Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options
  • 04-08-2010 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Just saw this being discussed in the Ladie's Lounge.. Any chaps here have any experience on this?

My mate just met a great girl on match.com. Have heard mixed reviews about it though. Would be more inclined to join a paid site rather than a free (potential wasters and messers) site like plenty of fish?

Any views, insights, advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

There's one or two Irish ones like that are mostly for speed dating, like getout.ie mysterdates.ie (same crowd, latter is newer) or fundate.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

I'd recommend it. A great way of getting to meet new people, that doesn't involve being hammered in a pub or nightclub. You can get to know somebody properly before you even meet them.
    I was a member of one before I met my current GF, and met some very nice people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Have used them a few times during barren spells and have met some really nice people through them,a couple of which Im still mates with so I would say go for it.A couple of things I would say though.

- Try and meet up with the person relatively quickly,chatting online is all well and good but you wont know if there is any spark til a face to face meeting.

- Beware of cropped photos,ie headshots only.

- Dont take it too seriously or personally if people dont respond to your messages.

- Enjoy it for what it is,a bit of harmless fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I dont like online dateing i did think it was good. But **** that, Id rather meet some one on a night out and get drunk with her and see what she like in person I think on online dateing to a degree people are looking for there perfect match and every bodys far to picy. My self included....

I think online dateing is a defeatous way of dating it does work for some... but theres single women every-where...

Ned totally get the cropped photo thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

You can get to know somebody properly before you even meet them.

I don't agree with that. I think people are more likely to invent a fantasy person based on what they are told online. Think speed dating a much better idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

If you're curious why not give it a go. At worst you'll have some funny stories for us :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

They seem to be talked about in the open a lot more recently. I think a few years ago they were probably thought of as a bit of a weird thing. If I was single I wouldn't have a problem using any at all. I'd probably pay for it rather than fo to a free site though. I could only see a free site being a disaster...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 King Henry

Thanks for the replies. Any sites particularly recommended? A guy at work said that some sites have very few people on them but that the free sites can have a lot of messers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭DA365

You need to stand out to be honest.

Only bother going on them if you can stay away from the "Hi how are you" nonsense and actually stand out from the crowd because girls get an absolute TON of messages on these sites on a daily basis.

Met some great people on POF but met some absolute nutters too.

All in all, well worth it for the experience.

DA365 wrote: »
    You need to stand out to be honest.

Only bother going on them if you can stay away from the "Hi how are you" nonsense and actually stand out from the crowd because girls get an absolute TON of messages on these sites on a daily basis.

Met some great people on POF but met some absolute nutters too.

All in all, well worth it for the experience.

Agree with that. When you see somebody's profile that you like, take the time to read it, and then send them a decent message. A simple "hi, how are you?" will never work. It's good to bring up something they mentioned in their profile that you have in common with them and start from there.
    POF.com is probably the best of the free sites. I'm not sure about the subscription sites though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Agree with that. When you see somebody's profile that you like, take the time to read it, and then send them a decent message. A simple "hi, how are you?" will never work. It's good to bring up something they mentioned in their profile that you have in common with them and start from there.
    POF.com is probably the best of the free sites. I'm not sure about the subscription sites though.

POF seems to have an awful lot of women of 'ah jaysus howiya, just bumming around doing nothing at the minute, love getting trashed at the weekend ' type so I was never a big fan of it.

POF seems to have an awful lot of women of 'ah jaysus howiya, just bumming around doing nothing at the minute, love getting trashed at the weekend ' type so I was never a big fan of it.

Lol, yup. There are some diamonds to be found also though ;)

Lol, yup. There are some diamonds to be found also though ;)

Absolutely. As with any pub or club in any town or city, you have to sort the wheat from the chav, whoops, i mean chaff;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 forest gunner

Ive been on and off some sites over the last couple years. ie plentyoffish and anotherfriend.
    Anotherfriend was the most succesfull one for me - if you count 2 dates in 9 months succesfull lol.
    POF - cant even get them to look at me never mind a date.
    I do read profiles and email them about specific things they mention like hobbies etc but still a response is rare. I have a photo up too - maybe thats turning them off :confused:
    I also find Anotherfriend to have an average age of women in late 30s which makes it harder (late 20s myself).
    Im gonna cancel the subscription when it runs out now this month.
    Im not great at chatting up in pubs when Im out either but Im fed up with the online melarky.
    So, if youre new to online dating, keep your expectations LOW.

