Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I find the Make Up Alley app so handy for when I'm about to make impulse purchases :D It stopped me wasting money on the Smashbox gel liner palette http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/itemid=76429

Repurchased YSL Touche Eclat foundation in BD20, lovely as always. I also got a lilac-ish pencil liner that is lovely for making your eyes look bigger. Pay day treats, back on a budget now!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

I actually have that installed on my phone never thought to consult it while mid impulse buy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I got a total bargain the other day - 30ml full tub of elemis pro collagen marine cream for €30 including postage :D even better the seller threw in a small tube of the papaya enzyme mask for free. Have heard so many good reviews of these products- hope they live up to the hype. Im only using the cream two days so cant say yet if its good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I actually have that installed on my phone never thought to consult it while mid impulse buy :D

Same here! I always check MUA and do a quick google search for review when I feel the impulse to buy something totally random. And I haven't done any really disastrous impulse buys in the last 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Treated myself to benefits new blush, Rockateur. Lovely bronze rose colour. I am very fair with blonde blonde hair and have always worn a very pink blush but this colour seems to go well with any colouring :)

Only downside is its half the amount you get in their usual blushes for the same price! Their reasoning is it is a more expensive blush..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

SmokeyEyes wrote: »

Vibrant Blue the lavender one looks lovely I wanted that one too it was really hard to decide which one!!

I was really undecided between shades too, even after doing swatches in person twice! But this one worked best for my skin tone. I look like I have warm undertones all over. But I have some cool tones at the perimeters of my face; and some olive tones going on at my neck and the sides of my face. It really helps me lift up the sallowness. It is one of the subtler ones. And I bought it to use it all over as a finishing powder, rather than as a highlighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Treated myself to Primping with the Stars the other day.
    BenefitStars3.jpg
    Excited to use it as I was planning on getting they're real and the porefessional!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

Ordered hourglass ambient lighting powder in ethereal light on the space nk website yesterday. Also ordered becca shimmering skin perfector in pearl, laura mercier secret camouflage in sc1 and a nars eyeshadow in ashes to ashes. Excited :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Picked up a sachet of Cocoa Brown 'Tough Stuff' because I had been searching for a really good exfoliating scrub (lots of them are far too 'gentle' for my tastes). It's really, really good. You wouldn't use it on any delicate skin because it's basically liquid sandpaper but my feet, legs and various other bits are like new. I had a horrible little patch of dry skin beside my ankle bone that seemed to have drunk some sally hansen and I couldn't get rid of it - gone! Have heard rumours they're going to bring out a big tub (currently only available in little sachets), fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Picked up a sachet of Cocoa Brown 'Tough Stuff' because I had been searching for a really good exfoliating scrub (lots of them are far too 'gentle' for my tastes). It's really, really good. You wouldn't use it on any delicate skin because it's basically liquid sandpaper but my feet, legs and various other bits are like new. I had a horrible little patch of dry skin beside my ankle bone that seemed to have drunk some sally hansen and I couldn't get rid of it - gone! Have heard rumours they're going to bring out a big tub (currently only available in little sachets), fingers crossed.
    They are bringing it out in a tube! much better than a tub which is a bonus! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've been using MAC Opulash for the last couple of weeks and I'm in love with it. It gives great length and volume, even better than my Bad Gal Lash. I might ask for another tube for Christmas so I won't run out.

I also bought Bourjois powder blusher in Lilas D'Or recently as I'd heard it was a dupe for Nars Orgasm. It's very pretty on, kind of a rose colour with gold shimmer but it's not too glittery for daytime. Not bad for 9e :)

nursemar88 wrote: »
    They are bringing it out in a tube! much better than a tub which is a bonus! :)

brilliant news! Its bloody great stuff :) I had a manky dry patch just under my knee and this was the only thing that got rid of it. The sachets are very messy so a tube would be brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Just bought the Manuka Honey Bee Venom Skin Treatment in Holland Barrett.

I have read great things about bee venom and this was only 26euro in comparison to the Rodial one which is over 100e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

After hearing about L'Oreal's new collection of nude lipsticks to suit different skin tones I couldn't stop myself from picking one up today.

10161455?wid=280&hei=343&op_sharpen=1

I'm usually a bit iffy on nude colours, but this one is just lovely. The one I bought was Julianne's Nude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I got Rebel by MAC today. Absolutely love it. Think I need a lip liner for under it though, any recommendations are appreciated!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

ShazGV, that lipstick looks lovely! Must get a look at the collection.
    Toast4532 wrote: »
    I got Rebel by MAC today. Absolutely love it. Think I need a lip liner for under it though, any recommendations are appreciated!

I used MAC Beet lipliner with Rebel when I had it. Lost the lippie though, shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

For some reason I usually give Benifit products a miss and I don't really know why because I've never tried many so I decided to pick up the Primping with the Stars kit because it has a few of their highest rated products in it and it was reasonably priced.

Benefit-All-Star-Kits-4844.jpg

I can't say I'm hugely impressed. I was really looking forward to trying the They're Real mascara because people rave about it all the time but it's not very good, I probably won't even use it again after trying it once. To get it right up to the end of your lashes hurts because the barbs on it are so sharp :( I tried it against the maxfactor masterpiece mascara I had been using and it didn't even come close. There wasn't nearly the same length or curl. Slightly more volume but not by much.

The face primer seems nice. I haven't played with it enough to know how it compares to others but so far it seems as good as Smashbox.

The eye primer is ok, it's a little yellow and fairly thick but it works well.

Some kind of gorgeous was too dark for me but I assumed it with be. It goes on nice tho, kind of similar coverage to a bb cream. Probably not something I would add to my everyday make up tho.

The tint is pretty bad. The colour is fairly weak and the texture isn't nice.

Girl meets pearl is nice and sparkly, but not something I would ever use.

Overall the primers are the only thing I can see myself using.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Ninaluna wrote: »
    It's my absolute favourite! I don't know why I buy any other foundations.

I know lots of people complained when they rejigged the formula but IMO it's better than ever, I'm flying from Dublin airport this weekend and can't wait to get another bottle :)

Is it cheaper to get from Dublin Airport than say Brown Thomas??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Is it cheaper to get from Dublin Airport than say Brown Thomas??

Normally about 10-15% cheaper for most brands :) I know I saved about 2 euro on a MAC blush when I last flew out.

You can view the MAC products and prices on the airport website

http://www.theloop.ie/

• Advertisement

brill I didn't know that! anyone know what time the make up stands open til on sunday evening? flying out and want to pick up double wear there as I checked that link and its cheaper than in debenhams or boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I decided to try out Gosh's BB Cream today because I want to cut down on the amount of time I spend on my make-up, and my mother swears by the stuff for keeping shine at bay.

Well it's not even 1pm and I've had to blot it and re-apply powder twice. Although, it has been quite muggy today, and I've been on a stuffy train and three stuffy buses. Also, the enlarged pores I have around my nose are there for the world to see.

I suppose it is quicker to use in the mornings and it gives you a 'my skin, but better' look. And the coverage isn't too bad, I only had to use concealer on a couple of spots and under my eyes as usual. I guess it'd be handy if you're in a rush but it's not great for oily skin.

brill I didn't know that! anyone know what time the make up stands open til on sunday evening? flying out and want to pick up double wear there as I checked that link and its cheaper than in debenhams or boots
    Make up stands in the airport or in stores like Debenhams etc?

All the stores have their opening times on their websites so you should be able to find out what time they open/close at etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

I'm flying out of Dublin airport on Monday and have decided I'm going to treat myself to 1-2 things when I'm there, but I have absolutely no idea what!

Any ideas? Absolutely anything! Would like to spend around €50 max, preferably on two things :)

EDIT: actually I do know something I reallyy want,a nice deep burgundy Brown eyeshadow.. Does anyone know of one from MAC?

(My name is sarah and I'm a shopaholic...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Hadn't been using expensive creams in a good while but decided to treat myself to Estee Lauder moisturiser as there is a (great!) free gift with 2 purchases in Debenhams at the moment. I was going to go for resilience lift but the sales girl recommended verite as my skin is a little bit sensitive and I was suffering from small spots on the hairline. I asked for a tester of the night repair serum too (as I was spending a small fortune!)
    Estee+Lauder+Verite+Moisturizer.jpg

Have to say its made my skin look so much better in only 10 or so days. Its plumper, smoother, softer and the small spots that I had on my hairline are more or less gone. My skin had been looking very dull but now its nearly glowing! Not sure is it the Night repair or verite or combination of both that is making the difference. Can't recall ever being this impressed with skincare products before!

