Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 'improvers' thread

Options
  • 26-04-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

This thread might die for lack of interest, but there are bound to be a bunch of people running their second or later marathons in Dublin this year, looking for times between 3 and 4 hours, and wanting to discuss training, race strategies, whatever. It could be intimidating for the novices if that kind of discussion appears in 'their' thread, so maybe here instead?
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    What training plans are people following NOW rather than what they will be doing in a couple of months?
    I was following Ryan Hall's half marathon plan as I found it gave a good mixture of decent long (ish) runs as well as intervals and speed work.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-12006-0,00.html
    I do a lot of multi sport races which will be my main focus for the summer so hoping to combine a marathon training schedule with cycling.

I'm (more or less) following a 10k plan at the moment, trying to get a bit faster before starting the P&D <55 mpw plan in June.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

I'm not following any plan at the moment as such. I'm getting out 4-5 times a week, which includes 1 track session and 1 LSR at the weekends.

I can't believe how fast the months are going by - it won't be long until marathon training starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

I am delighted to see this thread, had debated posting on novice thread, but felt it was maybe a question beyond novice running (although I don't consider myself to be in any way fast, accomplished or experienced, just a great big plodder).
    I am currently training for the Cork marathon and will also hopefully do Dublin this year. My previous marathon times are 4.13, 3.53 and 3.39. My first one was done on the back of minimal training whereas my 2nd and third were done following Hal Higdon programmes fairly closely.
    I'd love to have a crack at breaking 3.30, so My question is this:
    Why am I finding my PMP runs so difficult? I do my LSRs at about 9 min pace and have v few problems, and i do mile repeats at the track once a week at 6.50 pace and again i don't find them a big problem (wrecked afterwards always, but not unduly so). But when I try to do the PMP runs at 8 min pace, i feel tired, sluggish, like i can't continue. Is this psychological?? Or would everyone find these hard, given that they combine a bit of speed and a bit of endurance, whereas the other two runs have only one or the other? I generally run 5 times a week, I don't feel I can train more and i rarely feel over-trained.
    Or is it that 8 min pace is just too ambitious at this stage? Should I shelve my hopes for sub 3.30 for a while?? When I ran 3.39 in Dublin last year, the whole thing went perfectly, ran a slightly negative split and felt my training had been bang on (original aim was 3.45).
    Any thoughts welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I think these threads are very well timed. By my reckoning there's 27 weeks till DM so the next 7-9 weeks should be about building a base so that you can launch straight into a P&D or JD.
    I'll be using this thread myself for a bit of support and hopefully we can get a good gang together and start meeting for lsrs and tempo runs of the sort.

Corkie100 wrote: »
    Or is it that 8 min pace is just too ambitious at this stage?

I think you just answered your own question. I'm not sure where I read it but apparently you should be running what your current marathon pace is and not what your hoping to achieve (I'm sure there are others who might disagree). With 27 weeks to go you have plenty of time to get sub 3'30.
    I have a similar PB to yourself 3'37 and I'll also be hoping for sub 3'30 so welcome aboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Woddle wrote: »
    I think you just answered your own question. I'm not sure where I read it but apparently you should be running what your current marathon pace is and not what your hoping to achieve (I'm sure there are others who might disagree). With 27 weeks to go you have plenty of time to get sub 3'30.
    I have a similar PB to yourself 3'37 and I'll also be hoping for sub 3'30 so welcome aboard.
    +1. Let your training over the next couple of months bring you to 8min/ml. ATM try 8:30 and see what happens. You can slowly bring the down as you get fitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think Corkie is planning to race... Cork so isn't so far away from his goal race.
    What does your normal training week look like? Are you following a particular plan? What are your race times for other distances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

There are two schools of though on this. One is by going for the PMP you are training your body to run at that pace so that come race day you are used to it.
    Second is running at Current Marathon pace (relative to fitness not you most recent marathon time unless it is in the last month or two max). The idea here is that by running at this pace you are training your body at pace which you get optimum benefit running too fast means you are changing the dynamics of training session
    Personally I am of the second school of though as to me it makes more sense for the same reasons you dont run intervals too fast

RayCun wrote: »
    I think Corkie is planning to race... Cork so isn't so far away from his goal race.
    What does your normal training week look like? Are you following a particular plan? What are your race times for other distances?

Actually her goal race, I'm female!
    Well, I'm inclined to agree with earlier post and my original thoughts were to go for 3.30 in Dublin and just take it handy in Cork. My 3.39 was in Dublin last october, but i would if anything feel fitter now. My Training week usually has one interval session (4 x mile repeats at 6.50 pace), one lsr (now up to 20 miles at 9 min pace), one PMP run (as complained about earlier) and usually 2 other recovery runs of varying distances and speed (depending on who's around to drag along with me!). I must admit i probably over-race if anything, I do a lot of shorter races so these might be taking the spring out of my step too! My current Pbs (from 2011) are:
    5 mile: 35.10
    10km: 43.30
    10 Mile: 72. 20
    Half-mara 1.40 (from Dec 2010)
    Thanks for all comments so far, am inclined to think some of it is psychological too though, as i spend most of my paced run thinking 'oh God I'd never manage 26 miles at this pace' etcetc and i usually feel much better after a few miles. I'll try a few PMP runs at a slower pace and see what happens, if it's very much more comfortable then I have my answer.

Apologies :o

It sounds like you should be well capable of running 8 minute miles in training. If you're feeling bad immediately (as opposed to feeling wrecked when you finish) maybe it is psychological.
    Perhaps you're having trouble finding the sweet spot in between your harder intervals and the easier LSR and recovery runs?

Corkie

It could be the fact your body isnt fresh. Remember before race day you will have a teper so the body will be fresh and they wont feel half as bad. Out of interest how long are your PMP runs? how does this mileage compare to that of your overall weekly mileage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

Completed the DCM 2010 in 3:57 so i'm planning on pushing for 3:30. I think it might be a bit ambitious but its my goal for the year.

I'm feeling much fitter this year and ran a 10k in 42 mins 2 weeks ago and a forest/road race 5miles in 32.38 so my times are much quicker than this time last year.

In training for the Kildare half so i'm hoping to get close to 1:32/1:34.

itsalltrue wrote: »
    Completed the DCM 2010 in 3:57 so i'm planning on pushing for 3:30. I think it might be a bit ambitious but its my goal for the year.

I'm feeling much fitter this year and ran a 10k in 42 mins 2 weeks ago and a forest/road race 5miles in 32.38 so my times are much quicker than this time last year.

Based on those times 3'30 is definitely achievable if not better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

itsalltrue wrote: »

This year off a 32'55 5 mile and a 1'32 half I ran 3'24 in Barcelona. Sub 3'30 should not be a bother, maybe even target sub 3'20. The kildare half will give you an idea of where you're at, but you will also improve between now and DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Great to see this thread.

I am jsut getting back into the swing of things from several months off.

Have been doing max of 20-25 miles a week for the last 3-4 weeks.

I did Dublin the last 2 years and came in at 3.27 in both races. Made a slight improvement of 20 secs in one year.

i am aiming for 3.15-3.20. What training plans can people recommend?

cheers

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

potsy11 wrote: »
    Great to see this thread.

I am jsut getting back into the swing of things from several months off.

Have been doing max of 20-25 miles a week for the last 3-4 weeks.

I did Dublin the last 2 years and came in at 3.27 in both races. Made a slight improvement of 20 secs in one year.

i am aiming for 3.15-3.20. What training plans can people recommend?

cheers

P&D plans (most likely 18 week 55 mile plan) would be well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

None atm... Base work for the next month or so. Will start on a programme near the end of May. Will be coming looking for advice on good ones then... Shall pop in from time to time between then though to say hello

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

P&D plans (most likely 18 week 55 mile plan) would be well worth a look.

+1, the 12 week version worked pretty well for me but I did have a reasonable base mileage prior to starting (~40m/week).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I bet corkie if you get a bit of company for your 8 min mile pmp runs you will feel 10 times better. In your mind it sounds like you have built it up as a big deal and you are suffering. According to your times 8 min miles should be no bother to you. 8 min miles and 7 min miles ect... is just a mental barrier, they are just like any other time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Good to see this thread. I am hoping to make BQT at longford or Galway with a sub 3:30 or if that fails try a 3:25 in DCM for 2013.

My previous best is 3:51 in athens last year.

Its a bit of a long shot given my recent shorter times are a bit on the slow side.

10K 46:25
    Ten Mile 77:24

Plan following 18 week P&D up to 55 mile schedule and losing 3-4 Kilos in an effort to get me over the line.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    I bet corkie if you get a bit of company for your 8 min mile pmp runs you will feel 10 times better. In your mind it sounds like you have built it up as a big deal and you are suffering. According to your times 8 min miles should be no bother to you. 8 min miles and 7 min miles ect... is just a mental barrier, they are just like any other time.

I think you're spot on with this one, because although I said earlier I find speed work ok, I know that's only because I run in a group at the track and the buzz and chat keeps me going. I also do the long runs in a group when possible, although this is the one session I really don't mind doing on my own. I am currently trying to round up a few pals to do the pmp runs, think it will definitely help. My shorter race times continue to improve and as I have no probs getting the miles in for the long runs, I really don't think my target is over-ambitious.Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Great to see this thread set up. Originally at the start of the year my goal was to go sub 4:15 after my debut of 4:59 last year. Have kept up training over the winter averaging over 20 miles a week so am in a much better place starting off this year.

Did a 10K on Sunday evening in 48:26 which was a good PB for me and doing a half marathon in Dundalk this evening and Kildare Sunday week. After these it will be about picking the right training plan for Dublin and a Sub 4 attempt which I think is my new goal.

Looks forward to sharing lots of information and picking up lots of tips from everyone.

Will probably join more of the weekend LSR runs this year (did 1 last year) as my training partner for long runs announced yesterday she is due a baby on 31st October.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Will probably join more of the weekend LSR runs this year (did 1 last year) as my training partner for long runs announced yesterday she is due a baby on 31st October.

Probably not a good idea to have your goal race the day before - you might find your plans changing at very short notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

RayCun wrote: »
    Probably not a good idea to have your goal race the day before - you might find your plans changing at very short notice!

Haha. No she was only my training partner not my life partner. My wife is however due our first baby on 12th September so will have to factor this into training.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Haha. No she was only my training partner not my life partner. My wife is however due our first baby on 12th September so will have to factor this into training.

Without turning this into the 'baby / pregnancy due dates' - my wife is also expecting and due on the 17 October! She is going to the Rotunda so at least if she is overdue she can wave at me from the window!!:D

potsy11 wrote: »
    She is going to the Rotunda so at least if she is overdue she can wave at me from the window!!:D

Priorities, I like it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Didn't see this thread until today. Can I ask a noob question. What's a PMP? I get the impression its a longish run at expected race pace? How often are these done per the training plans, and up to what distance?

PMP is Planned Marathon Pace
    Training plans vary. Some would include a PMP run once a week (eg. Higdon novice 2), and others would have PMP miles as part of a longer, slower run (eg. the P&D plans). I think the most either of those would have is 9/10 PMP miles, but I'm sure there are other plans that contain more.

Didn't see this thread until today. Can I ask a noob question. What's a PMP? I get the impression its a longish run at expected race pace? How often are these done per the training plans, and up to what distance?

PMP = Projected Marathon Pace

Done usually between every 2-3 weeks as part of long run depending on the plan and some shorter runs specifically dedicated to this pace.

The other school of thought is to go by expected marathon pace at current fitness. The idea behind this is you are not trying to over reach and as such running at the correct paces to get optimum benefit from the training

Personally I would be of the second school of thought but there are many who swear by PMP ao i suppose what ever works personally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Thanks guys. I'll have a look at those plans and see what way they work this run into the program. My own training plan is going to be heavily tailored due to other activities and I still have to work that out and see how it's all going to fit in!!

I'm not an improver as such, but aiming for sub 3:15 should I come out of the tri season in one piece so I'll be dipping in here and in the novice thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Corkie100 wrote: »
    Or is it that 8 min pace is just too ambitious at this stage? Should I shelve my hopes for sub 3.30 for a while?? When I ran 3.39 in Dublin last year, the whole thing went perfectly, ran a slightly negative split and felt my training had been bang on (original aim was 3.45).
    Any thoughts welcome!

Hi Corkie

Just spotted this thread today. I could nearly have written your original post.

We are in a very similar place. I too am training for Cork. I too am hoping for 3:29:59. I too have real doubts about whether or not I can achieve this time. My level of optimism / pessimism is also driven by how I feel on my PMP runs.

My Saturday PMP runs are my most daunting run of the week. I cruise through my LSRs at around 8:45 pace with a sprinkling of 9:00 miles, not a bother. I ran tempos earlier in my schedule at peak pace 7:30, recently these hit sub 7:00 pace. I feel tired after tempos but not unduly so, it’s a tempo run after all.

But the PMP is where I ‘struggle’ (sometimes just mentally). I always hit my target it’s just some-days it feels like a lot of hard-work and I then I think there is no way I could keep this up for 26 miles.

One difference between us is that I made a decision before starting my schedule to run my PMP at 7:45 pace, that’s 15” faster than what I plan to run in Cork. Of late actually I’ve been running closer to 7:40 pace. This decision could blow up in my face, if it does I hope I can at least still PB in Cork.

While running my PMPs I’m optimistic because:

• I’m running 15” to 20” faster a mile than I’ll have to on race-day.
    • It feels easier now than when I started the program.
    • The marathon route will be flatter than this, and I always worry most about pace when I’m heading up a hill.
    • The second half of my 10 mile PMPs I’ve run faster than the first half.
    • I’ll be fresher on race day after a gorgeous three week taper. No tempos in the legs from earlier in the week.
    • I’ll have race-adrenaline on race-day that should make everything feel at least 5” a mile easier.
    • I’ll have people to talk to / listen to to make the miles pass easier. I’ve run all my PMPs on my own, obsessing over every step.
    • I’m now running on road, last year I ran 99% of my training on grass and suffered on race day accordingly.

3:30 will be a challenge for sure. But I guess that in itself is something to look forward to, it keeps me focused and it certainly stops me from being complacent in the build-up.

Good Luck, 32 days and counting!!

My PBs are:
    Marathon 3:51 Cork 2010 (first marathon)
    Half Marathon 1:40 Dublin 2010
    10 Mile 1:17 Frank Duffy 2010 (although I’ve done two consecutive 1:16s in training in the last few weeks, and I wasn’t racing these)
    I also ran Cork to Cobh last year 15M at 7:48 pace and felt relatively comfortable.

Advertisement