Ive been on and off some sites over the last couple years. ie plentyoffish and anotherfriend.
    Anotherfriend was the most succesfull one for me - if you count 2 dates in 9 months succesfull lol.
    POF - cant even get them to look at me never mind a date.
    I do read profiles and email them about specific things they mention like hobbies etc but still a response is rare. I have a photo up too - maybe thats turning them off :confused:
    I also find Anotherfriend to have an average age of women in late 30s which makes it harder (late 20s myself).
    Im gonna cancel the subscription when it runs out now this month.
    Im not great at chatting up in pubs when Im out either but Im fed up with the online melarky.
    So, if youre new to online dating, keep your expectations LOW.

I'll be honest. I NEVER put a picture up on these sites and I'll tell you why.

I like people to like me for who I am, NOT what I look like - and I'm not bad looking it's just the way I wanted it to be.

I let my profile do the talking and I can virtually guarentee that I had more messages than really good looking guys with run of the mill profile wording.

Take your picture down and just write a description that stands out and you get real quality girls, the ones that arent shallow enough to think that looks are an overwhelming percentage of attraction, sending you messages - it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

King Henry wrote: »
    Just saw this being discussed in the Ladie's Lounge.. Any chaps here have any experience on this?

My mate just met a great girl on match.com. Have heard mixed reviews about it though. Would be more inclined to join a paid site rather than a free (potential wasters and messers) site like plenty of fish?

Any views, insights, advice?

Match.com is a paid site not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I'll be honest. I NEVER put a picture up on these sites and I'll tell you why.

I like people to like me for who I am, NOT what I look like - and I'm not bad looking it's just the way I wanted it to be.

I let my profile do the talking and I can virtually guarentee that I had more messages than really good looking guys with run of the mill profile wording.

Take your picture down and just write a description that stands out and you get real quality girls, the ones that arent shallow enough to think that looks are an overwhelming percentage of attraction, sending you messages - it works.

OK, so would you or any of the other guys send a message to a woman with a good profile but no photo?

Emme wrote: »
    OK, so would you or any of the other guys send a message to a woman with a good profile but no photo?

Absolutely.

I look at these types of interactions as improving my personal life and social circle, nothing more.

I don't have a "let's fall in love with girl a, Im significantly attracted to girl b, boy what i'd love to do to girl c" attitude.

I look at it from this point of view: If I meet someone whether it be online or out at a bar, this is a possible friend to me.

A nice, down to earth, reliable, intelligent person is someone who can add a significant amount of value to MY life.

I take romance completely out the equation and just judge people at face value.(This mindset is also a great way to avoid getting nervous when approaching girls on a night out)

If the interaction then escalates to the extent where there might be a spark there then awesome - we will see what happens.

If not, then at least I'm surrounding myself with awesome new friends.

It's a total win-win situation for me.

There's so many different things I judge people on outwith looks, a check list if you will.

For me, it goes a little something like this(and in this order).

- Selfless
    - Intelligent
    - Focused
    - Funny
    - Fulfilled
    - Ambitious
    - Physically Attractive

Now I'm not saying that I wont be interested in someone that only has 3 of these qualities - they all link in well anyway - I'm just saying that that's my ideal woman.

If you ask someone randomly what their ideal woman looks like they might say "Long legs, blonde hair, blue eyes, big . . ." you get the idea.

Well that checklist is what my ideal woman looks like and I genuinely mean it when I say in that order. I would urge all guys to find out what their ideal woman looks like and have their own little trigger list.

Specifically relating to the online dating subject: If someone has an outstandingly well written profile and projects qualities that you find attractive then why should no picture dictate whether you should message her or not?

She could be an absolute one in a million that has a serious dislike for people who judge others only on looks - if you don't get in touch . . you'll never know.

That's my 2 cents anyways. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Phew ... this all sounds very good but what is the right and wrong thing to say ? I have done both responding with the 'Hi how are you ?' and the other where you respond to something on their profile - you just dont know what the other person is thinking . I think they just look at the picture and say 'yeah like him' or know 'don't like him' so it dosn't matter what you say .Or maybe is it me and what i'm saying to them !!! .I have been on a good few dates and the only thing i can agree with is their is a alot of nutters on it So tell me what so is good way of standing out from the crowd ?

Emme wrote: »

Of course.On POF for example,there are so many profiles consisting of
    errrr,i dont know what to say here,i hate talking about myself,have to fill these lines

etc,no effort whatsoever,whats the point in putting up something like that along with pictures of the person trying to look sexy.Right off that bat that tells me enough about the person,ie that they are hoping their looks will carry them through.

I have done and would message a person with a well put together profile and no pic over a perceived hotty any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Wow I tried registering on plentyoffish.com what a waste of time.
    It accepts nothing ,I give up.
    I've tried all combinations of letters what a piece of ****.
    I guess you don't get anything for free in this life.
    I used to be a member of it before a few months ago and it was ****ing useless.
    I never met anyone and no-one visited my profile.
    Maybe I need to emmigrate I don't think I'll ever find a girl interested in me here anyway.
    I don't care anyway that's life Ireland's ****, probably time to get out of here.
    Women were always heartless and soulless over here ,any women I met were anyway.I really can't say I ever met a nice girl here.
    There really is nothing here for me and I should leave and I probably will.
    Only reason I stay here is because of my family and friends.
    I'm never going to meet a girl over here though. If I stay here I'm going to be single for the rest of my life.

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Wow I tried registering on plentyoffish.com what a waste of time.
    It accepts nothing ,I give up.
    I've tried all combinations of letters what a piece of ****.
    I guess you don't get anything for free in this life.
    I used to be a member of it before a few months ago and it was ****ing useless.
    I never met anyone and no-one visited my profile.
    Maybe I need to emmigrate I don't think I'll ever find a girl interested in me here anyway.
    I don't care anyway that's life Ireland's ****, probably time to get out of here.
    Women were always heartless and soulless over here ,any women I met were anyway.I really can't say I ever met a nice girl here.
    There really is nothing here for me and I should leave and I probably will.
    Only reason I stay here is because of my family and friends.
    I'm never going to meet a girl over here though. If I stay here I'm going to be single for the rest of my life.

Mate, you've got it all wrong.

Life is not about standing around waiting for something magical to come your way. You have to go out there and get it.

The vast majority of your post is at best, silly and at worst - ridiculous.

Why would any woman want to indulge in dialect with you when you display that attitude and carry those feelings?

You really need to take a step back here and evaluate what you want and address the steps you need to take as a person in order to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I really don't see how me telling the truth is being ridiculous.
    There is nothing .
    I am a realist.
    I'm just being honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Be careful what photos you use if hiding your identity, my ex gave it a try after we split, she put up pics of herself posing with my car, a lad on vagdrivers (of all sites :rolleyes:) told me

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

POF has some cracking looking women on the site but it's the only site where I failed to get a date. AnotherFriend is ok but you have to prepare to face an analogy of trying to get blood out of a stone, i.e. a date. It can be frustrating. I met my current gf through Facebook.

Some guy said beware of photo cropping a few posts back. Absolutely true - I've met a coupe of very overweight girls in the past who didn't look that big in the headshots.

Cropping2.jpg

Now this isnt a pop against larger women,lord knows I aint trim myself however what is the point in putting up a photo that shows only your head.Its deceptive.I went on a date on the back of POF a couple of years ago and like that,all I had seen was a head shot.Met the girl and she was very overweight,Im talking morbidly obese.It was awkward to say the least and I felt like crap afterwards because it was blatantly obvious that I wasnt interested but I didnt want to do a runner after 5 minutes so sat for an hour talking absolute rubbish.Online dating is a freakin minefield.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've really gone off online dating because of how difficult it is to actually gauge what a person is like from it. I mailed one guy for ages, and eventually I got bored of emailing and suggested we meet. Slight alarm bells were ringing because I had to suggest it in the first place. His picture was vague, but I thought I could make out what he looked like. We met, and although he was the same age as me, in real life he looked like a 12 year old boy. He was shorter and way skinnier than me, with a face that hadn't hit puberty yet. His picture was in no way representative of what he looked like in reality.

