Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Bollocks.
    Was always going to happen that someone wod leave, but Morris would be the one I would have kept over Conway and D Kearney.

Were going to be a bit short during the WC I'd say.
    Will be interesting to see joe's signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Morris wasn't getting the games that he deserved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

It's potentially a good move for Leinster and Morris. He should get more game time in a top class set up surrounded by quality players. Mick Dawson said in the article that he hopes Niall will come back to Leinster some day so it certainly seems that they didn't want him to go. If we can get an accomplished HEC starter with the raw talent that Morris now possesses back in 2 years then it could work perfectly for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Is fionn carr defo coming back? Makes more sense if he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

Two years at Leicester didn't do Leo Cullen or Shane Jennings any harm! I hope Morris continues to develop there, plays a lot of games for them and comes back in 2013 ready to take Shane Horgan's spot in the Leinster team.

I'd say Leinster will bring in a lot of new players either from the academy or elsewhere ahead of next season. A big clearout seems to be taking place. Ronan McCormack, Trevor Hogan and John Fogarty have retired. Niall Morris, Nathan Hines and Stan Wright are moving to other clubs. Ben Prescott, Clint Newland and Mariano Galarza have already moved on. There are bound to be more moving on too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Jamie Cudmore?

Only problem is POC bashed him!

He's an absolute scumbag and would miss as much rugby as he plays. He is probably the last player - well besides Botha - that a Munster Leinster derby would need, but it would make for some entertaining viewing. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Jamie Cudmore?

Only problem is POC bashed him!

Hmm, I think I saw that fight a different way to you, but in fairness, PO'C held back and the ref / linesman should have interviened before it got out of hand. Very harsh on PO'C to get the yellow also.

Cudmore is one of the biggest scumbags in rugby and I'd hate to see him at Leinster.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Cudmore is one of the biggest scumbags in rugby and I'd hate to see him at Leinster.

Quoted for truth.

Would be exactly the wrong type of player. We don't need thugs, we need athletic locks that don't know when to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Mixed feelings about the Morris transfer. I think leaving is probably in his best interests, but surely he would've been better off going to a lower leveled club. Will he get much game-time in Leicester?

Kyle Tonetti moved to Sale, and I've seen/heard little of him. Hopefully it pans out different for Morris.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

GerM wrote: »
    They're looking at more than that. Niall Morris has just signed a 2 year deal with them. It's in the Sunday Times this morning. McFadden was approached too but turned them down.

Who has Morris signed with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

Who has Morris signed with?
    Leicester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

They're looking at more than that. Niall Morris has just signed a 2 year deal with them. It's in the Sunday Times this morning. McFadden was approached too but turned them down.

Got a link to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Surley wrote: »
    Got a link to that?

Sunday Times online content is behind a paywall.

jolley123 wrote: »
    Kyle Tonetti moved to Sale, and I've seen/heard little of him. Hopefully it pans out different for Morris.

Tonetti has had a lot of game time for Sale. He's started about half of their Premiership matches in the centre and has had a decent bit of game time in the cups too. Certainly hasn't fallen off the radar there which isn't too bad considering the bloke who signed him was sent packing. If Morris gets as much pitch time at Leicester as Tonetti has been receiving, he'll be doing alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Tonetti has had a lot of game time for Sale. He's started about half of their Premiership matches in the centre and has had a decent bit of game time in the cups too. Certainly hasn't fallen off the radar there which isn't too bad considering the bloke who signed him was sent packing. If Morris gets as much pitch time at Leicester as Tonetti has been receiving, he'll be doing alright.

Good stuff! I don't watch the premiership so I just go by match reports. Has he looked good? The last couple games he payed for Leinster, I thought he showed promise.

jolley123 wrote: »
    Good stuff! I don't watch the premiership so I just go by match reports. Has he looked good? The last couple games he payed for Leinster, I thought he showed promise.

He has looked average enough to be honest. He's in a struggling side though so it's hard to really judge him. He's had a few nice touches and scored one or two tries but never really stands out. I don't think any of the provinces will be making massive efforts to bring him home anytime soon but I'm happy that it looks like he'll get a decent career out of it.

