Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes...again!

Options
  • 28-12-2010 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

When I started my first training log here in 2009 I set myself the goal of running the Dublin Marathon. Was thrilled with myself for actually doing it (with a lot of help and support from everyone on here!). So I decided that 2010 would be an even better year. I had planned to work on my speed and fitness, set a quicker time in Dublin and fit in as many races as possible. The year started off well. I was running regularly and even had a fantastic time doing the Cork Marathon relay with my husband. However I had been carrying a chronic achilles injury for a year by then and realised I had to stop trying to run through it and deal with it properly instead.

I had some great physio and was making a good recovery when I somehow lost it...my motivation really and over the last 2 months I've reverted fully to my old couch potatoe ways. Excuse after excuse. I miss running though, miss the fun of being part of the ART forum and the excitement of race day. So thats why Im starting this new log. I am now ready to get back on track.

So here are my aims for 2011:
    1. Stay injury-free all year (this would be a miracle when you take my past 3 years of constant injuries into consideration)
    2. No more wossie walking breaks in my runs.
    3. I want to do as many races as possible- maybe 1 a month if possible.
    4. Get out on the bike more.
    5. Complete the Connemara Adventure Challenge.
    6. Maybe if Im still in one piece- the Dublin marathon.

Must go for my first run in weeks now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Enjoy getting back out there Bally8 :) and best wishes for 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck missus, getting the head right (and getting out the door!) is half the battle. Hope your year goes well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Good luck with this year's goals...Hopefully all will go well for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks everyone- glad to be back with ye.

Right...Run number 1 of new log= Yikes!!:eek: I thought I might try an easy 4 miles but wow I had no idea how much I've let my fitness slip. All the Christmas food and the laziness of the past few months have left a major mark on me. I thought I was going to puke or pass out. I only managed 2 slow miles (21:51) but hey its a start. Did 10 minute interval training on the stationary bike after - my breakfast came back from my stomach and is now lodged in my throat- gross:p

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Good to have you back and best of luck with the new log. Injuries are a total pain so here's to an injury-free 2011 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Failte ar ais!

31st Dec
    Managed to squeeze 2.5 miles in before heading off to Cork to visit family. Found it tough again- have a strange wheeze- might be congestion or something left over from chest infection or else Im just majorly unfit:).

So that was the last run of 2010. Glad to see the back of the year- from a running perspective, only managed 410 miles (not sure of exact figure). Thats less than half 2009's figure. Im hoping 2011 is the year where I finally reach 1000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

best of luck with your log..im in a similar situation to yourself..only gettin back into it after 9 weeks eeekk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck Bally8
    I'm just getting back into it again myself... I keep saying I'll get back on the bike again too but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe I'll try keeping up with you!

Bally8 wrote: »
    . my breakfast came back from my stomach and is now lodged in my throat- gross:p

Was that one of those gels again that caused that? ;)

• Advertisement

Ha ha luckily not!! Although I wish I was able to run distances long enough to have to take gels again :)

Sunday 2nd January
    First road run in over a month. A very slow 3.55 miles. Enjoyed it though- so glad to be back at this. Dungarven 10 miler is in 4 weeks time. Not sure my fitness will be back in time but I'll do my best to get there. No niggles in ITB or achilles to report, woohoo.

Week 1 Summary: 3 runs, 8.05 miles total, O minutes walked!!

Total miles this year: 3.55.

Tuesday 4th Jan
    4 miles on the treadmill (43:42). Nice and slow again, not worried about time just getting some miles in my legs again. Did 10 minutes on the stationary bike then 10 on the rower. Good workout, glad to be back at it.

Wednesday 5th January
    Had planned on doing 3 or 4 miles today but when I got back to my house I saw a jeep parked just down the road that belongs to an evil developer who is trying to build an estate around our house. So I continued running past him to see what exactly he was doing. Then realised I would have to keep going a bit longer or it would look very weird so I ended up doing 5.13 miles:)

Happy with that, longest road run in ages. No niggles or pain yet. 17.18 miles ran with no walking since I started back running last week:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Good work over the last few weeks and best of luck with the goals for 2011. Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great to see you back Bally8 - best of luck with the log and training for the goals in 2011

Friday 7th January
    Treadmill today, 4.17 miles in 45 minutes. Feeling great, no pain or niggles. I had planned 3 miles tomorrow and 6 on Sunday but that would be 5 runs this week and an increase in milage from 8 in Week 1 to over 22 in Week 2. I think I need to be a little cautious right now. If there is one mistake I have made over and over its increasing my milage too fast after coming back from injury. And its always led to the same result- more injuries!

So Im going to take a rest tomorrow and try 6-7 miles on Sunday. Its hard though as I have the time right now to fit a few runs in. From next week on Im back working my full hours so will only be able to fit 3 runs in max.

Good to hear...Keep going now!

Thanks digger. Glad to see you have your own log going too.

In other news Im 56th on 1000 mile challenge after Week 1. Would love to stay in the top 50ish for as long as possible this year.

Sunday 9th January
    6.4 miles in 70 minutes on treadmill. I had planned doing it on the road but the weather and other things got in the way, its not possible to run in the dark around these parts, the roads are too dangerous. Found it tough enough, maybe it was just the monotony of it. Still Im just very glad to be back running.

Week 2 Summary: 4 runs, 19.7 miles.

Year to date totals: 5 runs, 23:25 miles.

• Advertisement

Sunday 23rd Jan
    8.08 slow miles on the treadmill- 1hr 30 mins. Havent ran in 2 weeks:eek: Not going to beat myself up over it, I want my running to be enjoyable not something that brings me guilt. I do need to run more but work and life has been getting in the way and will continue to do so until the end of Feb.

Week 4 Summary: 1 run, 8.08 miles.

Year to date: 6 runs, 31.33 miles

Friday 28th Jan
    4.05 mile run. Took me 46 minutes and boy was it a bad one. Every part of my body seemed to hurt (except the achilles funnily enough). I was off work yesterday with a gross stomach bug but felt much better this morning so I decided to get a run in. Pain wasnt from stomach bug though, my hips, shins and itb ached, dont know whats the story with that. Maybe is because my running is so inconsistent.

Dungarven 10 miler is Sunday. Im a bit worried about how I'll hold up for it but I'm doing it anyway. Aim is a very slow 2hrs- brutal I know but my road running has turned to a crawl since I came back this year and cut out the walking breaks. I dont mind though, its all about getting back into the swing of running, I only want to finish this race in one piece (and hopefully not last!)

Good luck for Dungarvin tomorrow :)

I hear you on everything hurting during a run - just not enjoying the runs at the moment. I can't wait to be running without niggles again. Hope your feeling good tomorrow.

Thanks shazkea I made it to the finish line in one piece thank god!

So Dungarven 10 mile (Finished in 1041st place out of 1050! Eek! in 1hr 50 mins- yikes!)
    Not long back from my trip to Dungarven, had a great day. Started with my sister but I left her off after less than half a mile as I couldnt keep pace with her. I was suprised at the quick pace of eveyone. It was kind of heartbreaking to be passed by so many people in the first mile but I kept reminding myself that Im only back from injury and I really hadnt put the training in.

Lots of great touches in the race, loved how they called out times at the mile markers (I had my garmin on but still thought it was a lovely touch). The support from the stewards was brilliant, so encouraging event though I was the 1041st person to pass them! I was such a friendly atmosphere. I will definitely be back next year.

I was never comfortable the whole way round, I found it tough going but pushed on and am thrilled to say that I ran the whole thing. This is the longest I have ever ran without taking walking breaks even through all my marathon training. I think Im totaly done with them now.

Delighted to have ran it, roll on next race...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done on getting back after the injury, and fair play on cutting out the walking breaks. Seems we were all out racing today!

Did 10k on the treadmill today. Thats 51.59 miles so far this year. Not half as much as I had planned but I've been lazy and inconsistent with my training. I've decided to stop posting here. Im finding a lot of the threads very negative about slower runners like myself. Im proud of how I went from being a couch potatoe to become someone who exercises more than anyone else I know. But all the negativity around here about 'slower' joggers and 'proper runners' is starting to get on my wick. Best of luck to everyone with their goals and thanks a million for all the support. Ill check in on all yer logs to keep up with the great progress.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bally8 wrote: »
    I've decided to stop posting here. Im finding a lot of the threads very negative about slower runners like myself. Im proud of how I went from being a couch potatoe to become someone who exercises more than anyone else I know. But all the negativity around here about 'slower' joggers and 'proper runners' is starting to get on my wick. Best of luck to everyone with their goals and thanks a million for all the support. Ill check in on all yer logs to keep up with the great progress.

Sorry to hear that. :(

Ok Im back:D

I couldnt stay away!!

The start of February was a very strange time for me. Lots of drama and stress in my life and then some of the threads on the main forum were stressing me out too. Weird I know but I just wanted all the negative things in my life gone.

But then I realised that the A/R/T forum has been such a positive place for me over the past 2 years. I would never have ran the Dublin marathon if it wasnt for the support I had from people on here. I dont think I would be running today was it not for Boards.

So Im back and hope Im forgiven for dumping ye so easily when the going got tough :D

I've been reading everyone's logs and am so excited for ye all heading to Barcalona this weekend. Cant wait to hear all about it. Maybe I will join ye next year.

So an update on what I've been doing since I last logged on is probably a good way to start back...

I've been running regularly, fitting in 3-4 runs per week. Achilles not paining me at all- woohoo! I've been trying to work on my speed but it really has gone backwards since I cut out all walking breaks. I know it will come with time so Im not worrying about it too much. I've also started playing the Biggest Loser game :mad: on the Wii:mad::mad:. Thing is, it is really keeping me motivated. I do the workouts 4 times a week and then run after each one. I've lost 4.5lbs in the 3 weeks I've been doing it. I've also started aerobics on Tuesday nights. I love it, I've never done one before so its something new to add to my exercise regime.

I ran the Castleconnell 10k last Sunday. It took me 64 minutes. Not a fab time but a good one for me. The goal of a sub60 min 10k is still what Im after and I really feel that its something I will achieve this year.

So thats us up to date. Aerobics tonight- cant wait!

• Advertisement

Good to see you back on boards :D. Well done on the 10km and keep up the good work

Advertisement