Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-topic/chat thread

Options
  • 19-08-2011 3:38pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, a couple of people have suggested this and I reckon it's a good idea - basically, this thread is for general chat and talking about anything that doesn't really deserve a thread of its own.

Given the day that's in it, I'm right now counting down the minutes to getting out of work and going for a quiet pint.

What are ye planning for the weekend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Good idea :) Half day fridays for me..mega yay!

Going to Leicester to see some friends, for a natter and a laugh. So cannot attend BB11 with silvervixen, but I watched ten seconds of last nights show and hope that Essez wan gets the boot!

RIGHT! Before this descends into a horrible BB rant, I'm off to do some baking and some crafting before packing the bags!

Have a nice weekend everyone :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oooh, baking eh? Anything fun?

I'm glad I planned the afterwork pint, today's been a bit of a disaster at work. Nothing like an exploding network switch to throw your day off...

Have fun in Leicester :)

that sucks fysh, a work meltdown. A pint is always a winner. Unfortunately wine took over baking and fyi, it would be healthy scones...ask nicely and there may be nice sugary treats at the next beers :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Hi everyone, didn't get into Big Brother in the end, got there a bit later than planned and they already had filled the allocation! Wasn't too bothered about it really, just felt it was a wasted trip. Watched it on TV instead with pizza and beer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Work up pretty early this morning (10am is early for a Saturday, yes?) feeling strangely happy and awake which would be unprecedented on any other morning but was especially bizarre today given the alcohol-fuelled nature of last night. Went out with some people after work around King's X and Angel and had one of those unexpectedly great nights. YAY.

Have absolutely nothing I have to do this weekend. Bliss! Thinking about heading down to Borough Market for a hangover burger and maybe braving town to get some makeup and crap.

OOH, ALSO! I have only just discovered the awesomeness of the Prince Charles cinema just off Leicester square. Sigh. I love it so. Saw Dr. Strangelove there last week and probably going to go see Breakfast at Tiffany's there tomorrow night (although when I suggested this to my friend, he replied that he'd never seen it but that 'we might both kinda like it'. Obviously in response to such awful song-quoting I immediately told him we can no longer be friends).

PS: Great idea for a thread, Fysh!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Just saw your invitation from last night on Twitter now Stargal, thanks a million but ended up just chilling at home in the end. Glad ye had a blast though!

I'm just watching Ireland v France on the tellybox now. Have no other plans for the weekend :D

Had to dye my own hair today for the first time since my friends moved back home, hope it isn't a disaster...

Had to dye my own hair today for the first time since my friends moved back home, hope it isn't a disaster...

Ha, the first time I dyed my own hair when I moved over was terrifying!! My mam usually does it :) Hope it went well!

It came out grand, I was a bit worried as I had to mix two different brands of semi-perm together. It's nice and bright again so I'm happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Soft day init

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Soft day init

A Greek guy at work said that to me today, I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about, then he said he loved that Irish phrase, so I laughed and said ohh me too. Man I felt out of the loop!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

delta720 wrote: »
    A Greek guy at work said that to me today, I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about, then he said he loved that Irish phrase, so I laughed and said ohh me too. Man I felt out of the loop!!

And here was me wondering if I was the only one wondering what was going on...

Yeah, today's weather was a bit feeble, but on the other hand if we get rid of this humidity soon I won't be too upset.

I know yeah, decided to bring my coat to work this morning because of the rain, but it was so muggy I was roasting after a while :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Fysh wrote: »
    And here was me wondering if I was the only one wondering what was going on...

Yeah, today's weather was a bit feeble, but on the other hand if we get rid of this humidity soon I won't be too upset.

Can we get rid of the big issue sellers along with the humidity , they have become a plague in the west end over the last twelve months

In other news looks like the last post

Inspired by the Luas thread in AH, I checked if there was a tube version, and there is! Cool or creepy?

http://tubecrush.net/

Inspired by the Luas thread in AH, I checked if there was a tube version, and there is! Cool or creepy?

http://tubecrush.net/

Some very funny comments on there :)

That being said, I was expecting it to be more of a "missed connections/personals" thing than totty-spotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Has any one tried Gordons at embankment?

Had a great night there last night! wine by the bottle or barrel if you want! and you get a chopping board full of cheese.

Great place for a date as its quiet and loads of sitting outside!

Ooh, that sounds lovely, must check it out sometime!

Was thinking of going to see The Guard during the week, if anyone's interested in joining me, let me know :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1540133/

Oooh, I'm up for that. Where were you thinking of catching it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

i wanna see the inbetweeners...id say its really cringey :D

• Advertisement

I'm thinking Tuesday or Thursday for The Guard, once it doesn't clash with quiz night ;) It seems to be on in lots of cinemas so not really worried about location or time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

afatbollix wrote: »
    Has any one tried Gordons at embankment?

Had a great night there last night! wine by the bottle or barrel if you want! and you get a chopping board full of cheese.

Great place for a date as its quiet and loads of sitting outside!
    Only good if it's not winter, as the chances of getting a seat inside are slim to none!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

true Its tiny inside :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

What did ye get up to for the bank holiday?

People from the church I went to on Sunday invited me to go on a walk with them to Box Hill in Surrey. Took the train from Victoria and then went up the hill from the train station. Amazing views & scenery would recommend it to anyone.

You made good use of the bank holiday. :) Today I went to Westfield with a friend to pick up a few bits for our holiday. Wrecked now though so watching Inception in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

First time all year I've actually had a bank holiday off but ended up kind of squandering it. I'd worked seven days in a row and then went out last night and played drunken poker in a friend's gaff until 2am, so today was basically recovery day. Watched around 9 episodes of West Wing series 4, made risotto, *didn't* go to the Notting Hill carnival, checked my bank balance and nearly had a heart attack, did some random beauty crap, and then realised it's exactly one year to the day since I moved over here so I bought myself a cupcake to celebrate. It's been a good year, I think, even if today won't exactly feature in the highlights reel.

A Yay/Boo Analysis (yes, it's a Thing, damnit) of today:

Boo:
    • It's 6:40something and I've already been awake for almost half an hour
    • I'm back to work today
    • It's not yet payday

Yay:
    • 4-day week
    • Tomorrow is payday
    • Shiny new toys are arriving this week
    • Pub quiz tomorrow
    • The weather is getting autumny and it'll soon be the time of year for shoofing through leaves in Hampstead Heath

On the whole I reckon the day and the week should be grand :)

Had my day visit for the four days, so pretty tired today as we did a lot of stuff..

Imperial War Musuem near Waterloo..really interesting exhibition on the Holocaust and also on Wartime children. You'd spend a day there really.
    Went to Greenwich to see the Cutty Sark which was sadly covered up in tarp as it was being worked on, walked around the palace grounds (the observatory was up a hill, too steep!!) and bought some books in the Greenwich market. Small but nice for something different.

Stayed local yesterday and drank coffee..

Watched True Grit, The Departed and Inception :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Imperial War Musuem near Waterloo..really interesting exhibition on the Holocaust and also on Wartime children.
    I don't like the apparent glorification of war machines on the ground floor, but the exhibits downstairs are really good - excellent place to learn some history.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    I don't like the apparent glorification of war machines on the ground floor, but the exhibits downstairs are really good - excellent place to learn some history.

Me neither, but honestly, I found it less 'in your face' than some other war museums. I'd recommend the exhibitions down stairs fore sure, especially the photography and items that children had during the war. like letters home etc.

Advertisement