Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Brady won the US Nationals for the seventh time in eight years. A simply phenomenal achievement. He beat Charly Shanks in the final in two games straight. Heres his semi final game against Pittsburgh's Dave Fink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Interesting that the Sindo is predicting a narrow Cavan victory.

Must have the spuds now and head to Brewster early:D

C'mon CAVAN

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Interesting that the Sindo is predicting a narrow Cavan victory.

Must have the spuds now and head to Brewster early:D

C'mon CAVAN

Must be the first media outlet that has. Rumours abound that Corr will start midfield with McKiernan on the 40.

Wouldn't be a bad change as it'd allow Givney to go forward and Corr could stay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Cavan v Kildare in the qualifiers next round - now that'd be interesting stuff :p

Just back in the South!

Fantastic second half by the lads. At the end of the first half, I was very worried and worrying where all these rumours of plenty of high intensity training were coming from.

2 goals in 2 minutes and then the clincher lead to a fine win. 3-13 was a fine score to rack up too.

I can see us getting Kildare. It's written in the stars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

great win today but lets not get carried away its hard to know who would be best to get in the qualifiers, i'd like to get the sewer rats (monaghan)

cavan4sam wrote: »
    great win today but lets not get carried away its hard to know who would be best to get in the qualifiers, i'd like to get the sewer rats (monaghan)

We can get:

Limerick
    Kerry
    Tyrone
    Monaghan
    Leitrim
    Galway
    Wexford
    Kildare

I'd be hoping to stay away from an Ulster team tbh and praying for Leitrim!

Lemlin wrote: »
    We can get:

Limerick
    Kerry
    Tyrone
    Monaghan
    Leitrim
    Galway
    Wexford
    Kildare

I'd be hoping to stay away from an Ulster team tbh and praying for Leitrim!

Absolutely fantastic stuff from the lads today - done the county proud when the looked to be heading out with a whimper. But lets not get carried away. Realistically out of that group Leitrim would be the perfect draw, followed by Limerick - we want to avoid Kerry, Tyrone and Galway and get a bit of momentum going. But in saying all that I have a feeling that its going to be Cavan v Kildare in Breffni - its destined..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done Cavan,delighted for you all.

Have lots of relations in Cavan :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

I'd a feeling Cavan would take Fermanagh. I mean Fermanagh are no great shakes. I think too many were reading into the Canavan factor that hasn't really materialised. Its important for a county at Cavans level of development to win a qualifier or two. It should bring on a young team.

I wouldn't be too wary against ourselves Galway, especially if it was in Breffni Park. As a Galway fan I wouldn't relish playing Cavan in Breffni Park but then again there's not many I would.

• Advertisement

I'd a feeling Cavan would take Fermanagh. I mean Fermanagh are no great shakes. I think too many were reading into the Canavan factor that hasn't really materialised. Its important for a county at Cavans level of development to win a qualifier or two. It should bring on a young team.

I wouldn't be too wary against ourselves Galway, especially if it was in Breffni Park. As a Galway fan I wouldn't relish playing Cavan in Breffni Park but then again there's not many I would.

I always felt that Fermanagh was a good draw - we could believe that we had a chance and this team really needs a run of games to develop some self belief. I wouldn't fancy us against Galway in Breffni as we could be overawed if things started going wrong. Every team has bad patches in games but Cavan's confidence can be so brittle that they can crumble. And don't forget the beating the U21's took against Galway in Croker last year.

For Cavan today we got a goal and then followed up with another 2-3 in 8 minutes - we can do that against teams that we think we can match - done similar against Wicklow in 2010.

I think Hyland got the mix right today in terms of youth mixed with experience. You had experience in James Reilly, Podge, McKeever, Corr, Flanagan, Keating and Givney. And then the youth of Fergal Flanagan, Clarke, Tighe, McLoughlin, Brady, McKiernan, McDermott and Tierney.

What's interesting is that our best midfield was McKiernan and Corr when Givney was gone off and McKiernan moved into the forwards. I can't see Givney making the next match which is disappointing for him as he has suffered from injuries before.

The front 3 of McDermott, Keating and Brady were impressive and look like they could be a handful for any team.

I always felt that Fermanagh was a good draw - we could believe that we had a chance and this team really needs a run of games to develop some self belief. I wouldn't fancy us against Galway in Breffni as we could be overawed if things started going wrong. Every team has bad patches in games but Cavan's confidence can be so brittle that they can crumble. And don't forget the beating the U21's took against Galway in Croker last year.