I've had 4 dates, and the only vaguely successful one was where we emailed maybe 3 times before he asked me out. We got on fantastically, but unfortunately there was no spark. With the others, we emailed for weeks, and it was a let-down when we met. I'm going to cancel my profiles very soon, but if I ever sign up again, I'm sticking to the rule of 3 emails and then a date.

I actually had the most infuriating exchange with one guy. He seemed really nice, I was quite interested in him, and was suitably flirty in messages. Then I got one that said "Pity you're out of my league or I'd have asked you out". I replied and told him not to be stupid, there's no such things as leagues. He replied with "Haha, maybe. So how was your weekend?" :mad:. I wrote back and said "Are you going to ask me out? ;)" and I got back "If I asked you out, would you say yes?". At that stage I lost patience altogether and wrote back saying that his clear lack of confidence had really put me off, that if he's just asked me out originally I'd have said yes, but his dancing around the issue had made me think there was something going on. Harsh, maybe, but I was beyond caring at that stage. Bloody timewaster.

So guys, top tip: Don't drag emails out over weeks or months. Everyone on a dating site is there to meet someone. If you like someone, ask them out within a week and don't arse around wasting time like so many guys do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Faith wrote: »
    If you like someone, ask them out within a week and don't arse around wasting time like so many guys do.

This is where I go wrong 9 times out of 10, the fear of being too forward, and thats not just online, thats in general!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Faith wrote: »

I actually had the most infuriating exchange with one guy. He seemed really nice, I was quite interested in him, and was suitably flirty in messages. Then I got one that said "Pity you're out of my league or I'd have asked you out". I replied and told him not to be stupid, there's no such things as leagues. He replied with "Haha, maybe. So how was your weekend?" :mad:. I wrote back and said "Are you going to ask me out? ;)" and I got back "If I asked you out, would you say yes?". At that stage I lost patience altogether and wrote back saying that his clear lack of confidence had really put me off, that if he's just asked me out originally I'd have said yes, but his dancing around the issue had made me think there was something going on. Harsh, maybe, but I was beyond caring at that stage. Bloody timewaster.

:eek: Not only have you come into a gentle mans forum but you've also made your slef look and sound like a complete witch of a woman. There is no need for talking to any one like that..:rolleyes: Its a dating site. yet you feel the need to share how you attmpted to make a bloke look bad over your own faustrations, serously get over your self...

quit with the dateing site and go have some fun!
    So guys, top tip: Don't drag emails out over weeks or months. Everyone on a dating site is there to meet someone. If you like someone, ask them out within a week and don't arse around wasting time like so many guys do.

Yep funny when ever ive gone out with a girl whos asked me out with in a week for a drink have always been crazy on the text pretty demanding, plain anoying. I wouldnt follow your advice at all... Id do anything but.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

:eek: Not only have you come into a gentle mans forum but you've also made your slef look and sound like a complete witch of a woman. There is no need for talking to any one like that..:rolleyes: Its a dating site. yet you feel the need to share how you attmpted to make a bloke look bad over your own faustrations, serously get over your self...

quit with the dateing site and go have some fun!

I never attempted to make him look bad and I resent that accusation. We emailed for weeks, I made it very clear that I was interested, and was keen to meet in person. He wasted my time by twice putting the offer of a date on the table, and then taking it away when I responded positively. That meant one of two things: A) he was a massive time waster, or B) he had very serious self-esteem issues. I paraphrased my reply to him in the above post; it wasn't actually that blunt but I couldn't be arsed typing it out last night. I told him that I was quite keen to meet him, that he seemed really nice, and I'd made it more than clear that I was interested in a date, but that his refusing to actually ask me out, even when it was 100% clear I'd say yes, had really put me off. If he was a time waster, then I saved myself some effort. If he had serious self esteem issues, then that's something he needs to sort out himself. He admitted in his reply that he had known I'd say yes to a date and yet he still didn't ask me out. The only frustration I had was from being messed around.
    Yep funny when ever ive gone out with a girl whos asked me out with in a week for a drink have always been crazy on the text pretty demanding, plain anoying. I wouldnt follow your advice at all... Id do anything but.

Then I guess it's a good thing that we're not chatting to each other on a dating site. I will not apologise for wanting a confident man who knows what he wants and isn't afraid to get it. Experience has taught me that someone who takes weeks to ask me out is usually taking that long for a reason. Self confidence is generally a good sign of maturity, and that's important to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement