Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options
  • 22-04-2012 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

We're a very small subject and so I think Applied Maths people should stick together, so here's a thread for us. :) Let's start with, are you taking Applied Maths inside or outside of school? and what questions are you covering?

As for me, I'm doing Applied Maths in school (one of only 2 girls' schools in the country to offer it :D) but we are run simultaneously with LCVP and Careers, so we only get 3 classes a week. So my teacher has to teach a shorter course and so we aren't gonna get proper choice on the paper - she is only teaching Q1,2,3,4,5 and 10. :/ So I'm teaching myself Q9 just out of terror!

How about you guys? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

I'm doing it outside school. I'm covering question 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10. I highly recommend doing q8 because it's quite easy and the (a) part is always just a thereom which you simply learn off (there is only 3).

I think it is a quite manageable subject. My favourite after chemistry! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I only do it once a week outside school. Getting very worried now because I slept through the classes last year and failed my mock miserably. Doing Q's 1,3,4,5,8,10.

Need to do one section a week, and considering I can't do the exam q's I'm screwed :(.

The only good thing about it is you get marks so easily. You could do really well even if you don't get any answers out at all in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

I'm in 5th year, just started doing Applied Maths outside of school after Christmas. We've covered Q4 and most of Q3 now, it's kind of hilarious how crazily complicated some of the maths in Q3 can get but we're assured it'll be second nature this time next year!

It's a bit strange but I've actually found it's improved my maths in school too. Our teacher cancels, substitutes and divides across and all of that good stuff without any sort of prior warning and you find yourself catching on to what he's done and applying it (excuse the pun) to the stuff you're doing in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Me, I do the good trusty 'oul questions 1,2,3,4,5,10. I only took it up this year and had to teach most of the course by myself so doubt I'll bother doing a 6th. Sure I find it's better to know 6 questions very well rather than 7 quite well. Had a glance at SHM and ah, yeah, didn't look too great so I'll defo be leaving that out!

The only thing that annoys me is that it's on the very last day of the leaving cert... while everyone else will be out partying I'll be stuck inside. :mad: Ah sure they're missing out on the subject haha :D It's probably the only exam I'm looking forward to aswell, got two high A1s in my two mocks so things are looking up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

I'm in 5th year, just started doing Applied Maths outside of school after Christmas. We've covered Q4 and most of Q3 now, it's kind of hilarious how crazily complicated some of the maths in Q3 can get but we're assured it'll be second nature this time next year!

It's a bit strange but I've actually found it's improved my maths in school too. Our teacher cancels, substitutes and divides across and all of that good stuff without any sort of prior warning and you find yourself catching on to what he's done and applying it (excuse the pun) to the stuff you're doing in school.

You really will get used to it - it seems complicated at first but because you do the same thing in EVERY question it just turns into a little pattern and it's grand. :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

ill be starting applied maths next year, any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

We're a very small subject and so I think Applied Maths people should stick together, so here's a thread for us. :) Let's start with, are you taking Applied Maths inside or outside of school? and what questions are you covering?

As for me, I'm doing Applied Maths in school (one of only 2 girls' schools in the country to offer it :D) but we are run simultaneously with LCVP and Careers, so we only get 3 classes a week. So my teacher has to teach a shorter course and so we aren't gonna get proper choice on the paper - she is only teaching Q1,2,3,4,5 and 10. :/ So I'm teaching myself Q9 just out of terror!

We did 1 class a week in 5th year and now 2 classes in 6th. I did pretty horribly in my mocks tbh, got a C.
    I know for a fact more than 2 girls' schools offer it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

I'm in 5th year and I've been doing applied maths since September/October. I do it after school on a Wednesday as an extra subject because we have a half day in our school every Wednesday. I don't do LCVP though and I do ordinary level Irish so applied maths kinda makes up for those.

We're going the Q1,2,3,4,5,10 route. I'm planning on learning Q8 on my own though. I was doing well in it at the start of the year (92% in the Christmas exam) but I feel as though my standard is slipping as more work is being piled up on us. I think I'll do well in it for the LC but I'm not looking forward to my exam for the summer tests this year. :o

Just for those who are reading this and are trying to decide weather to do it or not: If you are doing HL Maths and Physics I believe you should give it a shot. If you're planning on doing a maths or physics related course in university I believe you should do it because I heard that applied maths comes into a lot of the 1st year courses in those subjects in college. It also helps you with your maths and physics for the LC as a lot of the Applied Maths course overlaps with bits of the other 2 courses. It's not easy and you have to be willing to dedicate some time to it but you'll be glad that you did it. :D

~Mulciber

Eathrin wrote: »
    We did 1 class a week in 5th year and now 2 classes in 6th. I did pretty horribly in my mocks tbh, got a C.
    I know for a fact more than 2 girls' schools offer it though!

Hmm... my Applied Maths teacher told us there were only two. Although she has been wrong about many things, so it is extremely possible she's wrong about that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Well unless I know you, I go to the other all girls school that offers it. :D

Edit: was implying your facts are wrong.

• Advertisement

Hmm... my Applied Maths teacher told us there were only two. Although she has been wrong about many things, so it is extremely possible she's wrong about that too!

Sorry if I ruined your maths buzz:D
    I was at an applied maths quiz a while back and while it was 90% male...a girls' school won it. Damn wimminz takin' our subjects:P

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

Hey ill be starting applied maths in T.Y. since I'm down a subject on not doing irish. Is it true that it would be considered harder then actually higher level maths? I know it has predicated questions but is the material harder? Oh yeah I'm doing it outside school if that helps in any way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 The Pharmacist on the Moon

paddzdaman wrote: »
    Hey ill be starting applied maths in T.Y. since I'm down a subject on not doing irish. Is it true that it would be considered harder then actually higher level maths? I know it has predicated questions but is the material harder? Oh yeah I'm doing it outside school if that helps in any way :D
    The material is harder, particularly if you are going to be doing it outside school , but as you mentioned it is fairly predictable and once you get a grasp of the concepts it's a lovely subject if you happen to be interested and good at maths. It is a short course in comparison to other leaving cert subjects but a fair bit of work still has to put in in order to be assured of getting an A1. Best of luck with it, it was my favourite subject along with maths and in my opinion it was the easiest in this year's lc .

The material is harder, particularly if you are going to be doing it outside school , but as you mentioned it is fairly predictable and once you get a grasp of the concepts it's a lovely subject if you happen to be interested and good at maths. It is a short course in comparison to other leaving cert subjects but a fair bit of work still has to put in in order to be assured of getting an A1. Best of luck with it, it was my favourite subject along with maths and in my opinion it was the easiest in this year's lc .
    Thanks. Yeah I love maths now in junior cert and expecting an A in the junior cert. I looking for high points and the guy who is giving the grinds to me reckons I can get an A over 3 years of hard work. Hey just wondering are you doing it inside or outside school? If you are how are you finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

With 3 years you'll be absolutely fine. The only real problem I can see with starting in TY is that you'll mostly likely run into things like differentiation and maybe integration before you've done them in maths. I started it in 5th year finished the course before the start of 6th year, and most people seem to, so if all goes you should be finished the course fairly early. Once you've done many years of exam questions (and you will have done many...) the actual exam is pretty easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

With 3 classes a week you should be able to cover at least seven questions, with plenty of time afterwards for revision. Is your teacher out a lot or something?

Eoin247 wrote: »
    With 3 classes a week you should be able to cover at least seven questions, with plenty of time afterwards for revision. Is your teacher out a lot or something?

No, she just goes reeeeally slowly. We're not getting any revision time. She does this terrible strategy where she teaches the ordinary level of all the topics in 5th Year and then comes back and teaches the higher level material in 6th. We only started differential equations this week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

No, she just goes reeeeally slowly. We're not getting any revision time. She does this terrible strategy where she teaches the ordinary level of all the topics in 5th Year and then comes back and teaches the higher level material in 6th. We only started differential equations this week :(

Be grateful that you have an applied maths teacher brah, half the people doing it teach it to themselves...:pac:

Thanks. Yeah I love maths now in junior cert and expecting an A in the junior cert. I looking for high points and the guy who is giving the grinds to me reckons I can get an A over 3 years of hard work. Hey just wondering are you doing it inside or outside school? If you are how are you finding it?

Im actually in college at the moment but I did the exam in 2011 and got an A1. I did it during 5th year and 6th year at lunch time 4 times a week but only started doing a bit of work in 6th year. I found it tricky enough up until christmas of 5th year because the content was a step up from the JC and my maths teacher hadn't covered trigonometry and intergration fully. After that, doing the exam papers ie the last 20 years or more in at least 6 topics was the best preparation I found, and whatever bits I got stuck on, I just asked my teacher,who to his credit was excellent. 3 years is plenty of time as the course can actually be thought in a year or less depending on how talented the person is at maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Honours maths is very easy in comparison to applied maths. In applied maths I have to actually think, in honours maths I find it's just obvious what to do right away. That might just be me though, maths is the easiest subject in my opinion, applied maths is quite challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jack.h

In my opinion Applied maths is much easier than Higher level maths. For maths there is a lot more to learn and the questions are less predictable, While there is not much they can do to make applied maths questions harder, As long as you stay calm and follow the set procedures to solve each question it is very easy.

finality wrote: »
    Honours maths is very easy in comparison to applied maths. In applied maths I have to actually think, in honours maths I find it's just obvious what to do right away. That might just be me though, maths is the easiest subject in my opinion, applied maths is quite challenging.

I agree completely. Maths is by far the easiest subject imo. Applied maths is far from it. I don't generally do study for most of my subjects and according to my mock results Applied Maths is one that can't do without, I'm going to have to do a serious amount if work between now and June to up my marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

hey could anyone help me with relative velocity? am stuck on page 59 question 23 in Oliver Murphy book...
    please and thank you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

I'm in college now but did the LC in 2011 and got a B2 in applied maths and honestly I wouldn't be that good at maths and didn't study applied maths too much.

I started doing it outside school (with a teacher) in September of 6th year and stopped just after we had handed up our subject forms for what exams we were going to take can't remember when this was but I had only covered Q.1,2,3 in the class. Didn't look at it again because I had dropped it but had 3 days between my last exam and when I would have sat applied maths so I decided since I had payed to do the exam I might as well sit it.

Did a good bit of work in the 3 days and was shocked with the B3 but lliterally a lot of the questions are repetitions so just practice loads of exam questions and its easy enough to get a good enough grade.

It's also quite useful to have done applied maths if you are thinking of doing a science course in college especially one with physics I find a lot of the concepts I'm doing now in physics in college are just slight developments on the LC applied maths course.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

yeah doin Applied Maths exam this year :) But I'm mad into programming so this type of stuff (particularly projectiles and anything with tricky trig) I have in the bag

Eathrin wrote: »
    I agree completely. Maths is by far the easiest subject imo.
    The questions in maths in general are easier in my opinion but I wouldn't agree that maths is easiest subject for the lc, biology,physics and chemistry are a lot easier. A couple of guys in my maths and applied maths classes last year got an A1 in applied maths but only got an A2 in maths so i wouldn't take an A1 in maths for granted as it's a very broad course and the questions can be plucked from any part of the course. They can also phrase the questions in maths in different ways to make them appear more difficult then they actually are as was the case last year which tends to put people off, i don't think they can do it as much with the applied maths questions which tends to make the exams fairly straightfoward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

The questions in maths in general are easier in my opinion but I wouldn't agree that maths is easiest subject for the lc, biology,physics and chemistry are a lot easier. A couple of guys in my maths and applied maths classes last year got an A1 in applied maths but only got an A2 in maths so i wouldn't take an A1 in maths for granted as it's a very broad course and the questions can be plucked from any part of the course. They can also phrase the questions in maths in different ways to make them appear more difficult then they actually are as was the case last year which tends to put people off, i don't think they can do it as much with the applied maths questions which tends to make the exams fairly straightfoward.

It's personal preference. Different people are gonna find different subjects easier. :)

thanks for de advice :D best of luck in all yer exams :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Danny93

waiting4 wrote: »
    hey could anyone help me with relative velocity? am stuck on page 59 question 23 in Oliver Murphy book...
    please and thank you :p

I have the old ugly brown book so I'm assuming that's the one with the two roads intersecting at 60degrees.(Section 4B, Q23??).

How far have you got in it? I mean you've probably know how to get the velocity of A relative to B since it's the 23rd question.

All you need to do from there is get in a position where B is at the intersection. Now find how long that takes (2km at 40km/hr) and then see how far A travels along its road in that time.

So draw a diagram of B being at the intersection, and the position of A when that's the case, and then a rough sketch of what the V[ab](velocity of A relative to B) is (i.e a line in that direction), from A.

(The velocity of A relative to B, is the velocity that A has from B's point of view, so in this case B is "not moving" (kinda difficult to explain that, if you want me to try I will))

Then you want to have from B, perpendicular to the line V[ab], and that's the shortest distance. You'll need to use a bit of trig to get that distance though.

I realise that what I've written is a bit all over the place, so here's a diagram of what I said. Sorry for the sh*t quality. Hopefully you can make it out, and hopefully it makes sense.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

Danny93 wrote: »
    I have the old ugly brown book so I'm assuming that's the one with the two roads intersecting at 60degrees.(Section 4B, Q23??).

:

ah sorry its the new blue book but thanks for trying to help! :D

Advertisement