For me, Morris probably has more raw talent than Tonetti but isn't as solid. If Leicester can give him that consistency his game is crying out for he could be a really good option for them. He'll have his work cut out for him over there but Leicester use the full depth of their squad so I'm sure he'll see some pitch time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

I'm not happy with the Morris transfer. Hes been excellent whenever hes played this season could be another Felix Jones were letting go.

I'm not happy with the Morris transfer. Hes been excellent whenever hes played this season could be another Felix Jones were letting go.

The difference is though that Morris is going abroad to a team that we've a history of re-signing our players from when they've shown the goods. Jones went to Munster where he's only a couple of hours from home and is still firmly in the window for international selection. If Morris comes good he knows that he will need to come home to get recognition with the national team. We've a strong bargaining tool there. If and when Morris comes good, it's very likely that he'll come back to Leinster if we want him.

Currently, leaving is the best thing for his development. He's too far down the pecking order here to get much time even during the WC. Fair play to him for backing himself to go and make a name for himself elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Any news on the Jennings injury?
    He is badly missed and will definitely be needed for the Leicester.

He could do with a run-out in the Munster game next weekend to get back into match sharpness (if he is available).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

The difference is though that Morris is going abroad to a team that we've a history of re-signing our players from when they've shown the goods. Jones went to Munster where he's only a couple of hours from home and is still firmly in the window for international selection. If Morris comes good he knows that he will need to come home to get recognition with the national team. We've a strong bargaining tool there. If and when Morris comes good, it's very likely that he'll come back to Leinster if we want him.

Currently, leaving is the best thing for his development. He's too far down the pecking order here to get much time even during the WC. Fair play to him for backing himself to go and make a name for himself elsewhere.

I think you're being a bit over optimistic there Jennings and Cullen worked out well but its not like they speak a different language or have a different culture in Leicester. They're a very tight nit and successful club. Plenty of players stay for life, just ask Geordan Murphy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 One time

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Any other sources for this? Not saying it's not true but that paper is awful and Farrelly is useless. He was reporting a few weeks ago that Ross was going to Munster, Botha to Leinster, Hagan to Munster. I'll believe it when I see it. It'll be a real shame losing Stan though, terrific player.

Howya, would be an intermittent viewer and non-poster on boards.ie and the various provincial fans sites like munsterfans and leinsterfans and it’s fair to say that, once you get past the mad stuff, you get to read some interesting and informed opinions.
    However, regarding the above quote, there are a few facts that need to be highlighted….

The Indo never reported that “Ross was going to Munster”. In the story about Hagan rejoining Leinster (and not staying with Connacht as had been released), it was mentioned that Ross was attracting strong interest from Munster which was a fact – it was never stated that he was moving to Munster although various thread titles suggested that it had.

Secondly, the Indo never reported that Botha was joining Leinster. Last December, the paper had a story that Botha was unlikely to re-sign with Ulster and would be interested in a “move south”, stating that contact had been made with Munster and Leinster which was entirely correct. Joining Leinster was never mentioned.

Thirdly, the paper never said Hagan was going to Munster. The Indo revealed that he hadn’t signed again for Connacht, as was widely reported, and would be rejoining Leinster – both true.

Finally, the paper may be regarded as “awful”, that is a subjective opinion, but getting the facts right is always important, with less leeway for error than online posters are allowed.
    All of the above statements are factual as, incidentally, were other Indo stories such as Ed O’Donoghue joining from Ulster, Leinster moving to Clonskeagh, Leicester chasing McFadden, Ross signing on for two more years (printed the day of the England match), Ulster signing an All Black prop (Afoa), losing Ryan Caldwell to Bath etc, etc as well, of course, as Wright moving to Stade
    Not earth-shattering stuff, but all correct, which should be important…

I think you're being a bit over optimistic there Jennings and Cullen worked out well but its not like they speak a different language or have a different culture in Leicester. They're a very tight nit and successful club. Plenty of players stay for life, just ask Geordan Murphy

Very true. They're very much a community club with a tight knit following and a lot of players who go there don't leave. There are a fair few players who walk away though despite being there for years like Hipkiss and Moody. Very few of the foreign players have the Irish issue of (realistically) having to be at home to become available for selection internationally (like Castro or Ayerza). GM is a different scenario in relation to Irish players in England. He never played for any of the provinces and had a life in England including his other half whose career is based there. He was already in an Irish jersey as he came on the scene before the necessity to play in Ireland was common. It was much easier for him to turn down the advances of the provinces when they came calling a few years ago.

A more relevant example would be Johne Murphy who as a promising young player went to Leicester, turned in some very good performances over a few years but returned to Ireland and only then did he receive call ups to international squads.

If Morris is showing form worthy of international selection over the course of his time in Leicester, I'd be surprised if he didn't come back to Ireland assuming one of the provinces wanted him. If he doesn't develop to that standard then best of luck to him in his career and I hope he makes a few quid.

One time wrote: »
    Howya, would be an intermittent viewer and non-poster on boards.ie and the various provincial fans sites like munsterfans and leinsterfans and it’s fair to say that, once you get past the mad stuff, you get to read some interesting and informed opinions.
    However, regarding the above quote, there are a few facts that need to be highlighted….

The Indo never reported that “Ross was going to Munster”. In the story about Hagan rejoining Leinster (and not staying with Connacht as had been released), it was mentioned that Ross was attracting strong interest from Munster which was a fact – it was never stated that he was moving to Munster although various thread titles suggested that it had.

Secondly, the Indo never reported that Botha was joining Leinster. Last December, the paper had a story that Botha was unlikely to re-sign with Ulster and would be interested in a “move south”, stating that contact had been made with Munster and Leinster which was entirely correct. Joining Leinster was never mentioned.

Thirdly, the paper never said Hagan was going to Munster. The Indo revealed that he hadn’t signed again for Connacht, as was widely reported, and would be rejoining Leinster – both true.

Finally, the paper may be regarded as “awful”, that is a subjective opinion, but getting the facts right is always important, with less leeway for error than online posters are allowed.
    All of the above statements are factual as, incidentally, were other Indo stories such as Ed O’Donoghue joining from Ulster, Leinster moving to Clonskeagh, Leicester chasing McFadden, Ross signing on for two more years (printed the day of the England match), Ulster signing an All Black prop (Afoa), losing Ryan Caldwell to Bath etc, etc as well, of course, as Wright moving to Stade

How's the form Hugh?
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I can see why Leicester went for Morris. He's big and fast (priority no.1 for English teams) and has some skill too. At the minimum he'll be a decent AP standard player.

Very true. They're very much a community club with a tight knit following and a lot of players who go there don't leave. There are a fair few players who walk away though despite being there for years like Hipkiss and Moody. Very few of the foreign players have the Irish issue of (realistically) having to be at home to become available for selection internationally (like Castro or Ayerza). GM is a different scenario in relation to Irish players in England. He never played for any of the provinces and had a life in England including his other half whose career is based there. He was already in an Irish jersey as he came on the scene before the necessity to play in Ireland was common. It was much easier for him to turn down the advances of the provinces when they came calling a few years ago.

A more relevant example would be Johne Murphy who as a promising young player went to Leicester, turned in some very good performances over a few years but returned to Ireland and only then did he receive call ups to international squads.

If Morris is showing form worthy of international selection over the course of his time in Leicester, I'd be surprised if he didn't come back to Ireland assuming one of the provinces wanted him. If he doesn't develop to that standard then best of luck to him in his career and I hope he makes a few quid.

Thats a convient example but I take on board what you're saying. Hopefully we'll get to a stage in Ireland where you can play abroad and still get picked on merit.

:) That's brilliant fair play but you need to expand the intermittent viewer bit to frequent pilferer of boards opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

It's never good to see a decent player leave but Morris is 4th choice FB and not much higher in the pecking order for the wing with more young lads coming all the time. If he got a decent offer from Leicester, fair play to him.

As for Leinster letting Felix Jones leave, I think it was the right call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ladies and gentlemen, Mister Hugh Farrelly.

In fairness, you're not as bad as that clown Franno when copying and pasting internet threads into newspapers.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen, Mister Hugh Farrelly.

In fairness, you're not as bad as that clown Franno when copying and pasting internet threads into newspapers.

I'm waiting for the Francis article that still has the username from the thread he knicked it from on it. Not long now.

• Advertisement

I'm waiting for the Francis article that still has the username from the thread he knicked it from on it. Not long now.

Say what? First I've heard of any of this! I guess not having access to Irish print media means I'm out of the loop

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement