Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Film Board Mega Recommendation Thread

Options
  • 25-06-2010 12:26am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right, since every second thread (at a rough guesstimate) recently seems to be looking for recommendations, may as well experiment with a mega recommendation thread to keep such requests in one place. Hopefully it will become a place to:

• ask for specific recommendations (genre, directors, 'films like X, Y, Z' etc...)
    • gather general recommendations from other posters
    • become a central point for recommendations in the film forum

Any other threads asking for recommendations will be merged in here.

I'm not going to sticky it for the moment (to cut down on the amount of stickies we have) but if it works we can stick it up there at a later point :)

Anyway, ask and recommend away. Just make sure to do it in here :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Ok, lets get this thing started. :D

I really enjoy French cinema and am looking for a few recommendations for French films.

Some I would recommend are:

Amélie - Lovely quaint film starring Audrey Tautou, really well written and very different from films of similar genre.

L'appartement - Extremely well put together film starring Vincent Cassel and Monica Belluci, later remade into the horrible Wicker Park.

La Haine - Gritty film centred around the Paris riots and a day in the lives of three young men from a complex of flats. Again, stars Cassel.

The City of Lost Children - Jean-Pierre Jeunet film with Ron Perlman, uses great set design and interesting colour schemes. Has an interesting story line and good performances all round.

The 400 Blows
    - Francois Truffaut film about a young boy in Paris in the 1950's and the sorts of trouble he gets himself into.

Delicatessen - Another Jeunet film, this time centering around a butcher shop in a post apocalyptic world. Again, with great colour schemes, as Jeunet always has.

Irreversible - Tough going film starring Vincent Cassel. Rather not say what it is about, but it has some of the best camera work and editing that I have ever seen.

Three Colours Trilogy - Kieslowski's best work in my opinion and pieced together beautifully.

Breathless - Godard/Truffaut film about a young French criminal and his relationship with a young American girl in Paris.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Incredibly shot film which uses techniques I have never before seen. True story of Jean-Dominique Bauby, who is in an accident, with his whole body left paralysed, except for one of his eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

If you havnt seen them then French horror is kicking ass at the moment.

Martyrs,Frontiers,Ils and Switchblade Romance immediately spring to mind(just disregard the glaring plotholes in the last one and you will do fine)

Good thread idea J_U.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

I'll second that last post - French horror is fantastic right now. Have seen all of the above films mentioned and recommend them all. If you like dark films too not necessarily horror ones, then check out "Calvarie" (The ordeal) - superbly disturbing French film.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    If you havnt seen them then French horror is kicking ass at the moment.

Martyrs,Frontiers,Ils and Switchblade Romance immediately spring to mind(just disregard the glaring plotholes in the last one and you will do fine)

Good thread idea J_U.

Have you found any other European foreign horror gems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Depends what you are after.

I havnt found many tense or creepy movies outside of the above but if you are into splatter/extreme gore check out the work of Olaf Ittenbach or Andreas Schnass.Also Heiko Fipper has made some mental stuff.Andre Iskanov is also a pioneer IMO when it comes to extreme horror.His most recent effort is called Philosophy of a Knife and is based on the Japanese world war 2 Unit 731.Be warned though,its 4 hours long and has some of the most intense and upsetting scenes in it of nearly anything Ive seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

This is in the other thread but suited to here as well.

My Winnipeg (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093842/)

My-Winnipeg-thumb-560xauto-24925.jpg

Would safely say this falls into the love/hate category and I'm definitely in the former one. It's an unusual film in that it's described as a 'surrealist-inflected pseudo-documentary', or as Maddin himself says, 'docu-fantasia'. Can't say I've come across too many like it. If you like your German expressionism, your silent movies, and mix that with a love letter to Winnipeg, then this is for you.

Seconds (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060955/)

seconds.jpg

This one totally took me by surprise. Great and depressing at the same time, with John Randolph being superb for his part. Though it does lose its way slightly halfway through, thanks to some strange Rock Hudson scenes, it picks it up for the finale, and gives us one of the best endings out there. Ahead of its time, that's for sure.

The Hidden (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093185/)

459568920_eb2176f1f7.jpg

Only caught this recently (recommended to me by someone saying it was a combination of The Thing and The Terminator) and had ****loads of fun with it. It's got the horror, the sci-fi, got the 80s cheese, flamethrowers, some ridiculously funny scenes and MacLachlan doing his whole FBI role before his Twin Peaks days. Just a really entertaining movie.

Chop Shop (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0990404/)

chopshop2.jpg

If you like your realism, and you like your City of God type flicks, then this is probably the one for you. Although it's better than that. Bahrani makes it look gritty, makes it slow, but it's a great character study which comes across as natural due to performances from Polanco and co. It's probably closer to reality than most documentaries you come across. Probably should have put this on the top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tinker13

Interesting thread.

In the vein of some of the above I'd have to recommend Oldboy. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/

Definitely not for the faint hearted though.

Some more...

Kabluey (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816545/)

kablu_600.1.jpg

Charming and funny movie this. It's quirky, but in a good way. Pendergast does a solid job here (Write/Director/Actor), and had me laughing out loud a number of times - a rare thing for me with recent comedies. The Iraq part of the story isn't too overbearing to distract you from the humour.

Quiet City (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0914382/)

quiet%20city.jpg

Definitely for fans of Before Sunset/Sunrise and the like. I've just used the word 'like' there, just as this film tends to do quite a bit, but if you can get by that small hurdle then it's a enjoyable slice of life movie. Part of the mumblecore genre of film, I'd also recommend checking out Funny Ha Ha from Bujalski. Or In Search of a Midknight Kiss. But this one is more accessible for sure.

Keane (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420291/)

keane.jpg

I'm sure there's a few Damien Lewis fans about here, so maybe you've seen this one already. Here he plays a schizophrenic who is adamant that he's has lost his daughter. Kerrigan does brilliantly to lead us into Keane's disturbed and fragile mind. It's excellent and disturbing at the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some other French films worth recommending:

Persepolis / Belleville Rendezvous - Two stunning animated and very different films. Persepolis tells of a girl who moves from Iran to western Europe, made with stunning black & white imagery. Belleville Rendezvous is just utterly loopers, surreal and very entertaining.

I've Loved You So Long - kind of like a family soap-opera, this film is anchored by a superb performance from Kirsten Scott Thomas and characters you really grow to like over the course of the film. Truly touching little gem.

Weekend - Godard's films range from masterpieces to pretentious junk, and Weekend could be considered either depending on your mood. For me, it's a fun, satirical celebration and criticism of all things cinema. Plus, that tracking shot is just epic.

Au Hasard Balthazar - from Robert Bresson, on one level the simple story of a donkey and his owner, on another a film about many positive and negative aspects of human nature. Definitely worth checking out.

The Class - a recent one, but a pleasantly intelligent and realistic take on the old 'teacher in an underprivileged class' genre.

The Piano Teacher / Cache - Two of Michael Haneke's best films, the first is a pretty shocking but thoughtful character study. Isabelle Huppert is absolutely fantastic in this. The latter ('Hidden' on DVD here) is one of the best films of recent years, inventive, socially aware and powerful. Plus, there's one scene you'll never forget ;)

Good thread. Watched a film recently called The Stoning of Soraya M. It's set in Iran and it's about a woman who meets a French journalist and tells him the story behind how her niece was stoned to death by all the prominent male figures in their local village. It's a really excellent film - very compelling, with an unbelievably real and graphic stoning scene, and it's a true story. Really worth a look.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1277737/

Can anyone recommend any Middle Eastern movies like this, i.e - based on true stories/compelling viewing? (Preferably not to do with war in Iraq etc!!!)

• Advertisement

Maybe check out some of Jafar Panahi's movies perhaps?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Maybe not as Random as some of the ones mentioned above but anyone with even a fleeting interest in poker should look at Rounders staring Matt Damon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

purpur1 wrote: »
    Have you found any other European foreign horror gems?

You absolutely have to watch Rec (Spanish) Excellent film. I just watched Rec 2 recently which didn't get the best reviews but I though that was brilliant as well (although not better than the 1st. Enjoy.

I must check out those French horrors, thanks lads!

Great thread Johnny!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭draylander

Any recommendations on a decent documentary. Nothing about animals or the planet cause they are screwed and i dont need a film to know that. O and nothing that would likely be recommended by Oprah or as i like to call her, Satan.

Two that id recommend
    Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    American, the bill hicks story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

This is quite a specific request, but I've just seen "12 angry men" for the first time and now would easily put it as one of my favorite movies. The narrative of having the entire film in almost one location is fast becoming my personal favorite. "The man from earth" is another I love for this very same reason, and I think "Resevoir Dogs" would qualify as well, except being set in a warehouse instead of a room. Can anybody recommend me any other films set almost entirely in one room or location?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Ok, lets get this thing started. :D

I really enjoy French cinema and am looking for a few recommendations for French films.

Some I would recommend are:

Amélie - Lovely quaint film starring Audrey Tautou, really well written and very different from films of similar genre.

L'appartement - Extremely well put together film starring Vincent Cassel and Monica Belluci, later remade into the horrible Wicker Park.

La Haine - Gritty film centred around the Paris riots and a day in the lives of three young men from a complex of flats. Again, stars Cassel.

The City of Lost Children - Jean-Pierre Jeunet film with Ron Perlman, uses great set design and interesting colour schemes. Has an interesting story line and good performances all round.

The 400 Blows
    - Francois Truffaut film about a young boy in Paris in the 1950's and the sorts of trouble he gets himself into.

Delicatessen - Another Jeunet film, this time centering around a butcher shop in a post apocalyptic world. Again, with great colour schemes, as Jeunet always has.

Irreversible - Tough going film starring Vincent Cassel. Rather not say what it is about, but it has some of the best camera work and editing that I have ever seen.

Three Colours Trilogy - Kieslowski's best work in my opinion and pieced together beautifully.

Breathless - Godard/Truffaut film about a young French criminal and his relationship with a young American girl in Paris.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Incredibly shot film which uses techniques I have never before seen. True story of Jean-Dominique Bauby, who is in an accident, with his whole body left paralysed, except for one of his eyes.

Good listing - a few there I will def take a look at myself.

Anything by Luc Besson I think is worth a look in terms of production value (often less strong on script):

Angel-A - Quirky and interesting filming techniques...story line is engaging enough - story of a woman who befriends a parisian con artist..
    La Femme Nikita- remade by American Cinema, story of a convicted felon trained to be an assassin...

TheManWho wrote: »
    This is quite a specific request, but I've just seen "12 angry men" for the first time and now would easily put it as one of my favorite movies. The narrative of having the entire film in almost one location is fast becoming my personal favorite. "The man from earth" is another I love for this very same reason, and I think "Resevoir Dogs" would qualify as well, except being set in a warehouse instead of a room. Can anybody recommend me any other films set almost entirely in one room or location?

Personally I think that the quality of movies set in one location varies a lot but more you can explore are:

Conspiracy (Director: Frank Pierson)
    Phone Booth (Colin Farrell)
    Panic Room (Jodie Foster)

12 Angry Men is a superb movie.

Tape

Haven't seen it yet myself but it's been on my to watch list for ages. Sounds like the thing you're after.

Others that may qualify:

Clerks
    Das Boot
    Eraserhead
    [Rec]
    Cube
    Dog Day Afternoon
    Delicatessen
    Inside
    Moon
    Elephant
    Rear Window
    The Mist
    United 93
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Das Experiment

Actually I could go on forever, there's a ****load out there that could fall into this category.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Help people!

I'm home sick and need some movies to pass the time. I'm in the mood for some brainless action/adventure and/or Sci-fi. I'm finding it hard to find movies that appeal to me but that I haven't seen!

As posted on page 1 (seems like the type of film you're after):

The Hidden (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093185/)

459568920_eb2176f1f7.jpg

Only caught this recently (recommended to me by someone saying it was a combination of The Thing and The Terminator) and had ****loads of fun with it. It's got the horror, the sci-fi, got the 80s cheese, flamethrowers, some ridiculously funny scenes and MacLachlan doing his whole FBI role before his Twin Peaks days. Just a really entertaining movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Great thread, could people continue to give either IMDB links or a short synopsis of the film when recommending them? It's very helpful.

And pictures. Pictures are very, very important!

I might post up a few later on, see if I can think of a few others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

draylander wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a decent documentary. Nothing about animals or the planet cause they are screwed and i dont need a film to know that. O and nothing that would likely be recommended by Oprah or as i like to call her, Satan.

Two that id recommend
    Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    American, the bill hicks story

A few random documentaries worth watching:

The King of Kong - most entertaining documentary in years, about a bizarre Donkey Kong high score contest. Weird and funny, and a look at a very intense little community.

Jesus Camp - terrifying account of a fundamentalist Christian group. Insightful and scary!

Grizzly Man / Encounters at the End of the World - two odd but fascinating Herzog documentaries.

Not too many I can think off in this little subgenre. I'd say Through a Glass Darkly, which is largely limited to one small island. Very claustrophobic. I guess you could count loads of horror films there too, although probably not what you're looking for (Evil Dead etc...). The Hole in My Heart I'm pretty sure is entirely set in a cramped apartment I think, but I don't recommend it - it's a pretty full on film, quite mean-spirited on occasion, and definitely a disappointment from the talented director Lukas Modysson . Pretty much hated it, but it does fit into your category.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Help people!

I'm home sick and need some movies to pass the time. I'm in the mood for some brainless action/adventure and/or Sci-fi. I'm finding it hard to find movies that appeal to me but that I haven't seen!

While far from mindless I'd highly recommend the following sci-fi films:

John Carpenter's The Thing:

Event Horizon:

Moon:

Now for mindless action here are some of my faves:

Commando:

Showdown In LIttle Tokyo:

The newest Rambo film:

Predator:

That should chase the blues away!

draylander wrote: »

Don't have time to do a write up about these but here are some of my favourite ones:

Man on Wire (2008) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1155592/)
    Obcan Havel (2008) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0843329/) - Pretty hard to find though
    The King of Kong (2007) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/)
    The Thin Blue Line (1988) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096257/)
    Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (1991) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102015/)
    American Movie (1999) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181288/)
    Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (2008) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152758/)
    Collapse (2009) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1503769/)
    Waltz With Bashir (2008) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185616/)
    Im toten Winkel - Hitlers Sekretärin (2002) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311320/)
    Taxi to the Dark Side (2008) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0854678/)
    Murderball (2005) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436613/)
    In the Shadow of the Moon (2007) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0925248/)
    Tyson (2009) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032821/)
    Bigger Stronger Faster* (2007) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1151309/)
    Standard Operating Procedure (2008) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0896866/)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Love this french film,one of my favourites,it has everthing thrown in ,including the kitchen sink.
    Vincent Cassel is great in this.I was lucky enough to get the full length version from Canada at the time,as i could'nt find it anywhere else.
    Not to be missed IMO.
    The film is loosely based on the book L'Innocence des loups ("The Innocence of the Wolves"), by the French zoologist Michel Louis, a study about a real-life series of killings that took place in France in the 18th century and the famous legend around the Beast of Gévaudan. Parts of the film were shot at Château de Roquetaillade. Being a historical drama film, it has anachronistic martial arts fight sequences; it also contains elements of erotica, mystery, horror, politics, romance, and fantasy.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0237534/

Trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7DTv2uBA7I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSjvrlDxlaQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I'm not exactly a routine poster, but I do read this board a lot and I'd like to second the suggestion of jaykhunter above with regards to having imdb links, images and trailers.

This thread could be an excellent resource, but it could also turn into a mess of a thread with just a bunch of unintelligible lists (:O not lists!).

So I propose having rules with regards to posting. I think that an imdb link is essential anyway. Pictures definitely help, as do trailers, but I don't think they are necessities so could be added at the posters discretion. A short description/indication of genre could be a good idea too. Basically I'm lazy and having to type something into imdb only to find it's something I wouldn't be remotely interested in grieves me. Hence imdb links and some indication of what it is I'm clicking would help. A lot.

Requests are obviously a big part, but just saying "recommend me a movie" is a little vague, so maybe have some sort of rules with regards to that too. Just something simple like a director/film/genre you liked to base recommendations on.

Like I say, this could be a sweet resource, I've used it a few times already (I'm gonna watch The Hidden tonight (thanks Renn (mmm multiple parentheses))) and it'd be deadly as a sticky, but it could easily become pretty messy...

Here's some recommendations:

Ip Man - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1220719/

Starring Donnie Yen, the true (probably embellished) story of Ip Man, the first master to teach Wing Chun, the martial art popularized by Bruce Lee, who was also one of his pupils. The film follows Ip Man from his beginnings in Fushon, the home of martial arts, to his experiences of, and displacement by the Japanese occupation before and during WW2. The film perfectly blends great action set pieces, drama, comedy and tragedy. Quality that has become typical of Chinese cinema.

Ip Man 2 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386932/

The sequel, obviously. Follows Ip Man's time in Hong Kong, his struggle to set up a martial arts school and again the Chinese's struggle with foreign occupation, this time by the British. The film has a slightly different tone to the first, but is nonetheless as entertaining.

Red Cliff - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425637/

Sprawling epic, in two parts, at over 4 hours long, but easily one of the greatest films I have ever seen. Stars Tony Leung among many others, and directed by John Woo. It is visually amazing with set pieces of an unimaginable scale, a story that moves at just the right pace (dispite what you may think based on it's running time), great character development, great acting, the colours, the history, the action. It's perfect. See the original Chinese cut, apparently it got butchered for Western release.

pinksoir wrote: »
    I'm not exactly a routine poster, but I do read this board a lot and I'd like to second the suggestion of jaykhunter above with regards to having imdb links, images and trailers.

Well I don't know if I'm pro having very strict rules, but some sort of detail is necessary to avoid the dreaded 'l' word (ends in 'ist'). Personally, a short description of why you're recommending something to someone is enough for me. Don't want people recommending 'Anchorman' when someone asks for a documentary :pac: If people want to add extra details, please be as helpful as you want :) Just as long as it doesn't become lists with nothing backing them up, it should be fine.

Also, there's a search thread button up yonder ^^^^ If this does become a lengthy thread over time, I'll update the first post to tell people they can use that to see if their request has been asked before.

If someone asks something, just provide them with a relevant response, rather than just listing fifteen random films that are nothing like each other. With that in mind, hopefully this thread will indeed become a valuable resource.

Oh, does everyone want this stickied? It's quite cluttered up there, but I have no objections if others want it (just have to check with Galva and faceman too!).

• Advertisement

I hear ya. I'd still argue that imdb links are definitely a help, but I appreciate you don't wanna enforce it as a rule.

Advertisement