Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 38 route - changed?

Options
  • 11-02-2011 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭

Got a 38 this morning and when we reached trinity college the driver stops and turns the lights off upstairs and stops the engine. No announcement so i go downstairs and ask him why he is not going to Baggot street to which the reply i got "this bus is for the city centre only" i told him the 38 goes to baggot street and then he changes his reply to "im just following orders".

Bearing in mind that i heard him on the radio saying he has an empty bus i have to believe that he forgot about the 10 people upstairs and contacted control who told him to go no further. So instead of rectifying his mistake he makes it worse and i had to tell him "you might want to let the people upstairs your stopped here".

My question is has the 38 route changed or did this driver make a ballsup and refuse to acknowledge his mistake at the inconvenience of the PAYING customer and then hide behind the "its management" because it suited him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Seems to be a regular occurence on this route. My favourite is the driver of the 38A announcing that "I'm supposed to end in O'Connell St, but I'll bring ye as far as College Green if you want".

It also raises the question of what happens to the people in Baggot St waiting for a 38(A) to do the reverse journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Nah this is happening alot with Dublin 15 buses since network direct I've experienced it at least twice once for up to 40 minutes on a 39 and every time I pass trinity college bus stop there are buses parked there.

Someone asked here before why are these buses empty after trinity and I suppose the answer is because some of them are parked there for upto half an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

So the general concensus is that the dublin bus are making it up as they go along and when the drivers are pulled about it they respond with either "this route always stops here" or "management made me do it".

Its hard to understand why dublin bus operate the way they do, but it certainly isnt to keep the customers happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Got a 38 this morning and when we reached trinity college the driver stops and turns the lights off upstairs and stops the engine. No announcement so i go downstairs and ask him why he is not going to Baggot street to which the reply i got "this bus is for the city centre only" i told him the 38 goes to baggot street and then he changes his reply to "im just following orders".

Bearing in mind that i heard him on the radio saying he has an empty bus i have to believe that he forgot about the 10 people upstairs and contacted control who told him to go no further. So instead of rectifying his mistake he makes it worse and i had to tell him "you might want to let the people upstairs your stopped here".

My question is has the 38 route changed or did this driver make a ballsup and refuse to acknowledge his mistake at the inconvenience of the PAYING customer and then hide behind the "its management" because it suited him.

similar thing happened to me on the 37, driver stopped at trinity and switched off everything. i asked what was going on as i was the last on the bus and he said he had to stop here and wait for another driver to change shifts but he was 20mins early so i could wait there for the other driver :eek: i ended up just walking...

similar thing happened to me on the 37, driver stopped at trinity and switched off everything. i asked what was going on as i was the last on the bus and he said he had to stop here and wait for another driver to change shifts but he was 20mins early so i could wait there for the other driver :eek: i ended up just walking...

So you were left to sort yourself out due to drivers not running to the schedule, best thing is you know complaining is pointless as the people you would be complaining to couldnt give a fiddlers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Until Dublin Bus become accountable for the rubbish service they give, there's nothing you can do except shrug your shoulders and get on with it.

There's no point in complaining or writing a letter/email etc. They don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

So the general concensus is that the dublin bus are making it up as they go along and when the drivers are pulled about it they respond with either "this route always stops here" or "management made me do it".

Its hard to understand why dublin bus operate the way they do, but it certainly isnt to keep the customers happy.
    Is this similar to how one would be on the 66 going into town in the 80s, and suddenly the bus would turn onto Grattan Bridge and run down Essex Street, Temple Bar and Fleet Street when you really wanted to get off at O'Connell Street...?

How would DB react if a few hundred disgruntled customers showed up at Number Fifty-Nine asking for resolution of their complaints?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Last December I got a 39A from UCD to Blanchardstown Centre. That went fine, but on the way back, I was waiting ages for a 39A to come. When it did come, it had "City Centre 39A" written on it - I got it anyway as I wasn't waiting around for a UCD Belfield one. When we got to College Green, it switched off all the lights and everybody had to get off (some people were surprised).

