Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going a bit mad trying to pick an e-cigarette

Options
  • 29-12-2011 12:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    I'm trying to choose an e-cigarette starter kit but I'm a bit lost.
    I'm a heavy smoker so I'd like a nice throat hit with a high nicotine content

I am considering http://www.ecigwizard.com/shop/en/ego-tank/124-ego-tank-starter-kit.html

I'm in the dark here so any thought or advice would be appreciated.:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the tank system is what a lot of people start off on cos it's pretty straightforward. Alot of us though find that it was too.. fiddly. Personally, I got sick of the leaking and dry hits and haven't used a tank since the first few months after I started.
    my personal preference would be dual coil cartomizers. they cost aobut 2 euro each, can last you anywhere from 4-5 days to 2 weeks, depending on how long and often you vape. they're disposable products so you can run into a bad one here and there, if you buy 5.. 1 might be a dud that only lasts a day or two before crapping out, you might get really unlucky and catch 2 or 3 that are duds. but you'd have to be really unlucky for that to happen.
    now while that can happen, like I said they only cost 2 euro each so if you keep a few in stock as backups this wont be much of an issue.. it's just part and parcel of being an early adopter of a new technology.

http://www.thebestshop.eu/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/ego-t-dcc-promotional-starter-kit/prod_207.html
    is what i'd reccomend.

you could prob shave a few quid off that order by just ordering the listed pieces individually (whatever you do, don't get clear dual coils. ****ing terrible). if you think you want the carry case, then get the starter kit just for simplicities sake. but in a years vaping i've never once had the thought "damn, i wish i had a carry case for my ecig" it just goes in the pocket and that's that.

oh, and as for nic content/throat hit. youd probably wanna go for 24mg or 18mg juice. ive got a few friends to buy ecigs in the last few months. all the same **** i'm reccomending to you, and what i've told them is to buy a few 10ml bottles of juice to start off with. you get a feel for what flavour you like, and if you're not sure about strength buy a couple of 24mg and a couple of 18mg.
    if you're a pack or more a day person, 24mg is probably what you want but a friend of mine who smoked similar amounts found 24mg a bit too much and quickly moved to 18mg so.. *shrug* :)

you'll end up saving money in the long run, and you'll be a bit healthier.. but it will require a bit of umm... experimentation and spending initially. juice costs **** all in 10ml bottles, so no harm to try a few things out as you're starting.

oh, and 10% discount code of 'Irishvape'

oh
    and you'll want a drip tip
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/drip-tips/delrin-drip-tip-510/901/prod_166.html
    or http://www.thebestshop.eu/drip-tips/joye-306-transparent-driptip/prod_160.html

not strictly neccesary, but better than wrapping your lips directly around the cartomizer

oh, and since you're in galway you might be able to collect the ecig stuff directly from thebestshop. not sure about their new years opening hours, but fire off an email before you order and ask. ordering from the irish sites tends to be next day in post, but if you're local might be as handy to just collect it in person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I started by using the 510 and prefilled carts. Nearly put me off forever. Batteries only lasted about an hour and a half and the carts kept going dry. Not to mention that the whole thing was messy. Went to 510 tank which was an improvement but still not great.

I find the eGo batteries and DCC XL works pretty well and is not messy. Just top up when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

What Digby said and youll be off to a good start.
    The price of a weeks smokes will keep you vaping for 2 weeks. From then on all youll need is juice and carts, I get away with about 7euro a week now.
    Next budget you can think of the increase in cigarettes as a refund from the Gov. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Thanks Sir Digby. I just wouldn't know what I was at. :)

I've just had a look through the links you provided and stuck a few things in the basket186642.jpg

So I think I'm ready to order. I hope I haven't forgotten anything.

Thanks again folks

• Advertisement

looks good
    the usa mix is a nice juice. one thing I forgot to mention, dont expect it to taste like a marlboro cigarette. all the tobacco juices are tobacco...ish, you wont find one that actually tastes like a cigarette, or at least if there's one out there I haven't heard of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

Might be too late but I would order a few additional dual coil carts. A pack of 5 would be a good start.

Also might be worth ordering a few 10ml bottles @ €4 a piece from the same place.

I started with lots of tobacco flavours and rarely use them now, maybe RY4 occasionally, I generally prefer fruit and menthol flavours now.

well he has six in that order
    unless he's the unluckiest man on the planet, that oughta last him at least a week or two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

well he has six in that order
    unless he's the unluckiest man on the planet, that oughta last him at least a week or two :)

Sorry, yeah that should keep him going :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Pity you cant just go into a shop and have a look or ask some questions before buying. Particularly if buying for the first time.

• Advertisement

yeah, but when's the last time you got better advice in a mobile phone or computer shop than on boards.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Hope Im not hi-jackin the thread but feelin the exact same as the title thread-Goin mad trying to pick one!

I had an njoy cigarette before, used it for about a week, was def on the full switch over when the charger I was using stopped working. I emailed them several times and their head office in america and got no resolution. The njoy used cartridges but the battery was appalling. So now Im looking for an upgrade! I've read everything on here and seems a bit overwhelming!

Not the heaviest smoker but enough so that I have to give up. Like the strong cigarettes too (rothmans) so that might give ya an idea. I'm lookin to get started as soon as possible!

