Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

No your place of birth is just that, the place you were born and the county that is listed on your long form birth cert.

On my long form Birth Cert it just states General hospital as my place of birth.

It is the location of where you were born. The census uses the mothers address.
    Didnt know that, Well I am a Donegal man all my life but was born in Sligo hospital. So to see Sligo as my place of birth on the passport looks a bit off, but I suppose if its literally the place of birth thats needed on the passport then Sligo is correct. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Pangea wrote: »
    On my long form Birth Cert it just states General hospital as my place of birth.

Didnt know that, Well I am a Donegal man all my life but was born in Sligo hospital. So to see Sligo as my place of birth on the passport looks a bit off, but I suppose if its literally the place of birth thats needed on the passport then Sligo is correct. Thanks.
    My place of birth is Dublin but have never lived there and certainly would have no loyalty to the place. I still do get some ribbing when going back to Cork with my Jackeen passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

My place of birth is Dublin but have never lived there and certainly would have no loyalty to the place. I still do get some ribbing when going back to Cork with my Jackeen passport.

About time they put border controls up around Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

livinsane wrote: »
    Like I said, the leather passport cover will conceal this (all the pages are inside the cover and when you open it, all you can see is the photo page and opposite one. You can get them in the Cork passport office anyway (they have a vending machine), and as far as I remember, Penny's used to do them at one stage.

It doesn't sound like your passport is badly damaged at all but if you email the Passport Office, guaranteed they will tell you that they can't give a 100% answer as it depends on who you meet at passport control in the airport.

I cant see how a cover would concel this, a cover will only hide the passport cover itself not the pages, I cant see how each individual page will be covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

im not travelling for 10 weeks, how much does it cost to replace a passport using the long waiting times?

• Advertisement

Use passport express. The slow way actually costs more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I cant see how a cover would concel this, a cover will only hide the passport cover itself not the pages, I cant see how each individual page will be covered

You can slip all the pages inside the cover so when you open it, the pages are not loose. They are secure inside the leather cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mzoe

I am a dual citizen and my name is written quite differently in my two passports, and it often happens that the boarding card and the passport I use at the time don't match. Never had a problem because of that. Hope never will, but am getting paranoid a bit since I had a problem with the French port authorities in St-Malo. Nothing serious, just stupid questions, like Chief Marshal Cruchot.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

But some immigration officers may want to flip through the other pages besides the photo page, and if there is a visa required then they definitely will need to see it.

Within the EU they won't bother and some Ryanair jobsworth certainly won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

went to the passport office yesterday to renew a lost passport as needed for flying out next thursday women said i needed a new birth cert and proof of travel and she could sort it out

so went to Joice house got the birth cert only to come back and be served by someone else telling me i need proof of traveling fine

went home got proof of travel for Monday which is to late

went back to the passport office today wednesday got to the counter with all the stuff only for them to tell me its 20 working days?wtf why didnt they say that the day before?

anyway she went away came back only to tell me he would have it on the 7th and that's with proof of travel

whats the likely hood of it coming before then anyone know?

and why does one person tell you one thing and another person tell you another?

what's the likely hood of it coming before then anyone know?
    Slim I would say. More chance of Iain Paisley becoming pope.

and thats posted why cant i collect she said it would be the same i thought it would be quicker if i collected it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

lisar816 wrote: »
    and thats posted why cant i collect she said it would be the same i thought it would be quicker if i collected it
    Because the passport isn't produced at the office, it's done offsite, so it's either posted to you or dispatched to the office. Little difference in timing.

Also, please try to punctuate your posts if you're looking for help. Your posts make for pretty hard reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Because the passport isn't produced at the office, it's done offsite, so it's either posted to you or dispatched to the office. Little difference in timing.

Also, please try to punctuate your posts if you're looking for help. Your posts make for pretty hard reading!

There is a difference. If the passport is printed in Balbriggan in the morning it is brought to Molesworth Street in 1 of 3 runs done during that day so it could be collected.

oh right thought they were done there. Sorry about the writing thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chris_c

should i worrie my tracking has been sayin Application No. Received on 14/02/2012 and has been registered?? just people on here saying that they got theirs back in a few days. should say i used the express service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Krippppyyyy

chris_c wrote: »
    should i worrie my tracking has been sayin Application No. Received on 14/02/2012 and has been registered?? just people on here saying that they got theirs back in a few days. should say i used the express service
    Sent mine off 4 weeks ago this Monday coming. Received and registered from 9th feb until today. Changed to being checked. Issue date was today(22nd). Submitted online query today and was told I should have it on Friday or early next week. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

Quick question,

I recently lost my passport and am wondering is it necessary to report it as missing to the passport office or would simply completing the 'Statement of Loss' section of the passport application form be enough on it's own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

chris_c wrote: »

Are you travelling soon? If you are, and you're stressed about it, give the Passport Office Customer Care Team a shout, they'll let you know if theres a problem. Personally I wouldn't worry, the posters here that got their passports back in a few days seem to have used the public office. Pp Express is Balbriggan, and is usually completed within ten days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

actua11 wrote: »
    Quick question,

I recently lost my passport and am wondering is it necessary to report it as missing to the passport office or would simply completing the 'Statement of Loss' section of the passport application form be enough on it's own?

Statement of Loss is enough. Just make sure you have two proofs of address, and one form of photo id when your applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

None is a big statement and its wrong.

Europes Largest airline Lufthansa explicitly state you MUST enter your name in full.
    EDIT. so thats at least one airline that requires full names, and not an insignificant one either.

I've flown with Lufthansa loads of times - have my middle name on my passport - never had it on the booking - never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

AGC wrote: »
    There is a difference. If the passport is printed in Balbriggan in the morning it is brought to Molesworth Street in 1 of 3 runs done during that day so it could be collected.

One of 2 at the moment, it was 3 last year when there was no machne in molesworth st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭miss.piggy

I applied for a passport by passport express. Is it always received within 10 working days? Am freaking out a little!! If it says on website that application is "registered" and it gives a delivery date does that mean there are no problems with the form and that it is a "valid" application?? Garda signed back of two photos but did not stamp them, I said it to him but he said signature is ok.
    Thanks!

How long ago is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Asking on behalf of a friend, they lost their passport and want to know what other ID's are acceptable. Is an older, already cancelled passport acceptable or is a northern student card accepted?? That's all they have and they want to be able to fly away with us in a few weeks.

Fly from where to where? And which airline?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Asking on behalf of a friend, they lost their passport and want to know what other ID's are acceptable. Is an older, already cancelled passport acceptable or is a northern student card accepted?? That's all they have and they want to be able to fly away with us in a few weeks.

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    Valid Passport
    Driver's licence with photo
    International student card
    National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    Bus pass with photo
    Work ID with photo
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.
    http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/visaspassports/#d.en.4568

Ryanair require passport - no exceptions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Sorry! Should of said that it's for when your reapplying for your passport through the passport office in dublin. They require another form of ID but my friend only has an old cancelled passport which was out of date last year and a northern university of ulster student card, they lost their current passport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Quick question

I'm looking to book flights tonight and just realised my passport will run out in August. Now I plan to be back home in July(leaving May) but the country I'm flying to requires you have 6 months validity on the passport

Does anyone know if I can book the flights tonight with my current passsport details and change them to my new details with the flight provider afterwards without cost

I emailed the airway but havn't heard back and cannot find anything on their website

Thanks in advance

edit: Is it even necessary to provide passport number details when booking flights!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement