Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options
  • 23-08-2010 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

This chap was on the M8 Cashel Bypass today. He even turned around and obliged when I snapped a photo of him. I phoned him into the Guards naturally.

Edited photo below...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've given up phoning in cyclists on the Glanmire BP, the Guards in Glanmire seem to think its not a motorway :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Furet wrote: »
    This chap was on the M8 Cashel Bypass today. He even turned around and obliged when I snapped a photo of him. I phoned him into the Guards naturally.

These guys shouldn't be allowed on any road imo. Very dangerous and there must be an element of cruelty involved. I'm not sure however if it's a good idea to put his photo up on the internet if you didn't receive permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

liammur wrote: »
    These guys shouldn't be allowed on any road imo. Very dangerous and there must be an element of cruelty involved. I'm not sure however if it's a good idea to put his photo up on the internet if you didn't receive permission.

Good point. How do you blur out a face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Put a black line along his face just to make him unrecognisable,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Photoshop, blue tool. Or use MS Paint and put another colour over it.

• Advertisement

Done. :)

These guys shouldn't be allowed on any road imo. Very dangerous and there must be an element of cruelty involved.

He was a danger to himself, his child, and everyone one else on the road. I encountered him on the off-ramp, so I slowed right down (almost at the end point and nothing behind me) and snapped the image. Parked up a few minutes later and on the phone to the Guards, he pulled up alongside me and gave me the finger.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're allowed phone the Guards while driving irrespective of handsfree kit or not, Furet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Last Thursday, M18 around Ennis, heading to Galway around 11pm. It was chucking it down and gusting heavily. Cyclist on the hard shoulder with only one of those small flashing red lights on his backpack as his sole source of illumination.

Before on the M6, I saw a double decker bus with what looked like a hen party aboard pulled up at about 10:30 pm in the hard shoulder. Between the edge of the hard shoulder and the grass verge were 3 women in a line, trou dropped, having a slash.

I've also seen plenty of Fastrac's pulling enormous trailers but apparently this is OK because they can do 75 km/h...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Just the ones I can think of, all on the M9:

an MPV parked up under a bridge, with all its occupants enjoying a sheltered picnic while watching the rain

about 10 people running down the embankment towards the road...back to their bus after a piss break

from a standing start (in a Micra) on the hard shoulder, someone first gearing onto the slow lane instead of building up their speed first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Robbo wrote: »
    I've also seen plenty of Fastrac's pulling enormous trailers but apparently this is OK because they can do 75 km/h...

The problem is not the tractors, so much as the huge loads of straw, hay and excavators these tractors are used to pull. Surely like caravan's, there is a maximum speed that you are allowed to tow such trailers, and if so, is this level below the minimum speed allowed on motorways?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭BigMoose

wellbutty wrote:
    from a standing start (in a Micra) on the hard shoulder, someone first gearing onto the slow lane instead of building up their speed first

I've seen this a few times on the M11 too. Amazing how people just indicate right and pull out from stationary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Not sure about other parts of the country but in Waterford, we recently got a safety leaflet in the door, making motorists aware of cyclists, cyclists rights, etc. This was endorsed by groups like the RSA.

With the motorway building boom over in a few months, some form of education must take place on how to use them. People whove never driven on a motorway before are dicing with people doing 120kmh while they figure out how it works...S C A R Y

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

met an elderly lady walking a child alongside the centre embankment of the nenagh to birdhill motorway stretch. Could not believe my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Edited photo below...

I believe that gentleman belongs to a secret society who are far above and beyond the law, and now he knows what you look like. Beware the sound of a clip-clop in the dead of night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Another common thing that really annoys me on motorways is when people potter down the slip road at <50km/h then either panic at the bottom when they cant merge with people doing 120 or indicate and join the main carriageway at 50 and then speed up to 120. Perhaps this isn't bizarre or illegal, but not sure we need an "annoying people/things on motorways" thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

BigMoose wrote: »
    Another common thing that really annoys me on motorways is when people potter down the slip road at <50km/h then either panic at the bottom when they cant merge with people doing 120 or indicate and join the main carriageway at 50 and then speed up to 120. Perhaps this isn't bizarre or illegal, but not sure we need an "annoying people/things on motorways" thread :)

Or they can do what a girl did in front of me joining a 120km/h stretch from Midleton to Cork off the roundabout from Cobh....stop dead. Yup, she stopped at the bottom of the slip (which had a long feeder lane for merging), forcing two of us to overtake her while joining the relatively quiet road, and she eventually joined in when it suited her to catch up with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

BigMoose wrote: »

I come across this a lot, the solution is to slow to a crawl so you can put space between you and them and then once they've merged floor it onto the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

There is a guy who regularly cycles the M2, often saw him there when I used to travel to Meath. He has all the gear too, so he is no amateur, well probably :rolleyes:

My early memory of the M1 (airport motorway) opening, is see two people with picnic chairs on the side of the motorway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

traffic lights on Motorways

Everything else is just ignorance.
    Lights are your taxes paying for incompetence.

It is called lazy engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Tailgating.
    No one around as far as the eye can see(M9,Waterford section),doing about 100 kph in the left lane,then someone moving faster comes up behind you and just sits there,they wont overtake,happens regularly:confused:
    Now I dont mind if they keep their distance but not on my tail:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I seen a guy on a mountain bike on the hard shoulder of the M50 on Monday morning taking cover under one of the overpasses to keep in out of the rain as it was lashing at the time. Do the Gardai monitor the motorways using cameras and keep an eye out for that kind of thing?

The worst thing I've seen so far was seen from the seat of a bus on the M50. I was looking out the window and we were driving along side a car. The guy had his laptop on his lap typing something and was driving at the same time. Didn't have time to react and the get a pic and the reg plate sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

traffic lights on Motorways

Everything else is just ignorance.
    Lights are your taxes paying for incompetence.
    Where are there traffic lights on a Motorway? I thought one of the requirements for motorway classification was no traffic lights?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Where are there traffic lights on a Motorway? I thought one of the requirements for motorway classification was no traffic lights?

The original M50 M1 interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I have regularly seen cyclists and pedestrians on the M1 but have never seen a Guard at the same time......it's like they turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Seeking permission to put up on internet........are you serious, I would imagine that this individual wouldn't have a clue what the internet is let alone be bothered by having a picture posted . Same individual probably drives around without tax/insurance/no seat belt or child seats, parks where he likes etc..........and is never prosecuted....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Paint.net is free and easy to blur out or edit images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Seeking permission to put up on internet........are you serious, I would imagine that this individual wouldn't have a clue what the internet is let alone be bothered by having a picture posted . Same individual probably drives around without tax/insurance/no seat belt or child seats, parks where he likes etc..........and is never prosecuted....

I agree with you somewhat, but what if your wrong? I wouldnt fancy being sued by said individual and having to share a courtroom with the ramifications from such lowlifes.

Advertisement