The free gift is fab too. One of the 2 purchases has to be skincare or foundation. I got Bronze goddess perfume as my second purchase.
    d_201309_gwp-image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

PlayGirl wrote: »
    I'm flying out of Dublin airport on Monday and have decided I'm going to treat myself to 1-2 things when I'm there, but I have absolutely no idea what!

Any ideas? Absolutely anything! Would like to spend around €50 max, preferably on two things :)

(My name is sarah and I'm a shopaholic...)

Do you need anything in particular or are you just looking for a treat? :)

I love the MAC mineralize eyeshadows - they're about €18 in the airport. I recently got Gilt by Association and Young Punk. Perfect for night out make up. The pressed pigments are gorgeous too but I can't remember how much they cost, probably less than €20 though. I got Day Gleam, a really pretty, subtle shimmery golden brown.

If you're after a gel liner I can't recommend the Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gels enough. They last for ages and come in lots of different colours. They're about €19 each. I recently got a Bobbi Brown lipstick in Red 10 - a gorgeous vibrant pillar box red, it was about €19 too. Usually if you're buying a couple of things at the make up counters they will do your make up too, just something to bear in mind! :)

There's also L'Occitane - little sets of nice moisturisers, soaps and things. Oh there's a Molton Brown set for a tenner - 6 mini shower gels/bath gels and a little hand soap. Nice for a little pressie for someone or yourself :D Clarins have some sets too, not sure of price though but they are probably dear enough. If you're into nailpolish there's a decent OPI stand.

Oh I have to recommend this mascara - Dior Iconic Overcurl. Best mascara ever! I can't remember how much it is in the Loop, around the 20 mark I think but it's amazing. There's a few different Dior Iconic mascaras too if you're interested. Also love the Dior Lip Glow. It's a bit gimmicky, apparently it changes colour on your lips to suit your skin tone. I don't know if it does or not but it is a lovely lip balm, really creamy and softening and adds a lovely colour.

Yes, I'm a shopaholic too and even worse, I work in the airport so it's reeeeally bad for my pocket :pac:

Oohhh thank you valentina! I'll definitely look into those!!
    And yeah just a impulse buy type of thing, except this time I'm looking for recommendations soI don't just waste my money!

I definitely recommend the Bobbi gel liners, I have two and although I rarely wear them, when I do wear them, they last ages, I've even fallen asleep with my make up on and woken up with perfect eyeliner and everything else smudged/worn off.

I really recommend their mascaras too. I have a few, they are amazing. I really love their 'everything' mascara and the 'lash glamour' mascara.

http://www.theloop.ie/p/s/9243/everything-mascara/18882

http://www.theloop.ie/p/s/9292/lash-glamour-mascara/19122

This concealer is really lovely too, good coverage.

http://www.theloop.ie/p/s/9293/creamy-concealer-kit/19123

This eye cream is amazing

http://www.theloop.ie/p/9286/hydrating-eye-cream-15ml

Their eyeshadows are amazing too.

For a burgundy/brown eye shadow what about MAC Sketch? I don't have it myself so am only going by pics I see online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Yesterday I bought a smoky eye kajal liner from Bobbi Brown's new range. It looks gorgeous and dramatic if you apply it straight on, but for a more subtle daytime look you can use the smudger on the end. I usually wear black eyeliner but I bought this one in Black Coffee, a really deep brown colour, and I love it!

• Advertisement

Really liking maybelline gel liner! Picked it up on offer for,€5 too, raging I didn't get the Brown as well!

Also very impressed with the Nivea inn shower body moisturiser. Nicer less messy version of Johnson's baby oil imo.. I have a full review of it on my blog!

I've also just started using nivea cream (standard blue tub one) as my daily moisturiser and I love it! For such a thick cream it absorbs so quickly!

Advertisement