Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm lifting my veil from mourning just to say Stan will be badly, badly missed at Leinster, as a player and a character. He's a real fan favourite and the relationship he had with the club and the supporters was fantastic.

It's a terrible shame to see him go, but best of luck to him and I hope he helps Cheika win some silverware (as long as it's not Heineken Cup ;)) in France.

On the positive side, this is great news for Jamie Hagan, who was surely told of this before committing to Leinster, and it's also great news for Maguire, who is now potentially 3rd choice after Hagan. Some great propping talen at Leinster and it's good to see them moving up the pecking order and hopefully they can step up (assuming Shawe is let go as cover next season), and it's good to have an all Irish contingent in the tight head spot...who would have thunk it!

I was hoping Stan would stay on at Leinster as a scrummaging coach when he retired, and am surprised he's heading off, but such is life.

Cheerio Stan, thanks for the many memories and even more solid scrums.

I think that'll be only two NIQ players in the Leinster squad next season? (not including Irish Qualified To Be Strauss)

Really have freed up space for some major major signings post WC. Excited...

Now I'm off to dress in black and sit silently in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Any other sources for this? Not saying it's not true but that paper is awful and Farrelly is useless. He was reporting a few weeks ago that Ross was going to Munster, Botha to Leinster, Hagan to Munster. I'll believe it when I see it. It'll be a real shame losing Stan though, terrific player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Big loss losing Stan Wright, somebody will have to do extremely well to dislodge him from my All-time NIQ Leinster Legend XV! Which by the way hasn't been completed but notable others include Ollie Le Roux, Rocky, Dr Phil and Isa!

I love you Stan

Its like a break up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

[QUOTE='[Jackass]
    I think that'll be only two NIQ players in the Leinster squad next season? (not including Irish Qualified To Be Strauss)

Really have freed up space for some major major signings post WC. Excited...
    [/QUOTE]

Leinster don't need to sign many more players now especially NIQ players. A second row is probably all they need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Defo on the second row. It's the biggest worry going forward. I'm not convinced about toner as a HEC player

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

This is how I felt when I heard the news:

dawson-crying.jpg

However, thinking about it, they've given a 32 year old prop with knee troubles a three year contract, so fair play to Stan for taking it. I'm sure Leinster's offer wouldn't have been near the money or length of Stade's.

Gives Jamie Hagan a huge chance to move forward, and hopefully we will keep Shawe too.

Also frees up two good NIQ spots for us. A second row, and replacement for Berne probably.

Bekker/Whitelock would be my choice for Hines replacement, and was watching Championship rugby last week, and thought the former NDG and current Nottingham OH James Alridge would be a great signing for Bernes replacement. Low cost, great player, and getting on a bit so wont keep Madigan/McKinley out.

Having said all of that, I LOVE YOU STAN! Thanks for the memories big man. :(
    I'll be joining Jackass in the corner of the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

wixfjord wrote: »
    Bekker/Whitelock would be my choice for Hines replacement, and was watching Championship rugby last week, and thought the former NDG and current Nottingham OH James Alridge would be a great signing for Bernes replacement. Low cost, great player, and getting on a bit so wont keep Madigan/McKinley out.

Alas both Bekker and Whitelock are signed up with their respective unions until the end of 2011/12. The longer it goes on, the more I think Nathan Sharpe should be approached. The ARU said they weren't offering him another international contract last week. He should be open to leaving.

GerM wrote: »
    Alas both Bekker and Whitelock are signed up with their respective unions until the end of 2011/12. The longer it goes on, the more I think Nathan Sharpe should be approached. The ARU said they weren't offering him another international contract last week. He should be open to leaving.

Aha! It's perfect! A Wagga Wagga Nathan, replacing a Wagga Wagga Nathan! Tis perfect!
    Would be a great signing, and a good few years left in him too.
    Get Rocky to put in a word or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Meh, Sharpe would be a good signing for a season or two, but we need a NIQ long term signing, a mid-20s lock.

We'll have to see, but I'd like Leinster to make two big second row signings. Cullen is the only international quality lock we'll have left next season and he's only got one more season left in him I'd say.

The importance of having two NIQ locks would be the strength of the pack during the internationals also for Magners League.

As more and more Leinster players become regulars in Green, we haven't coped as well this season during the international break.

Old School Front Row Farewell

354932.jpg

At least someone's happy..

happy-dog.jpg

Contepomi
    Elsom
    Stan

3 NIQs that absolutely nailed their spots at Leinster. Would all get a standing ovation coming back to play against us at any stage.

Wish Stan the best tbh, didn't he win "Underrated player of the season" or something with us a year or two ago?

wixfjord wrote: »

am watching him play at the moment.

Is S15 always like this? Glorified tag rugby really. Defences penalised for everything, attacking teams given wide berth at the breakdown to seal all rucks (that's if there is ever a challenge in the rucks). It's as though they've taken the breakdown completely out of the game (Rugby League?).

It's bizarre stuff!

Leinster handicap for tomorrow against NDG is -4. Looks very good bet to me.
    Sexton starting makes a huge difference.

Problem Jackass, is that most international locks are unavailable next season. It's not a matter of picking who we want. If we want someone under 30 we'll have to sign a S15 lock as opposed to an international lock. All the current NZ international locks are out of the equation automatically as they're all contracted (aside from Thorn who isn't an option). The top 4 (Matfield, Botha, Bekker and Flip VDM) rated Springbok locks are out of contention too. After that, if we want to stick with international class players, we're down to the Aussies. Sharpe, Simmons and Chisholm. Sharpe and Chisholm are both the wrong side of 30 post WC and Simmons is only a kid still so won't be going anywhere I would think. Chisholm is supposedly on his way to Bath which would leave Sharpe.

After that (and I think this is quite a likely scenario), we're looking at S15 players. I wouldn't rule this one out by a long way. Someone like James Horwill hasn't played for the Wallabies in quite a while but is relatively young. He's a big lump and is captaining the Reds these days. Most importantly, his contract is up at the end of the WC. If he's not selected for the WC, which seems likely, then we should definitely look at him. Big bloke, good leadership and can play a bit. I'd gladly take him.

am watching him play at the moment.

Is S15 always like this? Glorified tag rugby really. Defences penalised for everything, attacking teams given wide berth at the breakdown to seal all rucks (that's if there is ever a challenge in the rucks). It's as though they've taken the breakdown completely out of the game (Rugby League?).

It's bizarre stuff!

It is. It's a weird one to watch. Their skill levels are outrageously higher though. I went to an NPC game in Auckland a few months back and the forwards were throwing skip passes off their left, offloading and the continuity was unreal. On the other hand, tackling was optional; players were breezing through gaps. I'm not sure the players make a massive effort in the S15 in comparison to the HEC but are more than capable of doing it if they wanted as seen at international level. The HEC just seems a much more passionate, intense spectacle albeit with more limited ability on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Why exactly do we care if the lock we bring in is the wrong side of 30? Nathan Hines was 32 or 33 when he signed, that wasn't a problem!

I don't mind signing old players so long as they contribute the same amount that Stan/Rocky/Hines did.

We need a lock for next season, no problem bringing in a "band aid" to give us one maybe two seasons while we find the next Richie Gray!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

We need a lock for next season, no problem bringing in a "band aid" to give us one maybe two seasons while we find the next Richie Gray!

Fingers crossed that our next Richie Gray is Richie Gray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

GerM wrote: »
    Someone like James Horwill hasn't played for the Wallabies in quite a while but is relatively young. He's a big lump and is captaining the Reds these days. Most importantly, his contract is up at the end of the WC. If he's not selected for the WC, which seems likely, then we should definitely look at him. Big bloke, good leadership and can play a bit. I'd gladly take him.

Horwill missed a lot of 2010 after rupturing ligaments in his knee, only for that would been in the 4 jersey for the Aussies. He would be a great signing for Leinster, very dynamic and has even been playing 6 for the Reds this season. Would be the perfect replacement for Hines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Leicester just hammered Bath.....Really hope we pick up a W next week and meet them with momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Just watched Leicester put 37 points on Bath at the Rec. Looking ominously strong in the run in to the heineken quarter final. Looking to me like the HRC winner will come from that match.

Can't be worrying about Leicester yet. It's all about tomorrow for now and then a big game next weekend. Our away form has really made it a tough run in for the end of the season, every game is a must win from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

I'd love Sharpe to come to Leinster, I think he would really suit the team, hes really a class act. If we could get two or three seasons out of someone like him I'd be happy and hopefully a young lad would be there to take his place when he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

David900 wrote: »
    I'd love Sharpe to come to Leinster, I think he would really suit the team, hes really a class act. If we could get two or three seasons out of someone like him I'd be happy and hopefully a young lad would be there to take his place when he goes.

He's a great player, the only 'oldie' in Robbie Deans' side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

jolley123 wrote: »
    Leicester just hammered Bath.....Really hope we pick up a W next week and meet them with momentum.

Read the report on it; they really do have a serious team. Back row of Croft, Newby and Waldrom is going to cause massive problems. Maybe we have the edge in the backs but not by much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

Jamie Cudmore?

Only problem is POC bashed him!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

To be fair they're probably looking at the twenty tries we scored in the HEC and the fact that 8 or 9 of the Ireland 15 plays for Leinster .

• Advertisement

durkadurka wrote: »
    To be fair they're probably looking at the twenty tries we scored in the HEC and the fact that 8 or 9 of the Ireland 15 plays for Leinster .

They're looking at more than that. Niall Morris has just signed a 2 year deal with them. It's in the Sunday Times this morning. McFadden was approached too but turned them down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement