it's the drinks company themselves running the bar. More staff = less queues = more drinking = more profit.

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how often events management companies get something basic like a bar so wrong.

You are charging €5 a pint. The cost of staff for a few hours at the event like that are negligible. All you need to sell is maybe 20 pints per staff member to cover your costs. Less if it's the drinks company themselves running the bar. More staff = less queues = more drinking = more profit.

Events management don't run the bar though they offer it out for tender and the drinks companies and local bars can run it as they wish, the frustration is misplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Exile on Grafton St.

lasno wrote: »

I know its just the indo, but some of those comments are really vitriolic. I always wondered how Limerick is able to inspire such hatred among some people...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I know its just the indo, but some of those comments are really vitriolic. I always wondered how Limerick is able to inspire such hatred among some people...

You should hear me when I get going on Dublin or Leeds, two cities I usually feel the need to stick the boot into:D People get quite passionate about their rational (and irrational) dislikes, and as such imagine that those who dislike Limerick are no different in that respect.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/limerick-city-of-culture-director-quits-hours-into-2014-programme-618619.html

Only Pat Cox could consider these resignations a 'blessing in disguise.'

They're talking about it on NewsTalk now. Great publicity for Limerick City of Culture

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Itsdacraic wrote: »

I have been to countless events like this over the years and used to ask myself the same question, I'd say something if it was the same company providing the services but it is not...I then realised what the common denominator was...the run of the mill punter who needs/must get pissed as fast as possible, multiply that by several thousand in a temporary customized environment and you get a logistical nightmare...all sorts who demand the right to complain simply exacerbate the situation, and now we have social media we have given those people a soap box...

It would have been a disaster if no one showed up...clearly this is not the case here...

As for the resignation, well yet again it seems bureaucrats/artists do make good bedfellows...that is not a Limerick thing (of course there are those that will spin it that way, check out the comments in that indo article) this is a common feature of a lot of these city of culture years, the bureaucrats who sign the cheques always wins...this is classic storm in a teacup stuff.

I will go to as many events as I can, I predict some will be a waste of time, others will be better than expected...but I'll have gotten off my backside and out of the house, life is too short to sit around complaining and bitching!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Its sad that what should be our most important year has started off so poorly. We left too. The bar was very poorly managed. reminded me of the Springsteen Concert which was another monumental fcuk up regards getting a drink. Does anyone know who the event organiser was?

Sully777 wrote: »
    Its sad that what should be our most important year has started off so poorly. We left too. The bar was very poorly managed. reminded me of the Springsteen Concert which was another monumental fcuk up regards getting a drink. Does anyone know who the event organiser was?

Futurama Productions I believe though I am open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Just out of interest, the people complaining about the queues at the bar, how many of you have been to an outdoor festival or gig before?

Loads. Aviva, Oxygen, Nowlan Park, etc....

I am an occasional drinker. This New Years was the Pub or the Concert and I choose the Concert. As I said I have been to a lot of outdoor gigs but this year the Springsteen Concert in Thomond Park and this gig at Merchant's Quay were ruined by people not prepared for the crowd that arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was at Bruce Springsteen concert in Thomond Park couldn't get near the bar but I'd count it as the best gig I was ever at.

Advertisement