Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options
  • 10-02-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

I spent a while in Manchester last year and I did quite a few of these "Park Runs". These are timed 5k races every Saturday morning which are free to enter. They are organised by volunteers.

http://www.parkrun.com/home

I'm back in Dublin now but always in the back of my mind I've been thinking of how useful one of these parkruns would be in Dublin/Ireland. At the moment I'm working Saturdays but I'd be interested in setting up one of these Park Runs in Dublin in the near future.

Has anyone else done these Park Run races in Enlgand before?

Update:
    parkrun Ireland is now up and running with the first event taking place weekly in Malahide. See here for more details and how to register:
    http://www.parkrun.ie
    http://www.facebook.com/MalahideParkrun

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Done a handful of them myself and having now seen what they are about I'd agree that setting one up in Dublin would be a great idea. Despite my local course in the UK being one of the worst possible routes imaginable for an anyone can do it type event they are fantastic to get people out and active.

Belfast manages to host two of them so Dublin must have the population and space to put one on. Would need a handful of dedicated people to get it off the ground to start with and an agreeable park to host it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Yeah definitley in one of the big Parks like Marlay or Bushy or even Phoenix Park.

Definitely gives you something to aim towards if you're not running with a club.

Once I get my Saturdays free again I'll get onto it!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

I think insurance is the main stumbling block. In the UK, they are covered by some general scheme. For it to work here, you would need someone to cover the insurance cost. But, that could be overcome somehow. Marlay, Bushy would be great locations in South Dublin. Phoenix pk, St. Annes, Malahide Castle would be great on the North side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I've heard so much about the Park Runs in the Uk and would love to have the same thing here. I hope a solution can be found, as there are so many people abandoning gyms lately and taking up running and need such events to keep the motivation going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I think the only place in Dublin this can work would be Pheonix park, need to get some numbers out for run. Doesnt take much to get it going but need a few people with time to put into it.
    Lots or people want things in the sport but you do need to give up your time and act.
    I think there is one up in belfast?

• Advertisement

I just emailed them to see if anyone organising anything over here. I'd be interested in helping with it if there is. Will post back here, if I hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dsenna

I heard about park run from a very good podcast I listen to on my runs called Marathon Talk run by Tom Williams and Martin Yelling ' they often mention park run which now has its own podcast on iTunes anyway seems like a great idea to get people out for a 5 km race where your time is recorded on a barcode system, I would also be glad to get involved if it were possible to setup in Dublin,so will be glad to hear about the responce you get from your email
    plodder wrote: »
    I just emailed them to see if anyone organising anything over here. I'd be interested in helping with it if there is. Will post back here, if I hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Yeah I think there would definitely be enough people interested to get this off the ground.

I got a reply. They are saying basically, they've had plenty of enquiries but nobody has stepped up to say they will take it forward. Three things that are needed to do that.
    1) a suitable off-road course
    2) a small team of volunteers to start event. Post start it will generate volunteers
    3) 50% of £6000 start up funding. Parkrun provide other 50% (ie £3000)
    and sustain web etc for all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I've done them a few times too, one of them starts on my doorstep. Great setup and atmosphere every week and more importantly free :D. Each runner gets their own results page which is a nice touch.

Easily the most important thing for this to happen in ireland is the initial setup costs. There would be a strong argument for it to be goverment sponsored and it could spread throughout the country.

Secondly, an enthusiastic group of volunteers is essential week in week out. 5/6 marshals out on the route (most of them are 2-3 lap courses which saves on this), and 2/3 at the finish to record times and scan barcodes.

• Advertisement

Yep, most events have their core people who have given up time over the years. Problem with online things is you'll get 10's of people saying they can step up but never really do. Would take one person to take the bull by the horns long term to get this going.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have vague recollections of talk about my local one being initially funded by the local council to get it off the ground with the start up money, I was only half aware of what parkrun was at that stage so didn't really know what the conversations were about that I was overhearing. There are often vouchers being handed out and monthly prizes for Sweatshop. I think that might be a national deal and the lack of any of their stores in Ireland means you probably want to sweet talk some Dublin store into getting involved.

If you can get DCC on side then getting one of the parks to agree would be simpler as well.

robinph wrote: »
    I have vague recollections of talk about my local one being initially funded by the local council to get it off the ground with the start up money, I was only half aware of what parkrun was at that stage so didn't really know what the conversations were about that I was overhearing. There are often vouchers being handed out and monthly prizes for Sweatshop. I think that might be a national deal and the lack of any of their stores in Ireland means you probably want to sweet talk some Dublin store into getting involved.

If you can get DCC on side then getting one of the parks to agree would be simpler as well.

I heard FG have a new member that you might be able to talk to ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Have actually been working on getting a series of Parkruns organised for Ireland. Talking to the group in the UK, yes, there is funding needed to cover insurance mainly and in the UK it is up to the local organisers to raise a certain amount then Pakrun have a fund to add to this from their sponsors.

I'll looking to use Amphibian King as a means to ease the funding pressure and hopefully using our broad base of customers to help spread the news.

Parkrun do like to have the events grow organically with little or no marketing, all word of mouth growth in popularity, which is something that would work well.

It is relatively early days but the hope will be to bring a series of runs on stream in late March early April ready for the summer. We will need help from clubs and groups in different areas and will put a call out through Facebook and our website for volunteers to assist with organising.