Any help appreciated
    y

hrm
    the starter kit crinkelite ordered is out of stock again from TBS
    probably best to just order all the contents individually
    ill edit this post in a few minutes with what i'd reccomend, and what crinkelite got up above

http://www.thebestshop.eu/batteries/joye-ego-battery-all-types-/prod_191.html the batteries. you can decide what size battery you want based on how often you think you'll be away from a charger. if you'll be at home for a good chunk of the day, or in a car with a car charger you can probably get away with the 650mha. otherwise get the 900 or 1000, they're a bit bigger in terms of length but they last quite a bit longer than the 650's.

http://www.thebestshop.eu/blank-cartomizers/dual-coil-lr-xl-cartomizer/prod_196.html the cartomizer. prob best to buy 4 or 5 of these with your first order just so you have spares and in case you're unlucky and run into one or two that die after a couple of days. That can happen, but they only cost 2 euro a pop so it's not the end of the world when it happens. when i used dcc's i was getting about a week out of them before I threw them out, I probably could have stretched them longer each time but like I said.. at 2 euro a pop I just didn't care.
    get the black or stainless steel ones, avoid the clears. awful awful stuff.

http://www.thebestshop.eu/joye-ego-and-ego-t/spare-parts-for-joye-ego/fast-usb-charger-for-joye-ego/tornado/eco-ego/riva/prod_111.html charger for the battery

http://www.thebestshop.eu/accessories/mains-to-usb-adaptor/prod_60.html wall plug for the charger. worth having imo, as i can never get mine to charge off the computers usb for some reason

http://www.thebestshop.eu/drip-tips/transparent-drip-tips/prod_146.html drip tip, mainly to save yourself from having to wrap your lips around the cartomizer

once you've ordered them just have a look here http://www.thebestshop.eu/standard-eliquid-pg-/-vg/cat_6.html
    at the juices. i'd reccomend you get 2 or 3 10ml bottles to start off with, just so you get a feel for a few different flavours. from what you decribed 18mg would probably be best for you strength wise
    the ry4 is pretty popular, im currently loving the wensten/winston flavour and the marlboro/usa mix gets good reviews too.

i think that's everything
    oh, discount code of IRISHVAPE for thebestshop iirc has 10% off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

As you used an N-Joy you know that e-cig are not exactly like ready made cigs but once you have the nic and the habit its all good. At this stage I couldn't go back.
    Anything with a good battery life like the ego type will give a good hit. Get a pair of batts and some caromizers, some juice and your have basically the same set up as the N-Joy but with better batt life (4 to 6 hrs).
    Choice of cart? Get a few reg res, a few lo res and some DC's
    Linkys;
    Batts;
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/batteries/joye-ego-t-battery-all-types-/prod_192.html
    And this http://www.thebestshop.eu/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=111
    A charger, might want a wall plug adapter as well.
    Cartos;
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/blank-cartomizers/cat_37.html
    Liquid;
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/standard-eliquid-pg-/-vg/cat_6.html
    Comes to about 50 euro, enough for 3 weeks light vaping but running costs after that; more carts and juice.
    Good luck with it.

Thanks for all those recommendations
    Seem excellent
    So I should buy all separate?

Would the ego t or the 510 t might be better starter packs?

Cheers guys

id say its better to go seperate, the tanks are kinda fiddly and can be prone to leaking or performance issues
    great when they work, but they dont work well too often to justify the cost

Ok So I need to order

battery
    Cartomiser
    charger
    drip tip
    and juice
    and Im away to go?

yepyep
    i'd reccomend 2 batteries and minimum 3-4 cartomizers
    you can get away with only one battery, but it's a pain waiting for it to charge when you are wanting a smoke

Cheers Digby

Your a wealth of information
    Totally simple here!
    Will order them in the morn and might throw up my order if I get the chance
    Def will order extra battery and cartomizers

Thanks again

np :)

• Advertisement

Heres a screen cap of order I hope

all looks great :) hope you enjoy it when it lands

Done! Ordered! Couldnt wait till morning!

Thanks again for everything
    Will be back on to ya when it arrives!

cool :)
    should have it by friday, major benefit of having irish sites selling this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Having tried a few different juices I've more or less settled on coffee flavour. I have a couple of big bottles of Dunhill and Silk Cut flavour if anyone wants to swap for something else.
    I don't think tobacco flavour is the best way to go, once you've tried more 'normal' ones you'll find the tobacco flavour too harsh. I don't think anyone would actually put tobacco in the pleasant taste category.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

youngblood wrote: »
    Ok So I need to order

battery
    Cartomiser
    charger
    drip tip
    and juice
    and Im away to go?
    One extra thing I found good in the starter kit is the carry case. You can carry the made up e-Cig in your pocket easily enough, but the case is handy for bringing a spare battery, spare cartomisers and bottles of juice around. It's probably not the best case, it's too big for trouser pockets, and you may already have something you can use, but it's something to think of.

Alll arrived this morning

Like Christmas all over again

Have the battery chargin,
    so will prob be another 3 or so hours before I get to use it as its
    the large battery

Any tips before I start?

not really, all pretty straightforward from here :)

Ok, all charged, filled up cartomizer,

When i press the white button to smoke I hear a sizzling sound?

Normal?
    Overfill?Underfill?
    Im gettin a hit, but not much vapour, its 18mg USA mix, used about 10-14 drops as I rotated the cartomizer

There was also a white foamy bit on the cartomizer which I needed to remove to fill it up, does this need to go back? Not sure the drip thing will fit on to it if I put it back?
    Sorry for the all the questions but

Dont want to burn it out!

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

when you put the last couple of drops in did any juice come out of the battery end of the cartomizer? that's how you know it's full, the juice just drops out the bottom instead of soaking into the filler

you may have overfilled it.. in which case just keep vaping away and you'll use up the excess quickly enough and performance will improve. if it's underfilled you should be getting a dry/burnt taste rather than a good taste/lack of vapour. it sounds like overfilling, but like I said you'll find out soon enough as performance oughta improve.
    might be no harm to just drop in more juice until you notice it dripping out of the bottom at the battery end, then just wipe the battery connection down and you're set.

yeah throw away the soft white cap, it's only there so you can vape on the atomiser without a drip tip but drip tips are just better.

Advertisement