I decided to wait at College Green for an 'actual' 39A instead of walking to Nassau street to get another bus to UCD. About 10 minutes later, the bus I had just got off chanced to 39A UCD Belfield, so I got back on the empty bus (it was a different driver this time).

The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

theres alot to reply to in this thread. in general jaysoose it's very hard for a driver to see upstairs. he might only be able to see a couple of seats through the periscope. alot of buses tend to have city centre/ collecge green etc. on their scrolls but most people tend not to look at where the bus is terminating. then you have the problem of drivers being told on route to terminate in the city.
    thomasj wrote: »
    Nah this is happening alot with Dublin 15 buses since network direct I've experienced it at least twice once for up to 40 minutes on a 39 and every time I pass trinity college bus stop there are buses parked there.

Someone asked here before why are these buses empty after trinity and I suppose the answer is because some of them are parked there for upto half an hour
    before the new timetables came out the drivers voted on whether to accept or reject them. they rejected them on the grounds that most buses didn't have enough time to get from A to B yet dublin bus still forced these timetables through and as a result of this you have alot of out of service buses. since the blanch routes became cross city this has worsened alot. the problem here is that when the driver on a bus breaks late , it has a huge knock on affect from buses running late to buses being parked up till the alloted driver arrives ,to buses working only as far as city centre.
    can happen, it all depends on traffic. some days are good some are absolute ****e. alot of you would know this from taking the same buses daily. a driver only has a certain amount of time to get from A to B. some can do a run in 40 mins while it might take others over an hour to do the same run.T.B.H. prince you did well.
    So you were left to sort yourself out due to drivers not running to the schedule, best thing is you know complaining is pointless as the people you would be complaining to couldnt give a fiddlers.
    no offence jaysoose, we just cant win. if we drive to slow people complain ,if we get into town to quick and passengers have to wait for a driver they complain.
    well wait till you see whats coming. only thing i will say is you wont be getting into town 20 minutes early. it will be bang on time.:D

theres alot to reply to in this thread. in general jaysoose it's very hard for a driver to see upstairs. he might only be able to see a couple of seats through the periscope. alot of buses tend to have city centre/ collecge green etc. on their scrolls but most people tend not to look at where the bus is terminating. then you have the problem of drivers being told on route to terminate in the city.

no offence jaysoose, we just cant win. if we drive to slow people complain ,if we get into town to quick and passengers have to wait for a driver they complain.
    well wait till you see whats coming. only thing i will say is you wont be getting into town 20 minutes early. it will be bang on time.:D

There was 10 people upstairs and i heard the driver onto control saying the bus was empty, the bus came as normal and had 38 baggot street on the front. Its obvious the driver made an assumption that upstairs was empty without bothering to check the continued with the line that 'its management' when he clearly made a mistake. Instead of rectifying this error he decided to effectively call me a liar and also say that the bus was for the city centre only. Im not asking for much only that the bus goes to the destination it states on the front at the end of the day its not the nitelink people are just trying to get to work.

Im sorry if i cant have sympathy for your predicament at the end of the day all customers want is the bus to be on time and go to its destination, the fact that drivers change/end of shifts etc are used as a reason for paying customers to be left sitting on buses waiting on another driver/bus is ridiculous.

Its the customer that suffers in all of this and the drivers seem to not give a damn as long as they get what they want in all of this, its pathetic.

• Advertisement

So it does appear that the 38/38a route has changed as the bus i got this morning had 'Oconnell streeet' on the front and when i asked the driver has the route changed i got a 'its a management decision'.

My question is when did they decide to change the route and why have no updates been made to the timetables as they clearly state that the 38 and 38/a run to baggot street.

I sent an email this morning but am not going to hold my breath waiting on a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

So it does appear that the 38/38a route has changed as the bus i got this morning had 'Oconnell streeet' on the front and when i asked the driver has the route changed i got a 'its a management decision'.

My question is when did they decide to change the route and why have no updates been made to the timetables as they clearly state that the 38 and 38/a run to baggot street.

I sent an email this morning but am not going to hold my breath waiting on a response.