If anyone wants to get involved early on please feel free to email me (or PM) with suggestions. Email: sean at amphibianking dot ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

Might be an idea to get onto one of the councils about this. DLRCC have always been particularly good at organising events around the county, they utilise their parks much better than any other council I've ever seen and £3,000 set up costs for them wouldn't be a big investment, even with there being less money to spend these days.

Parkrun guide the set up costs as being in the region of £6,000 with half coming from sponsors such as Lucozade etc in the UK.

Irish sponsors would need to be found or the Irish based versions of the UK sponsors to make up the funding. It is a franchise (ish) type of arrangement with race timing software, chips etc being provided by Parkrun and obviously the affilliation and association with Parkrun UK.

The question is whether local authorities would have funding to help what is not a 'competitive' race in the true sense of the word. It is easier to think of it along the lines of a chip timed personal TT. More seasoned athletes are going to use the Parkrun as part of their training whereas (for example) it would be considered a goal race for Fit4Life or C25k runners.

The draw would be from each local community as opposed to say the Phoenix Park race series where people turn up from all over the country.

Lots to be working on!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

The question is whether local authorities would have funding to help what is not a 'competitive' race in the true sense of the word. It is easier to think of it along the lines of a chip timed personal TT. More seasoned athletes are going to use the Parkrun as part of their training whereas (for example) it would be considered a goal race for Fit4Life or C25k runners.

The draw would be from each local community as opposed to say the Phoenix Park race series where people turn up from all over the country.

I think the local authorities would be much more likely to fund something that's community based and is going to be aimed at groups like Fit4Life or C25K. I can give you the name of the best person to speak to in DLRCC if you were looking to get this going.

That'd be great Sprocket77, thanks. Can you PM info to me, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Check out Fundit.ie.

"Fund it is an Ireland-wide initiative that provides a platform for people with great ideas to attract funding from friends, fans and followers across the world."

Basically it allows you to fundraise. I.e 600 people agree to donate €10. Works out great for some projects such as the arts etc. I think the clause is that you need to get the total amount requested else you get nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Why not leverage the local Fit4Life runs that are already in existence, these do charge €5, but that's a nominal charge for a measured fun/competitive/threshold run with others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

I think there is massive potential for a successful Parkrun in Dublin. I lived in London where there were plenty of Parkruns on my doorsteps. Having recently returned to Ireland I noticed a hike in the prices of race entries. The Parkruns in UK were free, with chip timings, and always with a good atmosphere. I think with a decent sponsor to kick it off, it'd be a real winner.
    It's a great event, with the 5k distance offering something for every runner.

With the massive upsurge in the numbers of people running now in Ireland I could see a Parkrun being sustainable on the North and Southside of the city. Hopefully, something will come of it.

Fingers crossed.

parkrun's are not chip timed.

You print out your own barcode once you are registered, I laminated mine so that it survives rain/ sweat/ mud, and that is then all you need to do to run at any parkrun anywhere in the world. At the finish they have someone with the timer clicking a button as each person crosses the line and then someone else at the end of the finish chute handing out position tokens. Someone else then scans in your barcode and your finish position code and that is what links the times together for each person.

This is a video of them handing out the finish position tokens at Bushy parkrun where they have upwards of 700 people running now:

Just bumping this thread. When it was posted way back I made a few enquiries about starting a Parkrun event in Malahide castle. (www.parkrun.com is the site for anyone who doesn't know about it). It's a free, weekly 5km individually timed run event, held on an accurately measured course in a public park)

The local council (Fingal) were pretty enthusiastic but didn't have the funds at the time to start it going, and it kind of stalled there.

Anyway, it turns out we have been short-listed for an award from the Coca-cola fund to get it going, and in fact this would fund the startup of more events in other parks. Part of the decision for the award is based on a public vote.

So, I'm hoping that the boardsies and A/R/Tists (or is that A/Rists now?) and their friends could help by voting (for "parkrun") at the coca-cola page below.

The link to the page is http://www.coca-cola.ie/community/thank-you-fund/thank-you-fund-voting-form.html

I'd like to say vote early and vote often :) But, the link takes you to Facebook where you have to login. So, you only have one vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Voted, good luck plodder but there are plenty of good causes there.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Voted, good luck plodder but there are plenty of good causes there.
    Thanks Roy, there are indeed. I should mention there is a winner and ten runners-up. Even the runners up get a decent wad. Enough to get a few of these events going anyway.

Also, the purpose of the fund is to support "an innovative approach to the promotion of active lifestyles in Irish communities". I think it ticks the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 conwap

Hi Plodder,

How did you go with the coca cola funding? Is parkrun still a runner?

conwap wrote: »
    Hi Plodder,

How did you go with the coca cola funding?
    Conwap. The result of the coca cola funding will be announced early November as far as I know.
    Is parkrun still a runner?
    Stay tuned. Hope to announce something soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I don't know if it's any use to those here, but there's a few Park Run's in the north. One of them isn't too far from where I'm from up home so I might try it out some weekend I'm home.

Bump..

Just to let you all know, we are starting a parkrun event at Malahide Castle, Malahide, Co. Dublin on Sat November 10th at 9:30am, and every Saturday at the same time from then on.

The parkrun.ie website isn't quite ready yet. But, we have a Facebook page Malahide parkrun which will be updated with all the details as they are ready. Hope to see some of you for the first event and maybe as regulars too. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Would be great if Tramore Valley Park in Cork once open could be used for one of these.

Advertisement