Personally I would fancy Galway against Cavan but Galway have become very flaky. I definitely wouldn't put them on the same pedestal as Kerry and Tyrone. If I was a Cavan fan my preference would be for Leitrim, Limerick, Monaghan and Galway in that order. Kildare and Wexford wouldn't be the worst draws at home for differing reasons. ;)

Personally I would fancy Galway against Cavan but Galway have become very flaky. I definitely wouldn't put them on the same pedestal as Kerry and Tyrone. If I was a Cavan fan my preference would be for Leitrim, Limerick, Monaghan and Galway in that order. Kildare and Wexford wouldn't be the worst draws at home for differing reasons. ;)

Wouldn't disagree with the order of preferences too much - my main point about Galway is that as a big number of the lads would have experienced being battered by Galway last year and Galway with their tails up could cause us big problems ala Cork demolishing us in 2010. We could all do without a Cavan and Kildare draw and the circus that the media would make out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Just flicking through the Meath and Dublin games there and nearly getting banned for my input on the Kildare/Meath thread!!!! ,so i'm only posting my thoughts on the game now.
    It was a terrific last quarter from the lads scoring about 3-5 in less than 10 minutes.
    I don't like being negative,but i have to say that poor defensive discipline and poor shooting contributed to us going so far adrift.
    If we go so far behind a a better team we won't be making any comeback.
    However we have to give great credit to the likes of Niall Smith,Mossy Corr,two McKiernans,Keating,Brady and McDermott etc were terrific when the going got tough.Kevin Tierney also made a big impact when he came on as did Jason McLoughlin.
    The Junior's successful campaign has really added some options to the panel in Joshua Hayes,James Farrelly(allowing Fannin to become an option out the field),Darragh Tighe who started today and has allowed the likes of Rory Dunne and Damien Barkey to regain match fitness.
    Hopefully we can get one of the "easier teams" in round two and give this talented young bunch some more much needed experience at this level.

Wouldn't disagree with the order of preferences too much - my main point about Galway is that as a big number of the lads would have experienced being battered by Galway last year and Galway with their tails up could cause us big problems ala Cork demolishing us in 2010. We could all do without a Cavan and Kildare draw and the circus that the media would make out of it.

I see where your coming from alright, although the transition of some of our U21 winners has been somewhat blighted. I don't think Galway are capable of demolishing Cavan tbh. Beating them comfortably maybe but no more than that.

Anyway thats highly hypothetical. Be some laugh if the draw turns out that way.

I see where your coming from alright, although the transition of some of our U21 winners has been somewhat blighted. I don't think Galway are capable of demolishing Cavan tbh. Beating them comfortably maybe but no more than that.

Anyway thats highly hypothetical. Be some laugh if the draw turns out that way.

Reality Check,
    I was so impressed with a number of that Galway team especially both the 18/19 year old midfielders and Mark Hehir,Danny Cummins and Michael Boyle(in particular) in the forwards.
    I know Hehir played this year but what about the other stars on that team???? Have they played much senior football?

Hammar wrote: »
    Reality Check,
    I was so impressed with a number of that Galway team especially both the 18/19 year old midfielders and Mark Hehir,Danny Cummins and Michael Boyle(in particular) in the forwards.
    I know Hehir played this year but what about the other stars on that team???? Have they played much senior football?

Ya Hehir is the one who's made one of the bigger impacts. He scored a good goal against Roscommon can get one or two scores from play and importantly he's good from the frees. Having said that though, its at corner forward he's playing, not centre forward. He never really settled yet out the field.

The other player to make a more serious impact is Jonny Duane, who's playing centre back and looks reasonably solid.

Most of the others haven't really impacted yet. Flynn, one of the midfielders started both games this year but is a bit out of place at wing forward. The other midfielder (O'Curraoin) had a good year with DCU in the Sigerson but got injured and hasn't been available for selection until now. The full back Colin Forde made a decent impact last year but hasn't really featured this year. The likes of Boyle and Cummins haven't made the breakthough. Indeed Boyle was dropped from the panel there for a while.

To be honest, I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves. We did well to win today but, apart from Leitrim, Cavan would be an underdog against any of the sides we can potentially play.

Would be great to get a home draw and give a decent account of ourselves against some team in Breffni. What we don't want is a repeat of the Cork away game in 2010.

I can see us getting Kildare. The GAA know it'd get huge attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Brady's final in Los Caballeros, California against Shanks (Armagh) in the US Nationals.

• Advertisement

Ya Hehir is the one who's made one of the bigger impacts. He scored a good goal against Roscommon can get one or two scores from play and importantly he's good from the frees. Having said that though, its at corner forward he's playing, not centre forward. He never really settled yet out the field.

The other player to make a more serious impact is Jonny Duane, who's playing centre back and looks reasonably solid.

Most of the others haven't really impacted yet. Flynn, one of the midfielders started both games this year but is a bit out of place at wing forward. The other midfielder (O'Curraoin) had a good year with DCU in the Sigerson but got injured and hasn't been available for selection until now. The full back Colin Forde made a decent impact last year but hasn't really featured this year. The likes of Boyle and Cummins haven't made the breakthough. Indeed Boyle was dropped from the panel there for a while.

Interesting,Thanks for that.
    I wouldn't particularly like to see Cavan draw Galway in the draw tommorow morning.
    Theres so much talent in that Galway panel and they have the ability to destroy pretty much any of the round one qualifier winners,if they hit top form.
    Galways 11 goal rampage in which Meehan scored 4 on his own against Cavan in a challenge game about 10 years is something which always sticks in my mind,when Cavan and Galway are brought up together. :eek:

Hammar wrote: »
    Interesting,Thanks for that.
    I wouldn't particularly like to see Cavan draw Galway in the draw tommorow morning.
    Theres so much talent in that Galway panel and they have the ability to destroy pretty much any of the round one qualifier winners,if they hit top form.
    Galways 11 goal rampage in which Meehan scored 4 on his own against Cavan in a challenge game about 10 years is something which always sticks in my mind,when Cavan and Galway are brought up together. :eek:

That would be my fear too. You go into a Galway dressing room before a game and say "right boys we are playing Cavan today just go for it and express yourselves". The Galway lads would be ultra confident and could open Cavan up with the ability and talent they have ala Cork in 2010. Last thing this Cavan team needs at the minute.. it could really set them back.

That would be my fear too. You go into a Galway dressing room before a game and say "right boys we are playing Cavan today just go for it and express yourselves". The Galway lads would be ultra confident and could open Cavan up with the ability and talent they have ala Cork in 2010. Last thing this Cavan team needs at the minute.. it could really set them back.

Out of curiosity would you fear teams like Armagh (I know they're out) and Meath (can't happen)? Teams maybe around the level of Galway.I know tradition is important but still if ye're that worried about Galway, I don't know what ye're reaction would be to playing Kerry!

Granted the former U21's will have bad memories but as I said before Galway are exceptionally flaky.

Out of curiosity would you fear teams like Armagh (I know they're out) and Meath (can't happen)? Teams maybe around the level of Galway.I know tradition is important but still if ye're that worried about Galway, I don't know what ye're reaction would be to playing Kerry!

Granted the former U21's will have bad memories but as I said before Galway are exceptionally flaky.

Ulster teams may beat us but we are never really hammered by them - we'd respect them but have started to beat them at underage level especially Tyrone recently. Meath - we beat them in 2005 and they are neighbours and there would be no love lost between Cavan and Meath so for that reason alone we would give them a rattle. Cork, Kerry, Dubs - I fear we would be overawed by them and could be overrun. Galway to me have that ability and aura about them on a good day. Today was massive for the progression of this Cavan team but they are young and very light and need a few wins to progress at this level.

So the draw is made and the GAA blatantly show its rigged. Same as last year when Meath drew Louth.

I'm happy enough with a home draw against Kildare to be honest. If the players can't get motivated for that one, then they won't get motivated for anything. And there's a chance that we might actually be involved in a televised qualifier with all the hype.

Kildare will be raging hot favourites and rightly so. Cavan are at the start of what Hyland has said is a 3 to 4 year plan. Kildare are coming to the end of their plan. Hopefully we'll give a decent account of ourselves anyway.

At least we avoided Kerry and Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

i think its the draw we all wanted/dreaded
    i dont think we'll beat kildare but i do think we'll give them a good game we have nothing to lose , i doubt a certain former cavan player will figure but you never know with mc geeney , its nice to have the game in breffni too hopefully the supporters will turn out in big numbers for this one

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Wouldn't miss this one for the world. The lads should be up for this one big time so hopefully we can pull off a result.

i dont think we'll beat kildare but i do think we'll give them a good game we have nothing to lose , i doubt a certain former cavan player will figure but you never know with mc geeney , its nice to have the game in breffni too hopefully the supporters will turn out in big numbers for this one

I'd be hopeful that the people of the county will show up and get behind our young team. Only 5,000 turned up yesterday in Brewster so it was a poor showing from both sets of supporters, particularly as it was known the game would be nip and tuck and fairly close.

Anyone have any news on David Givney's injury?

To be honest I think we needed that draw like a whole in the head - dream draw for the GAA - this will be a sellout in Breffni and probably on the box. The Seanie hype just refuses to go away and it will be feverpitch between now and throw-in. I hope the Cavan lads keep the heads down and away from the media circus and do themselves justice on the day. Don't expect Cavan to win but all the pressure will be on Kildare. I really hope that for everyone's sake that McGeeney names his panel early and leaves Seanie out..

• Advertisement

To be honest I think we needed that draw like a whole in the head - dream draw for the GAA - this will be a sellout in Breffni and probably on the box. The Seanie hype just refuses to go away and it will be feverpitch between now and throw-in. I hope the Cavan lads keep the heads down and away from the media circus and do themselves justice on the day. Don't expect Cavan to win but all the pressure will be on Kildare. I really hope that for everyone's sake that McGeeney names his panel early and leaves Seanie out..

I think there's no questioning that Seanie will be left out of the Kildare panel. The one thing this match will do is help to get people interested in the team again, 5,000 fans yesterday from both sets of supporters was a poor showing. People need to get behind our young players and show them support.

Had an interesting look at yesterday's team. Now, some of the ages could be wrong (James Reilly's, Corr's and Damien Reilly's in particular) but the others are right I think. So we only had 3 players out of 15 over the age of 25 on the pitch yesterday. Even so-called seasoned players like Podge and Ronan Flanagan are still quite young.

Cavan -- J Reilly - over 30;
    D Tighe - 22,
    K Clarke - 18,
    P O'Reilly - 25;
    M McKeever 28,
    F Flanagan - 20,
    D Reilly - 23/24;
    D Givney - 23,
    T Corr - 28;
    N Smith - 22,
    G McKiernan - 22,
    R Flanagan - 25;