It's unlikely the route has changed. The driver has probably been told by the route manager to cut his route short so he can make his return journey on time.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    It's unlikely the route has changed. The driver has probably been told by the route manager to cut his route short so he can make his return journey on time.

This is a route change then? no..

Clearly stated on front of bus that its for oconnell street, timetable says different..customer told nothing except a rehearsed answer from lovely chap in drivers seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

This is a route change then? no..

Clearly stated on front of bus that its for oconnell street, timetable says different..customer told nothing except a rehearsed answer from troglodyte in drivers seat.

So a bus driver is deemed a troglodyte for following orders from a superior? Charming.

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    So a bus driver is deemed a troglodyte for following orders from a superior? Charming.

He certainly wasnt charming..barely turned his head to give his distinterested answer.

Anyway troglodyte was a bit harsh dont want to get into it so edited the post.

Bus drivers should at least be civil towards their customers. However, it is understandable that when a driver is instructed to cut a journey short, for whatever reason, s/he is then faced with having to inform passengers that they may be inconvenienced. If I was in the driver's seat, I wouldn't relish the thought of it and it certainly wouldn't make me happy.

A passenger taking out their frustrations on a driver because of a decision from a superior achieves nothing, but is also understandable. Making a complaint through the proper channels (i.e. emailing or writing to the Dublin Bus Customer Service Department) is really the best way of getting a problem sorted.

Bus drivers should at least be civil towards their customers. However, it is understandable that when a driver is instructed to cut a journey short, for whatever reason, s/he is then faced with having to inform passengers that they may be inconvenienced. If I was in the driver's seat, I wouldn't relish the thought of it and it certainly wouldn't make me happy.

A passenger taking out their frustrations on a driver because of a decision from a superior achieves nothing, but is also understandable. Making a complaint through the proper channels (i.e. emailing or writing to the Dublin Bus Customer Service Department) is really the best way of getting a problem sorted.

I never took my frustration out on the driver as it is a complete waste of breath and time. He was not interested in a genuine question and gave a dismissve answer. I did send an email but like the few before it the reponse is incredibly slow coming back if at all.

If the drivers dont relish the thought of having to deal with the public then they should have thought about that before taking a customer facing position.

This route change has happened a number of times since the introduction of the disastrous network direct and is designed like all the changes dublinbus are introducing with the customer way down the list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The problems on the 38/38a arise due to the fact that the driver/bus rosters that are behind the public timetable do not allow sufficient time for the buses/drivers to complete some journeys, with the result that in order to get drivers and buses back to where they ought to be controllers may cut a journey short, or indeed other journeys may not operate.

I did read somewhere however (although I can't remember where) that a new timetable for these routes with more realistic running times is due to be implemented fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

I just saw another 38 in Phibsborough 20 minutes ago with O'Connell Street as the destination. Maybe they have changed the route with no attempt to inform the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

If the drivers dont relish the thought of having to deal with the public then they should have thought about that before taking a customer facing position
    One of the advantages of having a bus with a conductor is that the driver can focus on driving. It also increases average speed by reducing dwell times at stops. I always found the conductors friendly; I can sympathise with a bus driver that has to do double duty as conductor, as I find driving stressful enough as it is, and driving in Dublin is way more stressful today than in the past. (One might notice that CIE/DB keeps "losing money" in spite of retiring the conductor position, with all the big savings to the public supposedly associated with that act.)

• Advertisement

CIE wrote: »
    One of the advantages of having a bus with a conductor is that the driver can focus on driving. It also increases average speed by reducing dwell times at stops. I always found the conductors friendly; I can sympathise with a bus driver that has to do double duty as conductor, as I find driving stressful enough as it is, and driving in Dublin is way more stressful today than in the past. (One might notice that CIE/DB keeps "losing money" in spite of retiring the conductor position, with all the big savings to the public supposedly associated with that act.)

Im sorry but this is the biggest cop out i have seen for drivers having rotten attitudes and generally being dismissive to PAYING CUSTOMERS who are asking for simple information and some basic manners.

The reason CIE/Dublinbus is losing money is because the service is consistently poor and people will not tolerate it anymore.

Can you answer the question about the route being changed when it clearly states on all stops that the 38/a 38 runs to baggot street. Where the customers even considered when this change to the route has been made? was any information provided? like hell it was and the drivers are adding to customer frustrations with their attitude.

Route 38 From Damastown Towards Baggot St. (Grand Canal) taken from the website, not a mention the changes to the route.

bg07 wrote: »
    I just saw another 38 in Phibsborough 20 minutes ago with O'Connell Street as the destination. Maybe they have changed the route with no attempt to inform the customer.

Obviously the customer is not high on the priorities for dublinbus.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The problems on the 38/38a arise due to the fact that the driver/bus rosters that are behind the public timetable do not allow sufficient time for the buses/drivers to complete some journeys, with the result that in order to get drivers and buses back to where they ought to be controllers may cut a journey short, or indeed other journeys may not operate.

I did read somewhere however (although I can't remember where) that a new timetable for these routes with more realistic running times is due to be implemented fairly soon.

Im confused how can it make sense to cut short one of the busier routes into the city during peak hours to facilitate less customers who are obviously leaving the city? Dublinbus really are pathetic at providing the service, at the end of the day they implemented this network direct which has caused the issue and are now compounding the problem by changing routes its a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Im confused how can it make sense to cut short one of the busier routes into the city during peak hours to facilitate less customers who are obviously leaving the city? Dublinbus really are pathetic at providing the service, at the end of the day they implemented this network direct which has caused the issue and are now compounding the problem by changing routes its a joke.

The routes have not changed. The problem is that the schedule at certain times is just simply impossible to achieve because the roster does not give the bus enough time to get from one terminus to the other. This causes knock-on effects on later services which mean that the schedule goes out the window.

To try to resolve this controllers may cut certain services short to try to get drivers and buses back on schedule. It is an operational decision at a particular point in time. This is far from desireable but it can be the only option they have. However, passengers should always be transferred to another bus and not left in the lurch.

To be fair to the drivers they have had this problem since October, and are probably getting rather frustrated as they are unable to actually do their job normally without having to have to call control to try and get back on schedule. However that is no excuse for rudeness.

What I read elsewhere was that a new schedule with realistic running times is being prepared and should be introduced in the near future. This one would hope will address the problem.

Obviously the customer is not high on the priorities for dublinbus.

Out of two possibles, which would you rather have:
    "O'Connell Street", or "Out Of Service"?

Out of two possibles, which would you rather have:
    "O'Connell Street", or "Out Of Service"?

How about a third option "baggot street"? or is it to much to ask that buses actually go to the destination stated on the timetable.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The routes have not changed. The problem is that the schedule at certain times is just simply impossible to achieve because the roster does not give the bus enough time to get from one terminus to the other. This causes knock-on effects on later services which mean that the schedule goes out the window.

To try to resolve this controllers may cut certain services short to try to get drivers and buses back on schedule. It is an operational decision at a particular point in time. This is far from desireable but it can be the only option they have. However, passengers should always be transferred to another bus and not left in the lurch.

To be fair to the drivers they have had this problem since October, and are probably getting rather frustrated as they are unable to actually do their job normally without having to have to call control to try and get back on schedule. However that is no excuse for rudeness.

What I read elsewhere was that a new schedule with realistic running times is being prepared and should be introduced in the near future. This one would hope will address the problem.

Im sorry but it is a route change is the bus is showing oconnell street before it even leaves blanchardstown, at the end of the day the controllers are obviously just moving the problem to cover themselves while the customer frustrations are not even considered.

Did the customers ask for the 'network direct' cutbacks? they were brought in without a thought to the people using the service and now they see that its made a balls of routes across the city they cut services short and change routes to keep up with an unrealistic timetable.

The only option they should have should be the bus runs to the route designated at least that way people can get to were they want even if it is behind schedule but as i have said over and over the customer does not count for dublinbus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

Can you answer the question about the route being changed when it clearly states on all stops that the 38/a 38 runs to baggot street. Where the customers even considered when this change to the route has been made? was any information provided?
    Ring Phibsboro Garage and ask to speak to one of the managers
    How about a third option "baggot street"? or is it to much to ask that buses actually go to the destination stated on the timetable.
    Im sorry but it is a route change is the bus is showing oconnell street before it even leaves blanchardstown, at the end of the day the controllers are obviously just moving the problem to cover themselves while the customer frustrations are not even considered.

Did the customers ask for the 'network direct' cutbacks? they were brought in without a thought to the people using the service and now they see that its made a balls of routes across the city they cut services short and change routes to keep up with an unrealistic timetable.

The only option they should have should be the bus runs to the route designated at least that way people can get to were they want even if it is behind schedule but as i have said over and over the customer does not count for dublinbus.
    Ring Phibsboro Garage and ask to speak to one of the managers so you can take your frustations out on them.
    jaysoose i sent you a pm a while back it's obvious you didn't read it judging by your replies. so here it is again for all to see this time.
    "hi jaysoose
    i sympathise with you fully. unfortunately in most cases it's nothing to do with the drivers. the drivers in the blanch area voted on and rejected the timetables that came in before christmas. thats the 37's/8 and 9's on the grounds that they knew they would'nt work.
    yes the driver could've handled it differently. i have on some occasions been in that drivers position and the way i dealt with what happened to you is appolgise for the inconvience and try to get you on the next bus that comes around. i have missed passengers my self. but a couple of times i have announced last stop at college green over the P.A system,pull away and have passengers come tearing down the stairs. only thing was these guys were listening to head phones and didn't hear my announcement.
    the drivers are caught in the middle between managment and the passengers. and in the latter are always in the firing line. nowadays it's nearly impossible for a driver to take a bus out of service on his own bat, reason being is that we have something similar to a sat nav that is linked up to our supervisiors so they can see exactly where we are all the time. "
    This thread has run it's course and needs to be locked. all thats happening is it's going around in circles.
    jyasoose your not going to get the answers your looking for on here, it's that simple. so on that note i say again.

Ring Phibsboro Garage and ask to speak to one of the managers so you can take your frustations out on them.
    jaysoose i sent you a pm a while back it's obvious you didn't read it judging by your replies. so here it is again for all to see this time.
    "hi jaysoose
    i sympathise with you fully. unfortunately in most cases it's nothing to do with the drivers. the drivers in the blanch area voted on and rejected the timetables that came in before christmas. thats the 37's/8 and 9's on the grounds that they knew they would'nt work.
    yes the driver could've handled it differently. i have on some occasions been in that drivers position and the way i dealt with what happened to you is appolgise for the inconvience and try to get you on the next bus that comes around. i have missed passengers my self. but a couple of times i have announced last stop at college green over the P.A system,pull away and have passengers come tearing down the stairs. only thing was these guys were listening to head phones and didn't hear my announcement.
    the drivers are caught in the middle between managment and the passengers. and in the latter are always in the firing line. nowadays it's nearly impossible for a driver to take a bus out of service on his own bat, reason being is that we have something similar to a sat nav that is linked up to our supervisiors so they can see exactly where we are all the time. "
    This thread has run it's course and needs to be locked. all thats happening is it's going around in circles.
    jyasoose your not going to get the answers your looking for on here, it's that simple. so on that note i say again.

So what if you sent me a PM it said nothing that cant eb said i the thread and that is why i didnt bother replying to you so im not even sure why its relevant, maybe your upset i ignored it.

im Happy to keep things out in the open on the thread and am simply looking for confirmation that the route has been changed. What im not looking for is excuses just acceptance that the route has been changed.

I have made sent in numerous complaints and am still waiting on responses.

Who are you to say the thread should be locked if you dont like the fact that im asking legitimate questions and not accepting the 'management made me do it' or the classic 'the route has not changed' answers then dont post in the thread. But considering you are a bus driver im not surprised you want the thread locked.

Never drink and post.

• Advertisement

Jaysoose: You have repeatedly been offered help, explanations and advice. You choose to accept none. Tough.

Meanmachine: Conserve your energy. As a bus driver, you should know that there are some people you just can't help and will never be satisfied, no matter how many times explanations are offered.

Advertisement