Approaching a Girl in the Street - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-03-2012, 04:14   #31
jeep37

If you're a 'hot' guy, you'll be seen as courageous and romantic. If you're around average-looking or worse, CREEP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadYaker View Post
Irish girls always seems fairly down to earth. Certain other nationalities are much less so....
Have you ingested psychedelic substances or are you a woman in disguise?
Advertisement
06-03-2012, 04:26   #32
jill_valentine

I've had this happen to me, and wasn't terribly impressed. The only guys I've ever seen try it came across as a bit... odd, independently of their approach, and didn't take the hint. It felt kind of presumptuous and made me uncomfortable. I don't want to have to be put on the spot, and I hate having to think of a polite way to give somebody the brush off when I'm just walking down the street.

Say what you will about the traditional Irish shift-in-the-incredibly-grim-hotel-nightclub, but I absolutely hate the transactional American approach to "dating", and I'd hate to see it catch on here.
06-03-2012, 04:47   #33
jeep37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill_valentine View Post
Say what you will about the traditional Irish shift-in-the-incredibly-grim-hotel-nightclub, but I absolutely hate the transactional American approach to "dating", and I'd hate to see it catch on here.
So you approve of sticking with the current situation in Ireland where Irish women go to nightclubs and "shift" the top 10%-20% of most physically attractive males in society, rather than bringing in a scenario where the norm is for two people to go out and actually communicate to get to know eachother better?

Last edited by jeep37; 06-03-2012 at 04:50.
06-03-2012, 10:15   #34
eire-kp

Yes tried this once and it worked not exactly in the steet but something similar.
I was delivering some stuff with a truck a while ago and was absolutely lost in the middle of nowhere eventually came to the nearest town and called into a petrol station, The shop was empty so ended up talking to the girl at the counter for a minute while getting directions off her,

Got her number as I was leaving with the classic "any chance of your number in case I get lost again" ..Made my day
Ended up texting for a while but didn't meet up as we lived a big distance from each other.

Never tried anything like it since.
Thanks from:
06-03-2012, 10:29   #35
MadYaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep37 View Post
Have you ingested psychedelic substances or are you a woman in disguise?
No but I do have adequate communication skills and I don't wet myself with fear every time a girl says hello.

Quote:
So you approve of sticking with the current situation in Ireland where Irish women go to nightclubs and "shift" the top 10%-20% of most physically attractive males in society, rather than bringing in a scenario where the norm is for two people to go out and actually communicate to get to know eachother better?
I don't know where you're from but thats not the only way it happens here. At least not in my experience anyway. Surely the only time you have an opportunity to meet women isn't in nightclubs when everyone is wasted?
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-03-2012, 10:44   #36
grames_bond

Happened me, I was walking to work and would pass the same girl twice a day - eventually (when we were about to move office) I bit the bullet and stopped her, thought what have I got to lose! Best decision I ever made as the girl is an absolute legend, and I am f*cking delighted I stopped her!
06-03-2012, 12:19   #37
newbee22

Happened me once before while I was working, this guy was a regular customer and asked me out and gave me his number. To be honest I was a bit freaked out because I was only 18 at the time. Now as a wise 24 year old () I think I'd be flattered. Us Irish are a bit too shy I think, the only way most of us have confidence to approach people we fancy is if we're off our faces in a pub/nightclub!
06-03-2012, 12:32   #38
Tim the Enchanter

A friend of mine done this. He approached a girl looking a bit lost in the street. It turned out she was a Canadian tourist and was looking for a local hotel. Now this hotel was only around the corner but my buddy chanced his arm and said he would show her the way, she agreed and went with him, he walked all over town with her and about an hour later arrived at her hotel. He's now married to this girl and living in Canada.
06-03-2012, 12:55   #39
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
Pretty girls are always doing this to me in the street.
And boys too.
Damn Chuggers
Advertisement
06-03-2012, 13:16   #40
TerrorFirmer

Quote:
I don't know what planet you live on but that's some creation of the imagination...specifically yours.
06-03-2012, 15:03   #41
Hazys

I think these guys’ videos are pretty hilarious just to watch for entertainment purposes.

I think they prove it doesn’t really matter what you say as long as you are confident as fcuk and throw in a bit of wit and humour. Confidence and humour seem to be way more important than looks to women.

Most girls seem to be completely in shock when a lad comes out of the blue and starts talking to her on the street. But i presume the majority of them kinda like their daily routine to be broken up with a bit of romance, even if they are not really interested in the guy.

The guys seem pretty successful but I guess they only show the parts where they get on well with the girl, i'd say the majority of the time they get rejected and look like a psycho...but i guess its a numbers game literally.

The problem for most guys is...how the fcuk do you become that confident
Thanks from:
06-03-2012, 15:06   #42
Elmer Blooker

Quote:
If you're a 'hot' guy, you'll be seen as courageous and romantic. If you're around average-looking or worse, CREEP.
It's the opposite if you ask me.
Good looking guy: "who does he think he is, god's gift to women?" ....... "a player" ....... "thinks he can get any woman!"

Average guy" "a bit of a rogue"....... a jack-the-lad ..... a bad boy... a chancer.

I think women would have a sneaky admiration for mr average.
06-03-2012, 15:09   #43
Apolloyon

I think in Ireland, we've very much bound to what is socially acceptable and even when those goalposts move with each generation. We generally try to keep as close as possible to what is the current norm.

Although to be fair, speaking as a man (I think that's the first time in my life, I've used that phrase. It sounds so weird. But I digress!), I don't know how I'd react if a woman did come up to me out of the blue and asked me out so directly. I think I would be bewildered (obviously!) and I think wouldn't know how to react either. Someone mentioned earlier that you might not be in the right headspace for such a situation whereas in fiction, the person normally is and romance...or hilarity ensues.

As for the comparison between nightclubs. I suppose it is a little contradictory. People often meet strangers there and bring them home. But a stranger on the street wants your number...no way! I think again, it's the headspace issue again. People in the nightclubs can be in the right frame of mind to meet someone. So do we need to change our way of thinking and open ourselves up to new opportunities? Or do we leave well enough alone?
06-03-2012, 15:12   #44
Malari

Actually this is what would spring to mind if someone approached me on the street - that it was being filmed for some sort of "entertainment" or it was being done for a dare and I'd be looking for a couple of his mates standing a short distance away, giggling. Maybe I'm cynical. And no I didn't meet any of my previous boyfriends while utterly scutterly in a nightclub.
06-03-2012, 17:20   #45
Red Hand

Yeah, I kind of tried it once with a girl who worked in a pharmacy who seemed nice and was quite pretty. Bit the bullet and asked her for a coffee after making horrendous, absolutely horrendous small talk.

She politely declined, and laughed off the embarressment. And she didn't pepper spray me which is always nice.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion